Dead Space 2 now $40 on Steam. Lesson: Never buy games on day one anymore? Poll!

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

A little over a month has passed since the game's original release, and now the game is priced $40 on Steam. So the lesson of never buying tech or MMOs on the first day is now being applied to PC Gaming in general as well it seems.

I feel bad for the people who shelled out 60 for it.

So what do you think happened? Why did the price drop so quickly? Also, do you think Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, and Dragon Age 2 will follow suit?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Steam really sucks for new games, there's no incentive to buy them at that price. D2D often has $60 games for $5 off and you can ALWAYS find a code. All those games you mentioned were 40-something dollars preorder at D2D. Steam's pricing isn't nearly as competitive these days, but their sales are still great.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
That's what happens after the developer's make the quick buck on first day sales. I for one will be waiting for Crysis 2 to drop to a similar price or lower.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Still 50 Euros here. Hot Pursuit is 30 dollars for you and 50 Euros for me.

My guess is they don't sell too well in America, so they lower the price. It happens across all DD stores, and not only for EA games.

Buying games on Steam day one is stupid no matter where you live. The other stores always have better deals (especially D2D), and you can find excellent retail offers if you put a bit of effort in it.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Steam really sucks for new games, there's no incentive to buy them at that price. D2D often has $60 games for $5 off and you can ALWAYS find a code. All those games you mentioned were 40-something dollars preorder at D2D. Steam's pricing isn't nearly as competitive these days, but their sales are still great.

MyopicCanadian
The msrp is now $40 from the original $60. Thats what this thread is really about. Who cares if DeadSpace 2 was $55 preorder? Still not worth it. D2D must have changed their ways since none of the upcoming games have special deals.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
That's what happens after the developer's make the quick buck on first day sales. I for one will be waiting for Crysis 2 to drop to a similar price or lower.gamerguy845
Yup, get everyone would have bought it regardless of price, then lower the price. Pretty much SOP.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Cranler
The msrp is now $40 from the original $60. Thats what this thread is really about. Who cares if DeadSpace 2 was $55 preorder? Still not worth it. D2D must have changed their ways since none of the upcoming games have special deals.

Eh? DA2 you can pick up for around $45 right now with the 20% off code for RPG's.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cranler
[QUOTE="MythPro1"]

A little over a month has passed since the game's original release, and now the game is priced $40 on Steam. So the lesson of never buying tech or MMOs on the first day is now being applied to PC Gaming in general as well it seems.

I feel bad for the people who shelled out 60 for it.

So what do you think happened? Why did the price drop so quickly? Also, do you think Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, and Dragon Age 2 will follow suit?

The only games that usually take a long time to drop are Activision games. Dead Space 2 now has the same price on Steam and D2D as Wolfenstein which came out a year and a half ago and was a mediocre game
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cranler
[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Eh? DA2 you can pick up for around $45 right now with the 20% off code for RPG's.

Never bought from D2D. Says $60 for DA 2. So where do you get the code from?
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I tend to sit on the fence for games until prices drop, although I can't say i like price tags that refuse to drop *coughlastremnantcough*

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MyopicCanadian
[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Cranler"] The msrp is now $40 from the original $60. Thats what this thread is really about. Who cares if DeadSpace 2 was $55 preorder? Still not worth it. D2D must have changed their ways since none of the upcoming games have special deals.Cranler

Never bought from D2D. Says $60 for DA 2. So where do you get the code from?

A week or two ago it was $54.95 I think. They regularly have a 20% off code for everything, e.g. on President's Day. You can also get a 15% code at any time from their referral program. Dead Space 2 would've been the same situation.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
[QUOTE="Cranler"] Never bought from D2D. Says $60 for DA 2. So where do you get the code from?

It's right on their sites homepage. Type in Burnout and any RPG is 20% off including DA2.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"] Never bought from D2D. Says $60 for DA 2. So where do you get the code from?MadCat46
It's right on their sites homepage. Type in Burnout and any RPG is 20% off including DA2.

I guess you have to be signed in to see it cause I looked everywhere on the front page. Wasnt DA 1 a bugfest at launch? I'll wait a few months just to be safe. The only sp rpg I may not have the patience on waiting for patches is Skyrim.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Dead Space 2 was on the top seller list for quite awhile, I doubt it sold poorly on PC. PC gamers shouldn't laugh at any PC game selling poorly.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MyopicCanadian
[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Cranler"] Never bought from D2D. Says $60 for DA 2. So where do you get the code from?Cranler

I guess you have to be signed in to see it cause I looked everywhere on the front page. Wasnt DA 1 a bugfest at launch? I'll wait a few months just to be safe. The only sp rpg I may not have the patience on waiting for patches is Skyrim.

Yes, it was, and a year later with patch 1.03 it was still broken. They eventually fixed it. I'm gonna pass on DA2 unless it's cheap. What about The Witcher 2? Looks epic, it was already on sale on D2D for 44.95 - 20% puts it at 30-something brand new :D
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Yeah right, i didnt- *looks at 40 dollar price on steam* FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="MadCat46"] It's right on their sites homepage. Type in Burnout and any RPG is 20% off including DA2. MyopicCanadian

Yes, it was, and a year later with patch 1.03 it was still broken. They eventually fixed it. I'm gonna pass on DA2 unless it's cheap. What about The Witcher 2? Looks epic, it was already on sale on D2D for 44.95 - 20% puts it at 30-something brand new :D

The Witcher 2 is looking good but I'm gonna wait on patches or the enhanced edition.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="MadCat46"] It's right on their sites homepage. Type in Burnout and any RPG is 20% off including DA2. MyopicCanadian

Broken how? I only played through once, but never had any serious, or really any minor problems...
nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
Well that's a price tag I'm willing to afford.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I learned awhile ago to not be in a hurry to buy games. When you wait you get it much cheaper and bugs ironed out. No game is worth 60 dollars.

Also good idea to wait for those 2 major sales steam does every summer and winter.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I tend to sit on the fence for games until prices drop, although I can't say i like price tags that refuse to drop *coughlastremnantcough*

flashn00b
I know sometimes games take forever to get lower. I want settlers 7 but never budged from 50 dollar price tag. I want it for 20 and will wait.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="flashn00b"]

Sleepyz
I know sometimes games take forever to get lower. I want settlers 7 but never budged from 50 dollar price tag. I want it for 20 and will wait.

You can get a retail copy for $25.
cmdrmonkey45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cmdrmonkey45
Member since 2010 • 360 Posts

I don't pay $60 for games. I'm fine waiting for a Steam weekend deal, or just holding out until the end of the year and picking up a bunch of games for next to nothing during the holiday sales. I have such a back catalogue of games that there's no rush to buy anything on day one. I wouldn't pay $60 for Dead Space 2, and I probably wouldn't even pay $40 for it. Why would I when I know it will be under $20 by the end of the year?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It was probably the plan. Some people will hand over whatever's in their wallet and publishers know it. After they've succumbed to their temptation, then the publishers can drop the price to what others will pay.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Steam or not. Get it guys. It's an amazing game. A huge improvement over Dead Space 1. And a shocking ending.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Neither of all those things. This is bad, very bad. It means that dead space 2 did not do well just like the first game. We wotn be seeing dead space 3 :( As for bulletstorm? I have not seen one thread in this forum about it. I feel alone.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

I paid $60, I'm satisfied. Paid $60 for Bulletstorm too, still satisfied.

Without relitigating the whole games should cost what I think they should cost without submitting any economic equation/consideration,

Do not underestimate the effect that Steam and PC gamers are having on EA and MS. GFWL and EADM have gotten in on the whole weekend sale, buy one get one free, bundles sales, and promos, this was not the case a few years ago. Indeed MS still refuses to drop prices on some of its titles, But I did see them offer Gears free if you purchased Bulletstorm, and I do see them expanding their catalog.

PC gaming is alive and I'm optimistic about it, despite piracy, the refusal to enforce IP laws (granted some jurisdictions have gone overboard with penalties) and a world wide recession.

I expect the prices to drop on every single game that comes out this year at some point.

In closing, unless I get a deal/promo (got Crysis 2 for $49.99 via Newegg 1 day promo), I will get Battlefield 3 for $60.

SkullShooter17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SkullShooter17
Member since 2010 • 199 Posts

Neither of all those things. This is bad, very bad. It means that dead space 2 did not do well just like the first game. We wotn be seeing dead space 3 :( As for bulletstorm? I have not seen one thread in this forum about it. I feel alone.dakan45

Why are you always so pessimistic?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Neither of all those things. This is bad, very bad. It means that dead space 2 did not do well just like the first game. We wotn be seeing dead space 3 :( As for bulletstorm? I have not seen one thread in this forum about it. I feel alone.dakan45

I'm pretty sure Dead Space 2 did far better then the orignal. It was on the top sellers list for quite a long time.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Neither of all those things. This is bad, very bad. It means that dead space 2 did not do well just like the first game. We wotn be seeing dead space 3 :( As for bulletstorm? I have not seen one thread in this forum about it. I feel alone.

Well, a lot of digital download sales aren't accounted for. We better see Dead Space 3 or else someone is going to get it. After the ending in Bulletstorm, I hope there will be a Bulletstorm 2. There's some things they could do to make the game more fun. The last time Dead Space 2 was at around 500k and that was a couple of weeks ago. Like I said before, this doesn't cover all the digital download sales. Man, why is a game so amazing like Dead Space 2 being overlooked? Pisses me off to no end. :P
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I never buy games Day One.

There are so many older, underlooked titles to play for cheap while I wait. Then I can snag the games a year later at a fifth or their cost or less.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008

I never buy games Day One.

There are so many older, underlooked titles to play for cheap while I wait. Then I can snag the games a year later at a fifth or their cost or less.

Fusionmix
I don't mind if the majority doesn't buy Dead Space 2 or other games day one... as long as they buy it. Any sales, even steam sales, can help boost the developer's earnings. With this, we can hope to see future games from the series or from the developer in general.
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Still 50 Euros here. Hot Pursuit is 30 dollars for you and 50 Euros for me.

My guess is they don't sell too well in America, so they lower the price. It happens across all DD stores, and not only for EA games.

Buying games on Steam day one is stupid no matter where you live. The other stores always have better deals (especially D2D), and you can find excellent retail offers if you put a bit of effort in it.

Baranga

Yeah, Dead Space 2 and Hot Pursuit are still in their original price here: U$60

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I'll rent for my 360. I don't even want to pay $40 for a game that constantly startles instead of frightens. The developers deviated too far from what they adverstised before the first game was released. They said it would not be another Doom 3 game full of monsters popping out of hidden areas. But that is exactly what it has evolved into. The DS2 demo was all about that.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Developers count on a certain percentage of people being trained monkeys that are afraid to go against the flow. They know that if they can just get enough people to accept higher prices that the followers will just go along with it,.

Developers charge exactly what gamers let them charge. . If everyone refused to pay higher prices, and waited for a price drop - they couldn't get away with it.

I don't feel sorry for the people that paid $60 - they are the ones who are driving these higher prices.

They need to wise up - maybe losing $20 will help that process.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

I'll rent for my 360. I don't even want to pay $40 for a game that constantly startles instead of frightens. The developers deviated too far from what they adverstised before the first game was released. They said it would not be another Doom 3 game full of monsters popping out of hidden areas. But that is exactly what it has evolved into. The DS2 demo was all about that.

Qixote
I thought the Dead Space 2 demo was a bit underwhelming but I ended up loving the full game. But it doesn't look like I could convince you to buy it, even at $40.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 urbangamez

Yup, even 99 cents is expensive when you think about it, 1 cent is cheaper.

Yup, everyone wants lower prices, except when you ask them to work at lower prices.

yup = informal word for yes.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

I used the promo code 3deadsp8c32 yesterday at EA store,got it for 23 $. I get a feeling it will still not be worth it.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Yup, even 99 cents is expensive when you think about it, 1 cent is cheaper.

Yup, everyone wants lower prices, except when you ask them to work at lower prices.

urbangamez

What does that have to do with developers trying to RAISE prices?

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GeneralShowzer

I wouldn't expect the prices to drop this fast for DA II.

Dead Space was a poor seller on PC, DA II could potentially sell 1-2 million. Don't expect it to drop this fast.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elann2008

Yup, even 99 cents is expensive when you think about it, 1 cent cheaper.

urbangamez
You're absolutely right but sadly, people don't see it that way. I buy major titles day one. If it's a great game, I feel it was worth my money. I will also pay $60 for Battlefield 3.
macronia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 macronia
Member since 2008 • 585 Posts
i really liked dead space 2 on PC , i finished it 3 times now on the 4th time on zealot and soon hardcore , the game amazing . everyone should get it and controls are very optimized . for that price it is very good
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 urbangamez

What does that have to do with developers trying to RAISE prices?

Born_Lucky

But they are lowering the price of the game, DS2 = $39.95 on EA? no ? and its gonna be less on Steam possibly end of this year, yes? :?

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeneralShowzer

i really liked dead space 2 on PC , i finished it 3 times now on the 4th time on zealot and soon hardcore , the game amazing . everyone should get it and controls are very optimized . for that price it is very good macronia

When i turn on Vsync it's locked to 30 fps, but without it the game moves in fast motion.

Almost unplayable. Turning on Vsynch trough Ati panel doesn't work on this game.

There goes the optimized part. I have to switch between fast motion and slow motion all the time :?

The textures suck too. If people on playing on TV's in 720p can't spot disgustingly low res textures, PC gamers can. No wonder no one bought this game.

Make a PC texture pack next time so the game doesn't look like 2003 game.

The game-play is pretty good though and that's the most important part.

Good spend of 20$.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MyopicCanadian

I used the promo code 3deadsp8c32 yesterday at EA store,got it for 23 $. I get a feeling it will still not be worth it.

GeneralShowzer
What the.. I totally missed out on that :|
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
A new PC game costs $60, it would be better to wait at least a month. Unless there is a game I would really want right now like The Witcher 2.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

MyopicCanadian
What the.. I totally missed out on that :|

Aw :( It doesn't work anymore?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeneralShowzer
A new PC game costs $60, it would be better to wait at least a month. Unless there is a game I would really want right now like The Witcher 2.Jd1680a
The Witcher is 50$ and has been 10% discounted forever now. Thank god some people still know how to sell games.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I am going to get Dead Space 2 on Steam sale just like I did with the original one. I stopped buying games on release day unless they are multiplayer games that I know I will be playing with friends.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

I have about 120 games bought...some retail some steam...if i were to buy all of them day 1 realease i would of have a serious financial problem right now...

Ofc there were games i bought day 1 realese but those are few exceptions...