Are you disappointed about Hellgate:London?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts
I've heard some mixed reactions about it....I'm gonna play it in about 30 minutes from now....did you guys liked it or was it disappointed in your opinion?
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

i didn't hype that game, so i'm not too disappointed ...

but the menus and stuff, the kinda boring quests .... i'm not impressed

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omerdv
I just played it...it's pretty much crap....I didn't have high hopes for this one niether, what was so good about it that made it be so great?
Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
I found it boring
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
It looks good so far. I only played it for a little bit though. I'm sure the action will pick up if that's what you guys are worried about.
xooco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xooco
Member since 2007 • 521 Posts

I'm installing right now and I'm already dissapointed at the recommended requirements...

768mb shader model 4 video card -_-

3gb of ram -_-

Vista -_-

wth?

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omerdv

It works fine on high my bro's PC...

It's this rig:

AMD X2 4200+2.2Ghz

geforce 7300 GT 512 Mb

1GB of ram...

I really mean it...it works on high on at least 60 fps...except for model textures on medium and one thing on very high and the rest are on high too...

FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts

Yeah, everything is on high, but it doesn't look very good.. Crap game. Very dissapointed.

xooco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xooco
Member since 2007 • 521 Posts

It's this rig:

AMD X2 4200+2.2Ghz

geforce 7300 GT 512 Mb

1GB of ram...

I really mean it...it works on high on at least 60 fps...except for model textures on medium and one thing on very high and the rest are on high too...

omerdv

Yeah I just came back from the game. With

Pentium D 2.8

Ati x800xl

2gb of ram

It runs on high at very good frame rate. I was pissed because of the recommended settings in the Can you run it? website. The Graphics look cool but nothing amazing. It's like Diablo meets Guild Wars. Seems fun though not worth $10 a month. I'll keep playing it though for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Poor graphics, I got better visuals from Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 on their release.

Clunky controls, poor enviroments.. Really this game looks like a poor guild wars in the future. They should have just came with the same point and click controls Guild wars had.. IMO they are trying to make this look like a FPS so it will appeal to the masses, rather then actually being good..

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
I love it!
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
i thought it was crap. its like playing a free game or a mod
jonthebig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 jonthebig
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
I was very dissapointed. When I heard that it was being made by the developers of Diablo, I was really excited. I joined the Beta, and spent about a weekend playing through. The enviornments are bland and repetitive, the monsters are niether scary nor detailed, and each class feels broken. I pre-ordered it but am planning to cancel. What a let down. I was hoping that it would satisfy me until Diablo 3... so much for that.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

I enjoy it a lot. Its rough around the edges, but the core gameplay is fun. The loot and skills are MUCH more interesting than GW, and the overall atmosphere and setting are much more Diablo-ish(duh).

I've just been soloing so far, and I have a guardian and evoker character. The game plays completely differently for both, and I think thats pretty neat.

And any game that has a quest to find Wart's peg leg and a quest giver named McKenzie who says things like Beauty! and hoser is bloody awesome. I will be buying this on Halloween for sure.

Pharanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pharanix
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

I played a bit of the demo last night, and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

I don't know why everyone's so critical of it... graphics don't make a game.There isn't evenanythingwrong with the graphics in the first place.

Diablo 2 was hugely popular, yet the graphics sucked and the gameplay was pretty simple.

Hellgate seems like it has tried to emulate the fast-pacedaddictive gameplay of Diablo, with updated graphics thrown in... and I think it'll succeed.

Oolark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oolark
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
It felt like a lot of grinding. Areas are chocked full of cannon fodder enemies that you endlessly kill for experience, it's just the usual RPG/MMO game.
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

The demo is a poor representation of the full game. It starts out just like Diablo2: sparsely populated easy targets.

People who are complaining about the graphics as a reason it is crap... you are what is wrong with the gaming industry. Go stare at a shiney rock to entertain yourselves.

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I liked the demo. I think it played smoothly, and looked good. Then again most games look good to me. Which is actually and advantage because I don't worry about graphics.
zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I was disappointed. It felt out dated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814

The demo is a poor representation of the full game. It starts out just like Diablo2: sparsely populated easy targets.

People who are complaining about the graphics as a reason it is crap... you are what is wrong with the gaming industry. Go stare at a shiney rock to entertain yourselves.

weirjf

The problem to me is not the graphics it self, but the entire representation.. It looks rushed and seems to have poor devolpment form what I have played.. The graphics just adds more to it.. Now I am not saying that the game has bad graphics, subpar yes.. For instance I think Diablo 2 is more pleasing to the eyes then this game, it was much smoother representation.. In all honestlyt hey should have just made it similar to Diablo 2..

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
I knew it was not going to be good at all from the first gameplay video I saw. It looked clunky and had bad animations. So I had no expectations for this game. I'm guessing 7.0-7.5 from gamespot. Decent.
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

If this game is going to be like the demo then I'm probably disappointed.

I just can't get into it. The graphics are ok, but they look dated and not very interesting. I think that KOTOR looks better than this. Is this Unreal Engine 3?? I can't believe it is the same engine of something as fantastic like Bioshock or even UT3.

The gameplay seems dull. I don't know if it is because the demo represents the beginning of the game, but I don't like it. The NPC characters seem uninteresting. Maybe because of the emotionless speech, or because most of the dialogue are text only. It just doesn't feel right. I hope that I'm wrong and it turns out to be a very exciting game, but I think that it will get a 7.5 score at most.

GreyDarienFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreyDarienFox
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
I think it's a good hack'n'slash'n'slashsomemore for loot adicts, and I personaly liked the game.
bubupriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bubupriest
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts
Very dissapointed
Siven5112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Siven5112
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I don't know what everyone else is talking about but i have been in the alpha/beta for 4 months now and have two characters over level 30. This game is one of the best looking games i have ever played yea i do have everything on extreme settings runing DX10 and the characters models look unbelieveable. Don't judge the game by the demo cause you only get to about lvl 4-5 . I have leveled up many characters and once you get out of the first starting area the game really picks up and the fights get intense . Wait till you get to the first real boss fight it will remind you of fighting the Butcher back in diablo 1 .

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i thought the ui could be improved a lot. playing an rpg, u spend a lot of time looking at the UI
jpkustra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jpkustra
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

I've heard some mixed reactions about it....I'm gonna play it in about 30 minutes from now....did you guys liked it or was it disappointed in your opinion?
omerdv

I was logging on at lunch to start a topic like this!

I'm glad I played the beta last night. At least I know I won't be picking this game up. Thanks for saving me $50!

I can't even believe that they are going to ask for a voluntary monthly for this game. Wow...

sa6oo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sa6oo0
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts
As always the "pro" gamers are whinning, because they want a game with Crysis graphics and with Half life 1 required specs and with smarter than human AI. Well you know it's impossible . The game on a mid-range Pc (Ati 2600pro, Amd 5200+ x2 and 1gb) looks really good and as for gameplay it's like most RPG's, but with interesting missions and humorous ones. I think that the demo is very nice and the full game would be awesome.
rzvrazvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rzvrazvan
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
I'm disappointed. :(
Hum_Wha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hum_Wha
Member since 2003 • 123 Posts
If your expecting somthing great like diablo you will be sad. Fp perspective dosen't make up for its negatives.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Pc Gamer gave it an 89%. While I agree the graphics look "outdated," you can't have crysis-like graphics and expect it to run well when you have a dozen or more enemies attacking you on the screen. This game supports DX10 as well.

Hellgate's demo is a poor representation of the finished product. You're not going to have all of the exciting content, environments, loot, enemies whatever.

Wait until the game has been out for a couple weeks, see what the developers have planned to add to it and THEN wait and see if it justifies the monthly fee. Paying monthly for it as soon as it's released does not seem like a smart move to me.

I didn't participate all that much in the beta, but I won't say I was disappointed with it. I hate being limited as far as content, I enjoy playing the finished product. I will be picking up this game, I have been waiting for it for a long time.

And hell, if you don't like it, you can always give Mythos a try. Which is Flagship's OTHER dungeon-runner game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

I thought it was alright. I havent been hyping this one, so I didnt expect much and it didnt prove me wrong.

I think the real strength of the game will be playing online with people. Idunno, the demo is only singleplayer but the whole time I was thinking "man, this would be awesome to play with my friend with VOIP and like five times more zombies to kill"

Plus, the whole random level thing is a nice change, definately gives it an egde over Guild Wars which, imo, has a similiar method of online play (i.e. lobbies, then your own copy of the game world when you leave the lobby/town/station).

I will say this, though...you can definately spot the Diablo influence easily.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814

I don't know what everyone else is talking about but i have been in the alpha/beta for 4 months now and have two characters over level 30. This game is one of the best looking games i have ever played yea i do have everything on extreme settings runing DX10 and the characters models look unbelieveable. Don't judge the game by the demo cause you only get to about lvl 4-5 . I have leveled up many characters and once you get out of the first starting area the game really picks up and the fights get intense . Wait till you get to the first real boss fight it will remind you of fighting the Butcher back in diablo 1 .

Siven5112

Well DX10 must make a big difference because I have everything maxed out on DX9 and the game imo doesn't look as good as say Half-Life 2.. Now yet agian this isn't a make or break thing int he game, but it seemed clunky to me.. IDK I hope it does well and I am completely wrong.. Because I have been hopeing to find a game that will keep me glued to for a long time.. For isntance I loved Diablo 2, its graphics/artwork was unique that really no other game could match..

NerdMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NerdMan
Member since 2002 • 2749 Posts

I was very dissapointed. When I heard that it was being made by the developers of Diablo, I was really excited. I joined the Beta, and spent about a weekend playing through. The enviornments are bland and repetitive, the monsters are niether scary nor detailed, and each class feels broken. I pre-ordered it but am planning to cancel. What a let down. I was hoping that it would satisfy me until Diablo 3... so much for that.jonthebig

That pretty much sums up my experiences with it too. Was hoping Beta really was a crappy old build, but nope, that's Hellgate.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

It's this rig:

AMD X2 4200+2.2Ghz

geforce 7300 GT 512 Mb

1GB of ram...

omerdv

It runs like butter on my rig. see sig for specs.

igor3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 igor3r
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Maybe it completely disappointed me because I rarely play online. I mostly play single player... I loved Diablo 2 and what I am missing the most is actually the atmosphere...Where did that go? Diablo 1 and 2 had complete voice overs, where in Hellgate I have to read through some very uninspiring dialogue... you had great video sequences in Diablo 2 pushing the story onward.... in Hellgate I only saw later on the maps that I already advanced to Act 2 and 3...

The Hellgate Promo videos were great with excellent music... but during the game you only see a book and some totally unkreepy (remember the speaker from Diablo??) voice talking as a cutscene....

Very disappointed!!!!

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
It's a good game but not that great.
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts
the demo sucked hard. the graphics were bad, but the gameplay was HORRIBLE. sluggish controls, kinda sloppy animations and the guns in the demo just werent satisfying at all, not to mention the repetitive level design. the only redeeming factor this game could possibly have is its mp with a group of people slaughtering hordes of demons. even then, its not quite worth $50. Ill probably buy it at $30 or so. by then lots of bugs will be worked out and it will be a much better value.
thewarggoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thewarggoath
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

I wanna know have you even played the game as most of the comments are "this is crap...the graphics are so bad..." with no notes about gameplay, plot, only graphics...I just utterly hate when the graphics make the game...

EDIT: I am going to buy it anytime soon...

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Dont understand why some people gripe about lvl grinds...Most games have lvl grinds duh...Even gh3 has some sort of lvl grind..Jees get over that issue..If you hate lvl grinds your not a gamer...

Any how the game is awesome..It looks great on dx10..If you loved diablo youl love this game..As for the person who said this is a sad diablo clone...Its not its a fresh idea..

Guess every thing now has to be bassed also on crysis..Its not crysis...Wish people would stop judging things also on that game...

The game play does pick up after like lvl 7..Its got a ton of rares tons of drops..Its a great version of a hack an slash, futuristic, Also the great thing is the lvls change every time you play...

Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts

I wanna know have you even played the game as most of the comments are "this is crap...the graphics are so bad..." with no notes about gameplay, plot, only graphics...I just utterly hate when the graphics make the game...

EDIT: I am going to buy it anytime soon...

thewarggoath
it seems you just ignore the gripes about the gmeplay. i dont even care about graphics. there are plenty of other problems
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I don't think it's possible I could be more dissapointed in a game. First the whole aweful p2p for full features, and then with the game itself being completley lackluster.

I'd rather play peggle extreme.

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LuffyTubby
Member since 2006 • 741 Posts

Seeing NWN2, Titan Quest, Fury,Lokiand now HGL become dissapointments, it just makes me appreciate all the better, how awesome and consistent the guild wars franchise has been.

But honestly, I think HGL is pretty cool. The problem is that people compare and expect the first person gameplay, to be as good as real first person shooters. its not. Its not a FPS with RPG elements. Its a RPG with first person view.

GlenQuagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GlenQuagmire
Member since 2003 • 11783 Posts

If it wasn't for the gameplay I'd be cursing myself for spending $40 on this game. I've seriously never played a game in my entire life that has had this many problems. The multiplayer component is an absolute joke right now, but I still play multiplayer only in hopes that patches will come out that fixes the stability problems and the complete lack of communication between players. This game is by no means a revolution or modern classic, but if the game had spent 2 or 3 extra months in development to iron out bugs, fix the UI and online communication issues it could have been worthly of a 7.5 or 8.0 score. In the game's current state, I do not expect it to break a 6.5 here at Gamespot. It's just too buggy and half-baked right now.

In time the game will become the game it was meant to be.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Well i'm enjoying the game. The only problem i've had is the constant memory leak. However if using dx 10 from very high to high will help solve this problem. The problem is that the game was over hyped. Play it for what it is.

Also note that the engine is very moddable for them. They also have tons of tools that will help them add more content. Expect the first major update which allows you to travel outside of London this December.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I like it.
albertafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 albertafox
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts

The first part of the game is tedious and tiresome(lvl 1-15), but as you get to the "millenium battle" it starts to pick up the pace and lots of monsters and fights. Then it slows down again in the story.

I think this may be happing because of the side quests take away from the progression when you need to kill X amount of things and after clearing the area your short a couple kills and need to restart the game.

Found the game itself is to easy at the start. About lvl 20 things get more selective in your equipment because of your stat points vrs equipment requirements. Need to keep your weapon and gear lvls up.

Although I have been playing a Marksman and with such range and powerful weapons barely does anything get close to me. Maybe a melee type would offer more than one/two shot kills from max range.

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts
Yeah. Really dissapointing. Developers gives you so less that they promised.
captalchol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 captalchol
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
I'm not dissapointed I never expected anything from this game. The only people who hyped it were diablo 2 fanboys. The demo was a borefest and the developers needed to make a descision whether this game was an MMORPG or just some online hack and slash and not try to make it a little of both.
murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts
The only people who hyped it were diablo 2 fanboys. .captalchol
Because it comes from diablo2's developers and even themselves say that it will be similiar to diablo.