Are you considered less of a PC gamer...

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

If you use a XBOX 360 controller for your games. I always hearso many of you that swear by the WASD, Space Bar, LShift, LCtrl control scheme. I find games like ME2, The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR much more enjoyable with a controller. Even though Im kind of PC gaming noob so to speak, I still feel like I should be using M/KB instead of controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
not really, one of the main points of PC gaming is freedom to play how you want. That being said you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in multiplayer games that require precision, like shooters.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I don't really care about what other people think of me of how I play my games on PC. I just find the thing that best suits me. Games like Assassin's Creed, I find more favourable for using the controller while for FPS games, its definitely with the MB/K. The PC platform isn't just about it's elitist MB/K, it's about the freedom of calibration which consoles lack, like my good man above said.

Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#4 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
No. Not at all.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

For certain games (racing, action-adventure, etc.) a controller is fine but using one in a FPS? Uhm, no, just no....

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Nope, I am more comfortable with a controller than with the keyboard and mouse. Use whatever is more comfortable for you, it doesn't make you any less of a Pc gamer.
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

If you use a controller for a pure FPS game, then yes, you are less of a PC gamer. This is fact. (I would not consider the new Deus Ex an FPS). Using a controller in other genres is acceptable.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

If there is a time when I use a controller it would be either playing a fighting game or a sport game (MLB as an example) since my keyboard doesn't have N-key rollover ... everything else is M/K ...

P.S. In my opinion less usage of the M/K and more of a controller just makes you look like a console freak sitting infront of a PC ... and that's just lame ... I mean a FPS or a RTS or whatever with a controller ? Really ? That's considered PC gaming ?

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

The whole idea behind PC gaming being better then consle gaming is the freedom you get on what you can do with your PC. Its a fact that using controllers in certain games are better then m/k.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

If you use a controller for a pure FPS game, then yes, you are less of a PC gamer. This is fact. (I would not consider the new Deus Ex an FPS). Using a controller in other genres is acceptable.

Esoteric

Hardly.

Personal Computer, called that for a reason.

It doesn't matter if he some how manages to use an Atari Stick, to play WHATEVER game he wants on his pc... He is still a Gamer, on his PC.

The fact that he is choosing to use what he feels more comfortable in shows that he is more of a gamer, than people who worry about: Oh I got to play this like this, or with this peripherial or other people may look down on me and say things like ^^

Before we get into KB+M is so much better for all these types of games, we know already. I prefer KB+M with shooters, and RTS and of the like, do I think he is less of a "whatever" gamer because he likes his controller, no because I KNOW better.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

Nope your just taking advantage of one of our perks ; being able to use a diversity of controllers.

Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#12 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts

[QUOTE="Esoteric"]

Lach0121

Hardly.

It doesn't matter if he some how manages to use an Atari Stick, to play WHATEVER game he wants on his pc... He is still a Gamer, on his PC.

The fact that he is choosing to use what he feels more comfortable in shows that he is more of a gamer, than people who worry about: Oh I got to play this like this, or with this peripherial or other people may look down on me and say things like ^^

Before we get into KB+M is so much better for all these types of games, we know already. I prefer KB+M with shooters, and RTS and of the like, do I think he is less of a "whatever" gamer because he likes his controller, no because I KNOW better.

I agree. While I do encourage more people to play first person shooters with a mouse and keyboard instead of controller, I don't think they're less of a PC gamer because of it. It's all about personal preferences when it comes to PC gaming, though, typically, mouse and keyboard are the most common. If you believe in limiting the options of a PC, then you're basically destroying what PC is all about. As you said, they call it a personal computer for a reason.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Play how you like, how you enjoy the games, but I can tell you this, people will still give you a "o_0" when you'll insist on playing multiplayer FPSs with a controller ;).
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

[QUOTE="Esoteric"]

Lach0121

Hardly.

The question of the original poster was, "Are you CONSIDERED less of a PC gamer...if you use a controller." If you use a controller for a pure FPS, the majority of PC gamers WILL consider you obtuse (lesser) for doing so. I don't really think there is much disagreement on that, for quite obvious reasons. Now, if you want to argue SHOULD they be considered less, or ARE they less, that's fine, and quite different from the original question.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

No, but I would recommend you get used to the keyboard and mouse if you like online fps games. Otherwise you will be destroyed.

DasBeerBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DasBeerBoot
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts
not really, one of the main points of PC gaming is freedom to play how you want. That being said you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in multiplayer games that require precision, like shooters.ferret-gamer
Strongly Agreed!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="Esoteric"]

Esoteric

Hardly.

The question of the original poster was, "Are you CONSIDERED less of a PC gamer...if you use a controller." If you use a controller for a pure FPS, the majority of PC gamers WILL consider you obtuse (lesser) for doing so. I don't really think there is much disagreement on that, for quite obvious reasons. Now, if you want to argue SHOULD they be considered less, or ARE they less, that's fine, and quite different from the original question.

Lol Touche' Though I wouldn't say Majority, but I would state that a lot would.

I was viewing it more from they shouldn't rather than if they do. It is a fact that they do, no arguing what truly is fact. Just their Justification in saying such things are skewed.

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

In general, yes to answer your topic. Default controller, especially for shooters, is kb/mouse.

However, PC gaming is all about options and choice. If someone wants to play a PC game with a RC car transmitter they can and will.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

You're still playing the best version of games. So no

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
If you use a XBOX 360 controller for your games.ShoTTyMcNaDeS
No - some games, such as DMC 4, are better if you use a 360 controller instead of the keyboard.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
The only games for me that are better with a controller are arcade games, fighting games , action games in general. So anything that doesn't require mouse look o an overview. So basically any fps or rts a mouse is just way better (like deus ex or something like dawn of war) and for games like mortal kombat, fifa a controller is a must. Simple
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
HERETIC!!! BURN HIM! LASHINGS! HANG HIM!!!!! On a serious note: Nope. Play your games with whatever you're more comfortable. Ultimately, in competitive situation, it's best to use the equipment that will not handicap you. On an everyday non competitive situation, it's sometimes funny playing an FPS with a gamepad. lol. Oh the horrors and laughter that ensued when playing L4D2 with a gamepad.
bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
not really.....I mean I don't prefer to use the Xbox controller over mouse and keyboard, but it's specific to each player. I don't think any less of a person for using it. I truly think that if playing online on PC with an Xbox controller on an FPS, you're at a disadvantage than people using M/KB.
Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts

Playing PC FPS using a controller? O_o!!!

Is this a joke?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

You aren't less of a PC gamer, however in multiplayer you will get destroyed.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I would consider some one who uses controller for at least RTS less of a PC Gamer. If some one buys a "race car" but always drives it at low speed no matter what conditions, I would not really consider him a "racer" (apologies for the poor choice of words)
harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
I would not think so. I play fifa with my 360 controller! :o
Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts

I would not think so. I play fifa with my 360 controller! :oharshv82
O MY GOD :o

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you use a XBOX 360 controller for your games. I always hearso many of you that swear by the WASD, Space Bar, LShift, LCtrl control scheme. I find games like ME2, The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR much more enjoyable with a controller. Even though Im kind of PC gaming noob so to speak, I still feel like I should be using M/KB instead of controller.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

I use a wired XBox 360 controller for two games: Bioshock and Lara Croft: GoL. I also have a driving wheel and joystick for other games, both of them Logitech.

I've been gaming on computers since the 80's. No one's going to say I'm less of a PC gamer to my face.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
No, but I'd rather have an xbox controller than a crappy mouse. My friend was trying to play tf2 with a mouse with a ball inside... A razer or logitech are way nicer than your standard mouse.
DualRinzlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DualRinzlers
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Not at all. I use the 360 controller for playing things like Assassin's Creed or Prince of Persia on PC. It's simply the right tool for the job.
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Just roll how you wanna roll and don't worry yourself about pc fanbois who'll do anything to justify their $6,77777777 purchase of the newest and bestest gaming pc, you know the one with 9 graphics cards and a cooler system the size of the Eifeltower.

Games like Batman Arkham Asylum are best played with game controllers. There are other examples.

Guess, what? I own an XBox360 which I hook up and play via my pc monitor. OMIGODS, I'm a traitor!

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Not really, eg. who the hell prefer to play racing games with a keyboard + mouse over a controller LOL
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Not at all. I use the 360 controller for playing things like Assassin's Creed or Prince of Persia on PC. It's simply the right tool for the job.DualRinzlers
I agree, those types of games are more fluid with a controller
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
If anything your more of a PC gamer. It shows your willingness to invest in the platform.
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="harshv82"]I would not think so. I play fifa with my 360 controller! :oMehdi-Y

O MY GOD :o

I play Fifa on the 360 8)
No, you aren't less of a PC gamer if you use a controller. I'm playing Trackmania 2 on a PS3 Controller, but I always played the predecessors with the keyboard. I loe it, and still define myself more of a PC gamer, even though I enjoy games from multiple platforms.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
not really, one of the main points of PC gaming is freedom to play how you want. That being said you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in multiplayer games that require precision, like shooters.ferret-gamer
Exactly, that's what PC gaming is all about. FREEDOM! Which reminds me, I gotta pick up a 360 controller.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Each to their own, Heck I've seen one guy play Fallout New Vegas on the computer with his chin.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
As others have stated, play however is more comfortable to you. That is the great thing about PC Gaming, you aren't relegated to a single method of control. Personally I am horrible using controllers for just about anything, thus I prefer Mouse/KB combination for all of my games [I rarely ever play console games, my controller skills are just too horrible and the games get annoying]
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Just roll how you wanna roll and don't worry yourself about pc fanbois who'll do anything to justify their $6,77777777 purchase of the newest and bestest gaming pc, you know the one with 9 graphics cards and a cooler system the size of the Eifeltower.

Games like Batman Arkham Asylum are best played with game controllers. There are other examples.

Guess, what? I own an XBox360 which I hook up and play via my pc monitor. OMIGODS, I'm a traitor!

Ricardo41

I liked the keyboard controls for Arkham Asylum better than the controller ones but racing games are way better with a controller.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

not at all, people have been using gamepads and joysticks on pc since the begining. Some people think pc gaming is all about better graphics, lol its about choice more than anything. want to use a gamepad? Go right ahead!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#42 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Why would anyone care whether you are less of a PC Gamer? They're just games... Who measures this ****?
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Nope. The whole reason I love PC gaming is the freedom and choices that it gives the players. I use a gamepad to play racing games and twin stick shooters, but everything else I use the m/kb (except SP shooters, I generally use my Novint Falcon). By using a gamepad, you are taking more advantage of the perks of PC gaming. I do suggest you use a m/kb setup in MP shooters though. I remember you posting that you are trying to get used to m/kb for FPS games, a good way to do that is by playing the SP aspects of games with m/kb. Choose whatever you want and be happy with it.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I'd never use a controller for a game which requires precise controls like an FPS. However, some games are just flat out better with a controller. Racing games absolutely suck with KB/M controls, especially considering acceleration is touch sensitive a lot of the time which cant be done at all on the keyboard.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Don't think it makes you less of a PC gamer, but, if you're using gamepad for FPS, you're just plain wrong.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

I think you're even more hardcore of a PC gamer if you choose to play certain types of games with a controllers. I don't really play the types of games that you listed (I played a little bit of the first Witcher, and I couldn't really get into it - I found it boring), but I can kind of see how an Xbox controlle would be nice for that and other types of games. Super Meatboy and Devil May Cry come to mind for me as games that are ideally played with an Xbox controllers.

Of course an Xbox controllers doesnt' bode well for FPS games like CoD, but hey, that's not what you're talking about.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

well i'm completely a PC gamer i find m/kb combination very easy n balanced.

it's better than having just 8 ot 10 keys on a controller.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Nope, I use the 360 controller for all those games you listed. Except Witcher 2 :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#49 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I played games using a joystick years before I started using mouse-aim - even before using a mouse.

I would consider you less of a PC gamer if you played PC games less. Yes I would!

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
You cannot join the PC Gamer club if you don't use a keyboard and mouse. Rules are rules.