EA Criticizes Valve for Steam's Deep Discounting

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ladiesman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ladiesman17
Member since 2008 • 1280 Posts

Please Check the link below, and how do you feel about it?

LINK

and THIS

LINK 2

EA Company Logo

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
DeMartini and EA are tools of the highest order. I honestly could not give a single sh*t what they think of anything. They are wrong and I'm rather glad they don't like it, Steam is cutting deep into their profits I'm certain and I love to see that! All I can say is that I definitely am not waiting for summer to hand my spare money over to origin...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Last time I checked, Nordstrom is still expensive for the average consumer. Most average consumers will walk in there with credit cards and end up owing money they can't pay back. I highly disagree with David (EA). Go Valve!

Also, isn't it the publisher/developer that makes an agreement with Valve as to what price they want to set their games? I don't see the problem if Valve and said Publisher/developer both gave the greenlight. Sure, some developers work very hard, even extremely hard to make their games and they value it. Some consumers value it as well but they may not be able to afford it.

Valve having these "deep" discounts allows for the average consumer to purchase games they never would have unless it went on sale. Those discounts brought in a lot of sales for many publishers and developers.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

ill put it to u this way...steam's(and by proxy the devs/pubs of the games) easily made hundreds of dollars more off of me than origin has...

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

If in the long run Valve's strategy cuts into the profits of developers (which is entirely possible) than it might affect game development. After all, profits can be reinvested into developing more games.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with segmenting the market by price. It would increase developer profits. However, if everyone starts doing it in the game industry aggragate profits might decline and hurt the industry.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Valve's deep discounting is a concern for the industry. Great for gamers, but it could hurt the industry in the long run. Someone from GoG said the same thing not to long ago, we had a huge thread about it here.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Valve's deep discounting is a concern for the industry. Great for gamers, but it could hurt the industry in the long run. Someone from GoG said the same thing not to long ago, we had a huge thread about it here.

Toxic-Seahorse
If they were selling brand new things for dirt cheap, i would agree. But things like Far Cry 2 going on sale for $2.50 is perfectly reasonable. People will only look to buy older games at certain thresholds. They generally only discount things once they've made their big release bucks
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

wis3boi

If they were selling brand new things for dirt cheap, i would agree. But things like Far Cry 2 going on sale for $2.50 is perfectly reasonable. People will only look to buy older games at certain thresholds. They generally only discount things once they've made their big release bucks

Exactly. I hardly see how this is a problem to newer games, which typically sell for full price just fine.

Sales seem to be best for older games, the only thing I see Valve/Steam doing is extending the shelf life for games.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

wis3boi

Yeah, but the more these sales happen, the more people will stop buying games at full price. One can get a great catalog of games during steam sales to the point where they don't need to buy games at full price anymore. Just wait until they go on sale. In the long run this will hurt the industry greatly since devs and publishers won't get enough money to fund games with the rising development costs. As a consequence, the quality of games could suffer because they would need to sell them at a MUCH cheaper price.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
And here I thought this kind of rhetoric would only be between Obama and Romney in the upcoming election.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

It's just infantile animosity from an EA loyalist towards his primary competition. The idea that somehow "the little guy" (the "hard-working" game developer working for or with EA) is getting hurt by the discounting of games is preposterous. Steam, like any business, is in the game to make money, and Steam will do what it believes will allow it to make the most money possible - which benefits developer stakeholders directly or indirectly. The assertion from this EA loyalist that Steam's profits, and by extension business profits as a whole, are in direct competition with the interests of "the little guy" is moronic leftist thinking.

Secondly, the assertion that EA represents the Mercedes of the video gaming world while Steam is the Ford is also presposterous. Not only does Steam carry a much broader range of games than EA, but it also carries many triple-A titles. An accurate analogy would be Steam being a Costco with EA being a Radio Shack (which has good products, don't get me wrong). This pretentious and STUPID attitude that lowering the prices of products during sales somehow "cheapens" the quality of the product is pure stupidity. Consumer aren't stupid, and businesses that inflate the prices of their products/services in order to maintain some image of prestige usually suffer. I don't think Steam needs any guidance from EA with respect to the marketing of games they sell.

That whole interview (thanks for the link, Ladiesman17) just reeks of jealousy, lies, and no understanding of business or consumer psychology from the DeMartini guy. Thanks for the laughs.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
this makes me want to spend even more money on steam. it's not like it's unfair; steam would not do the big discounts if it didn't make them money in the end. EA should stop crying and do some of their own deep discounting.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraychik

Toxic-Seahorse
How is it bad for the industry? If Steam is in fact doing what is in its best interests (which translates to making more money) by offering sales as it regularly does, then this is GOOD for the gaming industry. Steam's business interests and bottom line are entirely compatible with the broader financial interests of the entire gaming community. There is no conflict here, you're essentially repeating the same stupidity from this DeMartini guy who is simply spewing stupidity due to his jealousy of Steam.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Thats a horrible analogy. There is major difference between Nordstrem and Target, they sell different products to a different group.

Orgin is there for the same purpose as Steam to sell games. They sell the same product just becuase EA is turning into more interested in profit margins than there consumers being happy, does not justify attempting to take a cheap shot at the competition that is killing you.

I think TB sums up the gaming business model prefectly. You pay 60 dollars to be one of the first to play said games. If you wait 6 months the game is usually on sale for 20 dollars. Its a cycle that exists with all business. Out with the old in with the new. Well it doesn't work the same as there is no physical media. But its very similar. A game has been out for a while sales have slowed down it goes on sale. Just like clothes and cars and pretty much everything esle.

Steam sales have helped the industry not hurt it. No matter what people hate waiting, and unless human nature takes a total 180 and decides waiting is best, the gaming industry will still sell millions of units the first week out.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraychik
this makes me want to spend even more money on steam. it's not like it's unfair; steam would not do the big discounts if it didn't make them money in the end. EA should stop crying and do some of their own deep discounting.paullywog
Exactly. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If Steam is helping itself financially by doing what it's doing, then it's helping out the gaming industry as a whole. This EA apparatchik is just whining. Someone should send him a Twitter message - "cry l3ss, win m0ar, br0!"
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse

It's just infantile animosity from an EA loyalist towards his primary competition. The idea that somehow "the little guy" (the "hard-working" game developer working for or with EA) is getting hurt by the discounting of games is preposterous. Steam, like any business, is in the game to make money, and Steam will do what it believes will allow it to make the most money possible - which benefits developer stakeholders directly or indirectly. The assertion from this EA loyalist that Steam's profits, and by extension business profits as a whole, are in direct competition with the interests of "the little guy" is moronic leftist thinking.

Secondly, the assertion that EA represents the Mercedes of the video gaming world while Steam is the Ford is also presposterous. Not only does Steam carry a much broader range of games than EA, but it also carries many triple-A titles. An accurate analogy would be Steam being a Costco with EA being a Radio Shack (which has good products, don't get me wrong). This pretentious and STUPID attitude that lowering the prices of products during sales somehow "cheapens" the quality of the product is pure stupidity. Consumer aren't stupid, and businesses that inflate the prices of their products/services in order to maintain some image of prestige usually suffer. I don't think Steam needs any guidance from EA with respect to the marketing of games they sell.

That whole interview (thanks for the link, Ladiesman17) just reeks of jealousy, lies, and no understanding of business or consumer psychology from the DeMartini guy. Thanks for the laughs.

kraychik

Steam's deep discounting practices will hurt Valve, and the entire gaming industry. in the long run. They can make great money off it now, but it will all fall apart soon, once people stop buying games for full price due to the crazy amount of good games you can get for dirt cheap during a steam sale. Why would anyone bother buying a game for full price when you can get it a year or two later for half the price? Not to mention they would already have a huge backlog of other AAA games they got on sale on steam. It all depends on how far they take it. You seem to be saying that "if they're making money on it now, it will be good forever." and that's not true.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraychik

Thats a horrible analogy. There is major difference between Nordstrem and Target, they sell different products to a different group.

Orgin is there for the same purpose as Steam to sell games. They sell the same product just becuase EA is turning into more interested in profit margins than there consumers being happy, does not justify attempting to take a cheap shot at the competition that is killing you.

I think TB sums up the gaming business model prefectly. You pay 60 dollars to be one of the first to play said games. If you wait 6 months the game is usually on sale for 20 dollars. Its a cycle that exists with all business. Out with the old in with the new. Well it doesn't work the same as there is no physical media. But its very similar. A game has been out for a while sales have slowed down it goes on sale. Just like clothes and cars and pretty much everything esle.

Steam sales have helped the industry not hurt it. No matter what people hate waiting, and unless human nature takes a total 180 and decides waiting is best, the gaming industry will still sell millions of units the first week out.

James161324
Exactly, the idea that EA is cream of the crop, with the higher prices to show for it while Steam is the bargain bin lower-quality alternative is absurd. If anything, Steam is the monster and EA is the midget. Do this DeMartini clown really think that EA is perceived as a premium product in part due to its price-point? How stupid does he think gamers are? It's this sort of disconnectedness and arrogant attitude from businesses that eventually does them in. I wish EA the best and hope they continue to offer high-quality games, but if this is the attitude that is common from EA's business culture, they will suffer as they continue to lose market share and whine about it rather than adapting and becoming more competitive. Crying never made anyone successful in business.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 James161324

[QUOTE="kraychik"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Steam's deep discounting practices will hurt Valve, and the entire gaming industry. in the long run. They can make great money off it now, but it will all fall apart soon, once people stop buying games for full price due to the crazy amount of good games you can get for dirt cheap during a steam sale. Why would anyone bother buying a game for full price when you can get it a year or two later for half the price? Not to mention they would already have a huge backlog of other AAA games they got on sale on steam. It all depends on how far they take it. You seem to be saying that "if they're making money on it now, it will be good forever." and that's not true.

If that mind set actually was true. No one would ever go to see movies in theatres, no one would buy the new car, game consoles wouldn't sell when they come out. Plus a billion other things. There are enough people with money that do not want to wait and will spend the premium pirce.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraychik

[QUOTE="kraychik"]

Toxic-Seahorse

James161324 has already addressed your false assertion. People play a premium to be the first to get these games, just as people pay a premium to be the first to get all sorts of stuff. Cars are discounted at the end of the season, so are clothes, so is kitchenware. For heaven's sake, even restaurants and grocery stores do this before closing time. This is a normal business phenomenon, and the game industry is no different. You don't understand business and you're parroting ridiculous talking point from this EA apparatchik.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraychik

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="kraychik"]

James161324

If that mind set actually was true. No one would ever go to see movies in theatres, no one would buy the new car, game consoles wouldn't sell when they come out. Plus a billion other things. There are enough people with money that do not want to wait and will spend the premium pirce.

You said it a lot more succinctly than I. Good work.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraychik
And here I thought this kind of rhetoric would only be between Obama and Romney in the upcoming election. sSubZerOo
If anything, it's Obama who would be toeing the line laid out by this DeMartini character from EA.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Not a chance. If anything, it helps an IP if a later iteration releases. I was on the fence about Just Cause 2, and saw it was on sale for $7.50. I bought it on a whim and absolutely LOVED it. I even went and bought some of the DLC to further support the devs since I had bought the game so cheap. When Just Cause 3 release, you bet your ass I'll be buying it.

Same thing goes with Metro 2033. Bought it for $5, loved it, can't wait until Metro Last Light.

Had those games not been on sale for that cheap I may have skipped over the series entirely

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraychik

If in the long run Valve's strategy cuts into the profits of developers (which is entirely possible) than it might affect game development. After all, profits can be reinvested into developing more games.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with segmenting the market by price. It would increase developer profits. However, if everyone starts doing it in the game industry aggragate profits might decline and hurt the industry.

Nikalai_88
You do realize that developers don't have to deal with Steam if they don't want to, right? You seem to be selling this attitude that we typically get from anti-Walmart automatons who complain that Walmart's discounting and pressure on its suppliers somehow hurts the supplier. Of course you ignore the fact that Steam, like Walmart, offer an extremely valuable platform through which people can sell their product. Don't want to deal with Steam's terms and conditions as a game developer? The don't deal with them. This is particularly rich considering that the ambition of most game developers is to get a game offered on Steam, just as writers want to get sold on Amazon, and just like food manufacturers want their stuff on the shelves of Costco or Walmart.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="kraychik"]

James161324

Movie theaters have been in decline for an very long time, and the game console and car point is stupid. People buy a new car because it has better features than their old one. People buy a new console because it has better features than their old one. Video games aren't progressively getting better unless you count graphics. A ton of people prefer older games to a lot of newer ones because it is better quality. With cars you get newer and better stuff all the time. Better speakers, better brakes, better design, etc.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kraychik

Not a chance. If anything, it helps an IP if a later iteration releases. I was on the fence about Just Cause 2, and saw it was on sale for $7.50. I bought it on a whim and absolutely LOVED it. I even went and bought some of the DLC to further support the devs since I had bought the game so cheap. When Just Cause 3 release, you bet your ass I'll be buying it.

Same thing goes with Metro 2033. Bought it for $5, loved it, can't wait until Metro Last Light.

Had those games not been on sale for that cheap I may have skipped over the series entirely

BPoole96
Ssshhhhhhh! You're shattering the illusions of people who oppose free markets! Stop it, you may upset a DeMartini-type drone!
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 James161324

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Steam's deep discounting practices will hurt Valve, and the entire gaming industry. in the long run. They can make great money off it now, but it will all fall apart soon, once people stop buying games for full price due to the crazy amount of good games you can get for dirt cheap during a steam sale. Why would anyone bother buying a game for full price when you can get it a year or two later for half the price? Not to mention they would already have a huge backlog of other AAA games they got on sale on steam. It all depends on how far they take it. You seem to be saying that "if they're making money on it now, it will be good forever." and that's not true.

Toxic-Seahorse

Movie theaters have been in decline for an very long time, and the game console and car point is stupid. People buy a new car because it has better features than their old one. People buy a new console because it has better features than their old one. Video games aren't progressively getting better unless you count graphics. A ton of people prefer older games to a lot of newer ones because it is better quality. With cars you get newer and better stuff all the time. Better speakers, better brakes, better design, etc.

Your logic is flawed. Movie theaters are still breaking records well it may be declining it still is going very strong. With a car you can wait till the end of the year and boom its cheaper, so why don't people wait till then, becuase they want it now. Steam sales will never hurt the industry becuase there are millions who want it now and will pay more. I don't want to wait 3-6 months to play a game i want.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kraychik

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="James161324"]

James161324

Your logic is flawed. Movie theaters are still breaking records well it may be declining it still is going very strong. With a car you can wait till the end of the year and boom its cheaper, so why don't people wait till then, becuase they want it now. Steam sales will never hurt the industry becuase there are millions who want it now and will pay more. I don't want to wait 3-6 months to play a game i want.

Either Toxic-Seahorse is unable to understand, or he simply refuses to understand. Either way, you've made you point very, very, very clear. I think you and I are wasting our time with this guy.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse

James161324

Nowhere did I say it would kill the gaming industry, but it would decline. As a matter of fact, you just gave me the perfect example. Movie theaters' decline was due to there being a cheaper alternative that you only had to wait a couple of months after the movie release to buy. It is literally the same exact thing that is going on here with steam.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Movie theaters have been in decline for an very long time, and the game console and car point is stupid. People buy a new car because it has better features than their old one. People buy a new console because it has better features than their old one. Video games aren't progressively getting better unless you count graphics. A ton of people prefer older games to a lot of newer ones because it is better quality. With cars you get newer and better stuff all the time. Better speakers, better brakes, better design, etc. kraychik

Either Toxic-Seahorse is unable to understand, or he simply refuses to understand. Either way, you've made you point very, very, very clear. I think you and I are wasting our time with this guy.

Way to make yourself feel like you're contributing to the debate.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kraychik
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Movie theaters have been in decline for an very long time, and the game console and car point is stupid. People buy a new car because it has better features than their old one. People buy a new console because it has better features than their old one. Video games aren't progressively getting better unless you count graphics. A ton of people prefer older games to a lot of newer ones because it is better quality. With cars you get newer and better stuff all the time. Better speakers, better brakes, better design, etc. Toxic-Seahorse

Nowhere did I say it would kill the gaming industry, but it would decline. As a matter of fact, you just gave me the perfect example. Movie theaters' decline was due to there being a cheaper alternative that you only had to wait a couple of months after the movie release to buy. It is literally the same exact thing that is going on here with steam.

Yet, more movies are being made these days than ever before. Seriously it's a waste of time trying to have this conversation with you as you keep ignoring obvious points about business. Your assertion that Steam's discounting of games will "hurt the industry" or "hurt gaming developers" is ridiculous, as the exact opposite is true.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toxic-Seahorse

kraychik

Yet, more movies are being made these days than ever before. Seriously it's a waste of time trying to have this conversation with you as you keep ignoring obvious points about business. Your assertion that Steam's discounting of games will "hurt the industry" or "hurt gaming developers" is ridiculous, as the exact opposite is true.

Yet you fail to refute my point. I never said the number of games made would decline, so bringing up more movies being made is pointless.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

metroidfood

Exactly. I hardly see how this is a problem to newer games, which typically sell for full price just fine.

Sales seem to be best for older games, the only thing I see Valve/Steam doing is extending the shelf life for games.

Well said to the both of you.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kraychik
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kraychik"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Nowhere did I say it would kill the gaming industry, but it would decline. As a matter of fact, you just gave me the perfect example. Movie theaters' decline was due to there being a cheaper alternative that you only had to wait a couple of months after the movie release to buy. It is literally the same exact thing that is going on here with steam.

Yet you fail to refute my point. I never said the number of games made would decline, so bringing up more movies being made is pointless.

You don't have a point, you're describing a false phenomenon which is the exact opposite of reality. Your original assertion is that Steam's discounting of games will "hurt the industry". This isn't true, and it's been explained to you more than clearly by myself and James161324, and clearly we've wasted out time because you are either unable to understand, or you refuse to understand. Anyways, enjoy entertaining your fantasies about Steam's business practises "hurting the industry", despite more and more quality and volume of games being produced than ever before in history.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

it's EA, is anyone surprised they are butthurt because they can't abuse more their customers?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Bad for the industry, good for the gamers. The video game industry in general needs a little hurting if you ask me. Do you actually think that higher budget = better game?
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kraychik

Bad for the industry, good for the gamers. The video game industry in general needs a little hurting if you ask me. Do you actually think that higher budget = better game?KHAndAnime
That's ridiculous socialistic rhetoric. The interests of the gamers are not in competition with the interests of the gaming industry. This is like another iteration of class warfare, where you're portraying the gamers as entitled underlings who are exploited by the gaming industry. Gamers and the game developers have a sybiotic relatonship, just as consumers and producers do in other industries.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Must defend EA. My interests are of no concern. The overlord commands me to pay more for games. Must pay more, must buy DLC and spend money on in-game transactions. Must pretend to believe that EA will not ruin SimCity with trashy fun-limiting mechanics. All praise EA!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#38 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

"David DeMartini: We won?t be doing that."

Lies!
I bought Batman AC for 50% off 4 days after it released :lol:

And My cousin got BF3 like 3 months after release for 50% off.

You never do big sales my A$$ EA. They don't do them as often as Steam that's forsure, but B:AC and BF3 both went up pretty fast for sale on Origin.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraychik

Lies!

You never do big sales my A$$ EA. They don't do them as often as Steam that's forsure, but B:AC and BF3 both went up pretty fast for sale on Origin.

kozzy1234
Well said, EA has discounted one of its A-list titles, Battlefield 3, many times. I remember it being on sale for 50% this past Memorial Day weekend. Hypocrisy? I guess when EA discounts its titled it's.... different.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Lies!

kraychik
Well said, EA has discounted one of its A-list titles, Battlefield 3, many times. I remember it being on sale for 50% this past Memorial Day weekend. Hypocrisy? I guess when EA discounts its titled it's.... different.

Yes. I remember Batman: AC being $25 less than a week after release on Origin. I was one of many who purchased it.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Lies!

kraychik

Aside from the hyprocrisy there is the whole economic side that some people for whatever reason don't seem to grasp (probably because a free market doesn't agree with their political philosophy). You can make more money from less expensive larger volume than more expensive smaller volume.

I recall an article last year that where a developer said they make more $ from one week of Steam sales than a whole year after release. This is also why phone apps are so lucrative. Sell a ton.

But I guess people just want to hate the free market because its evil. So yeah lets keep prices higher than the market dictates so that that devs make less money and fewer people have access to the product. And to hell with that global recession.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kraychik

[QUOTE="kraychik"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Lies!

Mr_Ditters

Aside from the hyprocrisy there is the whole economic side that some people for whatever reason don't seem to grasp (probably because a free market doesn't agree with their political philosophy). You can make more money from less expensive larger volume than more expensive smaller volume.

I recall an article last year that where a developer said they make more $ from one week of Steam sales than a whole year after release. This is also why phone apps are so lucrative. Sell a ton.

But I guess people just want to hate the free market because its evil. So yeah lets keep prices higher than the market dictates so that that devs make less money and fewer people have access to the product. And to hell with that global recession.

Well said. EA will conduct itself how it wants to, as will Steam, and let the chips fall where they may.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] If they were selling brand new things for dirt cheap, i would agree. But things like Far Cry 2 going on sale for $2.50 is perfectly reasonable. People will only look to buy older games at certain thresholds. They generally only discount things once they've made their big release bucksElann2008

adding on to my point, I bought games like Skyrim, BF3, SWTOR, Mafia II...on day one, full price because I felt they were all worth that pricetag and worth getting day one. I got Mount & Blade Warband and the DLC for $10 a few months ago because I felt comfortable at that price. I like the game, I just didn't think I'd play it enough to justify the top price tag.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kraychik
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

wis3boi

adding on to my point, I bought games like Skyrim, BF3, SWTOR, Mafia II...on day one, full price because I felt they were all worth that pricetag and worth getting day one. I got Mount & Blade Warband and the DLC for $10 a few months ago because I felt comfortable at that price. I like the game, I just didn't think I'd play it enough to justify the top price tag.

According to Toxic-Seahorse, gamers like you don't exist. Or maybe he just thinks you're just a stupid gamer who doesn't wait for a sale.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

wis3boi

*nods* I am exactly the same way. I bought all of those games day one as well. Right now, I want two games: Wargame European Escalation and Arma 2: Combined Ops. I have the non-steam version of both, and I ended up having issues getting Day Z mod to work so I will be waiting for a Steam Sale on it. They deserve the money anyways. Wargame EE, I read that it is pretty difficult but my concern are the bugs at the moment like the game crashing, black screening. I will wait for a sale this summer sale. Might as well right? It's only a few weeks away!

But speaking of Mount and Blade Warband, there's a Paradox Interactive discount going on on all of their games. :)

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

EA just don't want to discount their origin games that much to compete, they like a bigger profit.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

Putting a game on sale cheapens the intellectual property?! Really EA? You have the balls to talk about cheapening intellecutal property after what you did to Mass Effects 3 ending?

Anyway I was always under the assumption that Valve paid the difference from games on sale to the developers. You could argue that having sales makes people wait to buy a game, which is true I am guily of that and I'm currently waiting for the steam sale to buy Raccoon City and Max Payne 3, but the same could be said for console gamers waiting for a games price to be lowered or for it to come into gamestop used. As the article said a lot of games are not worth $60 and I think that is a major problem. With so many games coming out people cannot spend $60 on multiple games. During the steam summer sale I do not expect Raccoon City to be anything more than 40% off at maximum because the game is too new and I don't think there is anything wrong with Valve doing that.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kraychik

EA just don't want to discount their origin games that much to compete, they like a bigger profit.

PcGamingRig
Did you mean profit margin? First of all, EA *does* discount its games often, so I'm not really sure what this DeMartini guy is talking about. Secondly, and more broadly, what makes you think charging more for a product or service automatically leads to more total profit?
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kraychik

Putting a game on sale cheapens the intellectual property?! Really EA? You have the balls to talk about cheapening intellecutal property after what you did to Mass Effects 3 ending?

Anyway I was always under the assumption that Valve paid the difference from games on sale to the developers. You could argue that having sales makes people wait to buy a game, which is true I am guily of that and I'm currently waiting for the steam sale to buy Raccoon City and Max Payne 3, but the same could be said for console gamers waiting for a games price to be lowered or for it to come into gamestop used. As the article said a lot of games are not worth $60 and I think that is a major problem. With so many games coming out people cannot spend $60 on multiple games. During the steam summer sale I do not expect Raccoon City to be anything more than 40% off at maximum because the game is too new and I don't think there is anything wrong with Valve doing that.

toddx77

Games will go on sale over time whether or not DeMartini or other fools want this to be the case. This is the nature of most businesses. Cars are also discounted at the end of the season when the new models come in. Same thing for clothing. Same thing for food from restaurants, grocery stores, and butcheries before the food expires. This is normal. Video games aren't any different as they need to remain competitive as newer and better games keep coming out. You have no "guilt" for waiting for games to go on sale. Many of us do what you do. Those who wish to get into a game as soon as it comes out pay a premium in order to be the first in line. There have been some games I bought immediately after release, and games I've waited for to be discounted before purchasing. Again, this phenomenon is unstopabble, whether or not EA loyalists like DeMartini want Mass Effect 3 to be selling for $50 in 2016.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
Origin sucks ass already, and with his backwards attitude it isn't going to improve.