Gears of War or The Witcher?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kelllvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Kelllvin
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts

I am getting a new game during the weekends but I only have enough to buy one game.

Which game is more worth it?

I don't want to waste my NZ$100 on a game that is gonna be short repetitive, lousy, etc.

Please help me recommend.

Thanks

adamus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 adamus007
Member since 2007 • 852 Posts
A bump from me because im interested in the answer
BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BLiTZv3
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

Witcher is a great game...I haven't got my copy yet....but I saw the game on my friend's house...it was a great game. I played GEARS on PC and xbox360...but I don't think it should be praised like this the way 360 gamers did.

I think going for witcher is the good choice rather than GEOW.

adamus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adamus007
Member since 2007 • 852 Posts
How long is the witcher ??
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

How long is the witcher ??adamus007

Quite long.
I can't be certain of a time, but it took me over 30 hours. 40-60, maybe? (assuming that you do most of the side-quests - and there's at least three different endings).

BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BLiTZv3
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

How long is the witcher ??adamus007

I dunno cause I haven't played it by myself....but my friend is playing...and he told me its quite long...and depands on your gameplay and exploring(its not open ended....but still, there are places to explore). So, it wont be anywhere near the short like GEOW(which is 6 hrs gameplay depanding on your skill).

My friend is playing this game for past 5 days....

It has 50+ hrs gameplay(last I heard..not a big deal...most of the RPGs are long)

michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts
The Witcher.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

The Witcher = 40-80 hours of awesomeness

Gears of War = a large turd

Ahh, who am I kidding. I'm exaggerating. Gears of War is a medium sized turd.

cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts
Get the witcher it's a sweet one...
Yurand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yurand
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts
Pick Witcher . If you do all quest it is about 60 - 90of gameplay.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
The Witcher.
dakrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 dakrath
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

They're both completely awesome, really. The Witcher is an addictive RPG that will plant it's claws on your face and keep them there for at least a week or two. My first play-through took me well over 40 hours, and I loved every bit of it. I'm currently replaying it to see the other side of the fence, and still loving it.

Gears of War... well, I'd say it's required material for anyone interested in shooting stuff. The single player campaign lasts about 15 hours, but it's a 15 hours that you're not gonna forget any time soon. And the multiplayer... wow. It's like Unreal Tournament's more tactical sibling. It's fast paced, frantic as hell and really enjoyable.

Kragspire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kragspire
Member since 2004 • 123 Posts

I am getting a new game during the weekends but I only have enough to buy one game.

I don't want to waste my NZ$100 on a game that is gonna be short repetitive, lousy, etc.

Thanks

Kelllvin
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Get The Witcher. It's much longer and it's worth playing it twice.
OtakuRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OtakuRay
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
If you are looking for a long game, The Witcher is your choice. But Gears is also good but needs a killer rig.
futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts

If you're looking for something enjoyable, you can't go wrong with either one. If you're looking for multiplayer, GoW. If it's length that will make you decide, The Witcher is definitely and obviously longer. Both are great games so whichever one you pick will be money well-spent. That is assuming of course you get the game up and running.

Be warned though, GoW is quite buggy and a significant amount of people are having trouble getting it to run despite having excellent gaming rigs well-above the systeme requirements. The Witcher on the other hand doesn't have as many people protesting over making it run on their rigs but the loading times are sometimes annoying to some.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
The witcher singleplayer mode is about 40-50 hours long (main+sidequests) GeOW SP is about 9hours long but it has multiplayer which is fun to play for hundreds of hours.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
A great (from what I hear nearly exclusively) RPG that will last you at least 60 hours with fun gameplay and an intruiging story and setting... or a 10 hour long shooter (360 version was 6) that gives you one play through of the SP campaign and maybe a couple hours to try out and learn how boring the MP is?

I wonder which would be the better choice?
bloodstained-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodstained-
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
It depends very much if you're going to play Gears of War online or just offline. If you're all about single player, then The Witcher is hands down the better choice. The Witcher offers you 50 or so hours of high quality gameplay, while GOW SP won't last more than 10-12h. Honestly, I don't even understand how the hell GOW is getting such high scores.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
witcher is a rpg.....Geow shooter. Both are fun game, so it depends on which genre u prefer.
scorching_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 scorching_cool
Member since 2004 • 132 Posts

Completed witcher 3 days agoi,it was awesome! will replay it in a few days to see the other content...

I dont know bout the other game,but the witcher is a good game..

dapkkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dapkkk
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The Witcher!!!!!!!!
darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts
Dumbest question ever. Different games completely. Having said that...The Witcher will give you more gameplay unless you are into online with Gears. Both are fun, both are worth it.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

The Witcher, without a doubt. 40+ Hours of one of the best Roleplaying games this year, and a PC Game that isn't a port like Gears is. You'll finish the Gears campaign in 6-8 hours and the multiplayer is seriously lacking. Not to mention, GFW Live is lacking, which is mandatory is you wish to play online.

If you don't want waste your money on a short, repetitive game, get the Witcher.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

Dumbest question ever. Different games completely. Having said that...The Witcher will give you more gameplay unless you are into online with Gears. Both are fun, both are worth it.darkSIDEechoes

He's only asking what should he spend his money on. That is not dumb. He's not flaming, or trolling, he just wanted suggestions.

I'd say the witcher. A year ago i might say Gears but after playing both the witcher is a better choice. Its longer, and a very different from other RPGs out there.

But then again, its the genre differences here...

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Depends on what kind of game you want to play. GoW is a good frag fest but the Witcher has a lot more depth and will last you a lot longer.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
The Witcher, I don't like Gears of war at all
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
The Witcher, I don't like Gears of war at all
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

which do u prefer TC..shooters or RPGs? obhiously if ure not an RPG fan then avoid the witcher and same with shooters and gears.

assuming u like both. which is the longest? well gears single player would be alot shorter than witcher. however gears has multiplayer and witcher has only single player. so if ure a big online gaming fan then gears migh last u longer in the end.

if ure only interested in single player though then witcher will certainly outlast gears.

Ryu667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ryu667
Member since 2004 • 283 Posts

Gears of War is a great shooter, but gets a little bit boring since the gameplay is very repetive. (Running for cover, aim for the head, shoot, and again running for cover).

My problem with the game is the lousy port which has a lot of bugs and kicks me out of the game very often. I have a very decent

Rig and i can max all out and it looks really great, but its terribly frustrating when you get kicked out of the game every 20 mins ( and you have to play the same level again and again because of those sh*tty checkpoints :( ).

The Witcher is the best RPG i ever played (doesnt mean anything since i ususally don't play RPGs)

It is dark, mature, has a good story and last for hours. Since i am not a regular RPG player i ve already spend 40 hours on it and i just got to chapter 3 of 5 or 6 i think.

You spend alot of time chatting with people and make decisions. Sometimes it felt more lika an adventure game than a RPG.

So your choice. I would recommend The Witcher, and that comes from someone who would usually prefer any shooter over an RPG.

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts

The Witcher, I don't like Gears of war at alldayaccus007

I wish to maim you.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
I'd choose The Witcher, because I like long good RPGs over short shooters. Gears of War was fun though. I hope that new patch for The Witcher comes out soon. I really want to start playing again.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
A great (from what I hear nearly exclusively) RPG that will last you at least 60 hours with fun gameplay and an intruiging story and setting... or a 10 hour long shooter (360 version was 6) that gives you one play through of the SP campaign and maybe a couple hours to try out and learn how boring the MP is?

I wonder which would be the better choice?
foxhound_fox
It's as if you post on the forums more then you game so how can you tell?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

Thanks

Kelllvin

Witcher

Gears of War was awesome the first time on 360, and multiplayer was all right.

But I just got it for PC and the magic is gone. Its one of those games where you go "Oh, wow, this is so freaking cool!" the first time, but then nothing after that.

Gears is also pretty short, about 5-7 hours.

The Witcher, however, is problably the best RPG to come out in the past few years. Its also extremely long (30+ hours per play through) and it can be replayed many many times simply because of the various decisions you make.

Both are good games, but The Witcher is by far the better value.

Kelllvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kelllvin

Thanks for all your opinion. I am gonna get The Witcher then. :)

Which edition of Witcher should I get?

The Special Edition or the basic one? Whats the difference between them?

Its only NZ$10 difference though.

Thanks

blue_sparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_sparks
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

It sounds like you're the kind of person who wants a longer gaming experience, in which case the Witcher is the best choice, so you've chosen well, unless you just love the GOW gameplay like certain gamers on a certain system...

Being a world-ignorant American, I have no idea how much the Witcher is basic edition in NZ, or what the NZ-USD exchange rate is. However, if you're interested in a bit of extra content, go ahead and get the special edition. I personally never get special editions because I'm not really interested in extras--god only knows why anyone would spend double price on Halo 3 Legendary edition for a few extra pieces of Master Chief-related junk.

Thanks for all your opinion. I am gonna get The Witcher then. :)

Which edition of Witcher should I get?

The Special Edition or the basic one? Whats the difference between them?

Its only NZ$10 difference though.

Thanks

Kelllvin
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts

I actually bought The Witcher yesterday, I live in NZ too. It's been great so far, played about 6 hours last night...

I "acquired" GoW about 3 weeks ago played for about 2 hours and got bored...

If you live in Auckland, which I do. The JB HiFi sells The Witcher for 95, and EB games also on Queen Street sells it for 100.

The Collectors edition has an art book, a soundtrack and a world map. Maybe theres more stuff, dont know.

Kelllvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kelllvin

I actually bought The Witcher yesterday, I live in NZ too. It's been great so far, played about 6 hours last night...

I "acquired" GoW about 3 weeks ago played for about 2 hours and got bored...

If you live in Auckland, which I do. The JB HiFi sells The Witcher for 95, and EB games also on Queen Street sells it for 100.

The Collectors edition has an art book, a soundtrack and a world map. Maybe theres more stuff, dont know.

ElectricNZ

I live around Auckland too. I probably gonna get the special edition as it is only NZ$10 difference.

Gonna go to The Warehouse and collect my game now.

Thanks alot.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It's as if you post on the forums more then you game so how can you tell?OoSuperMarioO

And what does that matter? I've played Gears on the 360 and heard many good things about the Witcher. I post on the forums when I have a few minutes in the morning before I leave for school and when I come back before I have to go to work, then at the end of the day after I come back from work. I get little time to game but that still doesn't stop me from having an opinion now does it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
The Witcher is better....
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

I have both, and here is my experience:

Gears of war was better on XBox360. I found the whole having to pay monthly just to play online with co-op is complete and utter BS. Gameplay is still there, but it is just draged on farther with the 5 new missions, which are not that fun.

The Witcher is a fun and pretty graphically amazing game. The game can get a little tedious at times and the combat is a little repetitive, with long and boring load times, with constant "auto saving", can get a person off of the game.

I found The Witcher to be better.

HaloEleven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HaloEleven
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
The Witcher is one of the best games i've ever played. I highly recommend it to anyone after a real experience.
SixSigma1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SixSigma1978
Member since 2004 • 58 Posts

The Witcher!!!

You HAVE to play it to believe it..and I don't mean play it for the first few minutes...play the whole damn thing....I felt the first chapter was a bit tedious..but starting chapter 2..the game started growing on me..by the middle of this chapter..i was hooked!!!

I've played almost every type of genre with lots and LOTS of games thrown in, but by far, not one game has affected me at completion the way Witcher did. When the final cutscene finished (every scene, gameplay, quest in the game ties to the storyline, unlike the disappointing Hellgate) .. I pushed my chair back and uttered "Cool!!" with a silent acknowledgement of thanks to CDProject for creating this Masterpiece of a game.

For RPG wannabe's this would be an excellent game to break ground..

Wish they fix the long save/reload times though..something which apparently is being addressed in the 1.2 patch!!!

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
if you don't want and short repetitve, stay away from gears. witcher is much better than it. but gears is not that bad, you can get it eventually when the price drops
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
I also prefer witcher.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
I have both...and I regret spending 50 bucks of Gears. I dont know why it was praised so much...other than graphics...Gears is a boring repetative game..blah.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
The Witcher.thusaha
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
GeoW
drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
The Witcher; Gears simply isn't worth spending more than 30 bucks on.