Doesn't any PC game rate a 10?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Afshin34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Afshin34
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Seriously,

I can't believe in all of the years that Gamespot has been reviewing games, that not a single PC game has been rated a 10. Is this some pro-console based bias or something else? I would think that at least one of the following would have warranted a 10 over the years.

Half-Life or Half-Life 2

One of the Ultima series

Thief the Dark Project

Alpha Centauri

Civilization II or IV

Starcraft

Grim Fandango

Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate II

Unreal Tournament

etc. I can think of several more that could be contenders. Yes, I have played several of the console games that have received 10s. The differences can't be that great, can they?

ZabuzaR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 ZabuzaR
Member since 2004 • 1291 Posts

Maybe spore can be the first... I wouldn't be suprized.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
The PC platform simply has a much higher standard than consoles.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Riven. Riven, Riven, Riven, Riven.

Riven.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

Riven.

JP_Russell

front page sports: football pro '95. front page sports: football pro '95. front page...

not fair, my favorite game's name's longer than yours!

oh yes, i could have copied and pasted, but then where would my joke go?!

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Maybe spore can be the first... I wouldn't be suprized.

ZabuzaR

I wouldn't either, but I'm really hoping that spore doesn't receive the first 10. Too many people nowadays are seeing the PC as a platform only good for playing sim games and MMORPGS. I know that Spore is hardly your average sim game, but I'd still prefer a game from a different genre taking home the 10.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

The PC platform simply has a much higher standard than consoles. shalashaska88

this. i mean, how does halo 3 get 9.5? its one of the best shooters available for consoles, but doesnt hold a candle to any unreal game or any of the valve shooters.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Riven.

JP_Russell

Got a 7.8 on PC. What's your point?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
The old reviewersA(Greg) were probably stricker and hold PC games at a higher standerd.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
A very interesting question, there are quite a few games that I think should have been given a 10.. Baldur's Gate 2 and Freespace 2 come to mind.
iamthe1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iamthe1ne
Member since 2003 • 628 Posts
thief dark project and baldur's gate series definitely deserves a 10
bart1987227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bart1987227
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
me either.
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
Meh...some games are a 10 to me...they aren't perfect, but close enough. I don't have to agree with some other "professional" reviewer's opinion.
Lord-Nerevar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lord-Nerevar
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
The fact of the matter is a PC is way better for gaming and thus, its standards are much higher than any ps or x box. The PC's controls are simply superior.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Riven.

Johnny_Rock

Got a 7.8 on PC. What's your point?

My point is that it's a game that should rate a 10 (in my opinion, and it is so far the only game I've played that I would give a 10). It is drastically underscored by Gamespot to me.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts
The scores haven't meant that much to me ever since they changed the rating system. Regardless, I prefer not to see 10's being passed out the way they are now and I have no problem with there being no 10-scoring games for pc. No matter how they define it, a 10 will always be associated with perfection. If I were a reviewer I would only give out a 10 if I were sure that the game I just played is as good as it gets and I couldn't imagine anyone thinking otherwise (which pretty much equals never). Besides, what's the added value of rating a game a 10 over a 9.5?
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It comes down to personal opinion.. Someone might rate a game a 10 while someone else might not like it at all and rate it far lower. You should read multiple reviews (peoples opinions) to get an idea of a game, not just read one persons opinion and take it like a fact.. its an opinion, and they vary from person to person.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Gamespot is corrupt.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts

Seriously,

Is this some pro-console based bias or something else?Afshin34

I thought you knew that already. Tony Hawk 3 got a perfect 10, so did GTA4 for BOTH consoles even though the PS3 had inferior graphics and different controls which many people thought was worse than the 360 version. Good game + Mega-hype = Perfect 10 (even with the list of bad things they mention about the game)
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Tons of PC games deserve 10s - in recent memory, Crysis and The Orange Box to name just two.

But remember that GameSpot's scoring system has changed recently - it's not like they've been throwing tens out like confetti to console games all these years. Only one or two console games scored ten prior to the reshuffling of last year.

We can probably expect some PC 10s sooner or later, now.

But, I have to say, who the **** gives a **** what the **** GameSpot says or thinks about games? Surely they've proven themselves to be a bunch of ****ing ****ty ****faced ****eating ****heads.

Disclaimer: I have replaced the word nice with asterisks as I dislike typing the word nice.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

But, I have to say, who the **** gives a **** what the **** GameSpot says or thinks about games?

This.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

But, I have to say, who the **** gives a **** what the **** GameSpot says or thinks about games?

This.

artur79

ditto

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Tons of PC games deserve 10s - in recent memory, Crysis and The Orange Box to name just two.

But remember that GameSpot's scoring system has changed recently - it's not like they've been throwing tens out like confetti to console games all these years. Only one or two console games scored ten prior to the reshuffling of last year.

We can probably expect some PC 10s sooner or later, now.

But, I have to say, who the **** gives a **** what the **** GameSpot says or thinks about games? Surely they've proven themselves to be a bunch of ****ing ****ty ****faced ****eating ****heads.

Disclaimer: I have replaced the word nice with asterisks as I dislike typing the word nice.

fatshodan
Well besides Crysis I agree that The Orange Box should of pulled a 10 but hey it's opinion. I'm just curious as to which platform the reviewer was experiencing the The orange Box on.
ravage19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 ravage19
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

+1

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

PC games can't win at places like GS they are too dumb to just rate the game. Example Oblivion gets 9.3 for PC, 9.6 for Xbox360

I owned both versions. Looks better on PC if you have the right hardware but GS knocks it down a few points because if you don't it doesn't look nice, while on the 360 the load times were so painfully long i didn't play much more than 10 hours because I just couldn't stand it anymore.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
pc should have the highest standards but also there are some writers who are paid by sony and micro soft to write ratings!!!
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts

I think PC Reviewers are more sensible and analytical then there console counterparts. I mean come on, two 10's in like two weeks is ridiculous.

Also PC viewers look more into the long term as PC is an evolving system where as console reviewers only look at the lifespan of the console.

I do think that's lots of PC games deserve 10 more then some console ones though.

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

Halo 3 is considered a great game due to console standards. Simple graphics, simple controller, less gameplay features, thats what is considered the average console game. A PC exclusive would have to be rich in original or fun gameplay elements with plenty of variety and sharp crisp graphics. Crysis got a 9.5 due to the above. But it would take a lot of effort and a lot of time to make a PC game that would score a perfect 10 on at least one website, due to the higher standards.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Nothing deserves a 10.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fatshodan

Nothing deserves a 10.McJugga

Then why does it exist? That would be like grading a quiz out of 100%, but the answers only add up to 90%. It's stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

As quality increases, so do standards. If no game has ever gotten a ten to date, no game ever will - so, again, I ask, why is it there if you don't think it should be used? All you end up doing by stating that the 10 should never be used is you make the 9 your 10, and you're back to where you started.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blackdreamhunk

[QUOTE="McJugga"]Nothing deserves a 10.fatshodan

Then why does it exist? That would be like grading a quiz out of 100%, but the answers only add up to 90%. It's stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

As quality increases, so do standards. If no game has ever gotten a ten to date, no game ever will - so, again, I ask, why is it there if you don't think it should be used? All you end up doing by stating that the 10 should never be used is you make the 9 your 10, and you're back to where you started.

we are waiting for that perfect game!! no has yet to make that is why it's there. it has to be flawless and everyone wants it.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 artur79
I agree on "PC-gaming has higher standards", but the fact that not one single PC-game has ever gotten a 10 on GS is BS. I think some people misunderstand the meaning of the words "higher standards".
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 artur79
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

[QUOTE="McJugga"]Nothing deserves a 10.blackdreamhunk

we arewaiting for that perfect game!! no has yet to make that is why it's there

Then wait forever. A perfect game does not exist. And never will.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

we are waiting for that perfect game!! no has yet to make that is why it's there. it has to be flawless and everyone wants it.

Firstly, there's no such thing as a perfect game - every game can be better than it is, and every game has flaws, no matter how few or how insignificant.

Secondly, like I said, as quality increases so do standards. If no game has yet been good enough (in your/whoever's opinion) to earn a 10, no game ever will, because as games keep on getting better, so do the standards by which you judge them.

If a 10 has never been released to date, a 10 will never be released. Rethink your grading system - it's broken.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackdreamhunk
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

[QUOTE="McJugga"]Nothing deserves a 10.fatshodan

Firstly, there's no such thing as a perfect game - every game can be better than it is, and every game has flaws, no matter how few or how insignificant.

Secondly, like I said, as quality increases so do standards. If no game has yet been good enough (in your/whoever's opinion) to earn a 10, no game ever will, because as games keep on getting better, so do the standards by which you judge them.

If a 10 has never been released to date, a 10 will never be released. Rethink your grading system - it's broken.

ok how about a 10 should be given if a game company makes a new genre and has no bugs lol It has to be fun and must play game.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

ok how about a 10 should be given if a game company makes a new genre and has no bugs lol It has to be fun and must play game.

Games have been released that meet all of your above criteria - do they not deserve 10s? There was a time when genres that exist today did not exist - do the trailblazers of old not deserve 10s?

All I'm saying is, if no game made so far deserves a 10, no game ever will deserve a 10 because as games get better, we expect them to be better - the two factors cancel eachother out.

10 should not be reserved for the holiest of holies - it's utterly redundant, and it serves no purpose. Remember that the point of a review score is essentially to enable the reviewer to provide an at-a-glance value of the game's worth. That considered, the distinction between 9 and 10 is relatively moot - game quality isn't an exact science, and nitpicking and reserving 10s for games rarer than a six leaf clover that can ice skate serves to functional purpose.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

Exactly what it comes down to. Even if MGS 4 came out to PC today with higher res/crisper graphics, perfect controls and a few added missions...It still wouldn't get a 10.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Which is a joke because it shouldn't be compared to consoles in the first place. I hate how Gamespot bases it's ratings off of these artificial "standards" that come from comparing games to other games instead of just rating games based on their merits alone.
DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts

:lol:

Yep that must be it...

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 artur79

Damn it, people.

OK, before I go on a rant: can someone explain to me in detail how on earth these higher standards make it impossible to get a 10 on PC? I just don't understand the logic behind that statement and how so many of you can agree with that.

Here is one simple example. I would have given System Shock 2 a 10 back in the day. Let's say I do the same with Halo. Are they equally good? No. System Shock 2 is better. Why? Because of higher standards on PC.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fireandcloud

Damn it, people.

OK, before I go on a rant: can someone explain to me in detail how on earth these higher standards make it impossible to get a 10 on PC? I just don't understand the logic behind that statement and how so many of you can agree with that.

Here is one simple example. I would have given System Shock 2 a 10 back in the day. Let's say I do the same with Halo. Are they equally good? No. System Shock 2 is better. Why? Because of higher standards on PC.

artur79

lol. logic is hard to find here at the forums, artur; you'll be a lot happier and far less frustrated once you accept that.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fatshodan
[QUOTE="artur79"]

Damn it, people.

fireandcloud

lol. logic is hard to find here at the forums, artur; you'll be a lot happier and far less frustrated once you accept that.

Yeah, but where's the fun in that? Come on, man - the entire point of internet forums is to make other people bow down to your superior reasoning!

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 artur79
[QUOTE="artur79"]

Damn it, people.

fireandcloud

Maybe I should just try this every time I get annoyed on forums. Although insanity later will follow...

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
the original diablo should have gotten a ten but no tony hawk pro skater 2 gets it instead :(
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="artur79"]

Damn it, people.

fatshodan

Yeah, but where's the fun in that? Come on, man - the entire point of internet forums is to make other people bow down to your superior reasoning!

but talking to irrational people is never fun, cuz they just can't follow my rational thinking. they can't see, no matter how much i try to explain, that they're being illogical in their arguments. of course, anyone who disagrees with me and persists in doing so is being illogical in my book.

damn it, people! just admit that i'm always right and we'll get along famously!

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#47 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Crysis should have been a 10. That game have set new standards for all FPS.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="artur79"]

Damn it, people.

fatshodan

LOL

psst - he says that only because he's good at it :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts
Single scores are meaningless to me. I treat any game from 7.5 to 10 pretty much the same, it's what is said in the reviews themselves that i look at quite closely.
filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
personallly I dont think there is such a thing as a perfect game, no game should get 10/10.