5.1 working / not working in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freak_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freak_c
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts
Hi all I have a weird thing happening with my sound.

I have a Gigabyte Motherboard a GA-K8N Ultra-9, actually. Which has an onbourd 8 channel sound card. Recently i got some 5.1 speakers, nothing great just a set of true 5.1 micrlab speakers. Set it up and through the Realtek audio options I set it to 6 speakers and test it, all working perfect. Set it to 5.1 speakers in the windows audio options. Great? No.

Been playing FEAR but only have 2 channels working and no option to set any of the other options in the game menu on. Then last night I insatll HL2 and it picks up that i have 5.1 speakers but while playing the game the sound only comes out the center channel?!?

2 channel works fine. So I download the latest audio drivers from the gigabyte website, and after uninstalling and installing new ones and rebooting its up and running. Load up HL2 and presto the main menu has 5.1 sound great i think, so I load a game. With in 2 seconds a message comes up that says "AL Dissabled." on the right. I can run around in the game and have 5.1 sound but everyone is not moving. WTF?? Now the AI is always off even on 2 channel. And in FEAR still Nothing (Only 2 channel but at least sound)

My question is, WTF? and how do I fix this, I can't get the console in HL2, to maybe enable the ai, Is it a driver issue, should I reinstall the game? Is it my speakers (which I don't think so as they work when testing them in windows)

PS I have checked all cables settings etc. maybe i missed something, thinking of going back to old drivers and 2.1 speakers. ARRRHHH!

All Help appreciated, Thank you.
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32922 Posts
Use a real soundcard, like an Audigy 2.
wurn

Forum Posts