Best MMO besides WOW?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idkwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 idkwow
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think so
IntwoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 IntwoGames
Member since 2004 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Well you and I have very different views on whats fun dont we? so im not wrong, being a fanboy or trolling, and the reason that its so limited in player base is the reason most dont? I like the concept, just thier horrible grind is pointless and incredible boring, use reviews, critic reviews and whatever else points to this aswell. At least Ultima Online being a sandbox had variety and made it fun, not just traveling through empty space mining, killing pirates and the occasional PVP fight.

dos4gw82

If you think those are the only things to do in EVE, you're quite mistaken. There is much to do on your own, but like most MMOs, most of the value can be found playing the game with other people. It doesn't sound like you were in a corp (or at least not a good one), something fairly essensial to having fun in EVE and not being frustrated. It's funny you mentioned sandboxes, because that's exactly what EVE is.

This guy nailed EVe on the head. Eve has so much you can do for fun its not even funny and we get 2 free expansions a year to add to the fun. I tell my corp members all the time that the amount you can is limited by your imagination........I mean somebody on the game started a law firm recently to settle corp disputes......What other game do you find that? The PVP is dangerous and exciting with numerous ships and builds at your disposal. The PVE can either be easy with just running missions or you can take on Sleepers which are able to take on some of the most powerful ships in the game. You have complexes to run which are somewhat like dungeons. Mining, ratting, production, planetary interaction on June 8th, pirating other players, scamming (yes, this is legal on EVE), trading, exploration, high-sec war deccing, faction warfare, mercenary work, 0.0 warfare with giant fleets engaging each other, covert ops that some corps specialize in, stealing, spying............So much to do and you aren't limited by your starting character. If you decide you want to be a miner originally, but you decide you don't like mining then just train the skills for the other thing you want to do unlike other MMOs where you are locked in a specific profession that only does certain things.

Edit:

I forgot the live events that the company has been hosting and is planning on hosting even more, which are basically interact storylines.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"][QUOTE="Birdy09"] Troll? bit of an exaguration, wouldnt be suprized from someone whos a fanboy of a game, so how long have you been playing to get in that position? do tell.Birdy09

about 6 months.... suprised, arent you? you didnt deny that you had never played eve..... and i can see you clearly play WOW. so who is the fanboy spreading misinformation about a game?

No im not suprized at all, 3-6 months to get to that point is the average, before that the game has nothing going for it.... just a tedious waiting game traversing an empty shell. EVE all of a sudden appearing on the TOP mmo list, oh cmon, its the best niche sandbox, but that aint saying much. Only those at the top or that have stuck out the boredom have any sort of enjoyment, that is a general conception.

YOU HAVENT EVEN PLAYED EVE.... how the **** would you know anything about it? stop talking about the game like you know everything about it.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] about 6 months.... suprised, arent you? you didnt deny that you had never played eve..... and i can see you clearly play WOW. so who is the fanboy spreading misinformation about a game?dos4gw82

No im not suprized at all, 3-6 months to get to that point is the average, before that the game has nothing going for it.... just a tedious waiting game traversing an empty shell. EVE all of a sudden appearing on the TOP mmo list, oh cmon, its the best niche sandbox, but that aint saying much. Only those at the top or that have stuck out the boredom have any sort of enjoyment, that is a general conception.

YOU HAVENT EVEN PLAYED EVE.... how the **** would you know anything about it? stop talking about the game like you know everything about it.

So tell me then? instead of being so vague? as to why I'm wrong, and what youve achieved in the 3-6 months playing? When does the combat ever get fun? mass battles? you can say that about any game... only you know, they actually have gameplay that looks remotly interesting MOST of the time not once a friggin month when your lucky enough to organize a corp battle?
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
Yeah WoW is pretty much the only MMO I could recommend. It gets really fun when you get into the high levels.
ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ABRed
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

WoW is fun... but there are no challenge (PVE wise). A new dungeon raid comes out and within MAX. a week, it is already cleared and easy to be beaten. Arena is the only real challenge in WoW. Even there, I was very well geared and some combos were simply unbeatable. What I hated about WoW, is that everyone has the same gear... I mean, you run the same dungeon over and over again and you will finally get the gear everyone has. Same for PVP. Grind Honor and arena points and you'll get the same gear than everyone. WoW is fun, but there's no point. And I'm not talking about dailies...

I would say that AION is pretty hard compared to WoW. If you want the best gear, you have to be either rich or lucky. Someone who is geared like a god, has played A LOT to get it done. You can have a decent game by playing the game oftenly, but you won't be the best by raiding or pvping one night per week (compared to WoW). AION's world pvp is way harder and better than WoW's. Well, AION is a better game to me than WoW.

GW is a very decent game too. I played it a lot. I simply can't w8 for Guild Wars 2. The best thing about GW is either PVP and the active cities. Everyone is trading like crazy (Compared to WoW where all you will trade is money for enchants or something like that). GW is the only Free-to-play that you get more for what you pay. Everyother Free2play MMOs you get what you pay for: nothing. yeah, Runes of Magic seems complete and looks nice, but it is so boring and a copy of every other MMOs. Nothing new in there.

Just BTW, WoW is a good game and I'm not trying to blast it. But I'm identifying its flaws and saying other games that don't have these. Also, GW has nice graphic but AION is probably in the top looking games on the PC. For a MMO, it is pretty damn Stunning.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Birdy09

You seem to know a lot about why people play EvE. Did you poll the playerbase? Or is this just omnicience? Exactly where does this "general conception" (consensus?) come from?

I'm sorry you didn't like the game, but claiming that no one ever has fun playing the first few months of EvE is just a little rediculous. I'll admit that there is a steep learning curve in the game, probably one of the steepest ever found in an MMO, but many people enjoy the challenge. Clearly, you didn't. That's fine, but I don't see how you can make such a broad statement about all players. Perhaps it's just so you won't feel alone in the way you see things (and you'll notice, you're kind of alone here.)

Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

I'm not sure if Dark Age of Camelot has been mentioned yet but here it goes. First of all, I like it much better than WoW and have been playing it years before WoW was born. It's an older MMO but it has stood the test of time. DAoC is mostly a PvP MMO. If you're looking for PvE content thenyou will be disappointed. Would I recommend this game? Well, it's not for everyone. I had two friends play the two week trial with me and they bothdidn't care for it(comming from WoW players). Try the two week trial for yourself is all I can say. DAoC isn't very newb friendly but if you give it some time you might enjoy it.

I won't even bother comparing it to WoW because both games are completely different.

The game plus all of the expansions are free now so if you actually make an account you will just have to pay the monthly fee.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] No im not suprized at all, 3-6 months to get to that point is the average, before that the game has nothing going for it.... just a tedious waiting game traversing an empty shell. EVE all of a sudden appearing on the TOP mmo list, oh cmon, its the best niche sandbox, but that aint saying much. Only those at the top or that have stuck out the boredom have any sort of enjoyment, that is a general conception.

dos4gw82

You seem to know a lot about why people play EvE. Did you poll the playerbase? Or is this just omnicience? Exactly where does this "general conception" (consensus?) come from?

I'm sorry you didn't like the game, but claiming that no one ever has fun playing the first few months of EvE is just a little rediculous. I'll admit that there is a steep learning curve in the game, probably one of the steepest ever found in an MMO, but many people enjoy the challenge. Clearly, you didn't. That's fine, but I don't see how you can make such a broad statement about all players. Perhaps it's just so you won't feel alone in the way you see things (and you'll notice, you're kind of alone here.)

I'm not alone, its constantly limited playerbase, user reviews and allround discusions point to this, hell you can be in rookie chat and see the same thing often. I dont see how click and wait combat is a challenge, the only challenge found in eve is your patience... You seem to miss the point with this, im not saying there is no fun to be had, but anyone can see that there is more work than fun to be had, and that the pyramid scheme of a capatilist game leaving every new player in the dust, yea ok I like players being places that I wont be for ages, unlike World of Warcraft which barely has any kind of ladder anymore. But this game takes it to a whole new level of ridiculous. Fastest Carrer track that isnt mining? oh im sorry I mean Botter Mining which no doubt the majority of miners do and get rewarded for doing nothing. is Piracy? learn the basics, Electronics, Gunnery, Engineering and take a pimped out frigate out to player, only its the least profitable way to do anything, however resembles *some* sort of fun ... when your not wandering around scanning for an hour just to find people. Time to Fun ratio of this game is terrible, its a reality isnt it? saying otherwise is logical just in denial, unless you like watching a ridiculously slow moving ship go through space on 10-30 minute journeys doing nothing?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
EVE online without a doubt has the best online world in a game. By a massive margin. However best game? Hard to tell, many do very different things.
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

The free trial of Star Trek online was Decent not the best, Same with Age of Conan but Personally I loved playing Star Wars: Galaxies although its not the Best, I loved the Star Wars Atmosphere.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] No im not suprized at all, 3-6 months to get to that point is the average, before that the game has nothing going for it.... just a tedious waiting game traversing an empty shell. EVE all of a sudden appearing on the TOP mmo list, oh cmon, its the best niche sandbox, but that aint saying much. Only those at the top or that have stuck out the boredom have any sort of enjoyment, that is a general conception.

Birdy09

So tell me then? instead of being so vague? as to why I'm wrong, and what youve achieved in the 3-6 months playing? When does the combat ever get fun? mass battles? you can say that about any game... only you know, they actually have gameplay that looks remotly interesting MOST of the time not once a friggin month when your lucky enough to organize a corp battle?

so tell me then how you explain the fact that you are acting like an expert on the game when you have NEVER PLAYED IT. no room to talk, you have no idea if the combat is fun or not, if there even ARE mass battles, YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED IT.

and for your edification... every **** day in 0.0 i get in a fight with someone over something. does someone always lose a ship? no.... does someone get royally **** up? yes, almost always. is it ever exciting and or fun? every damn time.

try playing a game before you give advice to others about it. it makes you not look like such a tool.