• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ahmedkandil
Member since 2004 • 2328 Posts

i got battlefield 2 and im getting only 15fps! my laptop has:

intel celeron M 1.7ghz

1346mb ram

256mb video ram (ATI radeon Xpress 200m)

im wondering if anyone with this chipset who playes bf2 or 2142 can tell me what to do to get more fps.

and please i dont want to be told my card is bad. i know that and i dont need to hear it from you.

venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
Umm celeron? radeon xpress? I think those are your problems. But I'm not a tech head. You don't want to hear it, but thats the PROBLEM. lol.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
venom is right, wth performance were you expecting anyway with those specs.
ranglah33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ranglah33
Member since 2006 • 400 Posts

intel celeron M 1.7ghz

1346mb ram

im wondering if anyone with this chipset who playes bf2 or 2142 can tell me what to do to get more fps.

and please i dont want to be told my card is bad. i know that and i dont need to hear it from you.

ahmedkandil

your card is bad.

ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ahmedkandil
[QUOTE="venomblack"]Umm celeron? radeon xpress? I think those are your problems. But I'm not a tech head. You don't want to hear it, but thats the PROBLEM. lol.

yes i know. but i also know that there are people who play this game on MEDIUM who dont seem to be having any trouble..... and in response to warsnake i was expecting 20-25 fps....thats playable for me.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="ahmedkandil"][QUOTE="venomblack"]Umm celeron? radeon xpress? I think those are your problems. But I'm not a tech head. You don't want to hear it, but thats the PROBLEM. lol.

and in response to warsnake i was expecting 20-25 fps....thats playable for me.

You were severely overestimating your laptop's power. Celeron's and the Xpress chipset are basically the last things you want to use for playing games if you can avoid it.
MindlessTeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 MindlessTeef
Member since 2003 • 1392 Posts

Celeron + Modern Game = DISSAPOINTMENT

Celeron's are budget CPU's ment for office use... not games. The ATi card in question won't help either... at least you have a good amount of RAM:)

Orpheus_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Orpheus_1986
Member since 2007 • 116 Posts

Celeron's are budget CPU's ment for office use... not games. The ATi card in question won't help either... at least you have a good amount of RAM:)

MindlessTeef
Just enough ram for a big old corperate spreadsheet!
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ahmedkandil
lol but seriously do any of you have iideas
MindlessTeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MindlessTeef
[QUOTE="MindlessTeef"]

Orpheus_1986

:) or that joke powerpoint file your friend emailed you...

Seriously... Your CPU and graphics card, to an extent, simply isn't ment for serious gaming... There's a few things you can do to increase your FPS's in BF2, but it won't make a huge diff... You can update your graphics driver (ATi's drivers are called Catalyst Drivers I think, not sure... I'm a Nvidia man myself), download and install the latest build of DirectX (hit Micrsoft.com for that one). You can also run some anti virus and anti spyware programs to clean the laptop (I would suggest running both Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy{make sure both are updated 1st} and a good Anti Virus program... AVG is okay and free if you need one.) A registry repair tool (like Registry Mechanic, not free though) might help as well. The above will remove trojans and other small programs/dialers that slow down a PC and a messed up registry also slows thing down... I would also suggest running the above in safe mode as it is faster and often more affective.

Updating your sound card driver might not be a bad idea either (you can just as well update all other drivers while you are at it:) - motherboard chipset driver and so on... optional in my opinion). The last thing you can try before running BF2 is killing all non-critical programs (through your Task Manager), including your Anti Virus...

If the FPS is still to low... rather play Solitare:)  

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
How the hell did you end up with 1346 mb RAM?
TryDaBeardON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 TryDaBeardON
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
Try going 800x600 with all graphic setting on low. That's about your only chance for decent frame rate.
MindlessTeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MindlessTeef

How the hell did you end up with 1346 mb RAM?-Karayan-

I was wondering that myself, figured he has 1,5 GB RAM and the differance is assigned to the ATi as video RAM.. but the maths don't add up??? That would mean that he has 190MB's set to shared to the VGA??!!! Can't be considering it works in 32 MB increments up to 256 MB max (or 128 MB, depending on machine)... It is a mystery...

hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
[QUOTE="ahmedkandil"] and in response to warsnake i was expecting 20-25 fps....thats playable for me.

25fps, with that rubbish video cards and CPU... HAHAHAHAHAHA... I think you need to be more realistic...
Gears_0f_L0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gears_0f_L0ve
Member since 2004 • 420 Posts
[QUOTE="Orpheus_1986"][QUOTE="MindlessTeef"]

MindlessTeef

:) or that joke powerpoint file your friend emailed you...

Seriously... Your CPU and graphics card, to an extent, simply isn't ment for serious gaming... There's a few things you can do to increase your FPS's in BF2, but it won't make a huge diff... You can update your graphics driver (ATi's drivers are called Catalyst Drivers I think, not sure... I'm a Nvidia man myself), download and install the latest build of DirectX (hit Micrsoft.com for that one). You can also run some anti virus and anti spyware programs to clean the laptop (I would suggest running both Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy{make sure both are updated 1st} and a good Anti Virus program... AVG is okay and free if you need one.) A registry repair tool (like Registry Mechanic, not free though) might help as well. The above will remove trojans and other small programs/dialers that slow down a PC and a messed up registry also slows thing down... I would also suggest running the above in safe mode as it is faster and often more affective.

Updating your sound card driver might not be a bad idea either (you can just as well update all other drivers while you are at it:) - motherboard chipset driver and so on... optional in my opinion). The last thing you can try before running BF2 is killing all non-critical programs (through your Task Manager), including your Anti Virus...

If the FPS is still to low... rather play Solitare:)

Great Post. And applauds to the helpful not the hardware bashing...
muhammad_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 muhammad_1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

You will have to decrease the resolution and most of the graphical features ya maan

Celeron is mainly used in networking and it is very weak in operating games , And your video card is expressing himself :)))))))

your laptop is for simple use mainly,and not for advanced games ya za3eeem

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

You will have to decrease the resolution and most of the graphical features ya maan

Celeron is mainly used in networking and it is very weak in operating games , And your video card is expressing himself :)))))))

your laptop is for simple use mainly,and not for advanced games ya za3eeem

muhammad_1

Pretty much. There is not much you can do. Wait for the new laptop. You are lucky that you can even get it started. I tried Battlefield 2 on a GMA950, and it did not even lauch.
Dummiesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dummiesday
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Hey pal, I know this won't help you much, but perhaps you should try another game such as War Rock instead (http://www.warrock.net). It's a battlefield-like, more arcadish game and it runs great on a lot of systems. Plus, it's free. BF2 may be too graphic intensive for your current laptop.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Your video card may not be the true problem. Your CPU is. Regardless if its Celeron, its only 1.7ghz. To get acceptable framerates, it should be 2.4ghz or higher. The video card too is not exactly hot. BF2 is actually poorly otimized because the game was made when GeForce 6000 series were king. And even people with GeForce 7000 series, cannot go overboard with video options because of framerate drops. My friend has a 3.2ghz cpu, 1gb ram, 512 mb 7600 gs card and he can't go on all high with a nice resolution because we lags after.
pmqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pmqz
Member since 2003 • 78 Posts
I had a celeron before. Total gaming nightmare. And furthermore, yours is a laptop. Receiving those frame rates is actually good already. 
Dilley122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dilley122
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts
the worst thing bout ur comp is the CPU by far... running a 1.7 gHz card aint all that healthy specially wen its a celeron. what you need to do is save up your bikkys and go out and either buy a pentium D 3.8 gHz or a AMD 64 Pro dual core. ur vid card is fine if u get one of these cpu's but if uve got the cash laying around upgrade to a nice 512mb mid ranged card (try a 7300gs or a x1600) btw is ur mobo/card PCI if not thats ur main problem.
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ahmedkandil
my card is pci express and i geuss ill just stick to 15 fps. i can live with it ;)
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ahmedkandil
Radeon 9550 can run on medium settings at 30fps. thats what some dude says...is the xpress 200m better?
ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts
I'm pretty sure that computer barely meets the minimums for Doom 3. I sure as hell know it wouldn't play UT2004 so why expect so much from it in BF2?
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#25 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

I got BF and sold it on e-Bay the next week

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts
and in response to warsnake i was expecting 20-25 fps....thats playable for me.ahmedkandil
On what basis were you expecting 20-25 fps? A hunch? A guess? I don't mean to be harsh in stating the obvious, but it just does't work that way. Whenever possible, play a demo--there's no better way to determine if your computer can handle a game. There is a Battlefield 2 demo, so maybe this is a lesson learned.
lol but seriously do any of you have iideasahmedkandil
Really the only solution is to scale back graphical detail, resolution, and effects until you arrive at a balance that works for you. Some people prefer dirt-simple graphics over even the slightest performance hiccup; others will limp along at 10 fps to preserve cool-looking smoke. Really, it's personal.
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ahmedkandil
20 fps isnt that great but i would love to play on 20
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ahmedkandil
[QUOTE="ahmedkandil"]and in response to warsnake i was expecting 20-25 fps....thats playable for me.lokstah
On what basis were you expecting 20-25 fps? A hunch? A guess? I don't mean to be harsh in stating the obvious, but it just does't work that way. Whenever possible, play a demo--there's no better way to determine if your computer can handle a game. There is a Battlefield 2 demo, so maybe this is a lesson learned.
lol but seriously do any of you have iideasahmedkandil
Really the only solution is to scale back graphical detail, resolution, and effects until you arrive at a balance that works for you. Some people prefer dirt-simple graphics over even the slightest performance hiccup; others will limp along at 10 fps to preserve cool-looking smoke. Really, it's personal.

dude thanks for the help and not going on about how bad my comp is
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ahmedkandil
i am very happy...i installed the ati catalyst control center and tada! 24 sweet sweet fps!
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts
Word. Have fun.
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ahmedkandil
thanks man, will do :D
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ahmedkandil
lol i can get 40 if i look at the ground
Avatar image for qoakzmwisjxneud
qoakzmwisjxneud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 qoakzmwisjxneud
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts

your playing on a laptop, get a desktop already and your card isnt too good either

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

your playing on a laptop, get a desktop already and your card isnt too good either

qoakzmwisjxneud
For some people, desktops are too bulky.
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ahmedkandil

qoakzmwisjxneud
DUDE WE FU(KING ESTABLISHED THAT AT THE BEGGINING! IF YOU HAVE NOTHING USEFULL TO ADD DONT POST!
ProdigyXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ProdigyXxx
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
tbh, (and ive never owned a laptop but...) i wouldnt even attempt to play games on a laptop.  for the price you'll pay for one that can run them half way decent, you could get a desktop that can play it on maximum everything smoothly.  like i said ive never tried any games on lap top but i couldnt imagine feeling the urge to try it.    and as you've already heard about 50 times or more..  you cant expect to run a game like bf2 with a below par system.

btw just for the record... bf2 rox.

and 2142 is kinda lame.
ProdigyXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ProdigyXxx
wow.. my bad dude sorry.   i read about 4 posts, so didnt quite understand where we were at in the discussion.  sounds as if the problem is already solved.  happy gaming to you :)
ProdigyXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ProdigyXxx

sorry for the multiple posts.  :)   i agree.  i have my settings so low i have to be like 4 feet from a bush before it actually pops up and looks like a bush.  ( looks flat from too far away ).   BUT!  i would rather that than have my pc glitch right as a dirty MEC guy pops his head out.    btw just curious.  what rank are you?
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
dude, i find it amazing that you can play bf2 on that laptop.  try some of these games.. warcraft 3, tomb raid chronicles, mortal kombat 4.  you will have a much more enjoyable experience rather that trying to run bf2.  your hardware just isn't very good for gaming.  celeron processors are crap anyway.
venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
Mortal Kombat 4 and Tomb Raider Chronicles? Meeehhhhhhhh. If you really want a MK game, get Armageddon for Xbox or PS2.
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
dude, i find it amazing that you can play bf2 on that laptop.  try some of these games.. warcraft 3, tomb raid chronicles, mortal kombat 4.  you will have a much more enjoyable experience rather that trying to run bf2.  your hardware just isn't very good for gaming.  celeron processors are crap anyway.skyyfox1
On my dad's computer I play BF2 sometimes when I am in a good mood :) (amd athlon xp 1800+, 768 mb ram, geforce fx5700 256 mb) and it can be fun.
ProdigyXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ProdigyXxx
[QUOTE="skyyfox1"]dude, i find it amazing that you can play bf2 on that laptop. try some of these games.. warcraft 3, tomb raid chronicles, mortal kombat 4. you will have a much more enjoyable experience rather that trying to run bf2. your hardware just isn't very good for gaming. celeron processors are crap anyway.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
On my dad's computer I play BF2 sometimes when I am in a good mood :) (amd athlon xp 1800+, 768 mb ram, geforce fx5700 256 mb) and it can be fun.

doesnt sound too fun.. o.O  
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
my card is pci express and i geuss ill just stick to 15 fps. i can live with it ;)ahmedkandil
is that a joke? seriously? playing FPS with 15 fps? WOW your chances to kill someone are 5/100 - 5% WOW - i say go and return the game - with that money buy normal video card
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
X200 has 128mb and 128mb shared. I have an x200 in my laptop....Luckily I didn't like BF2 or 2142 ;)
roland_rat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 roland_rat
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts
im impressed  (or suprised would be better ) you are even trying to attempt it on those specs  the only games that go on mine are the old favourites like unreal tournament (the origional ) wolfenstein black hawk down etc

unless you have seriously deep pockets laptops aint for modern day gaming
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ahmedkandil
well our computer broke down so instead of getting a massive pc we decided to get a laptop as we dont need a very high spec pc (my dad always said get a console if you want to play games) but i run what i can on it and to the person who asked my rank im halfway through corpral and have 214ish kills BEFORE i updated drivers so yea.......the reason i have lots of deaths is because im a suicidal medic ;)
Sephiroth__666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Sephiroth__666
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
[QUOTE="ahmedkandil"]

intel celeron M 1.7ghz

1346mb ram

ranglah33

your card is bad.

Ya, so is your CPU.
wireman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 wireman32
Member since 2007 • 1058 Posts
Laptops have less powerful processor normally so they don't overheat, and have built in graphics that aren't great for the same reason. You could buy a desktop with a decent processor for half the price, get a good graphics card and play most games at least 75-85 fps. The x200 is sub-standard for anything, even spreadsheets, and someone already said 1.7 ghz is a joke nowadays. Why not get a PC that can open up progams and files easily and you can actually play games on? Really that's just a matter of graphics card- a dual-core processor would help no doubt- but your graphics are whats gonna make newer game run well.

I have an xbox360, the framerate is crappy occassionally- not really too impressed. I played games on it for a week, now it is an expensive dvd player. I play games on my pc. The keyboard/wireless controller combo is nice, and just save/edit games on the hard drive. If you have a nice tv, hook it up there and play. I can't see myself burning up my lap to play a game on a screen i can barely see, thumb clicking away. That's just not the way I roll.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Don't really understand why people hate Celeron THIS much, I've got a Celeron right here, and it's pretty good for the very low price, I can play Oblivion on ~medium settings. Sure, it isn't by far the greatest processor around, but's it's nice for a budget pc.

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="skyyfox1"]dude, i find it amazing that you can play bf2 on that laptop. try some of these games.. warcraft 3, tomb raid chronicles, mortal kombat 4. you will have a much more enjoyable experience rather that trying to run bf2. your hardware just isn't very good for gaming. celeron processors are crap anyway.ProdigyXxx

doesnt sound too fun.. o.O  

It is fun, except on 64 player servers where chaos and lag become as one :D