Wildstar: Sci-Fi MMO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Total Biscuit just did a coverage (part 1 btw) of a new Sci-Fi MMO called Wildstar.

What is it about you say? Well:

Gameplay and coverage from TotalBiscuit: 

Massive amounts of screenshots

The game remind me a lot of WoW (in good ways), and in other ways Guild Wars 2 (ie Combat and dynamic events ect).

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this game, no pay model has been announced but its for sure not Pay to Win.

Thoughts? 

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That game looks suprisingly good. Looks like they took a lot of ideas from Guild Wars 2 and refined them quite a bit yet are mixing in more traditional MMO style stuff.

I may give this a try.

I mean it looks themepark MMO, but that's still a fun way to play MMOs. Most people just hate that setup for a number of reasons but it still seems to be the most popular kind of MMO out there. I think people usually want too much from MMOs. They want some completely open ended sandbox, but in the end only one of those games have really worked at it's still pretty niche.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I dont understand how it looks like a poor mans WoW as the game looks very promising.WiiMan21

Combat doesnt seem to provide good feedback, monsters with their big bad attacks where they scream at you "hey you there, in 2 seconds I am gonna do this attack here so get out of the way so I miss, ok", attempting to appeal to everyone (instead of doing something really well), voice acting (waste of resources) and so far the classes look really uninteresting.

I hope I am wrong though. I want the game to be good. But so far, it looks really mediocre.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad

I used to be interested in this when Tim Cain was aboard. Now, just eww. Eww, eww, eww.

Looks banal in every way, and the gameplay looks very unspectacular, like a poor man's WoW... again.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I tend to go back and forth with this one depending on what video I watch.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WiiMan21

I used to be interested in this when Tim Cain was aboard. Now, just eww. Eww, eww, eww.

Looks banal in every way, and the gameplay looks very unspectacular, like a poor man's WoW... again.

Maroxad
I dont understand how it looks like a poor mans WoW as the game looks very promising.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]I dont understand how it looks like a poor mans WoW as the game looks very promising.Maroxad

My problems with it so far are the

Combat doesnt seem to provide good feedback, monsters with their big bad attacks where they scream at you "hey you there, in 2 seconds I am gonna do this attack here so get out of the way so I miss, ok", meh animations, attempting to appeal to everyone (instead of doing something really well), voice acting (waste of resources) and so far the classes look really uninteresting.

I hope I am wrong though. I want the game to be good. But so far, it looks really mediocre.

Well the lack of animations and indication of enemy's attacks was a major issue in Guild Wars 2. I was actually really happy to see the these indicators. It's going to be very useful in larger fights. 

The game does look a bit broad though, and that no doutbly will mean it will feel less complete until down the road. Voice acting today is kind of important for broad-appeal games and isn't a really large waste of time or resources. They help the game feel more complete. 

Everything else looks like they are trying to make it feel as polished day one as possible. That could be a good thing.

As I said ealier it looks pretty themeparky (that's not a bad thing) and it's playing everything safe. It could be good, depending on how the end game content and raids turn out. The fact they are including player built housing day one and guild fortresses is pretty neat and shows they are trying to do something a bit different with it.

I'm willing to give it a try.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad

For those who want to see the second part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_ggHgbuKs 

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]I dont understand how it looks like a poor mans WoW as the game looks very promising.Wasdie

Combat doesnt seem to provide good feedback, monsters with their big bad attacks where they scream at you "hey you there, in 2 seconds I am gonna do this attack here so get out of the way so I miss, ok", meh animations, attempting to appeal to everyone (instead of doing something really well), voice acting (waste of resources) and so far the classes look really uninteresting.

Well the lack of animations and indication of enemy's attacks was a major issue in Guild Wars 2. I was actually really happy to see the these indicators. It's going to be very useful in larger fights. 

The game does look a bit broad though, and that no doutbly will mean it will feel less complete until down the road. Voice acting today is kind of important for broad-appeal games and isn't a really large waste of time or resources. They help the game feel more complete. 

Everything else looks like they are trying to make it feel as polished day one as possible. That could be a good thing.

As I said ealier it looks pretty themeparky (that's not a bad thing) and it's playing everything safe. It could be good, depending on how the end game content and raids turn out. The fact they are including player built housing day one and guild fortresses is pretty neat and shows they are trying to do something a bit different with it.

Unless my memory is really poor, I recall seeing indicators of attacks in Guild Wars 2 (the big red spots on the floor for 2 seconds or so telling you to get out). I dont mind the cast bars on enemies though, not in the slightest I am happy to see them in Wildstar fact.

Well, I am one of those who prefer non voiced or partial voice acting over full voice acting. Probably for the same reason movies put me to sleep whereas I absolutely love reading books, good ones anyway.

Yeah, they really seem passionate about their product, and the game in general seems to be about what they love about mmos instead of making a game built around the fact that they want to be different for thet sake of being different. Playing it safe should also mean it will be easier to polish, since they should have a good idea already what works and what doesnt work, and what the limitations and strengths of their systems are.

As for Themepark, I am sure you know I am a proponent of the sandbox mmo genre, but I do realize that themeparks are their expertise, and that these guys know how to design a good themepark mmo and not a sandbox mmo. so I dont mind this being a themepark. I just wish it did a bit more to differentiate itself from WoW though. But as I said earlier in this post, playing it safe has its perks as well.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WiiMan21

For those who want to see the second part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_ggHgbuKs 

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

Unless my memory is really poor, I recall seeing indicators of attacks in Guild Wars 2 (the big red spots on the floor for 2 seconds or so telling you to get out). I dont mind the cast bars on enemies though, not in the slightest I am happy to see them in Wildstar fact.

Well, I am one of those who prefer non voiced or partial voice acting over full voice acting. Probably for the same reason movies put me to sleep whereas I absolutely love reading books, good ones anyway.

Yeah, they really seem passionate about their product, and the game in general seems to be about what they love about mmos instead of making a game built around the fact that they want to be different for thet sake of being different. Playing it safe should also mean it will be easier to polish, since they should have a good idea already what works and what doesnt work, and what the limitations and strengths of their systems are.

As for Themepark, I am sure you know I am a proponent of the sandbox mmo genre, but I do realize that themeparks are their expertise, and that these guys know how to design a good themepark mmo and not a sandbox mmo. so I dont mind this being a themepark. I just wish it did a bit more to differentiate itself from WoW though. But as I said earlier in this post, playing it safe has its perks as well.

Pretty much, I completely agree with you, however the voiced NPCs arent straight voices (Like reading the full quest text), its more like WoW where they say a few things and that's it. Its pretty early, the betas haven't even begun yet (to which, most of the refining and changes come from user feedback), and as of now I think it looks very good and their approach to the game is very promising. I don't exactly take the game as a whole though until the game actually releases, I enjoy GW2 A LOT but I agree that the end game is very lacking and it doesn't feel very rewarding.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Looks great. I love how they're bringing back the big raids, and the crisp character control GW2 was lacking (IMO). Really looking forward to it.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WiiMan21
Looks great. I love how they're bringing back the big raids, and the crisp character control GW2 was lacking (IMO). Really looking forward to it. chrisrooR
Yeah every once in awhile an MMO comes out that refines some older mechanics, and this game seems to be one of them.
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

I am personally following this mmo very intensely as I have high hopes for it. Everything I see for this game seems outstanding to me. The productions value are high and the developers behind it are comprised of many top notch mmo veterans. 20/40 man raids, arena, battlegrounds, player housing, guild pvp fortresses, none of this is original to an mmo but I am tired of mmo's wanting to be original and failing the basics. So far this game seems to embrace what it is and they are striving hard to make it the best they can.

Also to note someone earlier who claimed beta has not started, it has actually indeed began as of last week (closed beta). I am eagerly awaiting an invite but have not been so lucky as of yet :(.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WiiMan21

I am personally following this mmo very intensely as I have high hopes for it. Everything I see for this game seems outstanding to me. The productions value are high and the developers behind it are comprised of many top notch mmo veterans. 20/40 man raids, arena, battlegrounds, player housing, guild pvp fortresses, none of this is original to an mmo but I am tired of mmo's wanting to be original and failing the basics. So far this game seems to embrace what it is and they are striving hard to make it the best they can.

Also to note someone earlier who claimed beta has not started, it has actually indeed began as of last week (closed beta). I am eagerly awaiting an invite but have not been so lucky as of yet :(.

trijity
Ahh the beta has started already? I've signed up myself and I was unaware as to a start date. Thanks for letting me know. :P I completely 100% agree, the game looks to be doing a lot of traditional MMO mechanics correctly with some newer mechanics from GW2 which is nice. If they pull this off it could actually be a pretty sweet game.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I tend to go back and forth with this one depending on what video I watch.

BSC14
Same here. I was pretty excited about it when I first saw it a 6 months ago and signed up for the beta. Then lost interest after the first gameplay vids. Interest is back up after the more recent vids and previews. Will have to see how it all falls out. I dig the lore and somewhat like the art style. Focus on non-combat stuff is also a nice change. Hopefully I'll get int the beta and give it a whirl.
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I really like the style of this. I'll for sure be trying it out when it releases.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
With all the the hoops you had to jump through to sign up for the TES:O beta and with the leaked videos making it looks like a catastro-f*** in the making I am really hoping Wildstar turns out good. I played GW2 for about 250 hours before getting bored and for $50 that is a pretty good investment in my book. I just hope it doesn't go too heavy on the ground targeted stuff. I play a Well Necro build in GW2 and that is pushing my multitasking abilities in terms of ground targeted stuff.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
This game looks to borrow the best from Guild Wars 2 and WoW, which has me interested. 40 man raiding and world bosses, dynamic combat with very good-looking animations, plus an aesthetic that definitely resembles WoW (except arguably more "cartoony") but in a sci-fi setting is refreshing. Considering TES:O is looking like a massive, soggy dump, this is definitely the latest MMO to keep an eye on. I don't really mind them coming out and saying they're drawing from WoW. More MMOs need to focus on endgame content.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Looks interesting, the deciding factor for a buy or no buy from me is if it has a monthly fee.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WiiMan21

Looks interesting, the deciding factor for a buy or no buy from me is if it has a monthly fee.

Ballroompirate
Given what your getting in this package, I'd definitely would expect it to have a subscription fee, however with the recent outcome of The Old Republic, there is a possibility that it will be a one time.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Might be P2P so it will be a wait and see for me then, but I became pretty interested in this especially the path system (the explorer path in particular).

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

WiiMan21

Given what your getting in this package, I'd definitely would expect it to have a subscription fee, however with the recent outcome of The Old Republic, there is a possibility that it will be a one time.

I don't mind paying $60 up front for the game or even if it has a cash shop, monthly fees will just ruin a mmo in the long run (unless it's WoW which is sad).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad

Having seen the second TB video and had more time to think I will say that the game is a very big double edged sword.

• The problem I have with WoW clones is that WoW is very hard to dethrone, having been out for 8 years or so.
  • Like the prince said, it looks like they are taking the few things that actually worked with guild wars 2 and taking the best elements of WoW and player housing (I spent too much time an money on my house in EQ2).
  • I still hate voice acting with passion, but having seen the second video it doesnt look overly voice overed which is fine. Partial voice acting is ideal imo.
  • Having seen the other video, the time to get out of the attack dont look too bad, as in, you can still actually get hit by them. This is the problem I have with these prewarned big attacks, they tend to give you way too much time to react. I never had anything against cast bars, they always made sense. Guild Wars 2 is a good example of why not having cast bars doesnt work, because if you go by animation only to determin the attacks that will be used the small characters have an inherant advantage over larger ones.
  • After seeing footage of ESO, this looks a lot better. But it still doesnt interest me all that much yet. Namely, I got burned out on the WoW-esque gameplay quite some time ago.
  • The second video tells me they will use a skill system similar to GW1 and Pokemon, this is a great thing imo.
  • However if it turns out to be like WoW during its glory days, I will be the first man in line.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

For those that might be interested, the recent beta patch notes have been leaked and Carbine decided to make them public.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WiiMan21

For those that might be interested, the recent beta patch notes have been leaked and Carbine decided to make them public.

Wanderer5
Thanks for the info man, that's actually a good amount of fixes which is a good sight that they're keeping the game in the best shape that they can. A lack of patching is a bad sign for a game.
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

This is the first I've heard about this game. The graphics really remind me of WoW, hopefully it turns out good.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

chrisrooR

Thanks for the info man, that's actually a good amount of fixes which is a good sight that they're keeping the game in the best shape that they can. A lack of patching is a bad sign for a game.

I'm calling it now; this game's going to be awesome, but it's probably going to require a monthly fee.

Nothing wrong with that. I would rather it require a monthly fee and have steady content without some BS microtransaction program or cash shop.

F2P always has the issue of the games never feeling complete and Guild Wars has done a pretty poor job of providing stable end game and has one of the worst economies i've ever seen.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

WiiMan21

I'm calling it now; this game's going to be awesome, but it's probably going to require a monthly fee.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="WiiMan21"] Thanks for the info man, that's actually a good amount of fixes which is a good sight that they're keeping the game in the best shape that they can. A lack of patching is a bad sign for a game.Wasdie

Nothing wrong with that. I would rather it require a monthly fee and have steady content without some BS microtransaction program or cash shop.

F2P always has the issue of the games never feeling complete and Guild Wars has done a pretty poor job of providing stable end game and has one of the worst economies i've ever seen.

Oh, I feel the same way. I didn't mean it to sound negative. I have absolutely NO problem paying a monthly fee if a game is worth it.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]I'm calling it now; this game's going to be awesome, but it's probably going to require a monthly fee. chrisrooR

Oh, I feel the same way. I didn't mean it to sound negative. I have absolutely NO problem paying a monthly fee if a game is worth it.

Neither do I. P2P mmos are quite cheap anyway, for the ammount of time you can invest in them without getting bored. The time investment is far, far bigger than the monetary investment in mmos, and I for one would rather have my time invested in a game that is actually worth my time.

As for GW2, the biggest problem with that game was some of the incredibly stupid choices made by the higher ups. Such as this wierd priority of these temporary additions (living story, halloween, christmas and this tribute to old school console gaming) over permanent lasting content. I do not blame the lack of a monthly fee as much as the poorly way arenanet is structured. Man, Arenanet could really use some restructuring.

Overall, though, I do hope this game will have a monthly fee. It should be easier to manage the game that way, maybe with a PLEX-esque system if they want to.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] I'm calling it now; this game's going to be awesome, but it's probably going to require a monthly fee. chrisrooR

True, while F2P MMOs have done great leaps to make themselves a lot more palatable to gamers (a lot less P2W than they were before) but the more worthwhile MMOs are still the subscription model types, like WoW, Rift and Eve Online.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

It doesn't look that bad. But in the end it is still another mmo. There are just too many for companies to really take a chance on the genre.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WiiMan21

It doesn't look that bad. But in the end it is still another mmo. There are just too many for companies to really take a chance on the genre.

Deadpool-n
Better to be safe and make a game you know how to make that take a big chance and make a game that no one knows how to make a fail.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WiiMan21
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] I'm calling it now; this game's going to be awesome, but it's probably going to require a monthly fee. chrisrooR

I 100% agree with this, I was thinking about trying WoW again at some point but at the same time my friends who do play it sound miserable everytime they do play it or mention it. I am giving Rift a shot, trying out the free version ti'l level 20 and if I enjoy it enough I'll subscribe and play that until Wildstar releases. If it is subscription based I wouldn't mind one bit.
gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts

Anyone playing? It any good? Does it have mining in it and other gathering profs?

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@gem98088:

Tried it at Gamescom, not really long enough to tell if it is really good. But I've been following it for a while and I want my beta key :(

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#38 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

It is good if you want to play the same old MMO you have been playing since 2004 with a different skin on it. If WoW and SWTOR had a baby it would be Wildstar. I literally felt like I played this game many many times before, don't expect anything different in feel or design that what you have played in the past and you could like it.

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts

I like the same old thing.. but in a new world with new adventures to be had.. it sounds great!

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#41 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@gem98088 said:

I like the same old thing.. but in a new world with new adventures to be had.. it sounds great!

Pretty much this, can still be fun if you don't mind the same formula MMO you've been playing. Plenty enough people dig that so it will still be successful.

You guys smell something? Smells like someone stepped in troll shit.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

gameplay>everything

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@robokill said:

gameplay>everything

Again wrong cause it depends on the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

No wonder this site is dead, just reading the quotes is confusing now. This is what happens when big corporations take over. Seriously this sites layout is as about as bad as it gets now.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#45 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@Geminon said:

you are just an angry butthurt guy that doesnt like anything. life is hard for people like that i hear.

Of course you would know that - from your own personal experience.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@Gelugon_baat said:

@Geminon said:

you are just an angry butthurt guy that doesnt like anything. life is hard for people like that i hear.

Of course you would know that - from your own personal experience.

oh look, its special ed gelugon. still forum stalking me i see. i know you have nothing better to do but sheesh.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#47 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@Geminon said:

i know you have nothing better to do but sheesh.

Oh, you are one to talk, Geminon.