Anyone Use morrowind graphics extender?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

I decided i would reinstall morrowind and start playing it again. I have never used any mods with it, and since this is the like, 6th time I have played it, I wanted to try something new. I have been looking around for the best graphics mods to use (though I havn't looked for any character/monster texture mods) and I came across the Morrowind Graphics extender which makes it look more akin to oblivion. So is this mod any good? Is it easy to use? It uses HDR and bloom (or guassian blurring, not sure which one) and the long distance rendering, so each picture I have seen doesn't have the fog which is something I would still like to have in morrowind (though maybe not as much as vanilla). Is there any way to adjust the fog/draw distance without removing it?

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

I have not used it but I've been reading a lot about it cause I'm thinking of reinstalling morrowind too. So I can try and answer your questions:

-Mod is very good

-it is difficult to use

-there is a way but I forget, use google.

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 0alex0
Member since 2003 • 317 Posts

First of all the Morrowind Graphics Extender simply lets Morrowind use the more advanced features of DX9. It is incredibly easy to use for the basic features, and even the more advanced features are super easy once you play with it for a while. You do not have to use the infinite view distance part of the mod, so you can definitely keep the fog. Have a look at this thread on the official Bethsoft forums, it will tell you all you need to know about the program.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

First of all the Morrowind Graphics Extender simply lets Morrowind use the more advanced features of DX9. It is incredibly easy to use for the basic features, and even the more advanced features are super easy once you play with it for a while. You do not have to use the infinite view distance part of the mod, so you can definitely keep the fog. Have a look at this thread on the official Bethsoft forums, it will tell you all you need to know about the program.

0alex0

Ah thanks. I had a look at the page, also has a foggy weather mod which means I can keep the fog and make it look better. Reading up on how to use the MGE, i should have no problems tweaking it.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

I always use the extender,plus the combined texture pack and better heads/bodies..three simple things which completely change morrowind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

I always use the extender,plus the combined texture pack and better heads/bodies..three simple things which completely change morrowind.

Astaroth2k

I have just been using the graphics extender, and wow, I got to say.... it's freaking impressive. Definitly need to get better bodies and heads though. What texture pack do you use?

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 0alex0

Since texture packs are all about taste I'll go ahead and direct you to this website which shows most of the major texture packs with screenshots and the FPS this person got with each one. It's a bit outdated now but is still a great starting place. Also you can check out this site which will show you step by step how to get Morrowind looking its best. Lastly I will direct you to this thread on the official Bethsoft forums which expands entirely on the last link that I gave you, and it is quite a bit less biased or opinionated. I would follow the second link I gave you first and follow up on it with the last link to get Morrowind looking top notch with all the best graphic enhancing mods.

If you have any other mod questions I will be sure to answer them as best I can.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Since texture packs are all about taste I'll go ahead and direct you to this website which shows most of the major texture packs with screenshots and the FPS this person got with each one. It's a bit outdated now but is still a great starting place. Also you can check out this site which will show you step by step how to get Morrowind looking its best. Lastly I will direct you to this thread on the official Bethsoft forums which expands entirely on the last link that I gave you, and it is quite a bit less biased or opinionated. I would follow the second link I gave you first and follow up on it with the last link to get Morrowind looking top notch with all the best graphic enhancing mods.

If you have any other mod questions I will be sure to answer them as best I can.

0alex0

Thanks heaps. I've got everything working in morrowind now and it rocks. This is kind of off the topic of the MGE and more to do with the game since everyone seems to know there way around morrowind here, is it possible to do both the fighters guild and the thieves guild quests? I know for the fighters guild you can kill the thieves guild leaders but then of course you cant do the thieves guild quests after that, though instead you can kill the fighters guild leader but does this stop you from completing the thives guild quest which requires you to do this?

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 0alex0

I've never actually tried to join both of the guilds, and only just recently had a character that completed the Thieves guild. The UESP tells about a conflict between the two guilds and how to bypass it. The UESP is the number one stop for all things Morrowind, if you ever need help with any quest in the game then be sure to stop by that site as it has detailed information and walkthroughs.