BF3 some gripes of the gfx

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

explain this to me. Aside from this im noticing alot of other annoying things about BF3's graphics. Overall its a great looking game, but there are somethings that DICE kinda needs to work on that breaks the "wow" factor.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
That doesnt change the fact its still one of the best looking games ive ever seen. I promise you I'm spending more of my time shooting at guys than staring at the sides of random crap.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I honestly don't like BF3's graphics all that much and it's not all that impressive (tons of low resolution textures). The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I honestly don't like BF3's graphics all that much and it's not all that impressive (tons of low resolution textures). The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.Swiftstrike5
And those lens flare, dust particles, are ever so prevalent in the SP campaign. I appreciate the realism, but I don't think I'm ready for THAT much of it. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

yea theres some problems but overall it is really good for a normal dev cycle,

not every game can be in development for a decade like crysis was

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elann2008

yea theres some problems but overall it is really good for a normal dev cycle,

not every game can be in development for a decade like crysis was

tmgwarrior72
Yup. We don't need a Metro 2033 crazy graphics BF3. Optimization and performance is more important. If the graphics were out of this world, Crysis-good, or even better, I think there would be a riot. Imagine all the rigs that wouldn't be able to run it. And the issues and problems that would arise. There has to be a middle ground. Great graphics and good performance.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I honestly don't like BF3's graphics all that much and it's not all that impressive (tons of low resolution textures). The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.Elann2008
And those lens flare, dust particles, are ever so prevalent in the SP campaign. I appreciate the realism, but I don't think I'm ready for THAT much of it. :P

They did make that stuff quite intense. I'm not sure if I should wish it was gone, or accept it as realism.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I honestly don't like BF3's graphics all that much and it's not all that impressive (tons of low resolution textures). The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.C_Rule

They did make that stuff quite intense. I'm not sure if I should wish it was gone, or accept it as realism.

Yeah, you're probably right. We shouldn't expect it not to be there. Games need to change somewhat. The dust particles just got in the way a bit, but it wasn't to the point where I wanted to throw my keyboard at the wall.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I honestly don't like BF3's graphics all that much and it's not all that impressive (tons of low resolution textures). The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.Elann2008

Holy crap. I watched the walkthrough from start to end on youtube and I thought I was the only one getting annoyed by those damn lens flare. It's on almost every single minute of the gameplay that for me it was ridiculous.The game still looked great though.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Every game has graphical flaws, even Crysis, I have pics too.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] And those lens flare, dust particles, are ever so prevalent in the SP campaign. I appreciate the realism, but I don't think I'm ready for THAT much of it. :P

Yeah, you're probably right. We shouldn't expect it not to be there. Games need to change somewhat. The dust particles just got in the way a bit, but it wasn't to the point where I wanted to throw my keyboard at the wall.

I like it, to be honest. Nothing like tracking a jet with your AA cannon, only to lose it as it flies past the sun.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 painguy1

mitu123

ur absolutely correct. but i feel that BF3 is less consistent with its visuals. :?

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
The colours at times look too oversaturated, like someone went crazy in the lighting and colours department and put on crappy colour correction.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I was a bit let down. I still think Crysis looks better :P
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Some people right now can't even get proper looking graphics as I am seeing all over the EVGA msg boards and on BF3 pc boards that people with different video cards are getting black lines on their screen and other stuff happening and it has nothing to do with the cards as their cards are working with every other game out there. I was going to buy a GTX 560 Ti tonight but when I saw all the talk of problems with the 560 Tis and BF3 on EVGA boards that killed that. I also saw people mention that there were problems with cards from all sorts of companies too. This was not just an EVGA problem. Seriously the game has some nice visuals but if you can't play the game without the graphics having anomolies what is the point ? Seriously it seems like EA has screwed the pooch with the PC game and people should just play it on console.

DeViLzzz

It's a problem with the latest Nvidia-drivers. Stop trolling. Also, people should play the console-version of a BF-game?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mitu123

Seriously it seems like EA has screwed the pooch with the PC game and people should just play it on console.

DeViLzzz

How about no?

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

The graphics aren't that good. I'd say Crysis 2 was as good as BF3.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The textures are disappointingly low res in some areas. I swear the textures are higher res in multiplayer though which is bizarre since normally multiplayer modes have reduced graphics to allow for better performance.
K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
The textures are disappointingly low res in some areas. I swear the textures are higher res in multiplayer though which is bizarre since normally multiplayer modes have reduced graphics to allow for better performance.gameguy6700
But, isn't this a good thing? The game is so focused on Multiplayer, I'd damn well prefer to see the better looking graphics in the mode I'll play the most, not just the one I'll go through once.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

The game was just released, so I image that those low-res textures will be fixed in a future patch.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

-Unreal-
If crysis 2 is as good as BF3 then how can you say the graphics aren't that good? lol.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

yeah, and "realism" isnt all that appropriate. Its more like "exagerated realism" lol. Like the devs were walking and looked up at the sun and were like "Hey, that looks cool, lets put it in the game but make 100x BETTER!" and, voila, excessive bloom and lens flare and all that jazz

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

gunmaster55555

If crysis 2 is as good as BF3 then how can you say the graphics aren't that good? lol.

They're being blown out of proportion. Or they were. That's how I can say it. Key word is 'that'.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

painguy1

ur absolutely correct. but i feel that BF3 is less consistent with its visuals. :?

Still looks better than Crysis at it's worst.:D

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Problem is - people are so freaking gaga for the game they wont admit that the graphics have issues that throw the game off. Ive been saying it since the freakin beta. I like the gunplay and all that but something weird is up with those graphics lol. And no, Im not hating...I just get thrown off by the graphics.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

In many ways, BF3 maxed out is as good looking as Crysis when maxed out. I think the character modeling is a bit better, and the overall texture quality is better and more consistent in BF3. And let's not get started about the character animation, because BF3 is light years ahead there too.

Where Crysis excelled and still does was in unique shader implementations like for translucent surfaces and subsurface scattering (like for human skin and plant leaves), as well as environment animation. Not only did the game look good in still shots, but was animated quite proper too at high and very high settings, with many twitching and shaking grasses and leaves, individual palm branches fluttering, and of course that gorgeous 3D water. It just looks so good in motion.

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

i dont get the water in bf3 . i look around me and im like omg this looks so sick then i look at the water and im like noooooooooo. not a really big deal ,but it seemed they put so much time in the graphics and the water looks sorta just bad.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I've already mentioned this before, but the actual average polygon count per screen in BF3 is actually a lot lower than it looks because of the lighting, and if I'm not mistaken, the primary focus of the FB engine in the first place was to create a robust unified lighting system as it still seems to be, and that and content can be developed for it much faster for multiple games and FB 2.0 has more/less succeeded at accomplishing both. I recall quite a few people saying BFBC2 blew away Crysis 1 and Metro 2033 in terms of technical visuals so yes, I suppose some people let their love for the series go a little too far. But then there are small things like seeing dust coming out of sandbags or the drawn out knifing animations that are quite neat, and the lighting system allows for a game that looks easily distinguishable from anything else on the market.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts
I was a bit let down. I still think Crysis looks better :PKHAndAnime
Not vanilla Crysis. BF3 is the best looking game unmodded.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yip BF3 is the best graphical game I've ever seen. Of course there's parts that dip below that comment but the overall package is stunning.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Unreal-

Crysis 2 looks just as good.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mitu123

Crysis 2 looks just as good.

-Unreal-

Only in DX11 it has a chance.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elann2008
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I was a bit let down. I still think Crysis looks better :PMystic-G
Not vanilla Crysis. BF3 is the best looking game unmodded.

I gotta agree with this.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Hrm... then something must be wrong with me, cause I love all those effects, the dust particles, the lighting, lens flares... I don't usually spend my time looking at the textures in detail... I just can't wait to get a second GTX560Ti and i5/i7 CPU to put everything on Ultra :D
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Yip BF3 is the best graphical game I've ever seen. Of course there's parts that dip below that comment but the overall package is stunning.

sailor232
I agree. Even though it's the best game visually overall, I've seen more than my fair share of below the bar textures and terrain in the game that just stick out like a sore thumb. DICE would be doing themselves a great justice if they came out with a optional texture package for PC since there are many people who got some beastly rigs just for this game.
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#40 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I think the game looks amazing. Definitely better looking than Crysis
gedz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 gedz
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

The lens flare, dust particles on eyelids, extreme lighting etc.... it's just overwhelming.Swiftstrike5

This is also my biggest gripe in the game. The dust particles on the eyelids were particularly irritating for me.

Not really gfx related, but the chat window thing is kinda hard to read for me. It's like I have to look at a particular surface to make it clear.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
At least the game runs good.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
Is anyone else with an AMD card getting any issues with the display adapter crashing?
Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Im playing with everything set to ultra and the game looks amazing (it still looks amazing on lowest settings). I cant remember ever seeing any bad textures. I need to go back to crysis to see which I think look better, but at the moment I am thinking BF3. One thing I didnt like is on one mission I was not able to shoot out the headlights of a car to make it easier to see the enimies. Its not a major gripe but it was a bit of a shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I don't think games are striving to look realistic as such. I think they are striving to look like movies. And yes there is a huge difference. If all games looked like real life they wouldn't have their own distinctions and style to the visuals. same reason movies use different lighting etc. you all now know what BF3 visuals look like, whether you like or hate them now everyone knows it has lots of dust and lens flare. So its job done for DICE

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

The only real problem I have is with the color contrast. Sometimes it's tought to pick out players against certain backdrops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

The only real problem I have is with the color contrast. Sometimes it's tought to pick out players against certain backdrops.

magnax1

Or trying to shoot at helicopters with the sun blaring down at you.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Elann2008

magnax1

I also find this to get in the way of my multiplayer experience. I use to be able to spot someone a lot easier in Bad Company 2. In fact, BC2's AA is so much better than BF3's and takes very little performance hit. BF3, with or without MSAA, Post AA still has jaggies all over and it's hard to sight campers especially and other players. I think this hampers the game quite a bit.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 painguy1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

The only real problem I have is with the color contrast. Sometimes it'stought to pick out players against certain backdrops.

Elann2008

I also find this to get in the way of my multiplayer experience. I use to be able to spot someone a lot easier in Bad Company 2. In fact, BC2's AA is so much better than BF3's and takes very little performance hit. BF3, with or without MSAA, Post AA still has jaggies all over and it's hard to sight campers especially and other players. I think this hampers the game quite a bit.

BF3 uses a deferred render which causes AA issues. A practical AA solution for a deferred renderer is out of the question atm.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

The only real problem I have is with the color contrast. Sometimes it'stought to pick out players against certain backdrops.

painguy1

BF3 uses a deferred render which causes AA issues. A practical AA solution for a deferred renderer is out of the question atm.

So basically, it has crappy AA? :( damn