Is Elder Scrolls Online Really That Bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

The game is on sale for less than my minimum and was wondering if the game was really as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I heard bad things about mounts and questing and how generic it is, and I can kind of see that, but I also played a little during a free weekend and it didnt seem THAT bad lol. BUT, I do understand that I havent experienced the whole thing and even though a game like Guild Wars 2 is technically a "good game" sometimes they dont really capture you.

Just want an honest concise answer and Ill put the game to rest if I have to.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

@Gamesterpheonix: Its just meh, when you have to pay for the game and a subscription to play the game, people expect more

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:

@Gamesterpheonix: Its just meh, when you have to pay for the game and a subscription to play the game, people expect more

This would be correct if you had to pay for a subscription now, which you don't. I picked it up for $12 on GMG so you cant go wrong at that price.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

@Nick3306 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

This would be correct if you had to pay for a subscription now, which you don't. I picked it up for $12 on GMG so you cant go wrong at that price.

I stand corrected, you are right they did drop the subscription aspect of the game. If you are interested in it, it might be worth it at a cheap price with some friends, but the game isnt really bad just not great. If you arent going to play with friends I would suggest skyrim over eso if you dont have it.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I've look at the graphics in a Youtube video and I did not want to play at all.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

For $12 at GMG you've got nothing to lose. It's a typical modern MMORPG.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I just started playing with a buddy and I am currently level 7. I really enjoy the game, but it still has that new game smell!

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:
@Nick3306 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

I stand corrected, you are right they did drop the subscription aspect of the game. If you are interested in it, it might be worth it at a cheap price with some friends, but the game isnt really bad just not great. If you arent going to play with friends I would suggest skyrim over eso if you dont have it.

YA the only reason I even bought ESO at that price was because of how much I enjoyed skyrim. I am usually not an mmo fan as they tend to all have awful combat that turns me off.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@Gamesterpheonix:

No, it isn't that bad at all.I enjoyed it when I played it for a bout 3 months, I moved on because new games keep coming out.

Whether it suits your preference, thats only for you to decide.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Gamesterpheonix said:

The game is on sale for less than my minimum and was wondering if the game was really as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I heard bad things about mounts and questing and how generic it is, and I can kind of see that, but I also played a little during a free weekend and it didnt seem THAT bad lol. BUT, I do understand that I havent experienced the whole thing and even though a game like Guild Wars 2 is technically a "good game" sometimes they dont really capture you.

Just want an honest concise answer and Ill put the game to rest if I have to.

I wrote a review about the game

http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/user-reviews/2200-12650298/

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Well, I ended up getting it and so far I actually like it. Its more than Guild Wars 2 in many regards. I know GW2 is great and I own it but there were many aspects of the game that were a turnoff. ESO is more traditional in a few aspects and that is more of a draw for me. So far the voiced quests and combat and responsiveness are nice. I feel progress more steadily and actually want to do the quests to progress. I mean, I got it for $12 and as long as I level and eventually play PVP I think Ill get more than my monies worth. Im glad I gave it a try.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Talking about ESO:

http://games.on.net/2015/07/the-elder-scrolls-oniline-expansion-timeline/

serballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 serballin
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

@OP, I was in your exact position a few weeks ago, except without having previously played GW2 or any MMOs for that matter.

I really enjoyed all of the Elder Scrolls games and think that is a big contributor to also enjoying TESO as much as I did. Both the original and Tamriel Unlimited received 6/10 scores from Gamespot, which I definitely disagree with despite finding that Gamespot ratings are usually spot on. This game is exactly what Elder Scrolls players wanted: a MMO version of an Elder Scrolls game.

Now I've also bought GW2 and I have to say the questing in TESO is so much better. That said, I find I'm enjoying GW2 more. Seems easier to get lost in for some reason? Can't really explain that one.

justpcthings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 justpcthings
Member since 2015 • 30 Posts

I played the beta with a friend of mine. Neither of us were impressed with it. It just didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game at all, just some bland MMORPG. Obviously, they've made changes since it came out of beta and the decision to drop the subscription is an intriguing aspect, but I still don't think I'll go for the full game.

Maybe Elder Scrolls games are just better built for the single-player experience.