Battlefield 3 - why so many huge updates?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I swear this game has a few gigs of updates every month. I opened origin for the first time in about a month and blam another update which just says "update".

dafuq? No new DLC is out, I have the latest Armoured Kill already.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Yeah, one of the reasons I got put off BF3 honestly. Every week I had to download a gigabytes and wait.... (my internet isn't super speed)
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Some of it is because they do map changes and have to basically redownload the entire map which are quite large. Some early patches included the DLC content.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Why complain about updates/patches that improve the game? I play BF3 all the time and I don't get all these constant updates you're talking about. Once a while, a pretty large patch comes but Origin downloads very fast.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Why complain about updates/patches that improve the game? I play BF3 all the time and I don't get all these constant updates you're talking about. Once a while, a pretty large patch comes but Origin downloads very fast.Elann2008
Not complaining about the patches....just the size sometimes annoys since my download quota is capped and also my speed isn't the greatest.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Why complain about updates/patches that improve the game? I play BF3 all the time and I don't get all these constant updates you're talking about. Once a while, a pretty large patch comes but Origin downloads very fast.FelipeInside
Not complaining about the patches....just the size sometimes annoys since my download quota is capped and also my speed isn't the greatest.

What's your download cap? Can you download off peak? I only pay $60 per month for ADSL2+ with a 200gb cap which I never hit.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]Why complain about updates/patches that improve the game? I play BF3 all the time and I don't get all these constant updates you're talking about. Once a while, a pretty large patch comes but Origin downloads very fast.nutcrackr

What's your download cap? Can you download off peak? I only pay $60 per month for ADSL2+ with a 200gb cap which I never hit.

$60 x month for 150GB, which is more than enough. Speed is 14-16 Mbps down which is also fine. My point was that DICE shouldn't make u redownload the whole thing if possible...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Some of it is because they do map changes and have to basically redownload the entire map which are quite large. Some early patches included the DLC content. nutcrackr

That ^

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Some of it is because they do map changes and have to basically redownload the entire map which are quite large. Some early patches included the DLC content. wis3boi

That ^

They should make a mechanism where if you don't buy the DLC or Expansion you don't have to download them. Don't know if that would be too trick or not.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Some of it is because they do map changes and have to basically redownload the entire map which are quite large. Some early patches included the DLC content. FelipeInside

That ^

They should make a mechanism where if you don't buy the DLC or Expansion you don't have to download them. Don't know if that would be too trick or not.

Can't do that. You can take DLC weapons and dogtags, etc into regular servers, you'd see people with invisible guns if they didn't have you download the DLC

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

That ^

wis3boi

Can't do that. You can take DLC weapons and dogtags, etc into regular servers, you'd see people with invisible guns if they didn't have you download the DLC

Hmmmm, true. Maybe the maps at least then? Those are the big downloads anyway aren't they?
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Not complaining about the patches....just the size sometimes annoys since my download quota is capped and also my speed isn't the greatest.

$60 x month for 150GB, which is more than enough. Speed is 14-16 Mbps down which is also fine. My point was that DICE shouldn't make u redownload the whole thing if possible...

Those are slow speeds for you? I've got no cap, but I'm stuck at 4Mbps!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"] What's your download cap? Can you download off peak? I only pay $60 per month for ADSL2+ with a 200gb cap which I never hit.

Well, slow as to what the rest of the World has. Third World countries have faster internet than Australia. I used to be stuck at about 4-6Mbps too, then Internode passed me onto their infrastructure and I get max speeds now. I'm not complaining, it's fast.... but too expensive in comparison with other places.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
I don't play BF3 much anymore, but when I do, it's pretty frustrating to be faced with a multi-gigabyte update. Would be nice if expansion downloads were not forced onto people who have not purchased them. Quota isn't an issue, but my 6mbps speed is.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Why complain about updates/patches that improve the game? I play BF3 all the time and I don't get all these constant updates you're talking about. Once a while, a pretty large patch comes but Origin downloads very fast.Elann2008

cosign this, even when I had slow internet I enjoyed getting new updates.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It's probably because of all the content drops and balance tweaking they have to do (since BF3 is a huge game with a lot of little irksome bugs and balance issues that need ironing out), not to mention the upcoming End Game map pack, which I'm very excited for.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
yeah i download them extremely fast and have no problem with the wait but its not improving the game in any way. just saying lol.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] $60 x month for 150GB, which is more than enough. Speed is 14-16 Mbps down which is also fine. My point was that DICE shouldn't make u redownload the whole thing if possible...

Well, slow as to what the rest of the World has. Third World countries have faster internet than Australia. I used to be stuck at about 4-6Mbps too, then Internode passed me onto their infrastructure and I get max speeds now. I'm not complaining, it's fast.... but too expensive in comparison with other places.

Don't worry, Canada also suffers from slower internet speeds.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Updates are good, but why are they always so big?

You don't need a 2GB update to fix a couple of bugs and balance some weapons. I'm sure they could cut things down a bit.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Actually, after when I bought my Premium, I still had to do some downloading for CQ and AK.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] $60 x month for 150GB, which is more than enough. Speed is 14-16 Mbps down which is also fine. My point was that DICE shouldn't make u redownload the whole thing if possible...

I have 12Mbps in America for like 60 dollars a month with no download cap and I download at 2MB/S which means everything about the largest of file sizes are downloaded pretty damn fast...
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="LongZhiZi"] Those are slow speeds for you? I've got no cap, but I'm stuck at 4Mbps!

I have 12Mbps in America for like 60 dollars a month with no download cap and I download at 2MB/S which means everything about the largest of file sizes are downloaded pretty damn fast...

60 dollers? Why is internet so expensive in america? I pay less than that for TV, phone and 60mbps internet
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well, slow as to what the rest of the World has. Third World countries have faster internet than Australia. I used to be stuck at about 4-6Mbps too, then Internode passed me onto their infrastructure and I get max speeds now. I'm not complaining, it's fast.... but too expensive in comparison with other places.

60 dollers? Why is internet so expensive in america? I pay less than that for TV, phone and 60mbps internet

I have comcast, you could get a 100mbps connection for 60 dollars or less but where I live that isn't available. Internet is expensive in America because unlike Europe in which countries are much smaller(Germany is about the size of Montana) the US is huge and internet providers have to cover hundreds of millions of more people. That obviously cost money and the infrastructure is still not there for 100 percent coverage. Oh and Comcast sucks, I only have comcast because there is no bandwith cap and it's the best service available where I live.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
The only "big" updates i had to download with bf3 are when a new DLC was around the corner, I don't know wtf you guys are complaining about...
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Because BF3 had a huge amount of technical problems, add in the content updates and all that jazz that affects the vanilla games. And whelp, you're going to get hefty patching. Personally mine has sitting on updates to download for a long while now.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I take it those who haven't got the game yet are going to spend a long time downloading?

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"] What's your download cap? Can you download off peak? I only pay $60 per month for ADSL2+ with a 200gb cap which I never hit.

Same here, *slow internet high five* And I believe a new DLC pack was just released. I haven't played for a while but I just keep Origin on all the time so it can download the crap it needs whenever it comes up, instead of having to dl 10 gigs suddenly when I do want to play.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Considering how awesome BF3's mp is, I dont mind the huge updates, specially since they improve the quality of the game!!

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I swear this game has a few gigs of updates every month. I opened origin for the first time in about a month and blam another update which just says "update".

dafuq? No new DLC is out, I have the latest Armoured Kill already.

SaltyMeatballs

Aftermath doesn't exist? Interesting ^^