Can Eyefinity Be Run on Two Monitors With Different Resolutions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I have a 26", 1360x768 Vizio HDTV and a 24" 1920x1080 Asus monitor. Can I run Eyefinity with them? Does it have to be via the same type of input?

AequusLibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AequusLibra
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

Yea shouldnt be a problem. I have to assume that all GPUs with multiple connections (1 hdmi, 1 vga, 1 dvi, or other combinations) have no problems running two monitors (dont take my word for it). My 4850 has no problem doing what you are asking....dvi connection running to my monitor (1440x900) and the hdmi to my TV (37" 720p).

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood your question. What I thought you were asking was relating to an "extended desktop", which is if the case, then yes, like I said, no problem. However, I think your asking about running them jointly....correct? In that case, you're gonna need a display port. The display port connects to your GPU, and the monitors connect to the display port. Up to three monitors per display port...two display ports per GPU. As far as resolution goes, all the examples I've seen of Eyefinity have been with the exact same monitors. So i dont know if using different monitors will work. If it does work....I assume that the resolution for both monitors would default to the lowest of the two.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BluRayHiDef

Yea shouldnt be a problem. I have to assume that all GPUs with multiple connections (1 hdmi, 1 vga, 1 dvi, or other combinations) have no problems running two monitors (dont take my word for it). Eyefinity is only required to run six monitors. My 4850 has no problem doing what you are asking....dvi connection running to my monitor (1440x900) and the hdmi to my TV (37" 720p).

AequusLibra

How do I get it to merge both screens into one desktop?

AequusLibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AequusLibra

[QUOTE="AequusLibra"]

Yea shouldnt be a problem. I have to assume that all GPUs with multiple connections (1 hdmi, 1 vga, 1 dvi, or other combinations) have no problems running two monitors (dont take my word for it). Eyefinity is only required to run six monitors. My 4850 has no problem doing what you are asking....dvi connection running to my monitor (1440x900) and the hdmi to my TV (37" 720p).

BluRayHiDef

See my edit of my first post.
NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

You can run eyefinity on any 2 monitors that are identical without display port.

If you want more than 2 monitors then at that point you need display port.

Edit: Eyefinity being not extended desktop which all you ahve to do is plug it in. I had 3 displays running on my crappy 4650 one vga, one dvi, one hdmi. but all the games ran on just 1 monitor.

The monitor resolutions and sizes were 1920x1080, 23", 1280x1024 19", 1280x1024 17"

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="AequusLibra"]

AequusLibra

See my edit of my first post.

I tried it out and got it to work. I used a DVI cable for the monitor and a VGA cable, via a VGA-DVI adapter, for the HDTV. It worked just fine, but it was hideous, since the picture quality of the HDTV was far less than that of the monitor. I've already unhooked the HDTV. I'm done with it. I'm selling it to a friend of mine.

AequusLibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AequusLibra

Haha...well, at least it you know its possible.