Crysis 2 Steam removal 'not EA's decision'

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307454/news/crysis-2-steam-removal-not-eas-decision/

But this wasn't the case, as EA has explained: "It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA."

The rep added: "Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service - many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."

"Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more."

Thoughts?

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
My guess was that Steam just gave EA the finger and EA just walked away. Guess I wasn't too far off.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
My guess was that Steam just gave EA the finger and EA just walked away. Guess I wasn't too far off. gmaster456
Or maybe Steam did something fishy? God forbid Steam did something that wasn't holy.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gmaster456
[QUOTE="gmaster456"]My guess was that Steam just gave EA the finger and EA just walked away. Guess I wasn't too far off. the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Or maybe Steam did something fishy? God forbid Steam did something that wasn't holy.

I guess thats plausible too.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Haters owned? Almost everyone assumed it was some malicious EA activity from the start.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Remember kids, assume first, rage after and never consider the possibilities.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Remember kids, assume first, rage after and never consider the possibilities. DanielDust
This. Valve is HOLY. They can't possibly be bad at all!
PeelMyBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PeelMyBanana
Member since 2011 • 255 Posts
I feel like a butthole.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

or the result of any action by EA."

Spellingiscool

I highly doubt this.

axething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 axething
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

I think Crytek and EA worked together to "violate" the Steam rules and then walked away, blaming Steam.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust

I think Crytek and EA worked together to "violate" the Steam rules and then walked away, blaming Steam.

axething
Reading helps. It's about the DLC, they probably wanted to get it on Steam, of course it's EA and Crytek that wanted to do that. It's all we've been give and it's where all assumptions stop, you have no idea what they are required to do for such things to happen on Steam, unless you can find developers willing to share or make a pseudo game project and get Steam on it while getting all the info you need, only then you'll have motives to doubt or assume further, but go ahead, you're fueling this mindless hate bandwagon that all the cool kids got on this week ;).
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Remember kids, assume first, rage after and never consider the possibilities. DanielDust

It was a perfectly reasonable assumption when you consider shortly after Crysis 2 was removed from Steam EA had this on Origins site :-

http://tinyurl.com/5wv6tvo

See where it says "Buy Now ONLY on Origin", that page has since been changed to "Buy Now on Origin" :-

http://tinyurl.com/62tltbs

So something dodgy is going on here and no I am not about to take the word of an EA PR guy. I mean they are hardly likely to go "yeah we did it what you gonna do about it".

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
It would mean something if Origin really was the "ONLY" place, but it wasn't, only place that had problems with Crysis 2 was Steam.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

It would mean something if Origin really was the "ONLY" place, but it wasn't, only place that had problems with Crysis 2 was Steam.DanielDust

I am not getting into an argument with you DanielDust if you can't see why people came to the conclusion that EA had removed Crysis from Steam after putting up a page on their store saying "Origin Only" and then releasing a statement that says " :-

"EA"Gibeau told GamesIndustry.biz today that "you talk about platform exclusives like Halo or Uncharted… EA's going to have some of our own platform exclusives."

All we have from EA so far is a "oh it wasn't us guv`nor honest, it was those other guys really it was"

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust

Cool where there isn't anything to assume about on a certain subject, we start making assumptions based on a clear statement "EA having platform exclusives". There's nothing new, EA never released all their games on PC, or all the PC games on consoles and Steam also doesn't have all the EA games.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This hardly clarifies anything and is hard to believe anyway. If Steam suddenly implemented some unreasonable "regulations", there'd be more games, developers and publishers affected. It's just ONE game. It's odd.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Until Valve comments on this i'm still gonna say EA was the bad guy, just because they violated the rules dosn't mean the rules are unreasonable.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
While it's some insight, it doesn't really explain anything. I'd like to think it has something to do with EA's ass-backwards DLC policy, but the Dragon Ages and Mass Effects have stayed on Steam despite that.
Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

Given that EA doesn't have the best of reputations right now, they need to be a little more specific if they are expecting people to believe them. That vague language trips my disbelief meter. What sort of terms, relating to what aspect of the service? The only way they can expect me to believe them is if they are contractually bound not to say (and Valve also says they are under NDA) or if Valve confirms their explanation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

So what does this mean to those of us that have the steam version? It will now not get updates or add ons? Thats total BS for those of us that have it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
LOL...people are funny...they get mad at things that haven't even happened.
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

So what does this mean to those of us that have the steam version? It will now not get updates or add ons? Thats total BS for those of us that have it.

Advid-Gamer
Very good question. Also what does this mean for future EA games on steams service. Will BF3 be coming to steam? I don't want a billion download managers on my computer.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

It sounds to me like EA wanted the DLC to be exclusively on Origin. Steam did not like this at all knowing it would directly pull some people away to a competing platform. Is this the first time there is exclusive DLC? I know there have been exclusive preorder bonuses, but those are just small, free things added in not DLC that has a price and money involved. It's possible Steam already had these rules, but there wasn't any exclusive DLC before.

I really hope we don't get to a point where every publisher has their own platform you have to use to buy and play their games. Not only would you need many logins, but you also have to trust all those companies will remove DRM if they go out of business and keep the downloads available years after release. I wish there was some nonprofit industry organization that ran an open platform that all publishers used. That way none of them get an advantage and gamers only have to worry about one platform.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Haters owned? Almost everyone assumed it was some malicious EA activity from the start.

MyopicCanadian

LOL I have to agree, I thought it was an EA move, guess I was wrong.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmaster456

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Lach0121

You should be ashamed :evil:. :D

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

gmaster456

You should be ashamed :evil:. :D

lol Ashamed? No, but I am surprised.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

It's not about DLC exclusive to Origin, all EA and GFWL games had exclusive DLC before.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Probably tried to overcharge for DLC :lol:
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#29 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Strange, I wonder what that agreement actually is. Could be we see BF3 on Steam after all.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I don't think Steam is the bad guy, Not because I'm naive but for these reasons. 1. If Steam has layed down "unreasonable" demands regarding games being sold then why is it that only EA/Crytek and Crysis 2 is affected and not any other developer and games? 2. EA is soon launching their own Digital Distribution program, Origin and with the Crysis games being very popular it would make sense if they sold it there as EA would get more money from the sales done, then on Steam where Valve is essentially the middle man. Sounds more like EA is trying to make Steam look bad, possibly as an attempt to get people to go over to their Digital Distribution program.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

The answer lies in the article if people bothered to read it.

"Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service - many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."Article

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[quote="Article"]"Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service - many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."MythPro1

A vague PR statement from EA representative = an answer? :roll:
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MythPro1
[QUOTE="MythPro1"]

[quote="Article"]"Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service - many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."KHAndAnime

Right, because Steam is incapable of imposing restrictive agreements. Like, totally! It must be EA's doing! They ruined X series due to Y reasoning so they are Satan! It's wrong to blindly believe EA's vague PR response, but it's okay to just assume it wasn't Valve's doing!
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="MythPro1"]

[quote="Article"]"Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service - many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."MythPro1

Right, because Steam is incapable of imposing restrictive agreements. Like, totally! It must be EA's doing! They ruined X series due to Y reasoning so they are Satan! It's wrong to blindly believe EA's vague PR response, but it's okay to just assume it wasn't Valve's doing!

I'm one of the few people in this thread who isn't assuming a thing. Practically every single response I've read to any thread on this subject is pure speculation, and people making judgments based off that speculation.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MythPro1
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="MythPro1"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] A vague PR statement from EA representative = an answer? :roll:

I'm one of the few people in this thread who isn't assuming a thing. Practically every single response I've read to any thread on this subject is pure speculation, and people making judgments based off that speculation.

I beg to differ. I pointed out the response that shows it was not EA's doing in the article. You mocked and denounced it as a vague PR response. You're assuming it's not true or should not be taken seriously. If you want further truth of the validity of the statement, Crysis 2 can still be purchased on nearly every DD platform including Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, and Impulse. Hardly an exclusivity issue.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="MythPro1"] Right, because Steam is incapable of imposing restrictive agreements. Like, totally! It must be EA's doing! They ruined X series due to Y reasoning so they are Satan! It's wrong to blindly believe EA's vague PR response, but it's okay to just assume it wasn't Valve's doing! MythPro1

I beg to differ. I pointed out the response that shows it was not EA's doing in the article. You mocked and denounced it as a vague PR response. You're assuming it's not true or should not be taken seriously.

No. Once again, I'm not assuming anything. Do know what these rules or restrictions are? Considering that EA is the only one violating this restriction, what makes you automatically think that the rule or restriction has to do with greed/corruption on Valve's part? Didn't you see that EA was briefly advertising Crysis 2 to be exclusively on Origin before Crysis 2 was taken down from Steam? It's kind of hard to point fingers based on the information given, don't you think?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I beg to differ. I pointed out the response that shows it was not EA's doing in the article. You mocked and denounced it as a vague PR response. You're assuming it's not true or should not be taken seriously. If you want further truth of the validity of the statement, Crysis 2 can still be purchased on nearly every DD platform including Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, and Impulse. Hardly an exclusivity issue.MythPro1
EA's still being vague - a 'set of terms' that Steam has that other services don't. What terms? That's kind of key information if this press release is to mean anything. There's no way to know if those terms are unreasonable or not so we know if it's Steam who's being the bully or if EA knowingly violated reasonable terms. It's particularly suspicious because nothing like this has happened before and few developers and publishers seem to have as much of a problem with Steam.
deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Who cares? Crysis 2 sucked anyways, was stinking up the steam marketplace.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

deathshand707
Yeah, this. As the saying goes "And nothing of value was lost".
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

gameguy6700

It didnt suck actually was a solid game, but after all it is *cool* here to bash crysis 2. What a joke
deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="deathshand707"]

Advid-Gamer

It didnt suck actually was a solid game, but after all it is *cool* here to bash crysis 2. What a joke

compared to the first game it was "sucky"

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"] Yeah, this. As the saying goes "And nothing of value was lost".deathshand707

Still no, not really.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] It didnt suck actually was a solid game, but after all it is *cool* here to bash crysis 2. What a jokeAAllxxjjnn

Still no, not really.

Kind of was, you have to admit :P. Particularly disappointing given that this is a sequel to a near 4-year old game.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DanielDust
[QUOTE="Treflis"] 2. EA is soon launching their own Digital Distribution program, Origin and with the Crysis games being very popular it would make sense if they sold it there as EA would get more money from the sales done, then on Steam where Valve is essentially the middle man.

I hope you know Origin is EADM, it's been around for years, there is nothing "soon" about Origin, it just got renamed, too much "conspiracy" going on here.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"] Yeah, this. As the saying goes "And nothing of value was lost".deathshand707

It wasn't sucky. It was a slight disappointment. It's better than a lot of the crap put out today *cough*Duke Nukem*cough*

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

So I guess people that used there hard earned dollars and bought it on Steam are screwed. If they ever do release the mythical DX11 patch Steam owners will not receive.
If no future patches I will request a refund from Steam, or resort to other means to acquire EA games. BF3 won't be getting my dollars if EA will force Origin onto me just to buy it.
The game is still on my list, but went to play it and it said Steam Server Unavailable. I assume it is just busy. They are not allowed to stop you from playing a game you paid money for. That is corporate theft.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

As someone mentioned in SW last night, I suspect EA wanted some Origin exclusive DLC and ended up breaking their contract with Valve.

Sounds like the most plausible explanation to me, especially considering that any soul EA posses is stored in the form of children who are kept in in dungeons below EA headquarters for the purpose of recreational activities.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] It didnt suck actually was a solid game, but after all it is *cool* here to bash crysis 2. What a jokeAAllxxjjnn

Still no, not really.

Yes it was.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="deathshand707"]

wigan_gamer

Still no, not really.

Yes it was.

Disagree.. Crysis 2's singleplayer had better pacing, characters and what not.. Granted there were alot to explore in the first game.. The problem was the best parts of the game you really didn't have time to explore.. The pacing for Crysis 1 was absolutely awful for the first few levels until the American military invaded.. Than it began picking up.. Furthermore Crysis 2's multiplayer is at least decent, compared to the crap that was Crysis 1's.. Both Crysis 1 and 2's singleplayer have their pluses and minuses.. And for me I really couldn't decide which one is better.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I think your pacing is the problem in such an open game. Better characters? Come on! Where's Jason Statham?!