Borderlands 2 with PhysX runs better on HD 7970 than on Gtx 680!

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

A lot of people don't seem to know that PhysX can be run on your processor even if you own an AMD card. In the case of Borderlands 2 the AMD cards run extremely well with and without PhysX enabled.

PhysX.png

"With PhysX set to high, the GTX 680 became 19% slower at 1920x1200, averaging just 60fps instead of 74fps. Surprisingly, the HD 7970 did slightly better dropping 15% from 72fps to 61fps, and as far as we could tell, the PhysX effects looked identical on both brand of cards."

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page5.html

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kalipekona

I did want to add, though, that results will vary dramatically depending on which CPU you have. Nvidia cards are generally going to perform much better with PhysX enabled. It's just neat that it can run on AMD cards if you have a decent CPU.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
and this is what I was saying on the other thread. I dialed up PhysX on high using the CPU and I barely got any performance difference. I was going to use one of my Nvidia GPUs and run Hybrid PhysX but after I saw what happened, I didn't bother.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I can't imagine nVidia being all too happy about that.

However, it's good that just because Borderlands 2 was an 'nVidia, the way it's meant to be played' title the devs did not ignore AMD optimization.

EDIT: Ah, they used a 3960X... That explains it a bit. Still great news for AMD owners, but this should't be blown out of proportion.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

I can't imagine nVidia being all too happy about that.

However, it's good that just because Borderlands 2 was an 'nVidia, the way it's meant to be played' title the devs did not ignore AMD optimization.

EDIT: Ah, they used a 3960X... That explains it a bit. Still great news for AMD owners, but this should't be blown out of proportion.

C_Rule

Yeah I have a 3930k and can play borderlands 2 with physx on high with no issue, I was expecting to need a dedicated card for it but it ran just fine. Kinda cool though

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

well physx is bull shet anyways. I was expecting this to happen much sooner. But good to know my computer can handle "physx" no problem, even w/o an nvidia card. Also since cpu's are only getting more powerful, nvidia will need to bring out some new propriety BS maybe call it physx "X" and call it a day. Or perhaps nvidia will force devs not to code physx on cpu's. Either way, 2013 is going to be an interesting year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Nah, I've tested this out; they must have tested it in an area with little physx. At some points my fps was dropping to around 15 with physx set to Medium, I don't even wanna try it on High...

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Runs very well on my 680 GTX with physx on high and maxed out graphics settings so far. Almost constant 60 fps even during heavy firefights with lots of particle effects.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule

Nah, I've tested this out; they must have tested it in an area with little physx. At some points my fps was dropping to around 15 with physx set to Medium, I don't even wanna try it on High...

Postmortem123
Specs?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

C_Rule

Specs?

7970@ 1200Mhz 2500k @ 4Ghz.

The CPU is holding me back a bit I guess.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Let's not get too excited about this. They used a 3960x for a CPU in this test. 2 extra Sandy Bridge-E cores. These are not the results that 98% of us would get.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

Postmortem123

Specs?

7970@ 1200Mhz 2500k @ 4Ghz.

The CPU is holding me back a bit I guess.

Oh damn. Well if PhysX kills a 4GHz 2500K and you need a couple of spare Sandy cores to run it, this article seems a bit irrelevant.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I have graphics on my 580 and the PhysX done by my 460.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

their cpu is beyond what most poeple will ever have, of course it runs fine. The average person isn't going to be seeing such great performance if they're using an AMD card

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I have a 6950 crossfire setup with a 2500k at 4.3Ghz and can't even run it on medium. I just leave it on low and stay locked at 60fps most of the time. The PhysX effects do look really cool though.
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1

I have a 6950 crossfire setup with a 2500k at 4.3Ghz and can't even run it on medium. I just leave it on low and stay locked at 60fps most of the time. The PhysX effects do look really cool though.BPoole96

doesn't matter if you have crossfire or quad fire, physx is only run on the cpu if you have radeon graphics. Hopefully, my core i7 is strong enough to run physx at high or medium like the hex core sandy bridge.

WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts

well physx is bull shet anyways. I was expecting this to happen much sooner. But good to know my computer can handle "physx" no problem, even w/o an nvidia card. Also since cpu's are only getting more powerful, nvidia will need to bring out some new propriety BS maybe call it physx "X" and call it a day. Or perhaps nvidia will force devs not to code physx on cpu's. Either way, 2013 is going to be an interesting year.

blaznwiipspman1
PhysX on Borderlands 2 is extremely impressive, some of the effects had me drooling

Postmortem123
I put mine on high with my setup, and in certain areas I was getting sub 20-FPS, but even on MId, it's real nice
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I have a 6950 crossfire setup with a 2500k at 4.3Ghz and can't even run it on medium. I just leave it on low and stay locked at 60fps most of the time. The PhysX effects do look really cool though.blaznwiipspman1

doesn't matter if you have crossfire or quad fire, physx is only run on the cpu if you have radeon graphics. Hopefully, my core i7 is strong enough to run physx at high or medium like the hex core sandy bridge.

Same, hope my i7 can handle this.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Sounds like we need moar coars after all

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 C_Rule

Sounds like we need moar coars after all

GummiRaccoon
Moar CUDA cores.
jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

I like the way all these AMD fanboys are always saying how crap and sh|tty physx is..........now they can run it a little bit they are wetting their pants with excitment :lol:

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

I like the way all these AMD fanboys are always saying how crap and sh|tty physx is..........now they can run it a little bit they are wetting their pants with excitment :lol:jonleeprice

Yet there is still no point to it, currently. Notice what people in this thread said about it....

PhysX on Borderlands 2 is extremely impressive, some of the effects had me droolingWWIAB

The PhysX effectsdo look really cool though.BPoole96

Ohhh... I get water that sorta reacts realistically and the same with cloth banners...
Until they get to the point where it actually affects gameplay, like HL2 when it came out, then it is nothing more than a gimmick.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I have a 6950 crossfire setup with a 2500k at 4.3Ghz and can't even run it on medium. I just leave it on low and stay locked at 60fps most of the time. The PhysX effects do look really cool though.blaznwiipspman1

Your Hyperthreading isn't going to help you.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hartsickdiscipl

I like the way all these AMD fanboys are always saying how crap and sh|tty physx is..........now they can run it a little bit they are wetting their pants with excitment :lol:

jonleeprice

I was just thinking that and laughing to myself. It's hilarious.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

jonleeprice
Did you even read any of the topic? The physX isn't done by an AMD GPU, but rather the CPU being used. AMD cards only run it better if you have a good CPU.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

Toxic-Seahorse
Did you even read any of the topic? The physX isn't done by an AMD GPU, but rather the CPU being used. AMD cards only run it better if you have a good CPU.

Also note that even with physx on high the GTX 680 hold up against the 7970 that's not doing physx....
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

Yet there is still no point to it, currently. Notice what people in this thread said about it....

[QUOTE="WWIAB"]PhysX on Borderlands 2 is extremely impressive, some of the effects had me droolingLordEC911

Ohhh... I get water that sorta reacts realistically and the same with cloth banners...
Until they get to the point where it actually affects gameplay, like HL2 when it came out, then it is nothing more than a gimmick.

Yeah it's nothing more than extra eye candy atm. I kind of wish I could run it on high but its definitely not going to have me running out and buying an NVidia card because of it.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
" It appears that TechSpot has erroneously tested PhysX on AMD cards using the CPU, which defaults to low settings. There is no way to run PhysX directly on an AMD card, and there is no way to run high PhysX on a CPU without significantly compromised performance." So was this test done using the low (CPU) phsyx? or were they able to turn it to high.
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

[QUOTE="WWIAB"]PhysX on Borderlands 2 is extremely impressive, some of the effects had me droolingLordEC911

Yes they are a gimmick feature, just like many graphic effects. But they're a real cool gimmick imo.

There's something oddly satisfying about all these particles lying around after having an intense gunfight.

borderlands22012-09-2x4jnm.png

ashtontheguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ashtontheguru
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

How does the Physx work with AMD cards? isn't the option normally greyed out for AMD owners in most games?

i don't own the game so im curious.

Just watched this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

I swear im really starting to regret getting the 7970 on release day and not waiting for the 680. Physx use to seem like such a gimick before, but those liquid physx look immense.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toxic-Seahorse

How does the Physx work with AMD cards? isn't the option normally greyed out for AMD owners in most games?

I swear im really starting to regret getting the 7970 on release day and not waiting for the 680. Physx use to seem like such a gimick before, but those liquid physx look immense.

ashtontheguru
If you would have read the thread you would know that all the physX is done by the CPU if you have an AMD card.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="ashtontheguru"]

Toxic-Seahorse
If you would have read the thread you would know that all the physX is done by the CPU if you have an AMD card.

Also to note that the experience in performance will be different too not using an six core intel cpu for everyone else
ashtontheguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ashtontheguru
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts
[QUOTE="ashtontheguru"]

Toxic-Seahorse

if you read my question you would have realised, i'm asking if it is just enabled by the options or if it is some kind of mod, as most games ive played it doesn't give you the option for phyx if you have a AMD card.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="ashtontheguru"]

ashtontheguru

if you read my question you would have realised, i'm asking if it is just enabled by the options or if it is some kind of mod, as most games ive played it doesn't give you the option for phyx if you have a AMD card.

Yeah you can enable it from the menu.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

jonleeprice

With Intel Sandybridge with 6 cores. Any results from AMD Bulldozer with 8 cores?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

ronvalencia

With Intel Sandybridge with 6 cores. Any results from AMD Bulldozer with 8 cores?

The results are bad because its only 8 integer cores, and all the physics is really floating point math (and bulldozer has only 4 floating point units), which would be no better than an i5.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

way2funny

The results are bad because its only 8 integer cores, and all the physics is really floating point math (and bulldozer has only 4 floating point units), which would be no better than an i5.

Note that AMD Bulldozer 8 core has 8 FMA FP(can do both FMUL or FADD) units. To process FMA type workoads, normal X87/SSE/AVX has to run two instructions. Not a big problem for SandyBridge's instructions issue rate.

Bulldozer's 8 FMA units is wasted for split FADD and FMUL instructions i.e. acts like 4 core CPU with split FMUL and FADD setup.

RISC processors such as PowerPC supports FMA from the start.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

04dcarraher

Also note that even with physx on high the GTX 680 hold up against the 7970 that's not doing physx....

Note that they didn't use the standard MS Direct Compute for physics type processing.

Horizontal compute bias GPUs has near zero benefits for lightweight DirectX 9c rendering games.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Toxic-Seahorse

Borderlands 2 runs flawlessly for me until I turn the physX up from low. I get around 30fps with it dipping under in action parts on High. So those that were wondering if Phenom II Six Core CPUs would run PhysX on High well, the answer is no. I still have yet to try it on medium.

EDIT: even on medium it's almost unplayable.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

ashtontheguru
This vid is a better comparison IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k1idbbr2pw
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

I was reallly suprised how well physx in bl2 runs on CPU. I can run it on medium over 30fps with my mediocre athlon 640

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hzZKfWTgbs

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kalipekona

I was reallly suprised how well physx in bl2 runs on CPU. I can run it on medium over 30fps with my mediocre athlon 640

ferret-gamer

Hey that's not bad at all. I don't have the game yet, but I wonder how it will run on my i5 2500k.

Obviously Physx is going to perform much, much better on an Nvidia card. But it's kind of cool that owners of AMD cards don't necessarily have to miss out on the seeing Physx effects if it interests them. It's a nice little bonus in some games, but I still think it isn't a huge deal. It's used in few games and some games have performance issues with Physx enabled.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Toxic-Seahorse

ferret-gamer
What settings are you running the game on? I have it maxed out at well over 60FPS and when I turn PhysX to medium it drops to below 30fps.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BPoole96

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

kalipekona

Hey that's not bad at all. I don't have the game yet, but I wonder how it will run on my i5 2500k.

Obviously Physx is going to perform much, much better on an Nvidia card. But it's kind of cool that owners of AMD cards don't necessarily have to miss out on the seeing Physx effects if it interests them. It's a nice little bonus in some games, but I still think it isn't a huge deal. It's used in few games and some games have performance issues with Physx enabled.

I have my 2500k at 4.3Ghz and it still will dip into the 30s on medium. I dont consider it playable since the frame rate will constantly be fluctuating during a fight. It will go from 60 to 35 back to 60 in a matter of seconds. It really affects my aiming so I just leave it on low

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
On one hand you have the GTX680 rendering the graphics AND performing the physX calculations, on the other you have the HD 7970 rendering the graphics while a ridiculously expensive CPU does the physX processing, yet it only just comes out on top.
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blaznwiipspman1

On one hand you have the GTX680 rendering the graphics AND performing the physX calculations, on the other you have the HD 7970 rendering the graphics while a ridiculously expensive CPU does the physX processing, yet it only just comes out on top.PernicioEnigma

its a good thing that physx can be run on any hardware...barely any games use it and the effects are usually minimal, but now maybe more developers will be more interested in using it, so this is a good thing overall. I want to see how borderlands 2 physics run on a core i7 3770k,should be interesting.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]On one hand you have the GTX680 rendering the graphics AND performing the physX calculations, on the other you have the HD 7970 rendering the graphics while a ridiculously expensive CPU does the physX processing, yet it only just comes out on top.blaznwiipspman1

its a good thing that physx can be run on any hardware...barely any games use it and the effects are usually minimal, but now maybe more developers will be more interested in using it, so this is a good thing overall. I want to see how borderlands 2 physics run on a core i7 3770k,should be interesting.

It will be nearly same as an i5. HT does squat as long as the all the cores and 1st threadon each is being mostly used. the 2nd threads are just leftover cpu cycles not being used from the 1st thread. You will need a cpu with more then 4 real cores to see good physx performance.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Toxic-Seahorse
I can actually run PysX on Medium most of the time. In some really intense fights it will destroy my FPS but for the most part it stays at 60 or slightly below. I get crazy frame rates with it on though. Like anything ranging from 110 to 30 in the most intense fights.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kalipekona

I can actually run PysX on Medium most of the time. In some really intense fights it will destroy my FPS but for the most part it stays at 60 or slightly below. I get crazy frame rates with it on though. Like anything ranging from 110 to 30 in the most intense fights. Toxic-Seahorse

In that case I will probably just cap the framerate at a solid 30fps if I choose to play with PhysX enabled.