Biggest Disappointment of '07

This topic is locked from further discussion.

singher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 singher
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

With a heavy heart I have to say UT3.
I had such high expectations. It's UT. It's Epic.
But sadly the reality is it a console game.
Feels nothing like UT2004 or PC.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#102 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

#1 - Hellgate London

#2 - Quake Wars

#3 - Unreal Tournament 3

I would say Bioshock but I never anticipated it considering it always looked mediocre. So instead I'll say Hellgate London. I've had high hopes for the game. It always looked "iffy" but I was hoping the developers knew what they were doing. A runners up is Quake Wars. Quake Wars definitely didn't do it for me. Neither did UT3.

[QUOTE="cperry005"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="cperry005"]Man... I'll say it again optimized or not it doesnt do anything they claimed it would.

They said "crysis runs best on quad cores" oh really? it only uses one core.

They said "crysis will support SLI with a patch by the retail release date. oh really? where is the patch?

It's a 1 CPU and 1 GPU game and thats why it cant be opend up... it's poor.

I'm not saying they wont fix it but untell they do it's my biggest letdown just IMO though.

cperry005

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=558

There is a beta driver.

And how exactly do you know it only uses one core?

And it is a letdown because it won't let you use all the hardware that you bought? How is that a bad thing? You actually want to have to be forced to go out and buy more hardware to play it? What exactly are you running it at because if you are playing at high in DX10 with more than 30fps then you are running it extremely well.

It's a letdown because it doesnt run on the hardware they said it runs best on...

Simple.

I know it only uses one core because when I bring up the performance monitor it is only using 1 core.

Other games can use 2 cores and some can use all 4.

I just get bent out of shape when people say one thing and do the opposite.

You're full of it bro. Stop being such a graphics whore. I max the game on an 8800GTS (except for AA) and it looks amazing.

sigh...

I have a widescreen with a native resolution at 1920 x 1200 lets see your GTS do anything at that res... not gonna happen.

That's your fault, not the game's. Should of thought down the road if that resolution would be worth it.

cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts

Yea it's definately worth it.

Listen, I'll reserve my judgement tell after the patch comes out..

When it comes out I'll give it another go.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#104 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

I'm going with the majority by the looks of it and naming Bioshock for that dubious honor. It's a decent enough game, and I enjoyed it... but it's not even close to as good as SS2 (or just plain SS), and really is also a highly overrated game too. It's got nearly 0 replay value, no multiplayer, and feels dumbed down and easy all around.

On the opposite side, I am highly impressed with Crysis. I thought for the longest time that it would be little more than a tech demo, but after playing it I'm very impressed. If they can clean up some of these bugs with the patches I'll be willing to declare it my personal GOTY.

mmmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mmmd
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

I sort of agree with Bioshock. I loved the story and the environment, but I doubt I will play through it again. Wish I hadn't spent $50 on it.

The greatest disappointment for me was Enemy Territory Quake Wars. I was expecting a fun, fast paced game along the lines of WolfET and Tribes 2 but I got a plodding Battlefield clone. Luckily the beta and demo kept me from purchasing this game. I'll stick with the free and better WolfET...

wehertn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 wehertn
Member since 2003 • 1469 Posts
Et quake wars was really good when it released but the servers got crap as time went on. witcher i was really looking forwardto itthen they said theyd add aadult storyline and all it was was a whole bunch of sex scenes i mean wow get a life have sex in rl not in agame but stangehold takes the cakei mean the demo was badass but final versionwhat a waist of 50 bucks
purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
Bioshock. oh and the fact that I bought a 8800GTS earlier in the year (great card but could of gotten a better deal :( )
sonynhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 sonynhater
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

i'd have to say.... slepping with your mom(huge disapointment!) LOL just J/K

but really, i think its the orange box. let me state my reasons before you report abuse.

Number1. half life 2, episode 1, episode 2 were all dissapointments. everyone always told me half life was the best there is. well, i thought it was boring and way to long for its own good.

Number2. portal also wasnt as good as everyone has siad. i liked it but, it just wasnt thta great

Number3. teamfortress2 could be a really fun game. its just that i cant get into any matches let alone play it with no lag( i own it for xbox)

there are my reasons. tell me i'm wrong!

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Seems like I was missing out on the action. Crysis is poorly optimized period and the visuals didnt even wow me like I've seen the early builds. Hell I was wow more by Elders Scroll Oblivion outdoor environments(mods included) then Crysis outdoor if you kick in the performance. Not to say the game doesnt look good but right now the visuals doesnt cut it for me let alone the audio isnt top notch to titles like Gears or Call of duty 2+4.Maybe when there's hardware that can run Crysis to the beauty most of us dreamabout, but for now welcome to the shelf Crysis(CloaK EngagE).
absinthewfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 absinthewfaust
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts

bioshock- over-hyped dumbed down pile of crap, not to mention the activation fiasco at launch.

hellgate london, aka helldelay london. back in 2004 this game would have been 'the bomb', now it is just a big bomb.

Wolfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111 Wolfitz
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
I have to agree with a previous comment that concerned World in Conflict. I expected this game to blow me away, which it really didn't; that was my biggest dissapointment of 2007-World in Conflict.
mmmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 mmmd
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

Hell I was wow more by Elders Scroll Oblivion outdoor environments(mods included) then Crysis outdoor if you kick in the performance. OoSuperMarioO

Really? Thinking back to Oblivion's launch, I got lower FPS in it than I did with the Crysis demo on the same PC. Haha

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]Hell I was wow more by Elders Scroll Oblivion outdoor environments(mods included) then Crysis outdoor if you kick in the performance. mmmd

Really? Thinking back to Oblivion's launch, I got lower FPS in it than I did with the Crysis demo on the same PC. Haha

There's just so much tweaks for Oblivion for multi-threading processors, textures, ect. THis is something Crysis really needs and I'm just not gonna bother with Crysis till there is some support from either community or the developers.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Seems like I was missing out on the action. Crysis is poorly optimized period and the visuals didnt even wow me like I've seen the early builds. Hell I was wow more by Elders Scroll Oblivion outdoor environments(mods included) then Crysis outdoor if you kick in the performance. Not to say the game doesnt look good but right now the visuals doesnt cut it for me let alone the audio isnt top notch to titles like Gears or Call of duty 2+4.Maybe when there's hardware that can run Crysis to the beauty most of us dreamabout, but for now welcome to the shelf Crysis(CloaK EngagE).OoSuperMarioO

Oblivion outdoors better than Crysis'? Now you're just being silly.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 OoSuperMarioO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CD-mJMB7Lw

TClms5400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TClms5400
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

but really, i think its the orange box. let me state my reasons before you report abuse.

Number1. half life 2, episode 1, episode 2 were all dissapointments. everyone always told me half life was the best there is. well, i thought it was boring and way to long for its own good.

Number2. portal also wasnt as good as everyone has siad. i liked it but, it just wasnt thta great

Number3. teamfortress2 could be a really fun game. its just that i cant get into any matches let alone play it with no lag( i own it for xbox)

sonynhater

i agree i thought hl2 sucked. It wasnt even decent

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
Bioshock, for me. Like others have stated, it's not a bad game by any stretch. It just failed to deliver for me, relative to all the hype it received.
PieCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PieCrusher
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
CoD 4.It felt the same as all the previous game except with a modern setting.
tribe81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 tribe81
Member since 2004 • 491 Posts

crysis without a doubt for it to be called the halo or vista is a big call, i really didnt think much of the game yeah it look great on my new pc but ill never play it again and online is quite boring as not many people have the machines to run it.

on the other hand my game of the yr is bioshock and ive read some people think it was disapointing, so each to there own i guess....

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

bioshock- over-hyped dumbed down pile of crap, not to mention the activation fiasco at launch.

hellgate london, aka helldelay london. back in 2004 this game would have been 'the bomb', now it is just a big bomb.

absinthewfaust

Nice way of putting it:)

The game simply isn't 2007 material.

LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LonerBoner
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts
Call of Duty 4. Granted I wasn't hyped about the game to begin with, I simply played the demo when I had the spare time and decided that it felt cheesy.
NNY42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 NNY42
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
[QUOTE="sonynhater"]

TClms5400

i agree i thought hl2 sucked. It wasnt even decent

LMAO to mom joke, disagree #1, agree #2, N/A #3

But this quote "i agree i thought hl2 sucked. It wasn't even decent" kind of disturbed me:?

Char1es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Char1es
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts

1) bioshock - i had that same sinking feeling as when i played deus ex 2. bloody consoles!

2) hellgate london - i guess i expected more than this game could deliver. I dont know how the hell this got made. It isnt fun at all!

3) disappointed that crysis doesnt run at full settings on my new rig, but i can accept that cos its such an awesome game that will look good for years to come. lol @ the ppl saying it doesnt use multi-cores and lol at the guy who says he can max it out on his GTS. sure buddy!

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#124 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
I'll have to say Bioshock, I played through the game once as the good guy and that was it. I just watched the evil ending on You-Tube and let me just say I'm happy I didn't go through the game a second time for it. I was expecting a bit a more, especially in terms of story since Ken Levine really hyped that up in alot in his interviews and development podcasts.
bl1ndz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 bl1ndz0r
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

Why is that there is always seem to be like this minority of stupid ppl in forums that is against everything that most ppl think is good.. i mean STFU Bioshock was acclaimed by every game magazine and websites there is...

Big disappointment? Hellgate London that was a huge letdown best review it got was like 8.0 it was supposed to be great...

Edit: Now i saw a guy saying Portal, TF2, HL2, Ep1 and ep2 were all huge let downs for him I MEAN WHAT DA FU... if u dont like ANY of those games u just shouldnt be playing ANY GAMES

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

I'm still breathing.

Dammit.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#127 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Why is that there is always seem to be like this minority of stupid ppl in forums that is against everything that most ppl think is good.. i mean STFU Bioshock was acclaimed by every game magazine and websites there is...

Big disappointment? Hellgate London that was a huge letdown best review it got was like 8.0 it was supposed to be great...

Edit: Now i saw a guy saying Portal, TF2, HL2, Ep1 and ep2 were all huge let downs for him I MEAN WHAT DA FU... if u dont like ANY of those games u just shouldnt be playing ANY GAMES

bl1ndz0r

It's called opinions buddy.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#128 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

Personally for me it has to be tabula rasa. I was hoping for a mmo to pull me out of my post WoW slump but apparently from it's mediocore reviews it's getting it is not a game that can defeat WoW's legacy.

Citan76

I agree, it started of good in the beta but it just didn't get any better. I was really hopeing for a game that had something inovative and new but all I saw was just another MMO with a SciFi theme.

Arson06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Arson06
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
Airborne
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

bl1ndz0r

if u see most people don't consider it actually bad like they consider oblivion, but it was still a let down being so much simplified than SS2

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#131 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Being a huge C&C fan, I will definitely have to go with C&C 3. It looks like there will be no redemption in the future for C&C. I will have to go quietly about my way. *Crosses fingers for Universe at War*
mike_bison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 mike_bison
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

For me, the biggest disappointment is Bioshock. Through a combination of high standards (my fault) and sub-par gameplay and storytelling (their fault) it just wasnt what it should have been, especially given the pedigree behind it ("oh em gee, its gonna be like System Shock 2!"). Overhyped, dumbed down for consoles, and lame.

The most disappointing trend I've noticed is video cards and Dx10. First, Dx10 is a scam, there is no secret there...with Halo 2, Shadowrun, and Crysis (very high settings) being able to not only run, but run BETTER, on XP. Add to this the "cutting edge" video cards that were released: first, there was news about Dx10.1 which caused a scare...then nvidia decided to release the 8800GT that has 30+% the performance of the GTS and at the same price. I am happy with my 8800GTS, but its like, come on.

mrbojangles25

yes and yes =D

yupeizuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 yupeizuan
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts
Hellgate london
Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#135 Alwaysrun
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
[QUOTE="Alwaysrun"]

1: Hellgate London: It's painfully obvious its the New Daikatana

2: Kane and Lynch: "And these are the same guys entrusted with doing Deus-ex 3"...I'm afraid.

3: Soldier of Fortune Payback: How to ruin a great franchise in one budget title.

astor47

Kane and lynch developers are IO interactive, the makers of hitman. Deus Ex 3 is not being developed by IO

D'oh my bad astor47 thanks for pointing out my mistake. I needlessly scarred myself there. Actually I'm still scarred because DE3 has so much to live up to no matter who developes it. I pray in a year or two I won't see DE3 even mentioned in a thread like this ;)

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#136 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
Man some people just get too offended when their favorite games are considered disappointments to others. Lighten the **** up!
victory19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 victory19
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
C&C 3, Supreme Commander, NFS PS ......
omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts
Bioshock.... I didn't hyped it or anything but I still got it. I unistalled it when I was in the middle of it.....
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#139 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

Bioshock.... I didn't hyped it or anything but I still got it. I unistalled it when I was in the middle of it.....omerdv

thats all right, you only missed a really easy boss fight (perhaps the easiest of all time). Go watch the two endings on youtube.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

Call of Duty 4. Granted I wasn't hyped about the game to begin with, I simply played the demo when I had the spare time and decided that it felt cheesy.LonerBoner

The demo is easily the worst level in the game. CoD4 on the other hand is my biggest suprise game of the year. Some ofthe missions were just amazing like the C-130 or the Chernobyl sniper mission. Then there is the defensive British mission, where you fight off the Russians with a LMG, then a HMG from a downed helicopter, then as your postion is being overrun you set of the too-close explosive charges,then fight offtheir infantry and armour as they cross across the farm plain. And then in a no-you-didan't moment the helicopter evac comms that he can't pick you up at the top of the hill and that you have to fight your way down the attacking Russians under a giant smoke screen. The single player campaign in that game was just packed with too much awsome.

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts
Hellgate London. crappy game with lots of hype.
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

Being a huge C&C fan, I will definitely have to go with C&C 3. It looks like there will be no redemption in the future for C&C. I will have to go quietly about my way. *Crosses fingers for Universe at War*visceron

starcraft 2 is my new rts hope. uaw has microsoft games for windows live bs.

DennisKumfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#143 DennisKumfi
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
MOH Airborne... super nazis are bo-ho-ring.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#144 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

[QUOTE="visceron"]Being a huge C&C fan, I will definitely have to go with C&C 3. It looks like there will be no redemption in the future for C&C. I will have to go quietly about my way. *Crosses fingers for Universe at War*rock_solid

starcraft 2 is my new rts hope. uaw has microsoft games for windows live bs.

crap

Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
What is the deal with Crysis? I've said this before, and I'm saying it again. Why can't people have a conversation about Crysis with resorting to long dissertations on what hardware they have and how many fraps they're getting? It is do GD annoying. You need a high-end rig to play the game. Everybody knows this. Beyond that, I think people should actually start talking about the GAME and what makes it so fun to play (or not).
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#146 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Europa Universalis III.

Especially after the 1.3 patch.

1) It's nearly impossible to hire a quality advisor as the AI snaps them up a microsecond after they appear on the list.

2) The AI targets you a little too much, even when there's no reason for them to do so.

3) There's nowhere near enough historical feel. Playing as Scotland feels no different than playing Portugal or Japan. Not enough nation-specific historial events.

4) It just feels bland and I find I spend the vast majority of the game with time acceleration set to full, doing nothing but flinging merchants at various trade centres and occasionally sending a colonist off to his death.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts
If games liek Hellgate and Bioshock are the biggest dissapointments this year....i'd say it's been a pretty sweet year!
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#148 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

To be fair, I'll break this down to a game I have played and a game I haven't.

(played) STALKER: Overall I enjoyed the game and it had a couple truely creepy levels. But I was also disappointed in many different ways. The missions were generally lacking. The levels were generally linear under a false open-ended disguise. That entire Pripyat level looked beautiful, but was devoid of gameplay. It rushed you through the entire city without having much time to stop an appreciate the graphics. There were not enough of the unique, interesting mutants (like the psi controller). The real game ending was excellent, but it was too difficult to discover how to play it. Either you stumbled upon it by luck of playing the right sub-mission, or you had to search the internet to find out how to play it. Otherwise you first get one of the really terrible, unsatisfying endings. Finally, this game in no way reflected 6+ years of development effort.

(not played) Jericho: I was totally psyched to play this game when I read the previews and saw pics. Then I played the demo and realized that this may not be the game I was hoping. Then the reviews game and confirmed my suspicion. Shame on Clive Barker for allowing his name put on this game just for the sake of making some extra cash from it.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#149 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Command and Conquer 3
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#150 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Mask of the betrayer (NWN2).

Some will say it is unfair. But the soul-meter is just that bad. It ruins it all.