are you a "pure" pc gamer?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

Just wonder how many people game ONLY on a pc, and why. (or have only a maximum of 1 console)

As for me, i grew up playing a pc so i guess ill never understand the console gaming, though i do have a ps3 for exclusives.

Are you a "pure" pc gamer, and if yes, do you feel like you are missing out not playing on consoles?

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I guess I am.

I started out playing on consoles (with a Sega Mega Drive), but I've been a primarily PC gamer for about 14 years. I do currently own a PlayStation 3, but only really for the exclusives.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Me (have a PS2 rotting away in the basement somewhere). I just can't get the hang of using a controller (especially with shooters).
VoidQuake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VoidQuake
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

I've always had consoles, starting with the very first Nintendo back in the day and kind of stuck to having a console ever since. Right now I have an Xbox 360 next to my PC but I hardly use it. I just have 2 reasons for still having a console, the first being that none of my real life friends are PC gamers so if I want to play with them I'm kind of forced to play on the Xbox, the second being the exclusives.

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

When I was a young kid I would play only computer games like Freddie Fish and Midnight Resque and then moved on to nintendo consoles. Now I'm 22 and the only game I play on PC is Unreal Tournament.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#6 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I've always had at least one console and one handheld. Though, I am finding the Handheld/PC combo more fitting as I gain new responsibilities that I need to take care of when getting older.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I would say so. Have a Wii, but never use it.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I'm too spoiled by the visuals and performance of PC gaming.

Too spoiled by the options in hardware.

Too spoiled by the options in software.

Too spoiled by mods.

Too spoiled by mouse and keyboard and the OPTION of a controller/mouse/joystick, etc.

Too spoiled by the numerous indie games that thrive on PC.

Too spoiled by the large number of genres and gameplay styles that exist on PC.

I'm spoiled rotten by the PC. It would be like giving up filet mignon & lobster for the shishkobob at Bob's shishkobob shack.

Not that I couldn't go for some shishkobob one in a while, but it don't beat what I usually have.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

When I was a young kid I would play only computer games like Freddie Fish and Midnight Resque and then moved on to nintendo consoles. Now I'm 22 and the only game I play on PC is Unreal Tournament.

HeavyMetalKirby

Well thats cool and all but its not what i opend a topic about:lol:

SkyWard20

I also had a Wii but sold it after not touching it for 2 years

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="HeavyMetalKirby"]

Jane_22

Well thats cool and all but its not what i opend a topic about:lol:

Oh yeah sorry. I guess my answer is no lol

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

i am now. i only own my pc and game exclusively on it.

i had every system up to and including ps3 and 360 up until about a year and a half ago. when i bought a house i ended up selling everything, and i mean every last thing, about 600 seperate items, on ebay.

it is perfect that i only have a pc now cause i dont really have time for much else. i will probably never buy myself another console again although i do have a baby boy and chances are in a few years i will be picking up a wii u for him.

SkiTzo05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SkiTzo05
Member since 2002 • 591 Posts

I started out gaming primarily on consoles with the NES, SNES, and PS2. I dabbled in PC gaming during the PS2 days and currently own a wii that i never use so yes I would say that I am a "pure" pc gamer. However, a PS3 is tempting with its excellent exclusives.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Well this gen I'm getting pretty close I have to admit. I grew up playing both on consoles and pc's, but I spent more time playing on consoles as my pc was too weak to play many of the pc games at that time. Currently though the shift in genre's along with how expensive it has gotten has left me just not liking console gaming at all. JRPG's, fighters and Action Adventures (on the 360 at least) don't seem to leave the same imagination I have had for games such as SotC, Metroid, Persona and the old Tekkens. Nintendo selling itself out to gimmicks hasn't helped much either.

I've always had at least one console and one handheld.

Though, I am finding the Handheld/PC combo more fitting as I gain new responsibilities that I need to take care of when getting older.illmatic87

Perhaps this plays a role as well as I do find myself playing a lot on handhelds.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Besides PC, I also play PS and PS2 games.

One day I might play Divinity 2 or M&B Warband,

the next day I might play Castlevania SotN or ICO

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Sorta, I own a ps3, but it's only been on maybe 150hours since I got it... unlike my pc which this new one has been on probably close to 8500 hours, and sc2 alone's been on well over 150hours.
incredible_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 incredible_one
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts

I started gaming on a SNES, then moved to a N64 and then to a PS2. I'd have to say that since the current "next-generation" consoles, I've been a PC gamer and have decided to stay this way because of numerous advantages it gives me.

Although I'm dying to play MGS4 :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
I always had at least one console as a secondary system but this gen,even though I have two consoles(PS3 and Wii),I find myself playing mostly on the PC and very rarely on the consoles.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Basically, yes.

I've had both a 360 and a Wii given to me by friends. I was somewhat interested in the 360 because it has some older style JRPGS. I only managed to play through one game (Lost Odyssey). It was a good game, but it really felt like I was playing something from 1997 (which is what I was going for, but it got old). I also bought Forza Motorsport 3, which is definitely a very good game, but I got bored with it fairly quickly as racing games aren't really my thing. No shooters interested me because I have enough shooters on the PC and I prefer mouse+keyboard. I strongly dislike games like GTA and RDR. I played Assassin's Creed and found it to be mindless, quitting after about 2 hours. I wanted to make use of this free piece of hardware I recieved, but just couldn't find anything I enjoyed.

I gave the Wii to a relative after a similar experience and also because I found the graphics painful to look at. I have to say I didn't really give the Wii a fair shake, the friend who gave it to me had a collection of truly awful games and I probably should have picked up some 1st party ones, which I hear are top notch.

Overall, I greatly prefer the ability to modify my games and my gaming machine to make the best possible experience I can for myself. The PC is also home to more of the types of games I enjoy (mostly RTS, FPS, WRPG).

cloud345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cloud345
Member since 2006 • 1933 Posts

SkyWard20
This is completely off topic, but what is your signature from? And on topic, once i build my computer in two weeks, ill only play that. (I got a ps3 for exclusives, and wii i never play but hey its nintendo, gotta have some mario and link in my life too. :P )
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I only have a PC because my parents never allowed me to have a console. It is weird that they let me built a high-performance PC back in HS, but not own a console. So I am guessing that makes me a "pure" pc gamer. I do see myself eventually owning a next-gen console at least just for certain games that never seem to make to the PC, such as next-gen NHL games.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I mainly play on PC, I have a Wii that collects the dust in my basement and I'm planning on getting a PS3 soon.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Personally I game exclusively on the PC for several reasons. The main reason being I cannot stand joypad controls, I owned a 360 for about a month and absolutely hated the control scheme. Secondly I just love the flexibility of PC gaming you can just do so much more with games on the PC. Finally whilst I don't have a top of the range PC anymore my PC is still vastly better than the console hardware so I don't see the sense in paying hundreds of pounds for a console when my PC already plays games far better. So I guess you could call me a "pure" pc gamer.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While PC is the prefered plattform I play games on, No I'm not a "pure" PC gamer.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I'm a gamer. Doesn't matter what it is, console, PC, board, cards. If I had unlimited funds I'd have all the consoles. As it is I have a 360 and 3 PCs, one for each of the family. I think the word "pure" is elitist. Just sayin'.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Yea, i went from pc to console and back to pc

Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

Yea, i went from pc to console and back to pc

James161324
Care to explain what made you go back from the console to the pc?
Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

I'm mainly a Pc gamer but I also owned every Nintendo console out there except SNES. I really enjoy playing Wii and never stopped playing it. For me having a Pc and a Wii is the perfect balance for gaming. Although recently I have been only playing indie games on Pc like Mount and Blade, Terra, Minecraft.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Nope. As much as I love my PC, I still really like my PS3 and, to a much lesser extent, my 360.

KiLKaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KiLKaras
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts
I grew up playing mainly pc games, then for a while i switched to consoles (PS1, PS2), but i missed the precision mouse and keyboard, especially for shooters so now i play solely on PC. However I may purchase a PSVita in the future.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I have a PC, Wii, DS, and a PS2.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Nope. I play a ton of fighting games lately, and while there's some good stuff on PC, I tend to spend most of my time on my PS3. Hooked up to one of my monitors, so I'm still always kinda attached to my PC...

I think I started off playing a lot of PC games, played a ton of SNES when that came out, some N64.. then went back to PC though I wasn't sure if I ever really "left".

I'm definitely a hybrid gamer, and go between bouts where I play mostly on console and where I play mostly on PC. But it's always a mix.

Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

Yup, only pc, I have never even owned or bought another console.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

We do have a Wii in the house that my wife and I mess around with from time to time but, other than that, I only play on the PC.

Consoles didn't really exist when I was young. Well, okay, there was the Intellivision and Atari but the NES didn't come out until I was a senior in high school (or there about) so there wasn't much of an opportunity to be a console gamer (I did buy an SNES in college).

When I was really young, I had a friend who had a home computer and I would play games at his house (usually very basic RPGs or space sims). Again, home computers were rare and very expensive in the mid to late 70's and the market for games wasn't huge. There was also a computer lab in my high school (early to mid 80's) and, instead of writing programs in BASIC, although we did that too, we would load games onto our floppies and mess around like any dedicated student should.

When I graduated from high school my parents bought an Apple IIe and that's when I really started playing: Pool of Radiance, Wizardry, A Bard's Tale, etc., but the game that really stood out was Wasteland. That game just rocked.

The rest, as the say, is history.

I've been playing on the PC ever since and I have zero interest in ever owning an Xbox or a Playstation or a Whatever-comes-next, unless, of course, my wife eventually wants one and then, for the sake of marital harmony, we do whatever she wants.

flashback01231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flashback01231
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

pretty much pure, i do have a 360 that i occasionally pull out to play but it is generally only with friends and for sports games like nhl, fifa etc.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

No, I play Wii, PS2, and DS also. (Pokemon is amazing) :P

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

The last console I've owned was a PS2, not including handhelds.I like handhelds because it gives me something to do while my mom drags me to my relative's house where they have boring conversations about the past, which I really don't care about. :)

Anyways, I haven't touched the PS2 since I moved. It's packed away and in storage somewhere, so it's pretty safe to assume that it's gone. The only console I have is a N64. No next-gen consoles.

I just can't get the hang of using the controllers, and I don't have an HDTV available for me to play any next-generation consoles on. Besides, I've been gaming on the PC for awhile and I have family members that are more oriented toward that field, as well as friends/associates in the past.

I'm a PC man.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Anyone that is a pure pc gamer is really missing out. PC gamers pride themselves with the best games around. While it is true that they have some of the best, they miss gems like Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, RDR, Monster Hunter, Metroid, and a bevy of other franchises. Probably the best combination would be a PC and a Nintendo system, as Nintendo first party stuff is usually absolute top notch. I couldn't imagine growing up without my Pokemon :P

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

I only game on PC.

Final Fantasy X is the last console game I played...that was I cannot remember how long ago.

reason? I build my rigs and I play games on them.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

No, between my brother and me we have all the current systems. However, I will go there periods where I do more gaming on one system than the others and right now it's PC. When I finally pick up L.A. Noire that will probably change for a bit ;)

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Yep. I only own a PC, and I only game on the PC. Recently I've thought about investing a PS3 for the bluray player and the added bonus of playing games.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I have a 360/ps3, but have been on the pc more than anything else lately.
Blackheart_RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blackheart_RE
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
A pure PC gamer doesn't own consoles, not even to play the console exclusive games.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Last console I owned was a sega megadrive. I only play on my PC.
therancors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 therancors
Member since 2005 • 709 Posts
Never owned a console. so yeah.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

I just got off my PS3 from playing Zombie Apocalypse. So thats a definite hell no.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I'm not pure at all :oops:
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

I own a Wii, but never use it (I do take a controller and Wii Sports Resorts when visiting parents to use theirs!).

I'm a PC gamer. Consoles don't interest me - the tinkering and upgrades are as much as part of why I game on PC as the games themselves.

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

Yes I am. I game only on my PC.

However I do own a PS1 that is gathering dust on the shelve. And occasionally I help my father out on his PS3.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#49 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I have never owned a console and never will, but I will play fighting games, supermario, supersmash, racing games, etc. with buddies.

Darkhell153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Darkhell153
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

I have more than one console but I haven't played a console game in well over 4 years o-o

I don't know really, so many free PC games (MMOs) and many console games tend to migrate over to PC eventually. Plus, the PC versions of these games are often better (for example, Team fortress 2 for xbox vs. Team Fortress 2 for PC...PC wins hands down).