Anyone else not impressed with Witcher 3 graphics?

• 85 results
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I agree, I'm not nearly impressed. I think it's the foliage, it all looks like flat sprites

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I'm actually constantly impressed with how great it looks. Sure it doesn't have the best textures, lighting, etc, but how it all comes together in a world that is so alive is phenomenal. I wasn't really expecting anything graphics wise, I bought this game because of the gameplay (which is fantastic too) but I'm really liking how good the game looks. I'm not maxing the game out (1440p , GTX 970, i7 4770k) and it still looks great. One thing I noticed is that the Nvidia hair option gives me a 10 FPS hit and that seems like a bit too much for what it does. Is that normal?

That's normal

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#54  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@wis3boi said:

I agree, I'm not nearly impressed. I think it's the foliage, it all looks like flat sprites

It really does, then the way it is constantly doing what looks like a side to side dance rather than naturally swaying in the wind just makes it that much worse. I wonder if they meant for the wind to be blowing non-stop. Even Geralt's hair flaps in the wind still when I am indoors lol.

And I never said the game looked bad, I just do not think it looks as great as so many others keep saying it does.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Is there a game in which the foliage is not a planes or sprites?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

if you arent impressed by this:

then i just dunno what to say

The screens look great, don't know what to tell you because the game does not look that great while playing it. Maybe it is the stupid animations where the grass and trees are constantly dancing?

how can it not look that great in game, when those are screenshots taken directly while playing? i do not understand....

Well I'm not f'ing lying dude, those screens look better than anything I see in game. The grass/trees look horrible moving with the wind, that is my only theory here. Did you even take those screens or did you find them somewhere? If you took them what resolution are you playing at? Because I have everything on ultra right now and it doesn't look that good for me in game. I play at 1080p with a Geforce 770 4GB.

Those are promotional screenshots. Game does NOT look like that. I'm playing everything on Ultra and game doesn't look like that screenshot. (I thought I had something wrong with my PC lol....)

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

The screens look great, don't know what to tell you because the game does not look that great while playing it. Maybe it is the stupid animations where the grass and trees are constantly dancing?

how can it not look that great in game, when those are screenshots taken directly while playing? i do not understand....

Well I'm not f'ing lying dude, those screens look better than anything I see in game. The grass/trees look horrible moving with the wind, that is my only theory here. Did you even take those screens or did you find them somewhere? If you took them what resolution are you playing at? Because I have everything on ultra right now and it doesn't look that good for me in game. I play at 1080p with a Geforce 770 4GB.

Those are promotional screenshots. Game does NOT look like that. I'm playing everything on Ultra and game doesn't look like that screenshot. (I thought I had something wrong with my PC lol....)

those are NOT promotional screenshots... they are ingame screenshots taken during gameplay. the game DOES look like that. i dont know what is wrong with your game, but as you can see, mine clearly looks pretty damn good. i play at full Ultra settings @ 1440p/60

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 FelipeInside

@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

those are NOT promotional screenshots... they are ingame screenshots taken during gameplay. the game DOES look like that. i dont know what is wrong with your game, but as you can see, mine clearly looks pretty damn good. i play at full Ultra settings @ 1440p/60

What the hell then? Mine looks like this:

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

What the hell then? Mine looks like this:

im assuming there is a lot of compression in those screenshots.... because if not good LORD im glad im playing in 1440p.

FYI i have noticed twice now that some of my settings have reverted to "Low" when i started the game, for unexplained reasons.... perhaps check that? i dunno man. as you can see, my game looks pretty fantastic.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FelipeInside

@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

im assuming there is a lot of compression in those screenshots.... because if not good LORD im glad im playing in 1440p.

FYI i have noticed twice now that some of my settings have reverted to "Low" when i started the game, for unexplained reasons.... perhaps check that? i dunno man. as you can see, my game looks pretty fantastic.

Those screens were taken with FRAPS, don't know if compressed or not but the game looks like that on my rig basically.

Surely the 1440p vs 1080p can't make that much of a difference?

EDIT: yep, there is definitely a difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraOOCcURNg

I guess this is the first game I've seen where 1440p makes a big difference. Oh well, game still looks great and it's an awesome title.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Pedro
@FelipeInside said:

Those screens were taken with FRAPS, don't know if compressed or not but the game looks like that on my rig basically.

EDIT: yep, there is definitely a difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraOOCcURNg

I guess this is the first game I've seen where 1440p makes a big difference. Oh well, game still looks great and it's an awesome title.

There is a difference but its so minuscule.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

There is a difference but its so minuscule.

So no idea then why my game doesn't look like the screenshots.... :(

Oh well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

Oh well.

Your game looks fine to me. Whats the shortcut for capturing screenshots? Print screen does not work for me.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think you're all crazy. This is definitely one of the best looking games released in quite awhile. The only thing that doesn't look great is the water. It's very flat and barely picks up when it's windy.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

Oh well.

Your game looks fine to me. Whats the shortcut for capturing screenshots? Print screen does not work for me.

I just use FRAPS.

(C'mon NVIDIA, put screenshot function into GeForce Experience already...)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 FelipeInside

@JangoWuzHere said:

I think you're all crazy. This is definitely one of the best looking games released in quite awhile. The only thing that doesn't look great is the water. It's very flat and barely picks up when it's windy.

Most people aren't saying that it looks BAD, they are just saying it was downgraded from the initial footage (which is pretty much fact).

I think the game looks great. I spent a few minutes last night just looking at a swamp (when is a swamp pretty lol....)

What personally I find a bit of a disappointment, apart from the downgrade, is the change in art direction/style. The 2013 footage really brought across that gritty dark feel, and the world even seemed more alive since the NPC count was double. The final game is too colourful for a Witcher game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

I just use FRAPS.

Are you serious? This shit doesn't have a screenshot feature. That explains why I could not find any documentation for capturing a screeny.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

I just use FRAPS.

Are you serious? This shit doesn't have a screenshot feature. That explains why I could not find any documentation for capturing a screeny.

What's funny is that there's a screenshot folder but no key bindings for screenshots, lol.

Probably will be added later. Just use Fraps, does the job for now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:
@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

I just use FRAPS.

What's funny is that there's a screenshot folder but no key bindings for screenshots, lol.

Probably will be added later. Just use Fraps, does the job for now.

Press every key on the Keyboard. LOL. I may actually try it. :|

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FelipeInside

@goodkingmog

@Pedro

LOL, I followed your advice Goodkingmog and it was that.... the textures had returned to LOW (still looks great in low). Everything is now a lot sharper and better.

Thanks

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

Most people aren't saying that it looks BAD, they are just saying it was downgraded from the initial footage (which is pretty much fact).

I think the game looks great. I spent a few minutes last night just looking at a swamp (when is a swamp pretty lol....)

What personally I find a bit of a disappointment, apart from the downgrade, is the change in art direction/style. The 2013 footage really brought across that gritty dark feel, and the world even seemed more alive since the NPC count was double. The final game is too colourful for a Witcher game.

I disagree. TW2 was just as colorful. TW1 was pretty dull, but TW2 definitely had a ton of color, especially in Flotsam. I know you're talking about color, but I'd also like to point out that content wise TW3 seems to be a lot darker than the first 2 games, so it's not like they made it brighter to appeal to different people. As for NPC count, where did you get that number? Double the NPCs would make it extremely annoying to navigate some parts of Novigrad as the city is already packed in certain places as it is.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:
@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@goodkingmog said:
@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:
@vfibsux said:
@goodkingmog said:

Well my new complaint then is it is the first game I have owned where 1080p look like the ghetto version. They could have done MUCH better with it.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

I only know a few people not impressed with The Witcher 3 graphics. Helen Keller and Ray Charles would be two.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pedro

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I disagree. TW2 was just as colorful. TW1 was pretty dull, but TW2 definitely had a ton of color, especially in Flotsam. I know you're talking about color, but I'd also like to point out that content wise TW3 seems to be a lot darker than the first 2 games, so it's not like they made it brighter to appeal to different people. As for NPC count, where did you get that number? Double the NPCs would make it extremely annoying to navigate some parts of Novigrad as the city is already packed in certain places as it is.

I agree with this assertion. Witcher 2 was quite colorful but Witcher 3 while equally colorful has some areas that are far from pleasant and some story branches are significantly darker than anything in Wither 2. Can't say what and where because of potential spoilers.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By vfibsux

@mgools said:

I only know a few people not impressed with The Witcher 3 graphics. Helen Keller and Ray Charles would be two.

Failed attempt at humor seeing as though there are more than 2 people in this very thread not impressed...and the two people you mentioned are dead.

Saying that, Novigrad is absolutely the best looking city I have seen in an rpg. The detail and size of it all is awe inspiring....until I see a tree or grass.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Really bored with all the incessant Witcher 3 graphics talk. Only need to look at a couple seconds of youtube footage to know it looks more than good enough.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts
@wis3boi said:

Right, cuz the whole point of game development is to waste millions of dollars adding mind-numbing amounts of detail to your foliage so some kid can say "Wow, I'm impressed!" and then stop thinking about it 5 minutes later as he settles in to actually play the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pedro

I am still want to know the games that doesn't use planes for grass. Its seems like a weird critique when I have yet to be exposed to an alternative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#79  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The alternative would be something like the Nvidia Hair thing but for leaves and grass, no? Can't even imagine how many gpus I would need to run that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Pedro

@phbz said:

The alternative would be something like the Nvidia Hair thing but for leaves and grass, no? Can't even imagine how many gpus I would need to run that.

I know that TressFX 2.0 was supposed to allow for such a feature but like you said it would be unplayable without multi gpus.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Just another Troll. I've seen a thousand of them. Don't be bait.....don't feed the asshole...

nigeriaforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By nigeriaforlife
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

It just has console written all over it, when withcer 2 was released I could acutally feel like playing a pc game. if youre satisfied with witcher 3s graphics go buy a ps4, you have no reason to be playing on pcs. A few more fps aint worth the price difference.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FelipeInside

@nigeriaforlife said:

It just has console written all over it, when withcer 2 was released I could acutally feel like playing a pc game. if youre satisfied with witcher 3s graphics go buy a ps4, you have no reason to be playing on pcs. A few more fps aint worth the price difference.

The PC version looks better than the PS4 version, and has much better performance, so yes, it's worth the price difference. (PS4 version is more expensive anyways)

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 vfibsux
@FelipeInside said:
@nigeriaforlife said:

The PC version looks better than the PS4 version, and has much better performance, so yes, it's worth the price difference. (PS4 version is more expensive anyways)

Sorry Felipe but comparing apples to apples the PC looks marginally better at most. "Apples" being at 1080p resolution. You dudes with higher rez systems are getting what 1080p on the pc should have been, but it was dumbed down for the consoles.

@Wickerman777 said:

Really bored with all the incessant Witcher 3 graphics talk. Only need to look at a couple seconds of youtube footage to know it looks more than good enough.

So you are here to tell me and other what looks good enough for us? Pretty arrogant dude.

@--Anna-- said:

Just another Troll. I've seen a thousand of them. Don't be bait.....don't feed the asshole...

Ummm, you talking about me?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:
@FelipeInside said:
@nigeriaforlife said:

Sorry Felipe but comparing apples to apples the PC looks marginally better at most. "Apples" being at 1080p resolution. You dudes with higher rez systems are getting what 1080p on the pc should have been, but it was dumbed down for the consoles.

I'm just comparing my version on PC (at 1080p) with a friend's PS4 version, and apart from the framerate (I can't understand how console gamers play at such low framerate sometimes), the game looks a bit better like you said on PC.

Of course it also depends on which TV you run the console version, but my response was that if you have a gaming PC, would be stupid to get the PS4 version.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:
@vfibsux said:
@FelipeInside said:
@nigeriaforlife said:

I'm just comparing my version on PC (at 1080p) with a friend's PS4 version, and apart from the framerate (I can't understand how console gamers play at such low framerate sometimes), the game looks a bit better like you said on PC.

Of course it also depends on which TV you run the console version, but my response was that if you have a gaming PC, would be stupid to get the PS4 version.

Fair enough.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:
@wis3boi said:

Right, cuz the whole point of game development is to waste millions of dollars adding mind-numbing amounts of detail to your foliage so some kid can say "Wow, I'm impressed!" and then stop thinking about it 5 minutes later as he settles in to actually play the game.

who pissed in your cornflakes