Best horror game of 2011?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

Lately, I've been really in the mood to play a horror game, but aside from Dead Space 2 I'm having trouble recalling any notable horror games for PC. Is there anything anyone would recommend?

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Amnesia is the game most people mention when it comes to horror games for the PC. Well worth the try if you like getting the crap scared out of you.

drewmatts01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drewmatts01
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I think this is a very horror game Dead Space 2. I really like this game . This is available in single and multilayer model. This is a action and scary game........
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
had u played fatal frame 1,2,3? all was on ps2 versions.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
I think this is a very horror game Dead Space 2. I really like this game . This is available in single and multilayer model. This is a action and scary game........ drewmatts01
had u played fatal frame 1,2,3? all was on ps2 versions.ycdeo
Brilliant replies really, TC mentions DS2 and PC platform... Amnesia The Dark Descent has been crowned by pretty much everyone as the best horror game recently made, and one of the best of all time. The rest are older, but also check out the Penumbra games, they're from the same developer as Amnesia. Doom 3 is a descent horror game, provides lots of jump scares, in the same sense as Dead Space. If you don't mind old games, also have a look at System Shock 2 and Clive Barkers Undying. They are very outdated by now though IMO. Forgot to mention Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's also a few years old by now though, and was multiplat IIRC.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Deadspace 2 is more an action game with horror type enemies.

Try the amnesia demo before you buy, everyone keeps showering that game with praise, but I found the demo extremely dull.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

Try the amnesia demo before you buy, everyone keeps showering that game with praise, but I found the demo extremely dull.

topgunmv

They shower it with praise for the atmosphere it creates and just how terrifying it is.

The gameplay itself isn't all that good.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Arthur96

They shower it with praise for the atmosphere it creates and just how terrifying it is.

The demo wasn't scary either.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Arthur96

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

The demo wasn't scary either.

The demo consisted of the tutorial and water beastie, correct?

Those were the mildest encounters of the entire game.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

People actually find video-games scary? That's not normal..

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Dead Space 2 is more action game with horror elements, but less so then RE4 at least maintaining a good amount of tension without sacrificing action, and vice versa.

But not a lot of big horror games this year. Amnesia was probably my favorite horror game this gen, but it came out in 2009. Oddly, I got it a few month ago but ever since I reached the storage I got too terrified to continue. I'm so used to having some sort of weapon to brandish, some sort of skill to kill enemies with, that the feeling of being utterly helpless AND in a giant dark room full of death and misery is too much for me.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Arthur96

ShimmerMan

I'd love to see you play through Amnesia in the dark with full volume.

And don't feed me the "I already did, wasn't scary", don't want to hear anymore lies today.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShimmerMan

I don't find any video-game scary, including Amnesia.. I mean it's bloody video game. But then again I'm male so I guess that's pretty normal.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts
what about horror games that was released in 2011 ??? are there any ???
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arthur96

I don't find any video-game scary, including Amnesia.. I mean it's bloody video game. But then again I'm male so I guess that's pretty normal.

ShimmerMan

Are you suggesting I'm a female? What does it matter what form of media it is. Horror games are scarier than horror movies.

Being scared isn't shameful mate. It's a rush of adrenaline, and it's very enjoyable to some people.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShimmerMan

Being scared isn't shameful mate. It's a rush of adrenaline, and it's very enjoyable to some people.

Arthur96

Yeah but I still don't find video-games scary or movies for that matter. I guess I'm just made of sterner stuff than you "mate" :).

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Scariest game for me is still Half Life 2 and episodes. Why? because of the head crabs! They freak me out big time, espcially the black ones. One made me jump so much I actually had chest pains.

Amnesia is good but I have had to restart the game twice and it doesnt support cloud so cant be bothered to get back to where I was. I am currently playing Doom 3 and F.E.A.R and although they arnt that scary, they are both excellent games and have a few jumpy moments. Great gun play!

I cant think of any that came out in 2011 i'm afraid, but some of the older games still hold their own and are cheap now. I am also playing Metro 2033 and to be honest I am not enjoying it whats so ever. It did get a little creepy but im not having fun with the actual gameplay.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

To enjoy horror games, movies ect you have to have a open mind. If your a 24/7 motcho man you will not enjoy scary games, then just stick with COD.

Silent hill 2 is awesome scary with the lights out and sound up, Amnesia i just downloaded and gonna give that a go soon, Fear was kinda scary but as long as you have bullet time and 500 rounds it kills the fear no pun intened. Doom 3 is the same as Fear imo, Condemed has it's moments. I'ts really hard to make a good horror game so theres not to many to choose that's worth a damn.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShimmerMan

Matcho Man you said? Nope I'm not into the village people (unlike yourself it seems).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08&ob=av3e

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Travis_Odell

Matcho Man you said? Nope I'm not into the village people (unlike yourself it seems).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08&ob=av3e

ShimmerMan
Think outside the box man, It's ok horror games wont take your man card
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

ShimmerMan
Is there something wrong with you? Getting scared of a game like Amnesia makes you less manly? Where did you get your warped mind?
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShimmerMan

Warped? I think it's normal to NOT get scared of a video game. I think it's abnormal to get scared of a video game...

The word "warped" doesn't even come into it. Unless you're saying someone is "warped" by not becoming afraid of playing Amnesia, which is just a computer game. In which case I will turn the tables, and say nay..you're the one who's warped - NOT I!.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Arthur96

Warped? I think it's normal to NOT get scared of a video game. I think it's abnormal to get scared of a video game...

The word "warped" doesn't even come into it. Unless you're saying someone is "warped" by not becoming afraid of playing Amnesia, which is just a computer game. In which case I will turn the tables, and say nay..you're the one who's warped - NOT I!.

ShimmerMan

You think fear is abnormal?

It's a basic human emotion, regardless of where you experience it.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShimmerMan

Yes It's normal to get this thing they calle "fear' (which I have never expreinced to be hoenst).. But from what I've heared Fear usually occurs in times of life threatening danger. I hardly think sitting down on a chair with your face in a monitor playing a video game constitutes as "life Threatening". Unless of course you're worried about possibly getting Deep Vein Thrombosis, from not moving for tweleve plus hours, in which case I will say the case of fear in that scenario is possibly justified. But easily cured by simply not being a lard ass computer nerd and moving around every once in a while.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Arthur96

Yes It's normal to get this thing they calle "fear' (which I have never expreinced to be hoenst).. But from what I've heared Fear usually occurs in times of life threatening danger. I hardly think sitting down on a chair with your face in a monitor playing a video game constitutes as "life Threatening". Unless of course you're worried about possibly getting Deep Vein Thrombosis, from not moving for tweleve plus hours, in which case I will say the case of fear in that scenario is possibly justified. But easily cured by simply not being a lard ass computer nerd and moving around every once in a while.

ShimmerMan

I take it you've played Amnesia? From start to finish?

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShimmerMan

I take it you've played Amnesia? From start to finish?

Arthur96

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Igui65gY5M

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

ShimmerMan

Ive been in a life threatening situation and the feeling is not comparable. The one you get from playing a scary game or watching a horror film is being scared in a fun way. if youre engrossed in something enough then its only natural to jump if something leaps out of you, or get a bit freaked out my some eerie noise. I feel sorry for you if you cant get caught up in the moment. Its your loss though, no one elses.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShimmerMan

I still enjoy playing games, I just don't get "scared" of playing them like of some you guys.. That's all. No need to take offence as we're all built of different stock. Some of us are just much stronger than others.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arthur96

I still enjoy playing games, I just don't get "scared" of playing them like of some you guys.. That's all. No need to take offence as we're all built of different stock. Some of us are just much stronger than others.

ShimmerMan

You say no offense and then make a blatant assumption like that.

Fear doesn't affect strength, mental or physical, in any way. It's a mere temporary emotion that one experiences during some events.

The fear I experience in Amnesia is temporary, as soon as I stop playing I'm back to normal, no fear whatsoever - I'm not having some mental breakdown.

There are different types of fear, and you have a fear, regardless of what you say. Acting otherwise doesn't make you seem tough, quite on the contrary - it makes you look daft.

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

ShimmerMan

Yeah but I still don't find video-games scary or movies for that matter. I guess I'm just made of sterner stuff than you "mate" :).

From my experience people that don't get scared have no imagination whatsoever.

Congratulations on having no creativity.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SystemsGO

ShimmerMan

I don't really get "Scared" either.. But, with good volume and sound effects I can get "spooked" and jump a little bit, but I think anyone does that, right? I mean.. I wont lose any sleep over a game or movie, or litterally get scared but I will get caught off guard with a sudden loud noise that makes me jump a little bit. I think maybe that's what they're trying to convey?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

ShimmerMan

What ARE you scared of then? commitments? pregnancy?

I mean sure you can be less scared than others and be more wilfully minded but to not be scared even a tiny bit in the dark alone with headphones cranked up? fear is an essential part of life and being human so yes it is kind of abnormal not to be afraid a little by games or movies. Or at least tense. And by saying "some are stronger than others" you make it sound like you're trying to say there are many others like you but here everyone admits to being scared and you just seem like a guy trying to hard to be manly. That's just how you're coming off and that's why people are attacking you

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

seanmcloughlin

What ARE you scared of then? commitments? pregnancy?

I mean sure you can be less scared than others and be more wilfully minded but to not be scared even a tiny bit in the dark alone with headphones cranked up? fear is an essential part of life and being human so yes it is kind of abnormal not to be afraid a little by games or movies. Or at least tense. And by saying "some are stronger than others" you make it sound like you're trying to say there are many others like you but here everyone admits to being scared and you just seem like a guy trying to hard to be manly. That's just how you're coming off and that's why people are attacking you

Also he's an idjit. Super proud of having some sort of brain disorder and/or sociopathy.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

ShimmerMan

First of all, you are implying that people that get scared playing this game are weaker than you. That is a pretty flawed and childish way to argument.

Second, fear isn't about strenght. Even the "strongest" of men will get scared, if not they would be somewhat damaged mentally.

Third, I'm glad Amnesia, FEAR and Dead Space scared me, since that is the point of these games! If not I would feel like Iwasted my money. If i go to a scary movie or play a horror game, i expect to get scared. That's what I'm paying for dammit.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts
  • Dead Space 2
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#36 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

ShimmerMan

I guess the rest of us are females then am I correct?

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

Yeah but I still don't find video-games scary or movies for that matter. I guess I'm just made of sterner stuff than you "mate" .

ShimmerMan

And by badass I mean either a troll or a pubecent boy.

But on topic there really wasn't too many good horror games released in 2011. Amnesia was the only one that actually was scary to me, Dead Space 2 was far to action oriented, it had some jump scares but no actual horror IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

• Dead Space 2

tjricardo089

That's the thing I never found the dead space games scary even a little. But Amnesia freaked me out. Dead space was just more cool gory horror and jump scares. Which to me isn't scary, just adrenaline filled.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Try the demo for Amnesia the Dark Descent ( here ).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

• Dead Space 2

seanmcloughlin

That's the thing I never found the dead space games scary even a little. But Amnesia freaked me out. Dead space was just more cool gory horror and jump scares. Which to me isn't scary, just adrenaline filled.

I think that's the point though. Dead Space 2 is a combination of jump scares, action, gore, and horror. Horror doesn't have to mean you woke up in your bed and you saw a ghost sitting at the foot of your bed. There are many definitions. :) So in that sense, Dead Space 2 really nailed it. But Amnesia was more of a chilling-horror, numb your senses and send you into oblivion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

• Dead Space 2

Elann2008

I think that's the point though. Dead Space 2 is a combination of jump scares, action, gore, and horror. Horror doesn't have to mean you woke up in your bed and you saw a ghost sitting at the foot of your bed. There are many definitions. :) So in that sense, Dead Space 2 really nailed it. But Amnesia was more of a chilling-horror, numb your senses and send you into oblivion.

I agree. I love DS2 a lot. Really fantastic game. And it's great for that type of horror. DS is to the Hostel movies as Amnesia is to the paranormal activity movies. One is more jump and gore and action while the latter is more build up, tension creepy atmosphere kind of horror. Both are good for different things.

I go with Amnesia always over DS2 though because it left more of a horror imprint on me Still love Dead space 2 though. I should buy it again for my PC :)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I agree. I love DS2 a lot. Really fantastic game. And it's great for that type of horror. DS is to the Hostel movies as Amnesia is to the paranormal activity movies. One is more jump and gore and action while the latter is more build up, tension creepy atmosphere kind of horror. Both are good for different things.

I go with Amnesia always over DS2 though because it left more of a horror imprint on me Still love Dead space 2 though. I should buy it again for my PC :)

I gotta agree with you on the horror imprint part. Amnesia is one of the best horror games I've ever played. The most memorable.
AzinAshe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AzinAshe
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts
Dead Space 2 is awesome :)
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

ShimmerMan
Oh just shut the F*ck up. Just because you dont get scared at something that we do, doesnt mean you make the assumption that we are "less manly" than you are. It just simply means we are more scared of it. Get your head out of your ass and stop being so self centered.
Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

This thread wins topic of the year so far... Shimmerman, I love the deep vein thrombosis reference. Indeed scary. Arthur96, the continuous egging on is great.

You two may continue.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SystemsGO

Do you actually killy anything in Amnesia, or just walk around with a lantern?

Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts
I read the post title and felt like joining the conversation, but after reading the comments, I just don't feel like it.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Travis_Odell

Do you actually killy anything in Amnesia, or just walk around with a lantern?

SystemsGO

You run like hell till your thighs chafe.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

ShimmerMan

Which basically means you don't get immersed in games and movies. At least not the ones meant to scare you.