Diablo III to have 40 second log in delays to handle stress

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Blizzard are said to enforce a log in delay of up to 40 seconds to try and handle the immense tide of players all logging in at once.

"It's possible we'll need to adjust the rate at which we're logging people in to ensure a stable experience, and if we do you may see a delay when attempting to login"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117151-Diablo-III-Launch-May-Get-Messy

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
That is acceptable, as long as the servers manage to keep up and running.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
That is acceptable, as long as the servers manage to keep up and running.dannenissan2
Next they'll say it's acceptable for the game to be online only even if that means waiting in long lines to play your game on a weekend or not being able to play it on your laptop while travelling abroad. Oh wait...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="dannenissan2"]That is acceptable, as long as the servers manage to keep up and running.SKaREO
Next they'll say it's acceptable for the game to be online only even if that means waiting in long lines to play your game on a weekend or not being able to play it on your laptop while travelling abroad. Oh wait...

Dude you are a really bad troll so just piss off please

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="dannenissan2"]That is acceptable, as long as the servers manage to keep up and running.seanmcloughlin

Excuse me sir, but that is slander and if you don't mind I'll continue to discuss whatever I feel like. Good day to you.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I don't blame them. They know how to handle these things.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

If it weren't Blizzard, people would frown and whine at such a decision.

Blizzard is protected by the fanboy glass.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

40 seconds wat a joek

can't even be played offline

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts

Ravenshout
It's logic, judging by the popularity of the game, the servers are going to be loaded at launch.
Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Ravenshout
Well, when you are probably the most successful and influential developer on the planet, you get to make your own rules.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

dannenissan2
It's logic, judging by the popularity of the game, the servers are going to be loaded at launch.

google isn't bogged down
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

At least they care about a stable launch experience, unlike EA did with swtor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Ravenshout

They also have experience backing them up.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Ravenshout

:lol:

It's lovely how some people keep bashing anything Blizzard does pulling things out of their asses and then saying something regarding Blizzard fanboys.

How about you enlighten us and show when did anybody ever whine about something like this?

I'll be waiting ;)

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#15 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

No problem here.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

N30F3N1X

:lol:

It's lovely how some people keep bashing anything Blizzard does pulling things out of their asses and then saying something regarding Blizzard fanboys.

How about you enlighten us and show when did anybody ever whine about something like this?

I'll be waiting ;)

I am not complaining, as long as I am rewarded with industry-leading CGI cinematics after each act.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

40 second log on time. I assume this is for the first time when it launches, and will slowly trickle down. Maybe enforced during specific high traffic hours. I really don't see a huge problem with this.

There will be those to add it to their ammo pile to use against a game company that they don't like, or has released games lately they have no interest in (or made games other than the ones that "they" want) Its become a quite annoying little trend.

Gives me time to make sure I have my drink and all in order.

If they didn't do anything at all, there would stil be the same people ^^ complaining about issues with so many people loggin in at once.

Honestly if this little piece of info wasn't even released, and they did it anyway, I doubt half of the people complaining about it, would even notice. Especially since it focused on launching the game!:lol: Some people.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#18 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

40 seconds wat a joek

JigglyWiggly_
40 seconds isn't long if you're an adult. I can understand how shorter periods of time seem longer when you've only lived for slightly over a decade. Just work on your terrible trolling material or something while you wait.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lach0121

[QUOTE="dannenissan2"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

JigglyWiggly_

google isn't bogged down

lol not comparable...

If google, had its popularity already before launch, and then launched on a specific date, and people even pre-downloaded it to run, then maybe comparable. (maybe)

as of now, this is a very far stretch, and only enforces my above post.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ravenshout

40 second log on time. I assume this is for the first time when it launches, and will slowly trickle down. Maybe enforced during specific high traffic hours. I really don't see a huge problem with this.

There will be those to add it to their ammo pile to use against a game company that they don't like, or has released games lately they have no interest in (or made games other than the ones that "they" want) Its become a quite annoying little trend.

If they didn't do anything at all, there would stil be the same people ^^ complaining about issues with so many people loggin in at once.

Honestly if this little piece of info wasn't even released, and they did it anyway, I doubt half of the people complaining about it, would even notice. Especially since it focused on launching the game!:lol: Some people.

Lach0121

I was angry with Blizzard for not using their industry-leading CGI for many of the cut-scenes in Starcraft 2. CGI only constitutes about 10 mins of the overall cut-scene length. Diablo 3, if they stay true to what they have promised, will have 30 minutes of CGI that is no doubt industry leading.

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

Welcome to the new always online DRM era.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1

dav2693

Hopefully it won't catch on or people will rise up against it. Because it's ridiculous to have to be online always to play it. I know most people are hooked up anyway all the time but if your internet goes down it sucks to not be able to play it

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

This is actually a good move to space out the stress on the server. Sort of surprised more games, especially MMOs, don't do this type of thing on launch.

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Ravenshout

I was angry with Blizzard for not using their industry-leading CGI for many of the cut-scenes in Starcraft 2. CGI only constitutes about 10 mins of the overall cut-scene length. Diablo 3, if they stay true to what they have promised, will have 30 minutes of CGI that is no doubt industry leading.

Go watch a movie?
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="dav2693"]

seanmcloughlin

Hopefully it won't catch on or people will rise up against it. Because it's ridiculous to have to be online always to play it. I know most people are hooked up anyway all the time but if your internet goes down it sucks to not be able to play it

For me, I don't want my internet to go down when watching the interspersed cinematics after some dungeon crawling.

Yes, I know I can just watch them on You Tube, but watching them after following the story in-game is different. There is something so rewarding and satisfying about it.

I remember watching the Mass Effect 3 Sword Fleet Arrival cinematic after killing that bastard Kai Leng. It was totally different and a much much loftier experience than when I watched it again on You Tube.

You Tube or other video-streaming sites devalues the significance of cinematics.

That is why I do not want a lost of connection during cinematics.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

jhalter1

Go watch a movie?

I am not impressed with real-life scenes.

Also, watching cinematics after some gameplay and story-telling is different, totally different.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Ravenshout

Huh, what does this have to do with what I posted?

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I can certainly handle 40 seconds.

It is much better than waiting minutes to get into the game. 40 seconds is nothing.

Besides, if it makes the experience less frustrating it's fine with me. Remember, half the known world will be playing this at release ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

It is much better than waiting minutes to get into the game. 40 seconds is nothing.

Besides, if it makes the experience less frustrating it's fine with me. Remember, half the known world will be playing this at release ;)

danjammer69

Half the gamers of the world you mean :P

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

seanmcloughlin

Diablo 2 was the fastest-selling PC game before World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 came out.

The franchise thus far has sold almost 20 million units. Diablo 2 is, in terms of hard copies, the second or third best-selling PC game after the The Sims or WoW.

Blizzard games dominate the top-ten selling PC games of all time, and unlike the past days, the fans of their different games are more connected to each other.

Also, Diablo 3 is made, as with all Blizzard games, with the intention of using behind-the-curve graphics so as to allow consolites who are lazy to build a gaming rig and low-income people play it.

Half of the world is an exaggeration, but the euphemism of the phrase is not too far-fetched as long as we confine our discussion to the gaming industry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

Ravenshout

Diablo 2 was the fastest-selling PC game before World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 came out.

The franchise thus far has sold almost 20 million units. Diablo 2 is, in terms of hard copies, the second or third best-selling PC game after the The Sims or WoW.

Blizzard games dominate the top-ten selling PC games of all time, and unlike the past days, the fans of their different games are more connected to each other.

Also, Diablo 3 is made, as with all Blizzard games, with the intention of using behind-the-curve graphics so as to allow consolites who are lazy to build a gaming rig and low-income people play it.

Half of the world is an exaggeration, but the euphemism of the phrase is not too far-fetched as long as we confine our discussion to the gaming industry.

I know I was just joking around. I meant because not everyon in the world games severly cutting that down to less than half the population of the world even gaming in general. You know what I mean.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

There would be even less stress on the servers if they actually, you know, let us play offline.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
if only there was a way to play single player without an online connection. i wonder why no developer has thought of a fix for that yet... ohwait.
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I know I was just joking around. I meant because not everyon in the world games severly cutting that down to less than half the population of the world even gaming in general. You know what I mean.

Yes, I know. And please do not judge me as a mad person as I am so excited for all the CGI that is going to appear in the game.

I love graphics like you do, but since Diablo 3 is not an in-game, in-engine graphics king candidate, I use the cinematics as a substitue.

AND Blizzard's CGI is pre-rendered graphics king in the industry. ( I mean, at a glance, its hard to distinguish; only upon close scrutinity can you distinguish their level of detail)

I am sorry if sometimes my excitement turns into rage.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Lucky for them I don't know how to count, otherwise heads would be rollin'!

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
As long as I can play on release day I don't care. If they end up with server problems, then I'll start complaining. Still, having to wait to log in to play a singleplayer game is ridiculous.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="dannenissan2"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

JigglyWiggly_

google isn't bogged down

0.jpg

This is where I leave....

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]if only there was a way to play single player without an online connection. i wonder why no developer has thought of a fix for that yet... ohwait.

Thank goodness the offline Diablo 2 wasn't destroyed by dupers, hackers, etc ohwait
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

40 seconds wat a joek

-Unreal-
40 seconds isn't long if you're an adult. I can understand how shorter periods of time seem longer when you've only lived for slightly over a decade. Just work on your terrible trolling material or something while you wait.

lol exactly. 40 seconds is nothing. Get up, wash a few dishes in the sink, bathroom break, or take out the trash. I could name several things that would kill the 40 second wait. People are acting like it's soooo bad.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]if only there was a way to play single player without an online connection. i wonder why no developer has thought of a fix for that yet... ohwait.Bruin1986
Thank goodness the offline Diablo 2 wasn't destroyed by dupers, hackers, etc ohwait

Off-line Diablo 2 was destroyed by dupers and hacks? Really? Some dirty stinking hacker destroyed your single-player experience by forcing you to dupe items?

Blizzard fans really are amazing with their seemingly endless ability to rationalize damn near everything the company does. Too funny.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

40 seconds wat a joek

Elann2008

lol exactly. 40 seconds is nothing. Get up, wash a few dishes in the sink, bathroom break, or take out the trash. I could name several things that would kill the 40 second wait. People are acting like it's soooo bad.

All those things even take longer than that. A lot longer :P

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

The article actually said 40 seconds before you get an error message and have to try again. Doesn't say anything about how many tries that might take :)

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

The article actually said 40 seconds before you get an error message and have to try again. Doesn't say anything about how many tries that might take :)

MyopicCanadian

Yeah, if the game is more popular than they expect, maybe no one can really play until the next day. Hopefully their servers can handle everything. I will be trying to login at 12:01 and hope to get a couple hours in before sleep and work. I can wait until Tuesday evening if I have to though.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Bruin1986"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]if only there was a way to play single player without an online connection. i wonder why no developer has thought of a fix for that yet... ohwait.

dude, you're offline. you can add infinite chicken spawns for all i care. it's like saying skyrim mods that break the game ruined skyrim for you (and really, if it took that to ruin the game to you, then all is lost :P)
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Well, I've already decided to buy it knowing the always online requirement so I guess now having to wait an extra 40 seconds to play isn't too bad.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I waited in 2 hour queues for Tera, 40 seconds? Whatever.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

At least they care about a stable launch experience, unlike EA did with swtor

DoomZaW
Huh? SWTOR was one of the most stable launches of any MMO I have ever seen.. That being said, yeah 40 seconds is nothing..
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="dannenissan2"]That is acceptable, as long as the servers manage to keep up and running.seanmcloughlin

he has a legitimate argument.... stop being a fanboy
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

Bruin1986
Well, when you are probably the most successful and influential developer on the planet, you get to make your own rules.

is that a joke comment? rofl....hilarious
Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

To the people **** about this: R u serious?:lol: