Bioshock or Mass Effect??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Hey everyone, never really got to chance to play one of these games and I was wondering which one should I buy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

umm, theyre nothing alike...

If you want an RPG (or partly rpg) go Mass Effect

If you want a pretty good well made FPS, go with Bioshock, unless you playied SS2 then you can skip Bioshock all together

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Get both.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Seeing as you can get both for like $10 each at places like Amazon.. Get them both..
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Get them both haven't played bioshock yet but i'd highly recommend mass effect!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Mass effect is much better. to tired to go into why, but if anyone wishes i will, just say.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
Mass Effect has longer replay value, and its one of the best stories i've ever seen in a video game
Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

get both

they're both really good

if you have to choose 1 get kotor or witcher instead =D

MrGaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGaines
Member since 2006 • 333 Posts

YOU MAY LIKE BIOSHOCK WAY BETTER! ive played through the entire story of bioshock 15 times i love the game it is one of my favorites of all time and dont let anyone tell you like ive already seen in some comments that its just another fps because its won many story award and it plays like a rpg without the boringness. MASS EFFECT I PLAYED FOR 5 MINUTES AND QUIT! it just felt weird to me the graphics were crap and it had no story. sure it was a rpg in terms theyd ask you something and youd choose one of 3 things but i didnt know what the hell was going on. and by the way its in the reviews... gamespot gave bioshock editors choice award and mass effect nothing..

dontlookme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dontlookme
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
mass efect, you`ll have a lot of hours of playing and the end is simply magnific
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Mass Effect. There's even another patch coming for the game with possible DLC (not sure if it's free, but the other one was).

jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts

YOU MAY LIKE BIOSHOCK WAY BETTER! ive played through the entire story of bioshock 15 times i love the game it is one of my favorites of all time and dont let anyone tell you like ive already seen in some comments that its just another fps because its won many story award and it plays like a rpg without the boringness. MASS EFFECT I PLAYED FOR 5 MINUTES AND QUIT! it just felt weird to me the graphics were crap and it had no story. sure it was a rpg in terms theyd ask you something and youd choose one of 3 things but i didnt know what the hell was going on. and by the way its in the reviews... gamespot gave bioshock editors choice award and mass effect nothing..

MrGaines

Both Bioshock and Mass Effect received 9.0 scores and editor's choice awards from gamespot...

Anyway, both games were awesome, and deserving of those scores. Mass Effect had a fairly generic sci-fi story but it was presented very well, great characters, lots of personality to them. Probably has better replay value if you want to play through as a evil or good character. I think Mass Effect was a longer game too. I just finished Bioshock last week and it was pretty sweet. Awesome story, awesome art style, nice FPS with RPG elements. It did start to get a bit repetitive towards the end, but then it ended and it was awesome. I can't wait for both sequels. Basically, you can do no wrong with either of those games, and at their current price points, you really owe it to yourself as a gamer to pick up both of them eventually. Which one you decide is up to you. If I were to choose one first, I'd probably choose Mass Effect.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58331 Posts

Thank God Mass Effect is winning by a large margin.

Also, I am proud to be posting on the PC gaming forums. Im sure if this were the 360 forums it would be in favor of Bioshock lol.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

MrGaines
Mass Effect had no story?! Mass Effect is nothing but story. I suppose you might not have discovered that after 5 minutes of play though, and to be fair, I'm with you on the game being pretty uninspiring. I just felt it had crappy side-quests, no replay value and a lot of unnecessary dialogue. The problem is Bioshock wasn't much better IMO; I really wanted it to be System Shock 3 but I just couldn't get into it, no matter how many times I tried. In all honesty, I'd look for another bargain.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

MrGaines

Thenewau, is that you?

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

MrGaines

I can't agree.

Bioshock was an FPS. It had very few RPG elements. The storyline was pretty predictable and the characters dull, flat. They had absolutely no character progression (I guess caused they killed them instantly). The game was too easy as well.

Mass Effect on the other hand did everything Bioshock didn't (in terms of RPG elements). The characters had deep backgrounds and interesting stories to tell. You find out why they act certain ways around other races. You could probably spend several hours just reading the background journal entries.

The combat wasn't quite as good as Bioshock, but it remained interesting since it wasn't repetitive. Enemy types varied. You couldn't approach the same situation against Geth as Archani (spelling, can't remember exact name something with an A). You had to outfit your weapons based on the enemies you were facing. Proton rounds for heavily shielded enemies, Anti-personnel for non-armored, titanium for geth. Or you could slip on some cryogenic ammo and watch the enemies freeze after you shoot them. Rail extensions for the sniper (to increase damage). Stabilizers for the pistol (to help steady aim). I love the animations of the weapons. You pull out the sniper rifle and it morphs into the weapon.

There were so many choices as well. Bioshock 'claims' to have a choice system, but all it really does is determine the ending. Characters in Mass Effect will respond differently based on how you approach them (try to force them or convince them through logic). It's not nearly as flat and predictable as Bioshock. The game also has a much, MUCH higher replay value since you can sport different classes or choose a more sadistic approach to completing your missions. The game is a much, much better RPG than Bioshock.

I'd really only pick up Bioshock if you can't stand a 5-10 minutes of story progression with no combat. The ending sure beats the hell out of bioshock as well.

Mass Effect -> RPG/TPS fan

Bioshock-> FPS fan

doug789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 doug789
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

Mass effect because you have far more choice in the outcome of each conversation etc unlike bioshock's good and evil linear path.

Mass effect because it has RPG elements and pretty solid gunplay aswell

bioshock is good also because of the plasmids and customisable guns etc

get both, but ME first.

darren_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 darren_07
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

I haven't played Bioshock so I'm gonna go with Mass Effect. Really good game, story's brilliant, and has lots of replay value.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I have both, and I'm glad I do. Mass Effect has some replay value and a great storyline. Bioshock is a great shooter with a good story, but it's linear. Play it through about 3 times, and you'll remember which containers you don't have to open. I usually wait about 6 months between games that are linear before playing them again.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I have both also. Liked both but I'm more a RPG guy so I leaned toward Mass Effect. Can't go wrong either way though.

andy_lyall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 andy_lyall
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
If for nothing more than cost effectiveness, get Mass Effect. I loved loved loved Bioshock but I'm still playing Mass Effect and I bought it on release day. Sooo much content and it's heaps of fun. Whoever said they played it for 5 minutes and quit: That's hardly enough to consider the relative merits of a game and the graphics are still great so perhaps you just needed to hit the old options menu and crank up the settings! DLC is free for it too so no worries there and there's more on the horizon.
Gam3Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Gam3Guy
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

MrGaines
I'm sorry but if you only played Mass Effect for 5 minutes then you shouldn't even be in a position to judge the game. Personally I liked Mass Effect more so than Bioshock but I think that's because I went into it expecting a more hardcore fps. I'll have to give it another chance soon.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGaines"]

aliblabla2007

Thenewau, is that you?

oh god no, i hope not. i'm guessing "MrGaines" didn't play ME at all, or went into the game determined to hate it. who in gods name plays a game for 5 minutes and proclaims it without story.

xxscottjonesxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxscottjonesxx
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts
[Get niether get fear 1 or doom 3....]
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Mass Effect. Bioshock was good, but not great, it was highly overrated. The graphics are great, but the shooting is terrible and the plasmids get pretty unimpressive after a while. It's definitely worth playing for the story, but Mass Effect is a much better game.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

Mass Effect. Bioshock was good too, but got a little stale at the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Bioshock and Mass Effect are both great games, and really the only opinons you are going to get is based on personal preference.. Personally I think you can't go wrong with either one.. Get them both, they are both amazing games.. And this is coming from a FPS and RPG fan.. I like alittle of everything.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
ME is better than Bioshock only for the gunplay, Bioshock's was terrible.
neon_dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 neon_dead
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Seriouoslly i do not understand bioshock OR mass effect :?

i brought both together and my major concern was which one to play first. ;)

but i say play mass effect 1st then goto bioshock cause after all that diplomacy and decisions u feel like blowing headshots of anything that moves :twisted:

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

I prefer Mass Effect, its got more things to do and last longer than Bioshock.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Get Mass Effect, I am having so much fun playing it again.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Both are great games, ME has a little more for the money

_7h0m_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _7h0m_
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts

like mrbojangles25 said, I'm proud to post in the pc section, I really enjoyed ME. While I also digged Bioshock... I can't see myself recommending it over Mass Efffffect baby.

bzwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bzwax
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

Bioshock seemed like an interactive movie, taking the role as one of the characters. Movie, game, or not, it was entertaining. The gameplay was a fps, not a rpg. It had character customizaiton, though, though not much like an rpg. When playing Bioshock I felt like I was almost playing Half-life 2 again. There were not vehicles, but the AI was much more realiztic that the lack of AI shown in HL2, and the enemies actually had some character to them, and Bioshock tells a better story. I saw a video review of System Shock 2; I have never played SS2 before. From the video review, though, I can confidently agree that Bioshock was just a remake of it, with only a different setting and a whole lot better graphics. I never played mass effect, so I can't say which is preferrable.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

both if you possibly could, though I picked ME.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

MrGaines
There must be something wrong with one of your computer; Mass Effect has some of the best graphics ever. Unless I've just fallen victim to a troll post...
404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts
Mass Effect is an incredibly mediocre game, failing at being a RPG or a shooter. Bioshock fails in the same way but it's sort of fun, and if you haven't played System Shock 2, the story, characters and presentation is superb.