Crysis 3 DX 11 only but consoles are not DX 11

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Why would Crytek make Crysis 3 Direct X 11 only on PC? Consoles don't have video cards that can run DX 11 so they get away with it. Why can't PC? I think Crytek is being cheap by not developing at least a DX 10 and 9 so you can run the game on older video cards. They did it with Crysis 2 why not 3. This will limit how many people will be able to play the game.

Your thoughts?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

That's a good question TC, i may have been able to play it at decent settings if it supported DX9 or DX10 but at DX11 with tesselation i don't think it'd be very playable for me with all the eye candy turned on.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Most likely it will have no tesselation and even if it has you can ( like most games that support tessalation ) probably turn it off and i'm quite sure a gtx460 should play the game at mostly high settings ( though depends on the resolution )
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Most likely it will have no tesselation and even if it has you can ( like most games that support tessalation ) probably turn it off and i'm quite sure a gtx460 should play the game at mostly high settings ( though depends on the resolution ) adamosmaki
I play at 1080p and even though it's demanding i could probably pull it off by turning down some of the higher demanding settings.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I'll end up getting the game on PC, but I have to say the multiplayer beta looks decent-enough on Xbox 360 in 1080p.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Xbox 360 in 1080p.Stinger78
Up scaled?
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Optimizing a game for both DX9, DX10/10.1 and and 11  is a lot more work (they're lazy).

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because it's far more efficient to optimise it JUST for Dx11 and make sure everyone gets a similar looking and playing game. Optimising for all those platforms and then Dx9,10 and 11 on PC is far too much hassle and not worth it. 

Smart move if you ask me. The visuals have improved tremendously already from the decision

LazyKris_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LazyKris_89
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Consoles are only limited by hardware resources, not by a API overhead like the PC which allows developers to add DX11 rendering techniques if needed. I don't believe multi-player uses tessellation and if it does then it's applied very lightly. I think it's great considering DX11 natively will improve visuals and performance.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I wonder how this will affect the pc sales because I know I won't be buying it and my xbox died of the red rings so that out as well.

I'm waiting for the next gen of consoles before I purchases a new one.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Crysis 2 was a pathetic console port that's why it supported DX9 ONLY at Launch,
Crysis 3 is developed for PC from ground up, CryTek thought DX11 would suit it better i don't know why,
Also seeing that most gamers now have DX11 Cards i don't think it would affect the sales,
Also, It won't be too long till other games start doing this too. 

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No. You're wrong.

Forcing them to split their optimization between 2 different DX verisons is basically telling them to develop on two different engines. 

They aren't being lazy, their PC team is just finally abandoning old libraries (DX10 is from 2007) and moving onto better APIs.

The console versions of the CryEngine 3 have their own team. Both the PS3 and 360 version have their own team members so that they can do the various optimizations on their respective consoles at the same time. 

Crysis 2 was deployed on an unfinished CryEngine 3. They didn't even have a DX11 renderer running properly in the engine when the game was released, they were forced to use more outdated DX versions just to meet launch. With Crysis 3, they've built the whole game around DX11. Every level, every model, everything is built around the DX11 pipeline from the ground up. This means it is more optimized and will run better with far more detail than if they would keep DX10 libraries enabled.

That's why the low and medium settings for Crysis 3 look as good as they do yet run well. 

It's not that they are lazy (it's pure ignorance to think a developer is lazy for not supporting 10+ and 6+ year old tech), it's that they have decided to focus on the new tech so they can push into the current generation of graphics, not get bogged down trying to support 3+ year old hardware that holds the game back.

Remember, DX11 features run deep. However if you decide to not build with DX11, you have to build your art and your levels with that in mind and thus miss out on the real advantage of DX11. People scoff at DX11 because they've never actually seen a DX11 native game. Usually DX11 games just take some DX11 features and lay them over the top of DX10, so they aren't really noticeable at all. 

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wasdie  Moderator

Consoles are only limited by hardware resources, not by a API overhead like the PC which allows developers to add DX11 rendering techniques if needed. I don't believe multi-player uses tessellation and if it does then it's applied very lightly. I think it's great considering DX11 natively will improve visuals and performance. LazyKris_89

Tessellations don't need to be applied in mass for them to have advantages. A 3000 poly tessellated model has a lot more advantages. They don't have to worry about multiple LoDs for the model (saves memory) and the tessellations have better performance than regular polygons.

I'll bet you that they are using tessellations even on low settings. 

They have also come up with a lot of new techniques that are being applied in Crysis 3.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="LazyKris_89"]Consoles are only limited by hardware resources, not by a API overhead like the PC which allows developers to add DX11 rendering techniques if needed. I don't believe multi-player uses tessellation and if it does then it's applied very lightly. I think it's great considering DX11 natively will improve visuals and performance. Wasdie

Seconded, I actually tried it, And it's not just ground or texture or bump mapping-esque tessellation, It has water tessellation and foliage tessellation too even on the lowest settings.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="LazyKris_89"]Consoles are only limited by hardware resources, not by a API overhead like the PC which allows developers to add DX11 rendering techniques if needed. I don't believe multi-player uses tessellation and if it does then it's applied very lightly. I think it's great considering DX11 natively will improve visuals and performance. faizan_faizan

Seconded, I actually tried it, And it's not just ground or texture or bump mapping-esque tessellation, It has water tessellation and foliage tessellation too even on the lowest settings.

This is because they have deferred some of the rendering to the faster tessellation units. It's a much better way to approach stuff. You won't see LoD (level of detail) models popping in and out. It saves on video RAM and overall processing. It's just better.

In the future, every game will be using tessellations at their base. Even the PS4/Next Xbox will have tessellation units. 

Tessellation units are cheap and can handle millions of triangles without problem. They are meant to offload geometric rendering from the pipleline and free up the other resources of the card to do other things. 

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Why would Crytek make Crysis 3 Direct X 11 only on PC? Consoles don't have video cards that can run DX 11 so they get away with it. Why can't PC? I think Crytek is being cheap by not developing at least a DX 10 and 9 so you can run the game on older video cards. They did it with Crysis 2 why not 3. This will limit how many people will be able to play the game.

Your thoughts?

Realmjumper

Did you saw the beta version of the games in consoles? Doesn't even look as a DX 8 game, some people think that looks and perform worse that C2. In the other hand, the PC beta is...beastly. Way ahead from Crysis 2 -even being only a mp beta-.

Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts

Your thoughts?

Realmjumper
If by the time you boot the game you see a Nvidia logo, you have your answer.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

[QUOTE="Realmjumper"]

Your thoughts?

Ondoval

Did you saw the beta version of the games in consoles? Doesn't even look as a DX 8 game, some people think that looks and perform worse that C2. In the other hand, the PC beta is...beastly. Way ahead from Crysis 2 -even being only a mp beta-.

I played it. In some ways it looks better, and in others, not so much. One thing's for certain, though. Crysis 2 ran a lot better. For me, at least.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]I'll bet you that they are using tessellations even on low settings.Wasdie

This is because they have deferred some of the rendering to the faster tessellation units. It's a much better way to approach stuff. You won't see LoD (level of detail) models popping in and out. It saves on video RAM and overall processing. It's just better.

In the future, every game will be using tessellations at their base. Even the PS4/Next Xbox will have tessellation units. 

Tessellation units are cheap and can handle millions of triangles without problem. They are meant to offload geometric rendering from the pipleline and free up the other resources of the card to do other things. 

Nice, Also how is Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping different from tessellation? I remember first Crysis had something called POM (Parallax Occlusion Mapping) Which worked the same as Tessellation BUT was a huge resource hog, DX11 Cards however give much better performance with Tessellation compared to PADM or POM.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]I'll bet you that they are using tessellations even on low settings.Wasdie

Nice, Also how is Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping different from tessellation? I remember first Crysis had something called POM (Parallax Occlusion Mapping) Which worked the same as Tessellation BUT was a huge resource hog, DX11 Cards however give much better performance with Tessellation compared to PADM or POM.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

To push PC gamers to get better graphics cards so they won't have to bother doing so later in the future. Good Guy Crytek wants you to have a decent PC for Crysis 3 AND future games :).

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Consoles aren't directx anything.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wasdie  Moderator

Nice, Also how is Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping different from tessellation? I remember first Crysis had something called POM (Parallax Occlusion Mapping) Which worked the same as Tessellation BUT was a huge resource hog, DX11 Cards however give much better performance with Tessellation compared to PADM or POM.faizan_faizan

Pixel displacement mapping is something new by Crytek, I don't know much about it.

Parallex Occlusion Mapping is something that has been used far before Crysis. It's basically a way that applies a height map to a flat texture, making it seem like it has variations in its geometries. This is actually cheaper than rendering those simulated geometries, but is still expensive. It was a good stop-gap before we had tessellations. With PoM shading and lighting are applied to the height map to give flat surfaces depth. If you look at the edges of an object with PoM you'll notice that the texture ends up conforming to a flat surface. Looking down a wall in STALKER reveals that the surface is actually flat despite looking 3D when looking directly at it. 

Tessellations are actual geometries placed over a flatter base mesh made up of less polygons. The tessellations are applied to a height map, just like PoM, is, but they are actual geometries that protrude outwards from the face, not just sink into them and have lighting and shading applied. If you look at a brick wall that is tessellated you'll see the edges don't conform to a flat line, but they are actually 3D objects in the world. This gives more accurate lighting and shading as well is less expensive than PoM or doing it by a mesh.  You then set a strength that the height map is applied to the tessellations. The stronger that variable, the more tessellations are rendered. It's dynamic. The closer you move into an object, you can dynamically render more quality. No more having to snap to a static model with more or less polys and detail. This saves on video memory, is more fluid, and doesn't have any jarring transitions. 

DX9 and DX10 games would still have to have a detailed base mesh or use PoM if they want that kind of detail, so tessellations could not be applied to models as the base. Thus the benefits of tessellations do not come out when you have to accommodate for a non-DX11 renderer. Even OpenGL can do tessellations now so there is really no excuse to not go full DX11. 

When you see people complain that tessellations are just used for making high-resolution textures or adding unnecessary detail, that's because unless you build your model purely with tessellations, the majority of the benefits of tessellations cannot actually be used. The whole idea of tessellations is cheaply rendering a lot of geometry. Offloading the expensive geometry rendering from the hardware and allowing that to do cheaper post-processing, lighting, and shading. 

Crytek going full DX11 for Crysis 3 is fantastic. We need more games to do that. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] Seconded, I actually tried it, And it's not just ground or texture or bump mapping-esque tessellation, It has water tessellation and foliage tessellation too even on the lowest settings.

faizan_faizan

POM is not the same as Tessellation. POM is a way of faking what tessellation is doing.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Consoles don't use a directx API. they have entirely different systems, so they're not limited by the DX architecture. That's why, by getting better aquainted with the hardware, developers have managed to make the consoles use certain techniques that weren't possible with PC GPUs until DX11. They're still not very powerful, by today's standards, but they're not limited by Directx.

Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts

Consoles don't use a directx API. they have entirely different systems, so they're not limited by the DX architecture. That's why, by getting better aquainted with the hardware, developers have managed to make the consoles use certain techniques that weren't possible with PC GPUs until DX11. They're still not very powerful, by today's standards, but they're not limited by Directx.

the_bi99man

What techniques?

----EDIT------

From the Xbox360:

"Unlike earlier graphics engines, the shaders are dynamically allocated, meaning that there are no distinct vertex or pixel shader enginesthe hardware automatically adjusts to the load on a ne-grained basis. The hardware is fully compatible with D3D 9.0 and High-Level Shader Language (HLSL) 3.0, 9,10 with extensions."

It is a DX9 card that can pull some things a DX9 PC card can't... but a DX10 card can.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I'll throw in my opinion that it's just another M$ marketing gimmick to get people to upgrade their OS.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wasdie  Moderator

I'll throw in my opinion that it's just another M$ marketing gimmick to get people to upgrade their OS.Swiftstrike5

It's not. DX10 and DX11 were fundamental upgrades of the rendering pipeline that allowed a lot more features to be added and more efficient rendering to take place. 

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Not read all the post but i think this is good as soon more and more devs will make an effort for dx11. May be this is the start to phase out dx9 and dx10. I dont like EA at all due to other reasons but this is a good move imo.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I'll throw in my opinion that it's just another M$ marketing gimmick to get people to upgrade their OS.Wasdie

It's not. DX10 and DX11 were fundamental upgrades of the rendering pipeline that allowed a lot more features to be added and more efficient rendering to take place. 

Wasn't really talking about DX11 requiring an upgrade, but 'encouraging' developers to require DX10/DX11 so that people who want to play the game have to upgrade; they've done it before.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I'll throw in my opinion that it's just another M$ marketing gimmick to get people to upgrade their OS.Swiftstrike5

Wasn't really talking about DX11 requiring an upgrade, but 'encouraging' developers to require DX10/DX11 so that people who want to play the game have to upgrade; they've done it before.

Also wrong. Supporting DX9 means you cannot use a lot of DX10/11 features which make games look better without decreasing performance.

As I posted before, DX11 allows for a lot of things that fundamentally change how you would develop your game from start to finish. By simply supporting DX10 means you cannot use the majority of those features.

Supporting old libararies holds things back. There comes a point where supporting 3+ year old hardware is only hurting your game.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#33 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
They could, and they could do it fairly quickly without a huge financial outlay. They choose not to for a number of reasons like cutting costs and promoting higher end features. They would weigh this against the potential of loss of customers. Only time will tell if they made the right choice.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Also wrong. Supporting DX9 means you cannot use a lot of DX10/11 features which make games look better without decreasing performance.

As I posted before, DX11 allows for a lot of things that fundamentally change how you would develop your game from start to finish. By simply supporting DX10 means you cannot use the majority of those features.

Supporting old libararies holds things back. There comes a point where supporting 3+ year old hardware is only hurting your game.

It depends on how many people still use DX9, since not coding for DX9 is likely to hurt you more than a bit of optimization for DX11. They're supporting 7+ year old hardware, but they're doing it because it's profitable. Besides, you're definitively saying I'm wrong even though you don't provide any proof that Microsoft didn't influence their decision (hence why I said it was an opinion), just the a reason why the developers may have chosen DX11 only.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] Wasn't really talking about DX11 requiring an upgrade, but 'encouraging' developers to require DX10/DX11 so that people who want to play the game have to upgrade; they've done it before. Swiftstrike5

It depends on how many people still use DX9, since not coding for DX9 is likely to hurt you more than a bit of optimization for DX11. They're supporting 7+ year old hardware, but they're doing it because it's profitable. Besides, you're definitively saying I'm wrong even though you don't provide any proof that Microsoft didn't influence their decision (hence why I said it was an opinion), just the a reason why the developers may have chosen DX11 only.

Wasdie has actually done a very good job explaining this, several times, in this thread alone. I highly doubt Microsoft had any influence on the decision. They wouldn't have any reason to care. Crytek is going DX11 native, because it will make the game look and run better. It's not a matter of "a bit of optimization". Going full, native DX11, and dropping all support for DX10 and DX9, allows them to completely change the way the engine is built, from the ground up. Developing the game to support DX9 and 10, as well, would have NOTHING but negative effects. The game would look worse, even for people using DX11, because DX11 features CAN'T be fully utilized, while DX9 and/or 10 are still supported. The game would also run worse, for everyone, using any DX version. It would also triple their production costs, as they would basically have to build 3 versions of the engine. As for the loss of potential sales from people who don't have DX11 cards, yet... That's just not a big deal. Very few people who would actually consider themselves PC gamers are still using such old hardware. DX11 has been standard for years, and most anyone who was actually thinking their system would be able to handle Crysis 3, is using a DX11 card. Most of them have probably been through a couple DX11 cards, having upgraded at least once, again, after upgrading to DX11. DX9 is ancient. Developers abandoning it is a great thing. If you're still not willing to upgrade to a DX11 video card, you're not really a dedicated PC gamer. And that's clearly the market Crytek wants for the PC version of Crysis 3. 

For the record, I am one of those people who considers myself a PC gamer and hasn't upgraded to DX11 yet. I'm still on a laptop from 2009, with a DX10 card. But, even if Crysis 3 supported DX10, I certainly wouldn't be expecting to run it at any playable state. Crysis 2 at bare minimum settings and 720p is totally maxing out my little video card, with unstable framerates, going from 15-40. For that reason, I was never thinking about playing Crysis 3 before building a new desktop, even before it was revealed it would be DX11 only. Knowing that it is native DX11, I'm even more excited about playing it when I finally do get around to saving the money, and building a new system.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Wasdie

You make DX11 sound amazing. On another note I can think of only a few DX10 only games. Were there huge advantages to doing DX10 only games too?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

They can both optimize it more and make it look better on pc if they drop lower dx versions.

Case study: see just cause 2.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

cain006

You make DX11 sound amazing. On another note I can think of only a few DX10 only games. Were there huge advantages to doing DX10 only games too?

Yes, but there just wasn't enough hardware out there that supported DX10 to make it worth it for any dev.

DX11 is even better than DX10. DX10 had some important stuff, but DX11 capitalizes on it much better.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

With dx11 consoles on the way I see dx11 only games becoming the norm quite soon. I would be surprised if any next gen multiplats support dx10 or 9.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"]Xbox 360 in 1080p.dramaybaz
Up scaled?

Not sure, though likely.

Edit:  I'm currently downloading the beta through Origin to see how it runs on my PC, also in 1080P on the same TV for comparison.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="dramaybaz"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]Xbox 360 in 1080p.Stinger78

Up scaled?

Not sure, though likely.

Edit:  I'm currently downloading the beta through Origin to see how it runs on my PC, also in 1080P on the same TV for comparison.

Definately upscaled, crysis 2 was 1152×720 on 360.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people still run Dx10 cards. I have an early generation Dx11 card. I cant see Crysis 3 running very good on it if Im forced to use Dx11.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people still run Dx10 cards. I have an early generation Dx11 card. I cant see Crysis 3 running very good on it if Im forced to use Dx11.bonafidetk
Why? DX11 is a more efficient API than dx10.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people still run Dx10 cards. I have an early generation Dx11 card. I cant see Crysis 3 running very good on it if Im forced to use Dx11.ferret-gamer

DX10 was basically a joke in the name of API, It was basically an excuse to make people move to Vista (Virus), Crysis had some DX10 exclusive features but it didn't mean DX9 was unable to do it, Hell a modder even made a mod which allowed the Very High settings to be enabled on DX9, DX11 is a huge leap compared to both.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people still run Dx10 cards. I have an early generation Dx11 card. I cant see Crysis 3 running very good on it if Im forced to use Dx11.ferret-gamer

Exactly. If your card is DX11-capable, a pure DX11 game will run better than if it was a DX9/10 game, with some DX11 features. And they're doing it because it will make the game look and run better for everyone. Except for the select few of us who still don't have DX11 cards. But there's very few people who would actually call themselves PC gamers, who don't have a DX11 GPU yet, and/or refuse to upgrade. 

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
If it really does improve performance over supporting DX9 and DX10. Then I'm all for it.Even though I can't run I can wait until a build a better computer down the road. Since I'm quite poor I may have do some used PC parts shopping around on amazon and Ebay. Kinda risky but I always check out return policy and the description before I buy. But until then, there plenty of games for me to play..
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

Can't really call a dev lazy if you have no clue how to make a game yourself and better, which would apply to most gamers

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
IIRC you can still play DX11 games with a DX10 card, but you dont get to use all the features.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wasdie  Moderator

IIRC you can still play DX11 games with a DX10 card, but you dont get to use all the features. Iantheone

No you can not.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]IIRC you can still play DX11 games with a DX10 card, but you dont get to use all the features. Wasdie

No you can not.

I thought that was like, one of the things that windows 7 did. Even if you only have a DX10 card it will still show up as running DX11 in windows. Meh IDK, been long time since I ever thought about it