• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Black Mesa is free to downloadStarshine_M2A2
Then it really does benefit absolutely no one.

What the hell do you mean by that?  It benefits people who play it.  It's fun, and it's a damn good remake.  

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#52 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

So the love and comments I receive from people for making free mods for games have no benefit to me? The simple act of receiving the possitive feedback and seeing their joy in using them IS the benefit to me, among the joy I get creating it.  If you're going to use such faulty logic, system wars is that way -->

wis3boi

And what do you do with that positive feedback and sense of joy? Does it encourage you to create more mods that insult original works of art? Perhaps that's where it began with the makers of Black Mesa - if they were encouraged to create it by a community that expressed such disregard for the preservation of culture in the form of this 'positive feeback' maybe it wasn't so beneficial after all.

The purpose was to remake the game for fans, that was made by OTHER FANS OF THE GAME. I am baffled by just how dumb people today seem to be. I can barley cope with society, seems everyone is becoming slower.

Advid-Gamer

Being a fan does not excuse a lack of judgement. I don't hold anything against those who play it. That's what games are there for. My objection is towards those who decided to make it without thinking about the negative effect it would have on the original, the alienation it would cause between it's fans and fans of the remake as well as how the game is viewed by future generations. I suspect that the name 'Half-Life' will probably become synonymous with Black Mesa rather than the original game with those who never played it. Which is not a good thing.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Anyword on the last few levels?

Cause I am holding off playing this until they finish it.. I have plenty of games to hold me over.

Though nice old school FPS itches are still around that have become increasingly difficult to scratch, as of the past few years.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]So the love and comments I receive from people for making free mods for games have no benefit to me? The simple act of receiving the possitive feedback and seeing their joy in using them IS the benefit to me, among the joy I get creating it.  If you're going to use such faulty logic, system wars is that way -->

Starshine_M2A2

And what do you do with that positive feedback and sense of joy? Does it encourage you to create more mods that insult original works of art? Perhaps that's where it began with the makers of Black Mesa - if they were encouraged to create it by a community that expressed such disregard for the preservation of culture in the form of this 'positive feeback' maybe it wasn't so beneficial after all.

The purpose was to remake the game for fans, that was made by OTHER FANS OF THE GAME. I am baffled by just how dumb people today seem to be. I can barley cope with society, seems everyone is becoming slower.

Advid-Gamer

Being a fan does not excuse a lack of judgement. I don't hold anything against those who play it. That's what games are there for. My objection is towards those who decided to make it without thinking about the negative effect it would have on the original, the alienation it would cause between it's fans and fans of the remake as well as how the game is viewed by future generations. I suspect that the name 'Half-Life' will probably become synonymous with Black Mesa rather than the original game with those who never played it. Which is not a good thing.

Now you're just trolling. Begone, filth

L0mak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 L0mak
Member since 2012 • 179 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]So the love and comments I receive from people for making free mods for games have no benefit to me? The simple act of receiving the possitive feedback and seeing their joy in using them IS the benefit to me, among the joy I get creating it.  If you're going to use such faulty logic, system wars is that way -->

Starshine_M2A2

Advid-Gamer

Congratulations on being the stupidest person to post on Gamespot. Quite an accomplishment , seeing as how you've got so much promising competition.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Starshine_M2A2

Now you're just trolling. Begone, filth

wis3boi

I'm merely trying to engage in a debate. Hardly trolling. I think you're just frustrated that you've encountered someone who doesn't agree with you. I know it's a shock but don't worry, you'll get over it.

Congratulations on being the stupidest person to post on Gamespot. Quite an accomplishment , seeing as how you've got so much promising competition.L0mak

In other words, you don't have the intellect to grasp what I'm trying to say and so resort to childish namecalling. Notice that it's always those who call others 'stupid' who have the least to say about anything.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'm merely trying to engage in a debate. Hardly trolling. I think you're just frustrated that you've encountered someone who doesn't agree with you. I know it's a shock but don't worry, you'll get over it.

Starshine_M2A2

Debate implies using critical thinking faculties and logic.  You've done neither.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#59 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I had to bite my tongue not to add more fuel to the fire... I would encourage everyone else not to feed him.

In response to the OP- I played it at release and absolutely loved it. The amount of work that has gone into it is astounding, and I can't wait to play the full game. I agree with what a lot of people are saying - it's better than half the $60 shooters on the market.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

wis3boi

Debate implies using critical thinking faculties and logic.  You've done neither.

Then we must agree to disagree.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I had to bite my tongue not to add more fuel to the fire... I would encourage everyone else not to feed him.

In response to the OP- I played it at release and absolutely loved it. The amount of work that has gone into it is astounding, and I can't wait to play the full game. I agree with what a lot of people are saying - it's better than half the $60 shooters on the market.

Brendissimo35

I'd go farther than that. It's better than more than half of the $60 shooters on the market. If it had the Xen levels in place, it'd be GOTY 2012. Hell, it already almost is, imo. 

And to whoever has been debating it in this thread... Mods/remakes are not insults to the original works of art. They're completely optional modifications that don't have to be used by anyone who doesn't want them. An insult to a work of art is when George Lucas remasters the original Star Wars Trilogy with terrible CGI, new music, childish, slapstick style comic relief, altered lines of dialog, and Hayden Christiansen's creepy pedosmile, then refuses to release the original, unaltered films in a digital format, and talks in interviews about how happy he is that the VHS tapes will eventually melt away, and his sh!tty new versions will be the only ones that future generations even know about. THAT is an insult to a work of art. Black Mesa is a tribute a work of art. And the best tribute the people who loved the original could have hoped for. And the makers of Black Mesa weren't encouraged by a community that expressed disregard for the preservation of culture. They were encouraged by a community that expressed disregard for Valve's so-called Half Life: Source. Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't at all what anyone wanted or expected. It was just a port. Not a remake. Black Mesa is a remake, and probably the best remake in the history of video games. I can't imagine Valve could have done it better.

Edit: Just remembered MGS: Twin Snakes. THAT is the best remake ever. Black Mesa takes an easy second place, though.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="Brendissimo35"]

the_bi99man

I'd go farther than that. It's better than more than half of the $60 shooters on the market. If it had the Xen levels in place, it'd be GOTY 2012. Hell, it already almost is, imo. 

And to whoever has been debating it in this thread... Mods/remakes are not insults to the original works of art. They're completely optional modifications that don't have to be used by anyone who doesn't want them. An insult to a work of art is when George Lucas remasters the original Star Wars Trilogy with terrible CGI, new music, childish, slapstick style comic relief, altered lines of dialog, and Hayden Christiansen's creepy pedosmile, then refuses to release the original, unaltered films in a digital format, and talks in interviews about how happy he is that the VHS tapes will eventually melt away, and his sh!tty new versions will be the only ones that future generations even know about. THAT is an insult to a work of art. Black Mesa is a tribute a work of art. And the best tribute the people who loved the original could have hoped for. And the makers of Black Mesa weren't encouraged by a community that expressed disregard for the preservation of culture. They were encouraged by a community that expressed disregard for Valve's so-called Half Life: Source. Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't at all what anyone wanted or expected. It was just a port. Not a remake. Black Mesa is a remake, and probably the best remake in the history of video games. I can't imagine Valve could have done it better.

Edit: Just remembered MGS: Twin Snakes. THAT is the best remake ever. Black Mesa takes an easy second place, though.

I cant find any remakes for it. link? to twin snakes

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58313 Posts

excellent, amazing, and (dare I say?) worth the wait :P

it is not just a remake, but a re-envisioning

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#64 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Black Mesa is free to downloadStarshine_M2A2
Then it really does benefit absolutely no one.

It benefits the dev team's portfolio. Valve tends to hire modders due to the success of their work.