2 Questions on gaming laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fablefizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fablefizas
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts

Im going to get the Lenovo y500 ideapad and was wondering a couple of things.

1: it has an hdmi port, does this mean that i can connect it to a tv and be able to enjoy the game with no lag or connectivity issues or is that just for web browsing?

2:i dont think that i am going to like playing pc games with keyboard.i know i can connect a ps3 controller with a certain software . but will i encounter some games that will be i nighmare to configure the buttons to my liking?

I plan to play games like...

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

Arma II Dayz mod

Hawken

Some RTS games like Civilization and starcraft. Thank you

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

1: it has an hdmi port, does this mean that i can connect it to a tv and be able to enjoy the game with no lag or connectivity issues or is that just for web browsing?

2:i dont think that i am going to like playing pc games with keyboard.i know i can connect a ps3 controller with a certain software . but will i encounter some games that will be i nighmare to configure the buttons to my liking?

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

Arma II Dayz mod

Hawken

fablefizas

The RTS Games likely won't work with a Gamepad let alone a PS3 controller. I don't think Dayz or Arma 2 has controller support for that matter but i'm not certain. Yes HDMI means you'll be able to game on your tv lag free. And i'm honestly not sure how hellish it would be configuring buttons on a PS3 controller I use an Xbox gamepad but I can't see it being hard to configure I imagine they include software to make it easier.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

Arma II Dayz mod

Hawken

fablefizas

Never done it but yes the HDMi out should allow you to play on a TV just fine.

Don't know the specs of that laptop so I don't know how well it's going to run everything you listed.

Also

I seriously hope you don't think you're going to play StarCraft with a controller.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

It depends and lag is not something seen over a video link, lag only refers to performance over a network. Everything else depends on which GPU you are getting. If you are getting one with the Geforce you should be able to play fairly well. You should also be able to find software to use to configure your controller to play games though some games just need a keyboard and mouse to play. Not sure if you intend to play any that do need them.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

He can run anything the y500 has sli gtx 650m for those who were wondering what the specs were. HDMI should work flawlessly, just like anything else would except maybe if you are using both the laptops screen and TV. As for controller support most current PC games support controllers and I believe the PS3 can be configured as a 360 controller with the right software, but some PC exclusives, mostly RTS and shooters, do not support controllers.

fablefizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fablefizas

so does starcraft and such just have too many buttons where they wouldnt fir onto a controller ?

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

so does starcraft and such just have too many buttons where they wouldnt fir onto a controller ?

fablefizas
I saw someone play Starcraft 2 with a controller.
fablefizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fablefizas

thanks to all

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="fablefizas"]

Sweetbackhair

I saw someone play Starcraft 2 with a controller.

They wouldnt be fast enough to keep up with anybody else who has decent skill online. RTS needs a mouse. Period.

Take Turn controller would be OK