If you had Oculus Rift right now, what would you play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12807 Posts

I'm currently playing a none demanding game that looks marvelous (I had to point that because of the jokes that're coming up soon *ugh* Mordor *ugh* Within) and I'm stunned by the graphics, atmosphere that the game created thanks to it's wonderful audio tracks, it has a cool narator that reminds me sort of Alan Wake and at the same time Slenderman - by the way I'm talking about The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Anyhow, I play with the controller, since you don't do much besides walking a lot and I love the vibrations (would pay for vibrating mouse/keyboard with analog movement control - swear to god) and I was thinking the only thing that really would enchance this experience is VR.

Now, I already know for fact that simulation games such as racing, flight or even the most boring thing like Train Simulator could be awesome with VR.

The Question is: what games would you like to play with VR or wish that were fully supported by VR?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Nothing really sounds that appealing with an Oculus. The only thing I could imagine myself playing on it is perhaps some sort of racing game. Maybe play a race or two before I get a head ache. I don't know though - seems to distract from whatever experience I'm going for rather than add to it (just like another gimmick...*cough* 3D *cough*).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

Nothing really sounds that appealing with an Oculus. The only thing I could imagine myself playing on it is perhaps some sort of racing game. Maybe play a race or two before I get a head ache.

Now you can't judge Oculus Rift for what it's being at it's current state, might give head ache to some people after long use, but we're not talking about that - I'm more talking about a perfect world where VR at it's finest level.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

does assetto corsa support it? That's about the only type of game where i'd want to use it.... anything with a cockpit i suppose. Although I still don't like the idea of it being strapped to my face.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Nothing really sounds that appealing with an Oculus. The only thing I could imagine myself playing on it is perhaps some sort of racing game. Maybe play a race or two before I get a head ache.

Now you can't judge Oculus Rift for what it's being at it's current state, might give head ache to some people after long use, but we're not talking about that - I'm more talking about a perfect world where VR at it's finest level.

Any screens strapped to my eyes for any period of time is going to give me a head-ache. Not one aspect about having screens strapped to my eyes sound enjoyable, pleasurable, or fun. Sounds restricting, uncomfortable, and gimmicky. Last time I checked, there's no alternative VR solution at the moment, so as a whole I find the concept of VR to be a gimmick. If I were 12 years old, I know for a fact I would love to jump on this, but I'm not 12 years old anymore...

Let me know when we have Holodecks. That might be when I find VR useful for entertainment or escapism. :P Until then, I'll pass. I don't find the experience to be immersive enough conceptually to warrant my cash. Also, just about anything I like to enjoy, has to be something I can conveniently enjoy with someone else. Oculus is really just a 1-man experience, and I'm rarely playing games by myself. Gaming for me is a social experience, and the Oculus isn't very social. I feel like the Oculus will carve a strong niche but will never be mainstream. I could be wrong - but hey, let's wait and see. I'm not going to say the Oculus is crap. I'm sure it's the best at what it does. It's just currently in no shape, way, or form, for me. :)

ryan347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ryan347
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

Ok there mr negative nancy.

Dirt 3 or any shooter comes to mind (call of duty, killzone, or how about battlefront 2).

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Any screens strapped to my eyes for any period of time is going to give me a head-ache. Not one aspect about having screens strapped to my eyes sound enjoyable, pleasurable, or fun. Sounds restricting, uncomfortable, and gimmicky. Last time I checked, there's no alternative VR solution at the moment, so as a whole I find the concept of VR to be a gimmick. If I were 12 years old, I know for a fact I would love to jump on this, but I'm not 12 years old anymore...

Let me know when we have Holodecks. That might be when I find VR useful for entertainment or escapism. :P

You didn't check very hard. There are several competing or comparable products on the horizon although the Oculus looks the most appealing. Hell, Sony is making one for the PS4.

@PredatorRules So the annoying thing is I -should- be playing games with an Oculus Rift right now because I ordered one back in July and my order is hung up for some reason. The games that I'm most looking forward to (besides trying every tech demo I can get my hands on) are Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous for starters. Both (now) have TrackIR support which also works but Star Citizen also uses head tracking for aiming gimbal mounted guns which is really hard to use with a TrackIR but I'm hoping that it'll be easier with the Oculus (where I turn my head to look as opposed to I turn my head but look sideways at the monitor).

Strike Suit Zero I had a lot of fun with and while they never added TrackIR support they have supported the Oculus all along. Alien Isolation coming up is one of the reasons I ordered an Oculus all those months ago so I'd have it before the game came out. Horror games in general are one of the reasons I wanted one.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Let me know when we have Holodecks. That might be when I find VR useful for entertainment or escapism. :P

You didn't check very hard. There are several competing or comparable products on the horizon although the Oculus looks the most appealing. Hell, Sony is making one for the PS4.

Lol...I don't think you read my post :p

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime: What part of "Last time I checked, there's no alternative VR solution at the moment" is unclear? If you're nitpicking over their literal availability right now, who cares? Technically the Oculus isn't "out" either but within a year or so there will be several different VR headsets on the market and for different platforms. I have no idea if VR will actually become anything or not, but arguing that it's a gimmick because there's only one is flawed because there are actually several.

-Byshop

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the witcher , skyrim , i would love to see OR , but i m more tempted to do some test with this baby , there is alot of ideas not gaming i wannt to try ,my field of expertise with some software will do me alot of trails for this tech . sadly i couldn't get one of these till now , but i m working on it .

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Let me know when we have Holodecks. That might be when I find VR useful for entertainment or escapism. :P Until then, I'll pass. I don't find the experience to be immersive enough conceptually to warrant my cash. Also, just about anything I like to enjoy, has to be something I can conveniently enjoy with someone else. Oculus is really just a 1-man experience, and I'm rarely playing games by myself. Gaming for me is a social experience, and the Oculus isn't very social. I feel like the Oculus will carve a strong niche but will never be mainstream. I could be wrong - but hey, let's wait and see. I'm not going to say the Oculus is crap. I'm sure it's the best at what it does. It's just currently in no shape, way, or form, for me. :)

Ah you're stepping into the finest generation Holograms, I saw a few stuff - nothing really impressive, but then again not many companies invested money on research on that subject.

Yes Oculus is 1 man experience that is true, but if you haven't noticed all yougster generation is stuck into their god damn smartphones and not just them - even people at their 20s, so you might just stuck a screen infront of their face - I think that's why Facebook acquired them XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Elite Dangerous. Sadly I own neither. :(

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GeryGo  Moderator

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules So the annoying thing is I -should- be playing games with an Oculus Rift right now because I ordered one back in July and my order is hung up for some reason. The games that I'm most looking forward to (besides trying every tech demo I can get my hands on) are Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous for starters. Both (now) have TrackIR support which also works but Star Citizen also uses head tracking for aiming gimbal mounted guns which is really hard to use with a TrackIR but I'm hoping that it'll be easier with the Oculus (where I turn my head to look as opposed to I turn my head but look sideways at the monitor).

Strike Suit Zero I had a lot of fun with and while they never added TrackIR support they have supported the Oculus all along. Alien Isolation coming up is one of the reasons I ordered an Oculus all those months ago so I'd have it before the game came out. Horror games in general are one of the reasons I wanted one.

-Byshop

Yep, horror survival games - would love to play Alien with VR, anything with a cockpit - that is true, imagine playing F1 games at 350 km/h or even Mechwarrior Online.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

If I had it right now, I'd play "The vanishing of Ethan Carter". A really gorgeous first person exploration title. I'd also probably check out Outlast and well any first person game...although I don't know what games work on Oculus. Haunted House: Cryptic writings might also be quite enjoyable on one.

I wonder if you can use the Rift just as a regular monitor for games that don't support VR? If so, can you force 3D on non native games? Personally I'm excited to further immerse myself with the Rift as apposed to using the TV and even though some consider 3D a gimmick...for some native titles and on a good TV, 3D looked awesome. Trine 2 and Madness Returns for example looked extremely well under 3D on mine. Unfortunately some TV's (usually the cheap ones that most get) didn't do 3D justice and ghosting was an issue but also developers didn't make too many native titles ...and the PS3 just flat out didn't have the hardware power to do real 3D, it looked like some halfassed quasi 3D.

So by my own experience I really think most people just never got to have a good 3D experience with it and the glasses never helped either. The Rift probably won't be comfortable for long gaming periods that the basement nerd generation is accustomed to but for us normal people that don't excessively play games beyond 2 hours at a time if that, I think it'll do just fine.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Oculus Rift seems like one of those things that's awesome for a week and then you put it in your closest and never see it again.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@pimphand_gamer said:

If I had it right now, I'd play "The vanishing of Ethan Carter". A really gorgeous first person exploration title. I'd also probably check out Outlast and well any first person game...although I don't know what games work on Oculus. Haunted House: Cryptic writings might also be quite enjoyable on one.

I wonder if you can use the Rift just as a regular monitor for games that don't support VR? If so, can you force 3D on non native games? Personally I'm excited to further immerse myself with the Rift as apposed to using the TV and even though some consider 3D a gimmick...for some native titles and on a good TV, 3D looked awesome. Trine 2 and Madness Returns for example looked extremely well under 3D on mine. Unfortunately some TV's (usually the cheap ones that most get) didn't do 3D justice and ghosting was an issue but also developers didn't make too many native titles ...and the PS3 just flat out didn't have the hardware power to do real 3D, it looked like some halfassed quasi 3D.

So by my own experience I really think most people just never got to have a good 3D experience with it and the glasses never helped either. The Rift probably won't be comfortable for long gaming periods that the basement nerd generation is accustomed to but for us normal people that don't excessively play games beyond 2 hours at a time if that, I think it'll do just fine.

There's already Galaxy Gear VR which is wireless but is not as powerful as Oculus Rift (able to game at none demanding games such as CS etc), but that's a progression.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Off the top of my head, I don't remember many of the games that are oculus supported, but I would attempt to play TF2.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Also that bomb diffusing game (the name forgets me) sounds ultra fun with people around you. I imagine it would also be a good social experiment/exercise for classrooms. Seeing how the students deal with a stress-fully situation and how much trust they put in one another would be a good self-discovery job for them.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Freespace 1 and 2, the original Thief games, and probably Skyrim to see how it looks.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I'd probably give Skyrim another go with VR

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

Skyrim and Half Life

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#22 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Skyrim, then some sort of space trading game, like X, Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I am considerably more interested in the Totem. As far as I understand it. It doesn't need support, the game only needs to have 3d support.

That being said, any FPS game, or First person game period.

Say the new Alien Isolation, Outlast, CODs/BFs/TFs/Armas/ tons of indie FPS games. Some flying/space games for sure too.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Assuming Skyrim works well with the Rift I'd go with that. If not I'll play Half Life 2 since I haven't played it in forever.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Any of my favorite first person games like STALKER or Half Life.

I can't really envision what the experience would be like for any other genre.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Elite Dangerous and Project Cars. That's the two major games I know of that will support the rift. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter would be great in VR. I don't even know if the rift will be a major success, or be a flop. It's not going to be the rift that decides the outcome, but the amount of decent games that will use it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Well I can safely conclude everyone is lying.

cybercrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cybercrime
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Well I hope I can play everything I have in mind

Ace Combat, Gran Turismo, Dead Island and even online games like RO2, Rohan, Dragon Nest, Combat Arms

pretty old games but I just wonder what will be the experience if this will be in Oculus

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I can't wait for the oculus to hit the shelves. I would play things like Skyrim in a heartbeat. There is a huge appeal of being lost in a fantasy world and if the Oculus puts me in it, oh man. That would be the best.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

FSX or Dirt 3.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

" You're receiving this email because your Oculus Order #JO-0204490 is about to ship."

Woot.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeryGo  Moderator

@Byshop said:

" You're receiving this email because your Oculus Order #JO-0204490 is about to ship."

Woot.

-Byshop

DAMN, I wish I had the same email, even if they were mistaken I wouldn't say no. :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

@Byshop said:

Woot.

-Byshop

DAMN, I wish I had the same email, even if they were mistaken I wouldn't say no. :D

I ordered it around 7-15, so it's been long awaited. Order now and you might have it by the end of the year.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeryGo  Moderator

@Byshop said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Byshop said:

Woot.

-Byshop

I ordered it around 7-15, so it's been long awaited. Order now and you might have it by the end of the year.

-Byshop

LOL, nah I'll wait for the finished product

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

@Byshop said:

@PredatorRules said:

-Byshop

LOL, nah I'll wait for the finished product

Not a bad idea. If I knew it were coming out early next year I would too, but it's more likely to be out in late 2015 so if I only get a year of use out of a DK2 then that's worth $350 to me. I am glad I held off until the DK2, though.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

Scheduled Delivery:Friday, 10/03/2014, By End of Day

I'm practically giddy.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GeryGo  Moderator

@Byshop said:

I'm practically giddy.

-Byshop

Planning to try The Vanishing of Ehan Carter?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If it had support (I have no doubt that it will at some point) id play Arma 3.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I would see how dark it would be with it turned off :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Byshop  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

@Byshop said:

I'm practically giddy.

-Byshop

Planning to try The Vanishing of Ehan Carter?

Thanks for reminding me. Yes, that was one that was on my list. I'll pick it up now.

-Byshop