Hitman: Absolution Thread (Discussion, Videos, Screenshots,etc..)

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
[QUOTE="kieran88"]

Apparently got 62/100 in pc gamer mag from a long time hitman fan reviewer :(

Pros
- Nice looking locations
- Contracts mode is good, although not an adequate replacement of a proper Hitman game
- "One very good mission" near the end, but still not as good or as free as Blood Money

Cons
- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay
- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute
- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money
- Equipment system - can't choose weapons in main missions, or carry weapons over between missions
- Guard AI is strange, they will sometimes detect you walking where commando rolling wouldn't get you detected
- "Sneak by covering your face" idea is laughable
- DRM on Contracts mode - can't play any contracts, even your own, offline

Playthroughs popping up on youtube - spoilers obviously

chrisrooR
Son of a b*tch. Why can't they just leave the good stuff from blood money well enough alone?

Agreed
mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

Watched a bit of the playthrough. Looks a lot more linear than previous games, although that might be because it's an early mission. Also the fact that the target was executed in a cutscene is not something I enjoy. Actually, the amount of cutscenes reminds me of Max Payne 3.
Hopefully the devs were not arrogant enough to think they could change or "improve" the core mechanics of the series.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

Watched a bit of the playthrough. Looks a lot more linear than previous games, although that might be because it's an early mission. Also the fact that the target was executed in a cutscene is not something I enjoy. Actually, the amount of cutscenes reminds me of Max Payne 3.
Hopefully the devs were not arrogant enough to think they could change or "improve" the core mechanics of the series.

mAArdman
Yeah, at the 3rd part of the 1st mission (3rd video), the narrator says that they will then start tracking your play style. So i'm guessing the linearity it just the first level tutorial
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 kris9031998

Pros
- Nice looking locations
- Contracts mode is good, although not an adequate replacement of a proper Hitman game
- "One very good mission" near the end, but still not as good or as free as Blood Money

Cons
- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money
- Equipment system - can't choose weapons in main missions, or carry weapons over between missions
- Guard AI is strange, they will sometimes detect you walking where commando rolling wouldn't get you detected

kieran88
Damn shame. But it's the first negative review thus far, so we'll see. Remember what pc gamer gave Dragon age 2?
Serbiann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Serbiann
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

There are already three 9/10 reviews, this is first one that is bad. Let's wait for 7 more days and we shall see how this game turns out.

But 15 FPS even on minimal settings - sure, if you play the game on a toaster.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Crap, I was just about to get this on Greenmangaming before I saw this thread. Looks like this ones going to the "wait until dirt cheap" list... Damn, I had high hopes for it (stupidly enough). Should have known that they'd reduce everything to moron level for consoles.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 kris9031998

Crap, I was just about to get this on Greenmangaming before I saw this thread. Looks like this ones going to the "wait until dirt cheap" list... Damn, I had high hopes for it (stupidly enough). Should have known that they'd reduce everything to moron level for the console players.

jer_1
It's one review from a place that gave dragon age 2 a 94, saying it had the "best rpg combat ever" and the best "storytelling ever" as well. Plus, it's $33.75 with the code on GMG so it cant be THAT bad of a loss, right?
Serbiann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Serbiann

Crap, I was just about to get this on Greenmangaming before I saw this thread. Looks like this ones going to the "wait until dirt cheap" list... Damn, I had high hopes for it (stupidly enough). Should have known that they'd reduce everything to moron level for consoles.

jer_1

How is this the consoles fault? Every Hitman game till now was on the consoles...

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The PC Gamer reviewer gave Max Payne a 55 and b*tched about technical issues.

He also says thst 3 PCs that can run Skyrim have problems with 5Hitman. Since when is Skyrim a benchmark?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

Crap, I was just about to get this on Greenmangaming before I saw this thread. Looks like this ones going to the "wait until dirt cheap" list... Damn, I had high hopes for it (stupidly enough). Should have known that they'd reduce everything to moron level for the console players.

kris9031998

It's one review from a place that gave dragon age 2 a 94, saying it had the "best rpg combat ever" and the best "storytelling ever" as well. Plus, it's $33.75 with the code on GMG so it cant be THAT bad of a loss, right?

No, it's not that bad of a price but those cons weigh pretty heavily on me. Gonna have to hold off on this one for now.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kieran88
[QUOTE="jer_1"]

kris9031998

Yeah this is a good point, my only concern with the review is it states a lack of freedom in the gameplay. Which would kill hitman for me. Either way I'll be finding out for myself.
Serbiann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Serbiann

OPM and OXM gave it a 9/10.

GameInformer gave it a 8.8/10. There is another review with a 9/10 score. Let's all just moan about how the game is suxorz because some unknown review site who gave Dragon Age 2, one of the worst games this decade a 9.5/10 and Max Payne 3 an amazing 5/10.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kieran88

OPM and OXM gave it a 9/10.

GameInformer gave it a 8.8/10. There is another review with a 9/10 score. Let's all just moan about how the game is suxorz because some unknown review site who gave Dragon Age 2, one of the worst games this decade a 9.5/10 and Max Payne 3 an amazing 5/10.

Serbiann
Might be worth pointing out that PCGamer is well known and has been around since 1993. Though I completely agree @ review comment, will be playing it myself anyway.
Serbiann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Serbiann

PCGamer didn't even finish there review yet...

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 kieran88

PCGamer didn't even finish there review yet...

Serbiann
The low score posted was from their magazine
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#66 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
damn that's a ordinary score for a game I was hoping would be goty contender. Then again some other PC gamer reviews have been laughable at best in recent times.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#67 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

The cons are bothersom, I didn't have this one pre-ordered, but I still want it.

Hopefully a few of those things can be fixed with patches/updates.

Like the Performance issues, and the stealth detection.

I am still looking forward to it, but will see once more play it, and give feedback, and hopefully have some of these issues ironed out by then.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#68 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

kris9031998

I think we should read the cons for what they are instead of making a comparison of Dragon Age 2. DA2 reviewer even the same person as HItman's? I'm just saying that this is irrelevant to the cons about the game.

But I understand where you're coming from and I will definitely take into consideration the two reviews Max Payne 3 and DA2, both scores and reviews and I do not agree with. I thought Max Payne 3 was definitely an 8.5-9.0 game and DA2 was at best 8.0. I'm still considering the GMG offer, which seems like a steal at that price.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

more like Hitman Conviction.

hitmanabsolution.png

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#70 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

more like Hitman Conviction.

hitmanabsolution.png

jakes456

Seen the first 3 missions online and it looks nothing like the last Splinter Cell.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
^^ :lol: Jake, you might as well change your username, or start posting under a different alias. Nobody takes you seriously bro.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="kieran88"]

Pros
- Nice looking locations

Cons

kris9031998
Damn shame. But it's the first negative review thus far, so we'll see. Remember what pc gamer gave Dragon age 2?

Hope after all! Not long after this article hits the internet, there are already people out there criticising what it's saying. "I have watched several gameplay videos and saw no sign of slowdowns. The reviewer Ian Miles Cheong then falsely claims Hitman Absolution rewards players for killing guards, when it actually penalizes you. Mr Cheong then states there are no saves point between levels, which is also untrue, because he was playing on professional difficulty, which does this to challenge players. On normal you can use check points all you like. And finally, Mr Cheong is outright lying about stealth not being important to gameplay. It is clear from the Hitman Absolution tutorial as the most important aspect of the game play. I don't know why PC Gamer magazine hired such an inept reviewer as Ian Miles Cheong, but it is there loses when their reader see what a great game Hitman Absolution is. I doubt many are going to listen to PC Gamer magazine for future reviews."
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#73 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Ian Miles Cheong didn't write the review, he just wrote the article that summarizes it. Tom Francis wrote it apparently.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

the only few games in 2012 worth buying amen.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#75 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
If they've somehow managed to botch this game can they at least make Sniper Challenge maps?? I'd play more of that!! :(
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 kieran88
If they've somehow managed to botch this game can they at least make Sniper Challenge maps?? I'd play more of that!! :( biggest_loser
Hah yeah, wish it had more maps too
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 chrisrooR
Ian Miles Cheong didn't write the review, he just wrote the article that summarizes it. Tom Francis wrote it apparently. nutcrackr
Another criticism of the review from an anonymous poster. I have reviewed this game, although I would like to remain anonymous. I can honestly say that the comments Mr Francis has made about the game are entirely false. Assassinations are NOT cutscenes any more than they are in Blood Money (IE an animation once the 'accident' is set up or whatever is the way it's always been it's not a cutscene because you're either choosing to stick around and watch in full control or you're already making your escape or whatever, NEVER is control taken away from you). As for checkpoints THEY ONLY EVEN EXIST ON LOW DIFFICULTY. Meaning this reviewer played it through on easy or medium and since he claims to be an experienced Hitman player, he should know that these difficulty levels were not made for him. He has essentially failed to do the job he has been paid to do. The 'pointless' objectives (open a door) refers to exiting the level once the hit has been complete. YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO EXIT THE LEVEL ONCE THE HIT WAS COMPLETE. Some of the levels are small, sure, but THERE ARE FIFTY OF THEM. The AI is fantastic as always. 47 is the catalyst. Mix him with the AI in any way and entertaining (and often unexpected) things happen. Just as they always have, but way, way better than ever before. The story is, admittedly, quite poor, but it's also irrelevant. It ties one playground to the next by a thin thread and that's all that matters. Do not listen to Tom Francis. He has failed to do his job and speaking as a fellow reviewer, in my opinion deserves to be severely scolded for it, both by the general gaming public, who he has failedf, by the developer and publisher of the game, who he has failed, and by the company he works for, who he has failed. Once you lot get to play the game, you will immediately see how FACTUALLY incorrect this review is. It's chock-full of out and out lies.