Windows 8.1 Might have Boot to desktop with Start menu

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

As long as they keep it easy to use, I would be happy to buy it. Start menu and traditional UI are a must.

But no, I'm not moving from Windows 7. There's no reason to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Looky Here

If they do this I might try it again.;)

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Idiots don't see obvious problems with their thinking...idiots can't change.. it"s   beyond them. I know hard to believe but you'll see....but they won't!

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.AlexKidd5000

That would be nice.

I've tried to get invested in Linux, but I couldn't because 70% of programs and games aren't compatible, so I thought screw this and went back to Windows. I do wish all developers would spend an extra time adding Linux support.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.Cyberdot

That would be nice.

I've tried to get invested in Linux, but I couldn't because 70% of programs and games aren't compatible, so I thought screw this and went back to Windows. I do wish all developers would spend an extra time adding Linux support.

Agreed. I started using Linux just a couple weeks ago, and finding it hard to go back. Only the lack of games, and display-driver support keep me from leaving Windows altogether.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Once again Microsoft shows that every other release is basically a beta test for the real deal to come afterwords lol. Never understood why they couldn't just have something like: If: desktop then: Boot into desktop view If: tablet then: Boot into Modern UI For reals.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Reminds me of the whole UAC dilemna change between Vista and 7

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.FelipeInside
What CHOICE do you speak of that Windows doesn't have? I can do anything I want with Windows.

He might mean like different desktop environments. One thing that's nice is even if your desktop environment crashes in Linux, you can still go to the termianl with ctrl + alt + f1-f7 and restart it that way. Windows you have to hard reset. You can also use no desktop environment if you don't want to.

ofc with choice, there are a lot more bugs, tldr gnome, kde, xfce all are bad

Also the source is open so you can go make your own edits to your kernel and compile it. 

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] 

He might mean like different desktop environments. One thing that's nice is even if your desktop environment crashes in Linux, you can still go to the termianl with ctrl + alt + f1-f7 and restart it that way. Windows you have to hard reset. You can also use no desktop environment if you don't want to.

Also the source is open so you can go make your own edits to your kernel and compile it. 

FelipeInside
Yeah, thats what I mean. So far I've been having a stable experience.

So having different desktops is what you call CHOICE? I can do that using Windows Blinds if need be. As for stable, I really can't remember the last time my desktop crashed.... maybe cause it was like 6 years ago??? Windows desktop is stable now, this isn't XP anymore. Programs crash on every OS but the desktop doesn't really.

Don't you have to pay for Windows Blinds? and Start8? I mean with linux, if you want a touchscreen UI, you can, if you want a traditional UI, you can, right out of the box. And I didn't say Windows desktop was unstable, I said so far my Linux desktop has been stable, and bug free. I'm still messing around with it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.AlexKidd5000
What CHOICE do you speak of that Windows doesn't have? I can do anything I want with Windows.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.JigglyWiggly_

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Isn't that like the main thing that makes Windows 8 Windows 8?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] What CHOICE do you speak of that Windows doesn't have? I can do anything I want with Windows.AlexKidd5000

So having different desktops is what you call CHOICE? I can do that using Windows Blinds if need be. As for stable, I really can't remember the last time my desktop crashed.... maybe cause it was like 6 years ago??? Windows desktop is stable now, this isn't XP anymore. Programs crash on every OS but the desktop doesn't really.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] Yeah, thats what I mean. So far I've been having a stable experience.

Don't you have to pay for Windows Blinds? and Start8? I mean with linux, if you want a touchscreen UI, you can, if you want a traditional UI, you can, right out of the box. And I didn't say Windows desktop was unstable, I said so far my Linux desktop has been stable, and bug free. I'm still messing around with it.

No, Jiggs said it was unstable....he must still be on XP. And yes, some programs you have to pay for, others are free. I'm just saying that you can do anything you want on Windows as well... even more if you consider the amount of software available for it.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So having different desktops is what you call CHOICE? I can do that using Windows Blinds if need be. As for stable, I really can't remember the last time my desktop crashed.... maybe cause it was like 6 years ago??? Windows desktop is stable now, this isn't XP anymore. Programs crash on every OS but the desktop doesn't really.

No, Jiggs said it was unstable....he must still be on XP. And yes, some programs you have to pay for, others are free. I'm just saying that you can do anything you want on Windows as well... even more if you consider the amount of software available for it.

True. Windows has sheer volume of software on its side no doubt. And I don't recall Win7 ever crashing on me either in the 3 years I've used it. Linux does alot with very little.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
Thats great, but its really no big deal to boot into Metro then start typing the program you want, then press enter to open it in desktop mode. Its actually easier than the start menu. And if you want to go to the desktop mode, press Windows key-D. Is one stroke really that hard? -- That's not what she said :)
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JigglyWiggly_

i hate assembly men
i just have to get it done with
C crosscompiling so much easier.

also mips is not x86 ;p

x86 is much worse ofc

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So having different desktops is what you call CHOICE? I can do that using Windows Blinds if need be. As for stable, I really can't remember the last time my desktop crashed.... maybe cause it was like 6 years ago??? Windows desktop is stable now, this isn't XP anymore. Programs crash on every OS but the desktop doesn't really.FelipeInside

nah

when I leave mars open for too long my whole gui explodes

but javaolol

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] Don't you have to pay for Windows Blinds? and Start8? I mean with linux, if you want a touchscreen UI, you can, if you want a traditional UI, you can, right out of the box. And I didn't say Windows desktop was unstable, I said so far my Linux desktop has been stable, and bug free. I'm still messing around with it.JigglyWiggly_

nah

when I leave mars open for too long my whole gui explodes

but javaolol

You really need to upgrade that 486....lollololololololol
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Hopfully Linux will get more popular, because Linux offers actual CHOICE.JigglyWiggly_

that depends on the crash, if explorer crashes you can easily open up task manager and restart it or the computer. I don't see the big deal around metro, sure the old start menu did work well but metro isn't that bad once used to it and is probably better for 'dumb' computer users.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] What CHOICE do you speak of that Windows doesn't have? I can do anything I want with Windows.imprezawrx500

that depends on the crash, if explorer crashes you can easily open up task manager and restart it or the computer. I don't see the big deal around metro, sure the old start menu did work well but metro isn't that bad once used to it and is probably better for 'dumb' computer users.

That sometimes works too. But sometimes you have a program that just makes your screen go black, and you have to hope you ctrl + alt + del blindly correctly

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="General_X"]Once again Microsoft shows that every other release is basically a beta test for the real deal to come afterwords lol. Never understood why they couldn't just have something like: If: desktop then: Boot into desktop view If: tablet then: Boot into Modern UI For reals.

Please do not suggest anything that makes sense.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mozuckint

Apparently Paul Thurrott says yes it's true

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
Is this Windows "Blue" a brand new OS or just like a Service Pack for Windows 8?
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mozuckint
Is this Windows "Blue" a brand new OS or just like a Service Pack for Windows 8?FelipeInside
As far as the world knows, it's been described as a service pack.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I had windows XP until 2009 or 2010.  I can deal with windows 7 for a few more years.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imprezawrx500
how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much better
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside
how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much betterimprezawrx500
Vista better than XP? Does not compute...
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AlexKidd5000
how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much betterimprezawrx500
I used XP until Feb 2010.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
I'm still using XP 64 on one of my pcs.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much betterAlexKidd5000
I used XP until Feb 2010.

I'm still using XP 64 on one of my pcs.Travis_Odell
For old PCs that just need to do Internet or Work things, XP is still fine. At my work we still have plenty of PCs on XP. Be aware though that support ends next year for it.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much betterFelipeInside

Have you actually used it? Vista was buggy at launch but it is pretty good now and sure xp works but has many missing features you come to expect.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]how did you put up with that outdated os for so long? Vista is so much betterimprezawrx500

Have you actually used it? Vista was buggy at launch but it is pretty good now and sure xp works but has many missing features you come to expect.

Yeah I've used it, extensively. You are right, it has gotten better with updates but it's still has issues, especially in a networked domain environment. If I had to choose between Vista and XP, I would still go XP.