is gaming a sort of brainwash...???

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ilikerome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ilikerome
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It has been said by many people that gameing is not gaming at all...it is brainwashing, hypnotisim...ect....       I am not sure to even think about this or not as i have heard of war games such as counter strike as a means of training children for war...making them the perfect soilder.

Is this true or false.....partially it could be true due to the fact that in many war games you are tought to use tactics made by tacticians...in so doing children become smarter about war and become more interested...if a time of terrorism was to occur evry childrenn would be volunterring probably due to hidden messages in games...these are also desighned to make anyone not afraid of war to keep them under control....to make them think of war as a game.

well i am hoping to hear anyones opinion...

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
i hope you are not serious......no game can come close to how horrible war is.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Well mostly gaming is just entertainment. But of course gaming, as well as watching tv can make you sorta numb to violence and teach you things, even real life military tactics. And I doubt games like America's Army are made just because the US military is so nice and wants to please the gamers. But brainwashing? Nah. Most people with average intelligence can see things as they are and don't join the army or whatever after playing games just to shoot people. I see a game like America's Army as a means of positive PR, other games like CS are just for making money, and violence sells, games give people a way to do things they couldn't do in real-life.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Play CS then go head to head with a trained soldier :P! your never going to be the perfect soldier with a game :D! Although it does help u with tactics.. Americas army is more realistic and since plp make the same moves in paintball well :P! it works, but in AA im not firing a gun im clicking a mouse that has no recoil and im sitting on my arse not panting and running
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Games DO NOT make you numb to violence. I have played violent video games (among other types of games) since I was 8 years old. Let me tell you this, when I went to war in Afghanistan and actually experienced REAL violence, I wasn't numb at all. Literally some of the scariest stuff I have ever experienced. That whole violent media makes kids numb to violence was created by a bunch of family media groups and lawyers defending dirt bag criminals who use video games as escapegoats.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Just wait until they have robot soldiers controlled by the gamers of today, pwnage. Some games are designed to be very tactical and are based on experiences from real soldiers. Most of the time this is just to make the experience more real, not to train future kid soldiers.
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
must....join...military...
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EntwineX
i hope you are not serious......no game can come close to how horrible war is.DaRockWilder
I think that's the point. People might get a bit too rosy idea of what war ect. really is like.
Games DO NOT make you numb to violence. I have played violent video games (among other types of games) since I was 8 years old. Let me tell you this, when I went to war in Afghanistan and actually experienced REAL violence, I wasn't numb at all. Literally some of the scariest stuff I have ever experienced. That whole violent media makes kids numb to violence was created by a bunch of family media groups and lawyers defending dirt bag criminals who use video games as escapegoats.dnuggs40
But had you never played any violent games or seen violence from the tv as a kid, would you had reacted even stronger to the things you witnessed. I believe yes. Tho I agree that 95% of it is bs, but that doesn't mean there isn't any truth in it.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="DaRockWilder"]i hope you are not serious......no game can come close to how horrible war is.EntwineX
I think that's the point. People might get a bit too rosy idea of what war ect. really is like.

Do you honestly think there are people out there that dumb? And if they are in fact that dumb, video games are not the problem, the problem is a human being who is unable to reason properly. The video game is a non-issue at that point, becuase ANY influence is a potentialy dangerous influence for that person...
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EntwineX
[QUOTE="EntwineX"][QUOTE="DaRockWilder"]i hope you are not serious......no game can come close to how horrible war is.dnuggs40

Do you honestly think there are people out there that dumb? And if they are in fact that dumb, video games are not the problem, the problem is a human being who is unable to reason properly. The video game is a non-issue at that point, becuase ANY influence is a potentialy dangerous influence for that person...

I think there really are people that dumb, I know there are. But I never said we should blame video games for it.
rudyroundhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rudyroundhead
Member since 2003 • 9612 Posts
No more so than television or any other form of media.  But if you did put a well trained group of soldiers up against a bunch of really good gamers in a game I put my money on the gamers.  The soldiers would use real tactics but the gamers would use things like map exploits and such that the soldiers may not think about.  
Xburn89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xburn89
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts
You die in real war.... in games your character dies.... it is not the same....
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="DaRockWilder"]i hope you are not serious......no game can come close to how horrible war is.EntwineX
Games DO NOT make you numb to violence. I have played violent video games (among other types of games) since I was 8 years old. Let me tell you this, when I went to war in Afghanistan and actually experienced REAL violence, I wasn't numb at all. Literally some of the scariest stuff I have ever experienced. That whole violent media makes kids numb to violence was created by a bunch of family media groups and lawyers defending dirt bag criminals who use video games as escapegoats.dnuggs40
But had you never played any violent games or seen violence from the tv as a kid, would you had reacted even stronger to the things you witnessed. I believe yes. Tho I agree that 95% of it is bs, but that doesn't mean there isn't any truth in it.

No, I disagree. Nothing can prepare you for real violence. And I think the reason why people believe that is they themselves have never experienced real war or violence.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dnuggs40
Just another point... The military actually trained us for war. We shot REAL guns, watched REAL battlefield footage. Trainined in hand-to-hand combat. Got discipline and war drill crammed in our heads. Were dehumanized in basic training to "toughen us up" and be better soldiers. We trained on a daily basis for war, yet that was not able to really prepare you for what you witness in war either. To imply the video games some how numbs you or "lightens" the reaction to seeing someone get blown away is just silly.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

It all depends upon individuals.

Like if someone does not take gaming seriouly , he is fine in life and with gaming.

And for opposite's take me as example ; i can't do without gaming everyday (atleast a few hours must).I never ever want to leave gaming.Most of my spare time i game.

I love gaming (my most fav thing).

cheers ...

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EntwineX
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Just another point... The military actually trained us for war. We shot REAL guns, watched REAL battlefield footage. Trainined in hand-to-hand combat. Got discipline and war drill crammed in our heads. Were dehumanized in basic training to "toughen us up" and be better soldiers. We trained on a daily basis for war, yet that was not able to really prepare you for what you witness in war either. To imply the video games some how numbs you or "lightens" the reaction to seeing someone get blown away is just silly.

There has been plenty of studies for e.g. ones where kids play games, and then afterwards watch real-life violence on TV while their physical reactions are being monitored. Quite clearly the ones playing non-violent games reacted stronger to the real-life violence shown to them, than those that had played violent games. Even tho I don't see all those studies as a proof that video games would be harmfull to people, especially if the age ratings are followed. I still can't 100% certainly deny it either. People CAN be influenced through media, otherwise we wouldn't have commercials. Everything affects us especially as kids, otherwise what we are would purely be the result of our genes, and our upbringing would make no difference. Whether it makes a significant difference or if video games affect more or less than for e.g. tv I don't know.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dnuggs40

They are watching violence on tv, which is not the same as seeing or experiencing violence first hand. I agree video game violence can make someone less apt to get stirred by tv violence, but again, that doesn't really say anything. Both are just forms of media, and has no relationship to actually experiencing violence.

I don't think those studies show anything surprising...I mean cmon, is it any surprise one form of media desensitises you to another form of media?  Yes the tv media they showed might be real images of violence, but the kids are still watching from the comfort of some lab.

And whats silly is these family groups then run around waving these findings, now claiming that it actually desensitises kids to real violence, when watching images from the saftey of you home has absolutely no correlation to actually experiencing danger. 

Captain-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Captain-Seal
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

I don't think it brainwashes you at all. Because fps and shooter games are for our entertainment but when you enter a real battlefield, I'm not of the military so I wouldn't know myself, some of the scariest things could happen. Another thing is that in real life the enemy would probally have more sense than to stand in the middle of the road even when being fired upon like some ai. Games also may make you seem not afraid of war because you can take 4 bullets to the chest and you'll still be charging at the enemy but in real life one bullet itself can mean death or maybe losing a limb. Also, in video games you don't mind dying because you get to restart.

mobomasterguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mobomasterguru
Member since 2003 • 420 Posts
Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dnuggs40
Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...mobomasterguru
Actually, you have been brainwashed by crap you hear on forums...
mobomasterguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mobomasterguru

[QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...dnuggs40

Nope I have seen first-hand the effects on my brother and friends. Besides, people actually DIE while playing WoW if that isn't literally giving their lives then I don't know what it is.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...mobomasterguru

Nope I have seen first-hand the effects on my brother and friends. Besides, people actually DIE while playing WoW if that isn't literally giving their lives then I don't know what it is.

lol Like 4 people have died playing WoW, out of like 8 MILLION who have played it. You realize that walking down the street is more dangerous? And WoW had nothing to do with your brother, he just couldn't control himself and had no self respect for himself. Newsflash! People abuse all kinds of things, drugs, sex, cigarrettes, exercise, and many many other different things. Just becuase some people end up abusing them, does not mean its the actual "thing" that is to be held responsible. It's the person.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EntwineX

They are watching violence on tv, which is not the same as seeing or experiencing violence first hand. I agree video game violence can make someone less apt to get stirred by tv violence, but again, that doesn't really say anything. Both are just forms of media, and has no relationship to actually experiencing violence.

I don't think those studies show anything surprising...I mean cmon, is it any surprise one form of media desensitises you to another form of media? Yes the tv media they showed might be real images of violence, but the kids are still watching from the comfort of some lab.

And whats silly is these family groups then run around waving these findings, now claiming that it actually desensitises kids to real violence, when watching images from the saftey of you home has absolutely no correlation to actually experiencing danger.

dnuggs40
I agree. I did notice that paradox myself. But maybe in a smaller scale it possibly makes them more prone to rely to violence in certain situations. And even if it would only desensitise to violence shown on tv, it's still not a good thing. This for e.g. makes it easier for politicians to start wars, since most people never actually experience it first hand, they see it on tv but fail to symphatize to other people's suffering, so they allow it, or deny help.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

I don't think those studies show anything surprising...I mean cmon, is it any surprise one form of media desensitises you to another form of media? Yes the tv media they showed might be real images of violence, but the kids are still watching from the comfort of some lab.

EntwineX
I agree. I did notice that paradox myself. But maybe in a smaller scale it possibly makes them more prone to rely to violence in certain situations. And even if it would only desensitise to violence shown on tv, it's still not a good thing. This for e.g. makes it easier for politicians to start wars, since most people never actually experience it first hand, they see it on tv but fail to symphatize to other people's suffering, so they allow it, or deny help.

I can agree to those points, although I think video games are the least of our worries in that aspects. The goverment (including the army) already does a bang up job desensitising us to other people's suffering by attaching certain terms to a group of people. This kind of thing has gone on waaay before any kind of electronic media though lol.
dareevil87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dareevil87
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts
trust me, a counter strike strat is not gonna make a kid smarter at real war
dareevil87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dareevil87
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts
trust me, a counter strike strat is not gonna make a kid smarter at real war
Skamiplan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skamiplan
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts
must....join...military...justheretodl124
lol
TileToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TileToad
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts
Some interesting points are raised in this thread and I certainly believe games can put people into a trance-like state. Though, I very much doubt games are developed with the idea in mind of going to war (although dnuggs40 was apparently tricked ;)). These war games are just a reflection of us, it's based on who we are, not what "they" want us to become. Unfortunately, however, some people like to see things backwards. Especially people that want to benefit (financially) from sueing game developers.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dnuggs40
Some interesting points are raised in this thread and I certainly believe games can put people into a trance-like state. Though, I very much doubt games are developed with the idea in mind of going to war (although dnuggs40 was apparently tricked ;)). These war games are just a reflection of us, it's based on who we are, not what "they" want us to become. Unfortunately, however, some people like to see things backwards. Especially people that want to benefit (financially) from sueing game developers.TileToad
Tricked in what? Joining the military? I joined before Americas Army was even out, and only joined for the college money :) This was also during a peacful time in our country, but we all know what happened next :(
mobomasterguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mobomasterguru
[QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...dnuggs40

lol Like 4 people have died playing WoW, out of like 8 MILLION who have played it. You realize that walking down the street is more dangerous? And WoW had nothing to do with your brother, he just couldn't control himself and had no self respect for himself. Newsflash! People abuse all kinds of things, drugs, sex, cigarrettes, exercise, and many many other different things. Just becuase some people end up abusing them, does not mean its the actual "thing" that is to be held responsible. It's the person.

If thats true then its sad. Looks like tens of thousands of people can't control themselves while playing WoW.

ilikerome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ilikerome
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

hi..i go you message to my blog...im thankng you for your opinion..it was all based onresearch i was doig on possibilites...theorys of war ect...but im glad you could tel me what you thought...so thank you

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Are you serious? Sounds to me like you're the one getting brainwashed. Those "many people" are people like Jack Thompson and Hillary Clinton who know nothing about games. Pressing a button is nothing like firing a gun and in war there are no checkpoints or respawns. We are in a time of war and terrorism and you don't see every gamer in America signing up for military service do you? If you really believe that bull**** then you are the one who needs their head examined.
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
Just wait until they have robot soldiers controlled by the gamers of todaynutcrackr
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts
That's why America's Army is free
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#36 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...mobomasterguru

Nope I have seen first-hand the effects on my brother and friends. Besides, people actually DIE while playing WoW if that isn't literally giving their lives then I don't know what it is.

If thats true then its sad. Looks like tens of thousands of people can't control themselves while playing WoW.

There are millions who can't control the amount of drugs they take or the amount of alcohol they consume. 

Video Gaming can become an addiction like anything else.

Ever watch "Intervention" on A&E? There is this one guy on there that just plays games all day without a job or anything.. just mooching off his folks.. THAT IS ADDICTION. 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Just another point... The military actually trained us for war. We shot REAL guns, watched REAL battlefield footage. Trainined in hand-to-hand combat. Got discipline and war drill crammed in our heads. Were dehumanized in basic training to "toughen us up" and be better soldiers. We trained on a daily basis for war, yet that was not able to really prepare you for what you witness in war either. To imply the video games some how numbs you or "lightens" the reaction to seeing someone get blown away is just silly.dnuggs40

Those are all very good points.  If people think that video games prepare you for violence, then real training must do the best job, right?  Fortunately or unfortunately, as Dnuggs said, there really is no way to prepare for what you see I suppose, so how in the hell is a game going to desensitize you.

Personally I would sort of enjoy some gung-ho pasty-skinned CS player going off to fight terrorists.  First, he problably couldnt load his gun, know where the safety is, and problably couldnt pull the trigger once an enemy was in his sights.  And second, he would problably piss himself silly after a bomb went off 50 yards down the street.  I know I would.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mobomasterguru"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...Alkpaz

Nope I have seen first-hand the effects on my brother and friends. Besides, people actually DIE while playing WoW if that isn't literally giving their lives then I don't know what it is.

If thats true then its sad. Looks like tens of thousands of people can't control themselves while playing WoW.

There are millions who can't control the amount of drugs they take or the amount of alcohol they consume. 

Ever watch "Intervention" on A&E? There is this one guy on there that just plays games all day without a job or anything.. just mooching off his folks.. THAT IS ADDICTION. 

Really?  So if we locked this man inside of a room for a week or two he would start convulsing, would physically get sick, get a fever, and potentially die?

All this brainwashing crap is total BS.  If anything, games are the one form of media out there WITH NO AGENDA!  They just are there, violence or no violence, for the sole reason of providing fun.  They dont have any political statements to make (unless its theory, as in a post-apoclyptic US for example), no social statements.

If anyone gets "brainwashed" by games its their own sick mind doing it, misinterpreting what the game says or by taking the subject matter of the game into a realistic frame of thought, which is just downright dangerous with works of fiction.

Please, dont make an issue out of something that doesnt deserve to be one.

Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts
yvan eht nioj!
Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts
[QUOTE="Alkpaz"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...mrbojangles25

Really? So if we locked this man inside of a room for a week or two he would start convulsing, would physically get sick, get a fever, and potentially die?

There are physiological addictions (what you're describing) and psychological addiction (as in the case of gaming) which don't necessarily have any physical withdrawal symptoms, but it's still an addiction. People can be addicted to Sex, TV, even physical exercise, I don't see why gaming is any different.  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Alkpaz"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...Uncle_Tbag

Really? So if we locked this man inside of a room for a week or two he would start convulsing, would physically get sick, get a fever, and potentially die?

There are physiological addictions (what you're describing) and psychological addiction (as in the case of gaming) which don't necessarily have any physical withdrawal symptoms, but it's still an addiction. People can be addicted to Sex, TV, even physical exercise, I don't see why gaming is any different.  

Hmmm good points.  Although personally I call those mental addictions "obsessions" because theyre under your control.  When you reach a certain point with chemical addictions, you cant help yourself.

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

It has been said by many people that gameing is not gaming at all...it is brainwashing, hypnotisim...ect....       I am not sure to even think about this or not as i have heard of war games such as counter strike as a means of training children for war...making them the perfect soilder.

Is this true or false.....partially it could be true due to the fact that in many war games you are tought to use tactics made by tacticians...in so doing children become smarter about war and become more interested...if a time of terrorism was to occur evry childrenn would be volunterring probably due to hidden messages in games...these are also desighned to make anyone not afraid of war to keep them under control....to make them think of war as a game.

well i am hoping to hear anyones opinion...

ilikerome

I don't think I understand your question. I wonder if you have a solid grasp of the meaning of the term "brainwashing." Anything in life, experienced in repetition, can condition a person to think or behave in a new way. Of course games affect the way players think about violence and warfare--not in the way game opponents claim (Jack Thompson is a fool), but in the same way constantly watching sports on TV might affect the way you view your own athleticism, or the way you toss a football. But that's all complicated stuff--I don't think there are hard and fast rules for how games, books, movies or anything else affect people. We're too varied, and our brains too complicated. Everyone gets a different payout from playing games, or watching movies.

The problem I have with your question is that brainwashing is a deliberate act performed by people upon other people. A tactical FPS which is specifically and secretly designed, for instance, to program you to inexplicably dance a foxtrot, naked, in your backyard at 3am each morning might be considered a brainwashing tool... because tricking your brain was the plan of the game designers.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that the development eam behind Counter Strike is operating a scheme to condition gamers into warriors. Consumers, maybe, but not warriors.

I think the question you're really asking is what sort of effect violent games have on gamers, and good gracious, man: that's a massive question, with an answer large enough to fill 5 or 6 competing doctoral dissertations. There's no cut and dry response; not a smart one, anyhow. There's nothing more complicated and less understood than the human mind. I do think we can agree, for the most part, on two claims, though: 1) Violent entertainment does not, as a rule, generate violent impulses in people, but also 2) Violent entertainment does not leave us unaffected. It does, as a rule, alter the way we approach matters of fighting, death, strategy, war, conflict and so on in our lives. Exactly how depends on the person and situation, and whether it's good or bad depends on the person and situation, but it's a powerful cultrual influence, just like any other. Might as well come to terms with that, so we can fend off the Thompson-ite jerks easier.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Gaming is a money making industry, plain and simple. The effects it has on different individuals is solely based off of that particular person's behavior, whether they have an addictive personality or other psychological dependencies are the variables. Although, there are State Sponsored games like America's Army and one by the Navy with other intentions in mind, not to mention a new game coming out in Iran very similar to what America's Army is, but from their point of view. But then again, who can't figure that out.

As far as brainwashing is concerned, it's everywhere in the real world. The most popular and mainstream form of brainwashing is advertising, which we are bombarded with on daily basis. In-game advertising would be the only brainwashing besides state sponsored games, but from whoever is selling a product, service, or image.  More or less, it's just a means of seducing  a person to part with their money more easily. And now the circle is complete, as it all boils down to money.

Brainwashing is used in politics all the time. TV and Talk Radio (and another function which I won't bring up out of respect for others) are the two most popular avenues of brainwashing outside of advertising, although ironically enough, advertising is found within the two medias as part of their business model. You'll do more harm to your psyche by watching an hour of the news or listening to a popular talk radio host than playing any video game, State Sponsored or not.  Political brainwashing is prominent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see private think tanks in Washington get into the video game industry for alternative purposes in the future.
Gridiron123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gridiron123
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts

Some pretty intelligent points and posts are flying around.
The only problem with this issue is that this is a new phenomen and most people we use for guidance and wisdom haven't experinced this first hand nor have the benefit of history to guide them. After all, realistic gaming is incredibly youthful while 80's gaming itself is already dead. The only few similitaries they have together is a time commimentint and their relative brain stimulation; but other then an occasional gathering, whose to say Pen-and-Paper RPGs have had a lesser effect?

Yet at the same time, this phenomen is so young (MMORPGS for instance) that the intellectual community has yet to even react to this uprise; more or less develop a code or some sort of sanctioned philisophical thought that could allow us to "listen" to the ripples created by the industry and to "see" the future effects and debate the creation of this new media outlet. Morality, economics, the adaption and rewriting of Human Culture, and the formation of a fully fresh interactive media outlet is yet to be fully addressed with clarity. (Due to it's youth)

Nevertheless, gaming is certainly not a form of corruptive brainwash by any circumstance as much as it is a form of a Interactive Media Outlet and a Cultural occupative hobby. The very same click that makes the pong ball bounce is being used to "simulate" murder and the greatest scales imaginable. To the conscience being, it is more then apparant, it's daughstrfully horrible. But to brain, does it truly understand the difference. After all, isn't it but stimuli to a react-reward equation.

(But by definition though, a Media, in order to be effective, must have the ability to Brainwash, for it must grab attention and control in order for it to be acceptable, but I feel I've written my fair share of text rather then going on.)

In this very end, Technology will continue to push the boundries of our lives and further shape the Human Race to whatever it becomes, good or bad. But for all I know, Technology has never been a portyral of reality; only an escape, an alternative, or at the very, very best; a crude depiction.

As for me, though, I will always continue to hit the button to grab that one last bannana :D

talanto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 talanto
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts
I believe that gaming is not brainwashing.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#46 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
[QUOTE="Uncle_Tbag"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Alkpaz"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="mobomasterguru"]Yes it is just ask the WoW people. They have been brainwashed into giving Blizzard their money, lives and souls...mrbojangles25

Hmmm good points. Although personally I call those mental addictions "obsessions" because theyre under your control. When you reach a certain point with chemical addictions, you cant help yourself. 

There are chemical reactions that happen in the brain that promote "addictive" behavior.. much like ecstasy is not physically addicting but the neuron synapses get deformed and thus causes brain damage.  But that release of chemicals is what makes people use the drug... the same similar thing happens to a gaming addict.. the pleasure senses in the brain get hightened.. thus releasing more endorphins.. this is the case in things like sex. Anything that causes the brain to release chemicals can be considered "addicting". True there are two types of addiction..but what occurs in the brain of the individual at the chemical level is what defines "addiction". Adrenaline.. or epinephrine rushes for example.  

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

There are chemical reactions that happen in the brain that promote "addictive" behavior.. much like ecstasy is not physically addicting but the neuron synapses get deformed and thus causes brain damage. But that release of chemicals is what makes people use the drug... the same similar thing happens to a gaming addict.. the pleasure senses in the brain get hightened.. thus releasing more endorphins.. this is the case in things like sex. Anything that causes the brain to release chemicals can be considered "addicting". True there are two types of addiction..but what occurs in the brain of the individual at the chemical level is what defines "addiction". Adrenaline.. or epinephrine rushes for example.

Alkpaz

Yes, and it's why Alcoholism is viewed as a disease of the brain(which has been proved through physiological testing), rather than behavioral shortcomings, which is the "old school" train of thought. As science has progressed with the study of the human brain, our entire understanding and view of many things have changed. Good points.

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

I love these kinds of threads: the ones that actually foster intellectual discussion rather than degenerate into flaming and pointless argument.

I don't think gaming can brainwash you, I believe that any sane person is capable of seperating reality and fantasy, and that the only people who could possibly be affected by video games are people who lack the ability to make the distinction between the two.

I also disagree with the studies that have "shown increases in violent behavior in children." The only thing that these studies show is that video gaming increases brain activity. My favorite was the one that showed that people playing racing games are using the part of the brain that governs pattern recognition and things like that, while the gamers playing violent games were using the part that governs emotion, and things of that nature. they completely ignored the fact that racing games are won and lost on your ability to hit the best line possible, with little room for emotion. The violent game they studied was a war game (MOH: Frontline), which involves finding cover, dodging bullets, and fighting one of the most universally hated groups in history. Am I the only one who thinks that an increase in emotion is perfectly explainable without jumping to the conclusion that it makes kids violent?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts

I love these kinds of threads: the ones that actually foster intellectual discussion rather than degenerate into flaming and pointless argument.

I don't think gaming can brainwash you, I believe that any sane person is capable of seperating reality and fantasy, and that the only people who could possibly be affected by video games are people who lack the ability to make the distinction between the two.

I also disagree with the studies that have "shown increases in violent behavior in children." The only thing that these studies show is that video gaming increases brain activity. My favorite was the one that showed that people playing racing games are using the part of the brain that governs pattern recognition and things like that, while the gamers playing violent games were using the part that governs emotion, and things of that nature. they completely ignored the fact that racing games are won and lost on your ability to hit the best line possible, with little room for emotion. The violent game they studied was a war game (MOH: Frontline), which involves finding cover, dodging bullets, and fighting one of the most universally hated groups in history. Am I the only one who thinks that an increase in emotion is perfectly explainable without jumping to the conclusion that it makes kids violent?

Mediocre_man90

No you're not the only one, because I completely agree with you. 

jjfz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 jjfz
Member since 2004 • 336 Posts
I think what you're getting at is called desensitization. That's totally different from brain washing, but anyways it does make people less sensitive to violence. Of course, different people get different effects, some are more or less desensitized by games. Because since you have experienced violence and war through games, it requires more stimulation to get the same effect. Well, I guess it does serves to much us less sensitive to death, killing, war, and violence.