Games for Children

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for somerandomguy64
SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SomeRandomGuy64
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

Ok so my 8 year old brother is getting into PC gaming but only really plays minecraft and the LEGO games, he wants to play some other games but he doesn't really know any and i can't think of any to suggest. He's tried playing both Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog but after witnessing him play those games i think his skill level should increase before attempting to play those again (he can't beat any of the sonic or mario games, when i was his age i could beat a handful of them). He's really into Star Wars, Super Heroes and Transformers if that helps.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@somerandomguy64: Transformer: Devastation. It's half price on Steam now and it's made by one of the best developers of all time imo (Platinum Games ie: Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338930/

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@somerandomguy64:

• Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Portal 1
  • Portal 2
  • Antichamber
  • Child of Light
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Psychonauts

Ignore Batman Arkham Knight that game is broken

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12807 Posts

@somerandomguy64 said:

Ok so my 8 year old brother is getting into PC gaming but only really plays minecraft and the LEGO games, he wants to play some other games but he doesn't really know any and i can't think of any to suggest. He's tried playing both Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog but after witnessing him play those games i think his skill level should increase before attempting to play those again (he can't beat any of the sonic or mario games, when i was his age i could beat a handful of them). He's really into Star Wars, Super Heroes and Transformers if that helps.

Rayman Legends - epic game, Scribbelnauts Unlimited, Trine 1-3, Limbo, Terraria, Braid, Wall - E, Ori and the Blind Forest

Avatar image for somerandomguy64
SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeRandomGuy64
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

Thanks Guys, already own half these games so they shouldn't be hard to get my hands on.

I'll see if he likes them and if he doesn't then more gaming for me :-)

Also now that locus-solus has mentioned beyond good and evil i was wondering if i could pirate the game as i already own the ps2 version but with scratches everywhere to the point where it stays at the first loading screen. if it isn't ok then i don't mind paying for it, i just wanna save money where i can

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

@locus-solus: Are you JOKING? Portal and Antichamber are MILES beyond an 8 year old's capacity. I had to look up half the chambers for Portal 2 when I was 12, and to date I can't beat 3/4 of the puzzles in Antichamber.

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

I recommend Terraria

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#8  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Terraria is a very good recommendation.

Here are some to look into:

Scribblenauts: Unlimited - Can also get it on both the iOS store and Android Store for cheaper. It's super fun for just fooling around and it serves as a very light puzzle game that tests your imagination.

Crashlands - It's also on iOS/Android, This one is recent. But it's really popular amongst the kids at the moment (a top seller on the Play Store and AppStore atm). It's a mix of Dont Starve/Minecraft, but with a quirky light aesthetic and a clearer narrative structure.

Grow Home - I still think you can get this for as little as $1 in the Humble Ubisoft Bundle. It's an explorative 3D platformer. It's not too challenging and more of relaxed "playful experience". There's little in the way of a hard fail state or things to kill and the objective is to just collect things and climb up.

Rocket League - Kids love this game, though it can be a little hard and often frustrating.

Dungeon Defenders, Defense Grid or Orcs Must Die - All 3 are Tower Defense games on PC and each have two installments. Kids seem to like tower defense for some reason. Dungeon Defenders 2 can be played for free on Steam, but it's still a work in progress game, the others can all be picked up for cheap in the Steam Sale that's happening now.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - It's on the easy side of platforming/adventure games. It has a kid-friendly presentation quality and has RPG mechanics that are very accessible.

Battleblock: Theater - I played this with my 10 yr old nephew when he's over. He loves the game and finished it. It's a little difficult and harder than Sonic/Mario, but you can play it co-op to ease the difficulty. It has this weird sense of humor that's appealing to both children and adults.

Castle Crashers - It's an action game with a similar tone to Battleblock Theater. Lot's of fun in co-op.

Valiant Hearts - It's a sidescrolling advenutre game. Someone mentioned Child Of Light here already, but I'd prefer to recommend this game. It has some puzzles that vary in difficulty, though so it might test his patience abit.

Cities: Skylines - It's a city builder. Although it has some tricky infrastructure mechanics to learn/understand (at least for children), its design tools are excellent for someone that just wants to build and create things.

Awesomenauts - It's a 2D MOBA. Can play it co-op, online or with competent bots. It's easy to get into with alot of fun characters to play with.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - It's the Mario Kart that you can get on PC. The core racing mechanics are actually better than Mario Kart.

Helldivers - I've heard alot of awesome things about this one.

Torchlight 2 - Might be a good pick for an RPG. It's quite approachable and is mostly just a matter of understanding numbers. There's some odd puzzles that you encounter in the game, but they're mostly optional.

Deathspank - It's similar and more action/story focused than Tochlight. It's quite funny. The game comes in 2 parts that you'll need to get for the complete story.