Dead Space is annoying

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 xipotec
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

I really wanted to like this game but I am only 1 hour into it and it is ANNOYING!

I do NOT understand this 3rd person view they are using. I have never seen a game with this perspective. I have played alot of games 3rd person, but this view is terrible. I cannot see 1/4 of the screen. AND EA DOES NOT GIVE A WAY TO MODIFY THE VIEW??? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Its a real shame cuz the graphics and story seem good so far, but it is almost unplayable.

The mouse movements are slow and not precise at all either. I cannot fathom why EA did not just make this a first person perspective.

It also seems to me that the monsters just appear right in front of you all the time...is this what passes for scary???

What do you think??

Xipo

(this is an actual screen capture........notice the 1/2 the screen is blocked by your back???)

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
I think you should have done some research before buying the game.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Why did you buy it then?!
xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xipotec

Yeah I did some, but not enough I guess. I never though the 3rd person perspective would be so bad.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#5 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Yeah I did some, but not enough I guess. I never though the 3rd person perspective would be so bad.

xipotec

Can you try and take it back?

xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xipotec

Here is a comparison. I have Assassin's Creed also. This is 3rd person, but its no where near as bad. The players body takes up half the screen at times.

xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xipotec
[QUOTE="xipotec"]

biggest_loser

Can you try and take it back?

Can you do that? I bought it at gamestop. I thought pc software was not returnable for any reason.....

I would return it , thats how annoying it is.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
Only one person to blame....but yes you should be able to take it back without any problems.
xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xipotec

Strange I am getting the "your to blame" racket. Why am I to blame for a terrible game? I had no way to play it before I bought it...no demo I ever saw. I am not sure what you can learn from screenshots or videos? It does not translate into how the game plays?

Sorry, but how am I at fault for a crappy game EA made? Haven't any of you bought a product that did not live up to your expectations?

-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
quick question: I play my PC games and xbox 360 games on a 22 inch lcd moniter. I was going to get the PC version for its superior graphics, but does anyone think I should get the 360 for the controls/view? Even though the graphics will probably be a little stretchier and less rich on 360? Can i use a 360 controller on the pc for it?
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#11 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Well personally I have no problems with the 3rd person camera, it seemed obvious to me they wanted to make you feel claustrophobic with yourself. The back of the suit serves as a HUD and you are close in so you can't see what is behind you.

Controls are fine, vsync makes the mouse horrible so turn that off. Game is great for me.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
quick question: I play my PC games and xbox 360 games on a 22 inch lcd moniter. I was going to get the PC version for its superior graphics, but does anyone think I should get the 360 for the controls/view? Even though the graphics will probably be a little stretchier and less rich on 360? Can i use a 360 controller on the pc for it?-PS360-
Just get in on PC and use a 360 USB controller.
xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xipotec

Well personally I have no problems with the 3rd person camera, it seemed obvious to me they wanted to make you feel claustrophobic with yourself. The back of the suit serves as a HUD and you are close in so you can't see what is behind you.

Controls are fine, vsync makes the mouse horrible so turn that off. Game is great for me.

nutcrackr

I do have Vsync on, I'll turn it off next time I play.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
i think they designed it for controller.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
People play it on PS3, they said this game is pretty good. but why not for PC?
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

Strange I am getting the "your to blame" racket. Why am I to blame for a terrible game? I had no way to play it before I bought it...no demo I ever saw. I am not sure what you can learn from screenshots or videos? It does not translate into how the game plays?

xipotec

Strange.....I haven't even bought the game yet and I know exactly how the game plays. The gameplay videos made it quite obvious.....I really can't understand how you're surpised at how your character takes up so much of the screen since you claim to have seen screenshots/videos? Yes, you ARE to blame....Just because a developer makes a game you don't like doesn't mean the developer is to blame. There are tons of different types of games that I dont' like, that doesn't mean I can go out, buy one of them and then bash the developer because I didn't like it.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Dead Space is third person over the shoulder game. Assassin's Creed was just third person. You should compare it to Gears Of War if anything, which still took up about 1/3 of the screen when you zoomed it.

I honestly don't know what you expected. Not being able to see part of the screen adds to the horror sense. And the camera controls are fine, so I doubt you'll miss anything in that blind spot (besides the enemies are about 3x your size). I haven't had any issue with this after about 11hours of gameplay. You lose peripheral vision in every other game when you zoom anyways.

Here's a better one of how much your body actually takes up when you're not zoomed.

You aren't missing anything.

Gears Of War while zoomed. A little better, but then again, it wasn't ment to be a horror game (It might have been, but it wasn't at all in comparsion with Dead Space). Gears of War also had a HUD, which is probably the main reason why it doesn't take up much space. In order to increase imersion into Dead Space. They removed the HUD and added to various locations on the characters back.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
I'm about to throw it out the window if I can't figure out how to gravity walk. PLEASE SOMEONE tell me.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Swiftstrike5

I'm about to throw it out the window if I can't figure out how to gravity walk. PLEASE SOMEONE tell me.MiguelNoche

Aim+Ctrl to jump. That's about all you need to know.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
Then, I have a bug. I've wasted HOURS.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Swiftstrike5

Then, I have a bug. I've wasted HOURS.MiguelNoche

What part are you at?

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

I'm a firm believer in the idea that it's usually best to play games on their intended platforms, and this was really more of a console game. I don't think they put much effort into porting it.

I heard about the sluggish controls in the PC version, and decided to rent it for the 360. I'm really enjoying it.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
Gamestop has a no refund policy on PC games because someone could just do a cd-crack on the game and then return it.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

I'm a firm believer in the idea that it's usually best to play games on their intended platforms, and this was really more of a console game. I don't think they put much effort into porting it.

I heard about the sluggish controls in the PC version, and decided to rent it for the 360. I'm really enjoying it.

cmdrmonkey

PC controls are decent from whats been said, and you can plug a 360 controller into your PC. I doubt the posters problem with the character taking half the screen would be better on a console.

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts
I don't think it would be either. I don't think he did any research before buying the game. It uses the same over the shoulder view as Gears and the PS3/360 versions of the GRAW games.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Im staying away from this until I see a mod for the controls. Remember RE4 for the PC? Horrible controls, until mods came out adding mouse support and key bindings and whatnot.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Swiftstrike5

Im staying away from this until I see a mod for the controls. Remember RE4 for the PC? Horrible controls, until mods came out adding mouse support and key bindings and whatnot.DarKre

I haven't had any issues with the controls, but I don't know what RE4 was like. I know in a comparison with the 360 version of Dead Space, PC controls are much better and easier to use (turn off Vsync to get rid of the "flaoty" feeling).

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Here is a comparison. I have Assassin's Creed also. This is 3rd person, but its no where near as bad. The players body takes up half the screen at times.

xipotec

Resident Evil 4 has the exact same gameplay and third person over the shoulder view.. It won GOTY.. You just don't like the camera, but it is common and was superb in games like RE4.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="cmdrmonkey"]

Captain__Tripps

PC controls are decent from whats been said, and you can plug a 360 controller into your PC. I doubt the posters problem with the character taking half the screen would be better on a console.

I played with both and k/b mouse is still much better. It does feel a little sluggish although disabling ingame vsync and forcing it in control panel helps a lot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814

Im staying away from this until I see a mod for the controls. Remember RE4 for the PC? Horrible controls, until mods came out adding mouse support and key bindings and whatnot.DarKre

The controls are fine.. The game has mouse support.. The keybindings are fine and easy to reach.. The single complaint that can be made about the controls is that the arrow keys is what is used to move around your inventory.. Other then that it is fine.. People who are complaining to me, it seems like they were expecting a first person shooter rather then a third person game.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#31 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Some people also seem to miss the point that this guy is in a big engineering metal suit, he's not going to be as quick as good old sykes in his nanosuit with speed on now is he?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-59d151f079814

Some people also seem to miss the point that this guy is in a big engineering metal suit, he's not going to be as quick as good old sykes in his nanosuit with speed on now is he? nutcrackr

Don't forget the man in it, is a ENGINEER.. Not some Jason Bourne super soldier... Wouldn't it be hilarious in the end the main character turned out to be Gordon Freeman :P

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
I'm hearing mixed reviews for the PC version but very good reviews for the 360 and PS3. Should I keep the PC version or get the PS3 version?. I also have a 360 but it went kaput but I can still use the 360 controllers on my PC. I'm asking because I haven't opened up the game yet so should I keep the PC version?. I mean I can try the m/kb first and if I don't like it, I can always plug in 360 controller.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Swiftstrike5

I'm hearing mixed reviews for the PC version but very good reviews for the 360 and PS3. Should I keep the PC version or get the PS3 version?. I also have a 360 but it went kaput but I can still use the 360 controllers on my PC. I'm asking because I haven't opened up the game yet so should I keep the PC version?. I mean I can try the m/kb first and if I don't like it, I can always plug in 360 controller.ForsbergFan21

You should just get it for the PC. The only difference is the control setup, which is much better on PC (IMO). I played Dead Space on 360 at my friends before getting it on PC. I'm not used to 360 controls, but the aiming and firing buttons felt ackward. It was like left-trigger to aim and right button to fire. If you should be concerned about anything, it's that the PC controls will make the game too easy.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]

xipotec

I do have Vsync on, I'll turn it off next time I play.

I did this and it helped quite a bit. The controls are awesome now, no problems at all. :D

And on the game... Awesome game. Simply awesome for a survival horror game.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="DarKre"]Im staying away from this until I see a mod for the controls. Remember RE4 for the PC? Horrible controls, until mods came out adding mouse support and key bindings and whatnot.sSubZerOo

The controls are fine.. The game has mouse support.. The keybindings are fine and easy to reach.. The single complaint that can be made about the controls is that the arrow keys is what is used to move around your inventory.. Other then that it is fine.. People who are complaining to me, it seems like they were expecting a first person shooter rather then a third person game.

One thing I have to complain about is the tutorials and button pressing sequences when a monster jumps on you. It says hit the A button.. which is the E button and it took me a bit to figure that out at first. Pretty annoying, but that's my only qualm with the game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I take it you have never played Resident Evil 4? Screenshots and video clips are enough for you to figure out the gaming perspective. I heard DS plays better with an Xbox 360 controller. I have an adapter for the 360 controller but I have yet to try it out because keyboard + mouse works just fine for me.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts

I'm Playing it at my PC with 16xaf & 4xaa on1440x900 using a Xbox 360 controller, so far the game is amazing, the graphics are great, the xbox 360 controller works great for this game.

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts

[QUOTE="ForsbergFan21"]I'm hearing mixed reviews for the PC version but very good reviews for the 360 and PS3. Should I keep the PC version or get the PS3 version?. I also have a 360 but it went kaput but I can still use the 360 controllers on my PC. I'm asking because I haven't opened up the game yet so should I keep the PC version?. I mean I can try the m/kb first and if I don't like it, I can always plug in 360 controller.Swiftstrike5

You should just get it for the PC. The only difference is the control setup, which is much better on PC (IMO). I played Dead Space on 360 at my friends before getting it on PC. I'm not used to 360 controls, but the aiming and firing buttons felt ackward. It was like left-trigger to aim and right button to fire. If you should be concerned about anything, it's that the PC controls will make the game too easy.

Thanks :). I usually get the PC version if it's a multiplatform game unless it's the very odd case like Mercenaries 2. I can't tell for the life of me what those icons mean when you try to hijack a tank or heli etc but also, when I did know, I found myself scrambling trying to find the correct key for them action button scenes.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Controls are fine. My gripe is that there is a limited number of saves, (I have 1TB of space!) and when saving you have to choose a device (C: drive) like it's a memory card or something. Fantastic game though.
Isbrealiompie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Isbrealiompie
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts
Did anyone else have problems during installation regarding files in the audiostreams folder.

The copy I returned and the replacement copy both have the same problem.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Max out your res? Idk it isnt as bad as you claim.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

Sorry, but how am I at fault for a crappy game EA made? Haven't any of you bought a product that did not live up to your expectations?

xipotec

uh.... dead speace in no way shape or form is a "terrible game". it is a masterpiece of a game, and you not liking it means nothing. critics consider this game AAA and the fans agree. your opinion, honestly, doesnt matter to anyone but yourself.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Swiftstrike5
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

[QUOTE="ForsbergFan21"]I'm hearing mixed reviews for the PC version but very good reviews for the 360 and PS3. Should I keep the PC version or get the PS3 version?. I also have a 360 but it went kaput but I can still use the 360 controllers on my PC. I'm asking because I haven't opened up the game yet so should I keep the PC version?. I mean I can try the m/kb first and if I don't like it, I can always plug in 360 controller.ForsbergFan21

Thanks :). I usually get the PC version if it's a multiplatform game unless it's the very odd case like Mercenaries 2. I can't tell for the life of me what those icons mean when you try to hijack a tank or heli etc but also, when I did know, I found myself scrambling trying to find the correct key for them action button scenes.

That happens once in this game. Someone above mentioned that it says hit the A key, but it's actually the E button. Tab changes menus. There's a seperate tutuorial for PC, but the keys that show up on inventory and other places are 360 controls, which is slightly annoying, but you get used to it after awhile.

Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts
I for one like the 3rd person perspective, its suppose to be RE4 style meng, but I do admit the mouse and keyboard suck ass, they should have optimized it arg.
xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xipotec

I have turned off vsync, and modified the key binds and it seems to play better this way. I guess I am not a fan of "over the shoulder" game play. I never played Gears of war, so I had nothing to compare it to.

Again, I can complain all I want if I do not liike the game. We still live in America and I can voice my opinon just like you!. It is just an opinon, so if you do not share it , fine. No need to get offended by it.

I personality think the 3rd person perspective in THIS GAME, sucks. (My O.P.I.N.I.O.N.) I was curious if anyone else felt this game was lacking in this way also.

It would have been nice to alter the view, even slightly. It would have been better (for me) if the camera was about 2 feet further back and about a foot higher. Seems I remember older games let you do this, strange in a newer game that you cannot.

This view makes my feel like I have a blind spot off to my left. Which would never happen if you has a true view that the character has.

Why should I be happy about playing a game with a huge blind spot in it? I want to see my everything in my field of vision.

I guess lesson learned...I will finish it though, and give my final impressions in a review (as always)

I'll stick with FPS from now on.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Swiftstrike5

Yeah, just finish the game. You'll get used to it. You should also try to max the resoultion. If you're not playing in widescreen then I suggest you do that also.

I've never been affected by a blind spot and it's easy enough to rotate the camera. Nothing is small enough to hide in it either =/

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

Resident Evil 4 has the exact same gameplay and third person over the shoulder view.. It won GOTY.. You just don't like the camera, but it is common and was superb in games like RE4.

sSubZerOo

i was going to say the same... RE4 won GOTY, so i think the problem is in the taste...

Jazz559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jazz559
Member since 2002 • 1750 Posts

In all honesty, the mouse/keyboard controls for this game are absolutely terrible. I plugged in my 360 controller and it was a completely different game...I would recommend a 360 comtroller.

Now as for the view...can't help you there

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 prowler666
Member since 2003 • 860 Posts

In all honesty, the mouse/keyboard controls for this game are absolutely terrible. I plugged in my 360 controller and it was a completely different game...I would recommend a 360 comtroller.

Now as for the view...can't help you there

Jazz559

i find this game unplayable with both of them. mouse is lagging and feeling very funny. then SAME THING with 360 controller! it's lagging and feeling slow! why on earth is it so hard to do decent controls!

i'm a huge fan of survival horror games, and i was expecting a lot from this game. Resident Evil 4's PC version was completely playable with 360 controller.

maybe i'll just torture myself for a while if i get used to the slow lagginess. i ain't gonna miss this game no matter what!:evil: