This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Till windows 10. Can't wait. I hate windows 8 compared to 7. Question though. I don't have an SSD yet if I was to download the free windows 10 version on my hard drive would I be able to reinstall it on an SSD once I get one?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

You may not get it on the 29th, they are rolling it out in waves.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jr14

@MuD3: well that sucks lol

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Till windows 10. Can't wait. I hate windows 8 compared to 7. Question though. I don't have an SSD yet if I was to download the free windows 10 version on my hard drive would I be able to reinstall it on an SSD once I get one?

You won't get it in 4 days unless you were part of the Insider program.

Also, get the SSD before you install it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@orcsisgreen said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jr14 said:

You won't get it in 4 days unless you were part of the Insider program.

Also, get the SSD before you install it.

thaaaaaats a bit of an exaggeration. they are rolling it out in waves.... and the waves are extremely large. it is very unlikely only insider program members will be the only ones in the first wave.

The rollout was explained by Microsoft.

Insider Program participants will get the first waves (MSDN subscribers among the first), then the rest who registered.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@Jr14: Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jr14

@urbangamez: ok thank you. Il put it on a usb drive then. Thanks again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Not sure if I am signed up... I got to the last bit "Get Windows 10" and there is no option.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

been running the RTM version for about a week now(insider build 10240) and let me tell you it's still buggy

The locksreen wallpapers still only work when they feel like it and auto updates are annoying as hell and can't be turned off even on the pro version.

Selecting the option "Defer upgrades" which is supposed to disable them for a limited period just doesn't work.So now every time i turn on my PC it has to update something and take all my freaking bandwidth in the process.Not mention the constant writes on the SSD.

I also had 2 instances were all of a sudden the gpu drivers just stopped and the resolution went to 800x600 all of a sudden.It's like WTF was that?

I had some crashes in games too mainly in Akiba's Trip although that game is a piece of shit port so there's that.I am currently locked out of my steam account thanks to pos mobile guard thing so i can't try any other games.

Witcher 3 runs great tho.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Only one im not bothered about for now. I was all over Windows8 then I reinstalled 7 lol. Any way will have to update sooner or later but waiting till I after to.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@orcsisgreen said:
@ShepardCommandr said:

why would you WANT to turn off auto updates? you dont want your OS to be better?

Maybe it's gotten better (I set Windows 7 Update to notify to install so it doesn't auto update), but in my experience Windows update disregards what you're doing. So if, for example, you want to run code over night and Windows decides it's update time, it will cut off your code from running. It's important to keep a computer up to date, but I prefer installing the updates when I'm not running anything important.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@orcsisgreen said:
@ShepardCommandr said:

been running the RTM version for about a week now(insider build 10240) and let me tell you it's still buggy

The locksreen wallpapers still only work when they feel like it and auto updates are annoying as hell and can't be turned off even on the pro version.

Selecting the option "Defer upgrades" which is supposed to disable them for a limited period just doesn't work.So now every time i turn on my PC it has to update something and take all my freaking bandwidth in the process.Not mention the constant writes on the SSD.

I also had 2 instances were all of a sudden the gpu drivers just stopped and the resolution went to 800x600 all of a sudden.It's like WTF was that?

I had some crashes in games too mainly in Akiba's Trip although that game is a piece of shit port so there's that.I am currently locked out of my steam account thanks to pos mobile guard thing so i can't try any other games.

Witcher 3 runs great tho.

why would you WANT to turn off auto updates? you dont want your OS to be better?

shocker... your RTM OS wants to update very frequently... i thought that was the point of an RTM. MS has been very transparent about updates being FORCED in win10. they want to keep a standard environment going forward and that cant happen if people are running 1121321414142351431312 different versions of the OS.

even bigger shocker..... your GPU drivers stopped for a RTM OS with non-official drivers.....

game incompatibility is COMPLETELY normal for a new OS. hence why they have compatibility mode.

If you think 10240 is buggy, you don't want to know what pre 10000 was like.

And why does everyone think that 10240 is RTM? even MS doesn't call it RTM and they never have/will, its an RC version.

GPU drivers from AMD/Nvidia are hard to find, you have to download the W10 drivers from their site, windows update only fetches the W8.1 drivers, and they are weird as hell on W10 for some reason.

If you have/had an Intel GPU, just flip a coin that it'll work, before 10134, they had no native W10 drivers.

As for games, the only game that I have tried that didn't work was Warcraft 1, but that was texture flickering, so a driver issue probably.