How addicting is World of Warcraft

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buehler_evan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 buehler_evan
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts

A lot of my friends play and they say its awesome. I had no interest at first but now im serious on buying it. The only problem is that i hear that its really addicting and people play it hours at a time. I was wondering if this is true or not bc i may get it for the summer and play it until school starts again. Do you think i would be able to quit easily or should i not even bother getting it.

contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
That is really dependent on the gamer I myself played WOW and didn't really get into it mainly because the combat system was lame but each to his own I guess.
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Some people lose their lives to it.
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

You ever tried crack?

There you go.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Don't do it. I played for many years, on and off.

Every period I played (I would play for like 4 months, and stop for like 2), I never had a girlfriend lol.

Then freshman year, I played hardcore for a year straight, and my life was terrible.

It's better just to stay away.

grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

That is really dependent on the gamer I myself played WOW and didn't really get into it mainly because the combat system was lame but each to his own I guess.contaminated

This. My friends convinced me to take a stab at it. Man, I couldn't believe how bored I was. It is definitely a very niche kind of game. You're either totally addicted or you don't care.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Enough to make you lose your life.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I thought it was addictive, but after 6 months I managed to free myself from it's evil grip on my soul.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
I thought it was addictive, but after 6 months I managed to free myself from it's evil grip on my soul. ferrari2001
i was addicted for about 8 months before i quite. best thing i ever did.
GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Played for a few weeks and quit. I found it really boring and dull.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Play the trial and decide on your own, no two people have the same taste in anything.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I didnt like it, and I tried for 60 days, not my favorite favor of coffee.... and I never went back.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

I play multiple hours a day, but I still find time for School, a job, and doing stuff besides WoW with friends.

Having friends play WoW with you though is great fun.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

I found it pretty damn addictive. I quite twice and came back, then quit a third time and have no intention of going back (but intention might not count for much).

Even when I did play, I was never hardcore. I have a level 79, and two 70's (with the help of triple exp and grant-a-levels). But I never did any end game raiding.

If blizzard started up a 1-60 azeroth only server, that would be dope. Of course, I wouldn't play again.....

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

It was pretty addicting for me. I played from at the start of the Burning Crusade xpack until then end, so about a year. I was in the best guild on the server and we cleared all raid content before WotLK. I was playing for like 40 hours a week though, so I could have just had a job.

I quit back in November when WotLK came out. Haven't looked back since, I had my fun with it. No vice owns me and I don't understand why people can't quit smoking or drinking cold turkey. Guess my lack of knowledge of the aformentioned is why I never got into them.

I'm shipping out to Relaxin Jackson on Oct20 so I have better things to do than play WoW. AIRBORNE!

lazynerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lazynerd
Member since 2002 • 1449 Posts

Some people lose their lives to it.nicknees93

Yep. I've seen marriages end and people completely shut out their friends and family. For many, it's a serious addiction.

IIIRUSHIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IIIRUSHIII
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

Ummm...well I guess when its been coined World of Warcrack then it would have to be somewhat addicting

I personally played, but nothing more than 5 hours a week tops, usually go one for an hour or 2 after work if time permits.

Im off to go do Basic Training this summer, then start school right afterwards so I most likely will be calling it quites. In no way am I angry, or feel like WoW was a waste of my time though, Ive actually made some great friends from it. Ive had my fun, but now that chapter is over...time for bigger better things......like CODMW2 :P

Imo, go for the free trial and see for yourself, you'll either love it or hate it. Justkeep in mind, its just a game, and theres a world with much better graphics sitting right outside your front door!

No epic loots though :(

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i play several hours a day... in the summer when i have no school. when school starts i end my subscription. also, i think wow is a kind of game that requires a lot of time to enjoy; play team fortress 2 for 10 minutes and you'll have had a blast, play wow for 10 minutes, youve only got from the main city to a dungeon, 2 of the 3 people in your group have left, and the battleground join-in timer is still ticking. if it starts taking over your life something inside your head should say "stop, life more important than wow". i could never really enjoy a game once i started feeling important RLthings are left pending.
Zanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zanitor
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts
My brother got so addicted that he would play it on DIAL UP for hours. So there you go.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Meh, people really overstate it, not anyone who touches the game will become a WoW addict, of course there are some people who play waaaay too much but for the majority it isnt bad at all, the way I look at it is if you werent playing WoW, what would you be doing? Probably either watching tv or playing another videogame. Once you start ignoring social obligations or family to play it, you have problems, but that barely happens to anybody. play the trial, no harm done. Wow has lot's of haters, so keep that in mind when listening to opinions because a lot of them are extremely biased.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I've stayed far away from it after seeing what its done to people I know, most of their daily schedules revolve around raids now.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

If you have an addictive character (alcoholic, smoker) or weak will than you shouldnt play it, but than again why not try and see? WoW is a game that you have to spend some time in to accomplish anything that is true. This isnt a game where you can turn on for 20min for a little bit of fun. To me its a good game and so far I dont feel as if I am addicted. I had alot of exams lately so I havent played it in 2 weeks or more and it doesnt bother me so in the end everyperson will react differently.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

DON'T GO INTO WoW!! We might never see you again :cry:, if you do start playing it then, good luck trying to stop :D. And yes WoW is as addictive as crack, but that depends on preference, some might like it, some won't.

xxstalker24xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxstalker24xx
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts

Firstly ignore what people are saying about it will take your life or will stop you form having girlfriends, it wont do any of them if your not a weak person. I play wow and iam not addicted as i find it more boring the longer i play, anyway look it at this way if you smoked would you get addicted, same for choc, drugs, drink ? if you DO or WOULD then dont play, if you can control yourself then go ahead.

Its all about moderation, alot of one thing is always going to be bad.

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

I played WoW on and off for about 3+ years..... I have 2 lvl 80's, 3 or 4 lvl 70+.... and a bunch of other alts (alternate characters)..... I WILL NEVER GO BACK... I remember days when I played for 16 hours, thats just 1 day..... NOW IM FREE!

gawnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gawnn
Member since 2003 • 312 Posts
Oh man yeah it's addicting. After several years of playing it pretty much exclusivly, I finally pulled the plug just before the Uldar patch dropped. The first three months were miserable. I was SOOOOO bored it was painful. I honestly had no idea what to do with my life. I had all the symptoms of a hardcore addiction. I used to often just play til I passed out, so I couldn't even sleep. P.S. does anyone know a safe way to sell your charecters? I know it's against the games EULA but people do it all the time. I've got a bunch of epic'd 80s including a pally, warlock, and priest just sitting collecting dust.
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

My nephew puts in about 40 hours a week and he says thats not much in wow terms

Dal-Force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 148

#28 Dal-Force
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

It is an addictive game, but it all depends on you. My classmates - unfortunately - are WoW egoists, and they're talking about it in their major time, so it actually ruined their lifes. They are selfish, arrogant, rude and such. One of the reasons why I do not like them..Seeing how easily they turned out to be angry for the smallest reason that pisses them off (for example: losing in a game), and such negative things made me think that WoW is a bad game, and it should be avoided for the most people, since it can ruin you if you let it.

However if you can play it in moderation (like me), you won't have much problems with it. But do not think it's that easy; you must be strong enough to realise that this is only a game, yeah. An addictive game and nothing more. So, you can keep your life without a hitch, but then you probably won't stick with WoW for a longer time. I've seen immediately from the beginning, that this game is not fun, expect for the first times. But the longer you play it, the more boring it becomes. It just cannot make it, this game is an utter disease to hit you off from your feet. Blizzard is a money-thriving company, and WoW is their best product to kick out a few bucks from your pocket, if you're a fool enough to let that happen. Devote your life to WoW, or miss it: it is up to you.

My hint is to stick with Warcraft III, if you like the Warcraft series, at least, for now. There are a plenty of custom - battle.net - maps available, and heck, some are even incredibly fun (and no, it's not just about DOTA). A future Warcraft game should come, and I hope that Blizzard will make the blast with that. I also hope that Blizzard will care more for the gameplay rather than for the money. If I could be a game developer, then my primary job would be to make good games, not because of the money, but because it's fun - the process - to make it. It's a kind of a hobby if you think of it.

Just my two cents anyway.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

If nicotine was a 9/10 and crack was 7/10 WOW would be a 3/10.There we go easy peasy,course there is no physical addiction unless induced by the mental one unlike the other things i listed.

fadetobright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fadetobright
Member since 2004 • 85 Posts

Do you normally get addicted to games?

Willpower, I work full time, and attend college full time, in a 1+ year relationship and an Auntie to 2 baby boys. I still play WoW, just makes sure you realize what's really important. ;)

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

I found the game boring as sin until i hit 80 and joined a guild. Now i enjoy it quite a bit more but personnaly ive never found myself to be addicted to it. I can pick it up or put it down at any moment

Dal-Force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 148

#32 Dal-Force

Do you normally get addicted to games?

fadetobright

Well, those games with little or no ingame depth (which could touch you in one way or another) like WoW: I don't get addicted. For the rest, I may do.

pwn3dn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pwn3dn00b
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Its a drug. Drugs are just bad, mmkay?

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

My nephew puts in about 40 hours a week and he says thats not much in wow terms

vitriolboy
THat's actually an INSANE amount for WoW terms, your cousin is a nut to think it isn't.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks that WoW and every other MMO is as boring as hell?

UltimatePCHack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 UltimatePCHack

NEH, WOW is stupid I don't get what the big deal is. I played it for like 2 weeks then quite. In my opinion Call of Duty 4 is much more addicting then WOW

TranPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TranPrime
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

About the girlfriend issue, look at Athene ;)

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
According to some research I have seen, around 10% (I think was the statistic) of WoW players demonstrate addictive traits while playing the game. So if you think you are part of the 10% with no self control, I guess it could be very addictive.
Perhampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Perhampus
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

matters for everyone else if you dont have a purpose in life then youll get hooked up, backin 7t grade when the gmae first launched i was pretty addicted to it nearly 70 hours a week, but i was a kid i was stupid and had too much time on my hands. But as soon as i hit 8th grade i found some prios and goals in my life that i sticked to so i could balance game time with anythig in life basically:

School/Work>Activities/Hobbies>Family>Friends>anything else?>WoW. if you get the order right youll be fine.

but for a new starter and since i dont know you

dont play the game period

it was amazingly funy years ago and i would let anyone get absorbed into it, but at the current state its just a waste of life. :)

cheers!

SavageRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SavageRaph
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

Its more addictive than heroine. I was suckingpenis for godly armor and subscription money when I hit rock bottom =(.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Astaroth2k

Who is to say family and friends are more important than WOW? god damn liberals telling everyone what to do,how to think and how to act.Viva la revolucion!

buehler_evan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 buehler_evan
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts

thanx guys. i think im just going to avoid it for now. if im really bored this summer, ill try the 10 day trial. then ill see how many hours i play and stuff.

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

I've put some numbers on this using stats from Xfire. At the time of writing they have 23,379,604 minutes of WoW being played in a day by 89,345 users. That means on average Xfire users are logging 4.36 hours each day. There will be many many more who don't use Xfire as well.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Astaroth2k

I wouldn't play it.Its typical over indulgent human psychology...people want what they can't have,and when they finally do get it.They get bored with that thing they strived for and wished they could have,move on to the next thing...rinse and repeat.Good business plan,Sigmund Freud and his kin would be proud of blizzard.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I was addicted for a few years where it escalated to the point of nearly ruining my life.

So, it's very addictive :)

Seriously....... Stay away.

Edit:

I wouldn't play it.Its typical over indulgent human psychology...people want what they can't have,and when they finally do get it.They get bored with that thing they strived for and wished they could have,move on to the next thing...rinse and repeat.Good business plan,Sigmund Freud and his kin would be proud of blizzard.

Astaroth2k

There we go.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
If you have a relationship and you are secure in every other respect, try it. If not, get a girlfriend first.
Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

Its very addicting, if you have a decent self control then maybe try it.

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

Oh man yeah it's addicting. After several years of playing it pretty much exclusivly, I finally pulled the plug just before the Uldar patch dropped. The first three months were miserable. I was SOOOOO bored it was painful. I honestly had no idea what to do with my life. I had all the symptoms of a hardcore addiction. I used to often just play til I passed out, so I couldn't even sleep. P.S. does anyone know a safe way to sell your charecters? I know it's against the games EULA but people do it all the time. I've got a bunch of epic'd 80s including a pally, warlock, and priest just sitting collecting dust.gawnn

Accounts.com I was afraid I might get scammed, but I didn't. Only got $200 since I had full T6 and S3 gear after WotLK hit, but it got me my 9800 GT =P.

gawnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gawnn
Member since 2003 • 312 Posts

My hint is to stick with Warcraft III, if you like the Warcraft series, at least, for now. There are a plenty of custom - battle.net - maps available, and heck, some are even incredibly fun (and no, it's not just about DOTA). A future Warcraft game should come, and I hope that Blizzard will make the blast with that. I also hope that Blizzard will care more for the gameplay rather than for the money. If I could be a game developer, then my primary job would be to make good games, not because of the money, but because it's fun - the process - to make it. It's a kind of a hobby if you think of it.

Just my two cents anyway.

Dal-Force

LOL yeah that was the only way I was able to wean myself from WoW. I still play Warcraft III, Diablo, and Starcraft often. I pretty much celebrate Blizzard's entire lineup. I think they do get greedy, though, about how you can't sell your accounts on WoW. I just can't figure they frown on that.

Greyloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Greyloo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
it is not that addicting my god, i have been playing for 3 years and i havnt changed one bit. This is just a freetime game other people do sports and other people collect bottle caps its just the same. touching the game is not going to make u addicted like smoking u wont go up to a priest and he will heal u of it u can just get off or have ur mana cut the cables