WildStar Open Beta starts today "10 days of awesome"

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Carbine opened up their open beta today and it is free to download and play between May 8-18, amounting to 10 days which certainly is a lot for an open beta. Players who participate will also also obtain items available for the full game which will not be obtainable elsewhere.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/openbeta/

Seriously though, to have beta tester exclusive items in the full game feels like a slap in the face to more patient gamers. But other than that I haven no complaints, 10 days is a lot of time and should help anyone on the fence decide on whether the game is for them or not.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Carbine opened up their open beta today and it is free to download and play between May 8-18, amounting to 10 days which certainly is a lot for an open beta. Players who participate will also also obtain items available for the full game which will not be obtainable elsewhere.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/openbeta/

Seriously though, to have beta tester exclusive items in the full game feels like a slap in the face to more patient gamers. But other than that I haven no complaints, 10 days is a lot of time and should help anyone on the fence decide on whether the game is for them or not.

I really tried to like it and the real time action is cool, but I quickly lost interest in it. The quest system was very confusing.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Oooh nice I wanted to try the beta and this is the perfect opportunity to try it, tyvm.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I shall definitely check this out, can't argue with free.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad

@reaper4278 said:

More of the same. Everyone who has played the majority of MMO's out there will about to be experiencing some serious deja vu. Could not keep me to level 10 even, boooooooring.

This seems to be what a lot of people think. Either that it is too banal to keep their interest for long or that it is just missing a certain something. I am not very interested in the game myself, but I know there were quite a few people on this forum who were, which is why I created the thread. But since I created the thread, I might as well get the trial and post my impressions. I wonder how long I will play before I lose interest :P

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I like it but probably will not buy it at launch....wait for a couple weeks or so.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ballroompirate

Liking it so far, my only grip so far is there's way too much fraking UI to deal with.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Enjoyed the opening part of the game.

Like the look of it and the races, classes etc.

Like the combat too.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Liking it so far, my only grip so far is there's way too much fraking UI to deal with.

If you're talking about the datachron, you can minimize it. There's a button on the area where you click to accept calls that also minimizes the datachron.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad

Nice to to see you guys enjoying the beta. Mine is still downloading. The download speeds are surprisingly fast at 400kb/s which is a lot faster than I expected it to be.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ballroompirate

Think I'm gonna play as the Exiles, they remind me of the Brown Coats off of Firefly :P

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

No innovation no care.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

if you honestly dont think there is any innovation in wildstar... i dont know what to tell you.

it is doing a BUNCH of things that no other MMO on the market is doing right now.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Geminon

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

if you honestly dont think there is any innovation in wildstar... i dont know what to tell you.

it is doing a BUNCH of things that no other MMO on the market is doing right now.

Can you name some? I played it and I honestly felt like I have played it a thousand times before. I cannot think of anything truly innovative. Some things seem innovative on the surface but in the end they are just disguising same old MMO material. Kind of like GW2 did with "dynamic questing" which just put a new spin on go kill/fetch questing.

you played it for....

5 levels?

10 levels?

less than 20 levels im guessing. you probably didnt even get your house and see that system. probably didnt see any of the dungeon content. didnt see any of the artifact items that have special quests built into them that you can complete to power them up.... didnt try any of the crafting, which is definitely a different experience from other MMOs....

i just kills me when people go I PLAYED IT I PLAYED IT.... for 5 levels. OFCOURSE it is going to feel like every other MMO at that point. i dont care if it was a VR MMO or something. every MMO is going to play the same in the first few hours. even the secret world, which has arguably the most different, involved, and difficult questing of any MMO on the market right now plays like every other MMO in the first few minutes of the game.

in the end, if you dont like it then fine... dont play it. but please dont sit there and act like you know everything about it or even gave it a fair chance. and DEFINITELY dont sit there and try to tell people it isnt doing anything different, because that is just a bold faced lie. if all you did was run around and do some quests... then you didnt even see 10% of the different kinds of content that wildstar is offering players.... and you absolutely cannot legitimately judge a game based on seeing so little of what it has to offer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

Can you name some? I played it and I honestly felt like I have played it a thousand times before. I cannot think of anything truly innovative. Some things seem innovative on the surface but in the end they are just disguising same old MMO material. Kind of like GW2 did with "dynamic questing" which just put a new spin on go kill/fetch questing.

Uhm, skill-based combat doesn't count?

I think you're just being unreasonably cynical, or you haven't actually played the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@reaper4278 said:

@airshocker said:

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

I think you're just being unreasonably cynical, or you haven't actually played the game.

Skill based combat in an MMO is innovative? Which dictionary are you using?

Okay dude, you got me. I have some hidden agenda here to make Wildstar fail all by myself.

Something doesn't need to be innovative to be fun and refreshing. There are hardly any MMOs out there that use skill-based combat systems.

No, I don't think you have an agenda. I think it's popular to hate and you've never actually played the game.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@Geminon said:

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

you played it for....

5 levels?

10 levels?

less than 20 levels im guessing. you probably didnt even get your house and see that system. probably didnt see any of the dungeon content. didnt see any of the artifact items that have special quests built into them that you can complete to power them up.... didnt try any of the crafting, which is definitely a different experience from other MMOs....

i just kills me when people go I PLAYED IT I PLAYED IT.... for 5 levels. OFCOURSE it is going to feel like every other MMO at that point. i dont care if it was a VR MMO or something. every MMO is going to play the same in the first few hours. even the secret world, which has arguably the most different, involved, and difficult questing of any MMO on the market right now plays like every other MMO in the first few minutes of the game.

in the end, if you dont like it then fine... dont play it. but please dont sit there and act like you know everything about it or even gave it a fair chance. and DEFINITELY dont sit there and try to tell people it isnt doing anything different, because that is just a bold faced lie. if all you did was run around and do some quests... then you didnt even see 10% of the different kinds of content that wildstar is offering players.... and you absolutely cannot legitimately judge a game based on seeing so little of what it has to offer.

i don't understand this mentality. whether you paid for the game or not, it's not the player's job to go and look for something interesting in the game under layers of mediocrity. it's the game's job to either give you interesting things to do the moment you leave character creation, lead you towards interesting things, or give you a choice where you want to go and what you want to do depending on what you find interesting (pvp, wvw, questing, dungeons, crafting, whatever).

i understand that it's impossible to judge an mmo in its entirety in a short amount of playtime but it is very possible to judge whether YOU will find it enjoyable, in a short amount of time.

for example, if i play an MMO primarily for the quests and the story, and after ten levels i realize i don't like the quests and the story so far, why should i continue? is it because the developers have decided that all the poor content will be in the first ten levels and the game will magically improve after that? and really, at what point should i stop and reach the moment of clarity? do you think i'll spend 6 months playing an mmo to decide whether i like it or not?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maroxad

Got to level 5 before I got completely bored out of my mind.

Pros

• Engineers get shotguns
  • Good animation

Cons

• The resource system is minimal, you can get full resources as a medic in about 6 seconds.
  • The path system was terribly executed.
  • Lack of innovation. It is extremely banal. Compared this to Guild Wars 2 which felt fresh right off the bat.
  • Quests are very boring.
  • The UI is horrible. Seriously, why cant they just show us a solid number rather than a percentage?
  • The humor was utterly forced.
  • The characters they were so desperate to push on me... I hated all of them. Especially that celebrity on the empire side.
  • I am certain it is just early on, but at no point did my HP even go below 80%.
  • The pacing was terrible.
  • So was the writing.

As for Geminon. What is innovative about the housing system? What is innovative about the dungeons? What makes the crafting different from other mmos? I am geniuinely curious since I didnt get that far to try them out.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maroxad

@Geminon: So instead of answering people's questions, you just make worthless posts attacking other users and not contributing to anything.

Also ever heard of first impressions? Those were my first impressions of the game, it is pretty common for people to express their first impressions of games.

I seriously doubt stuff like the UI will magically improve by hitting level 50, and the too painful to watch forced humor has been prevalent everywhere and it seems to be generally accepted that the path system was terribly executed, and this is coming from people who have gone above level 20.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

Just a heads up if it's running bad look and the video setting and see if it's set to windowed or full screen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@reaper4278 said:

@airshocker said:

@reaper4278 said:

@airshocker said:

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@blutfahne said:

No innovation no care.

Skill based combat in an MMO is innovative? Which dictionary are you using?

Okay dude, you got me. I have some hidden agenda here to make Wildstar fail all by myself.

Something doesn't need to be innovative to be fun and refreshing. There are hardly any MMOs out there that use skill-based combat systems.

No, I don't think you have an agenda. I think it's popular to hate and you've never actually played the game.

Okay, well I think you are an asshole for calling me a liar just because I have a different opinion than you. Wow.

I asked him to clue me in on what this MMO is doing that is new because I did not see it. Innovation was the topic, you strayed.

And the fact that you didn't mention the combat being different says to me that you haven't actually played it.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Got to level 5 before I got completely bored out of my mind.

So you played for what 15 min? How can you possibly review a game after 15 min of play. I was close to that level before even leaving the tutorial area. I'm not commenting on whether the game is good or not, only the fact that you think you can review a game in the amount of time it takes some people to take a shit.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Downloading it now!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ballroompirate

As a MMO vet, don't even try to judge a MMO before the first 20 lvls, it will get you no where and it will make you look like an idiot. Judging a MMO before lvl 20 is like judging any other game solely on the tutorial.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

i been playing it. Gameplay (combat) is way too generic. PVP is addicting though. It is fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@daious said:

i been playing it. Gameplay (combat) is way too generic. PVP is addicting though. It is fun.

How is it generic? How many recent MMOs have a combat system that's like it? I can only name Age of Conan off the top of my head.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ballroompirate

@airshocker: I'd say it's more like Tera than AoC combat wise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Ballroompirate said:

@airshocker: I'd say it's more like Tera than AoC combat wise.

I would agree.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

and you can't play the game due to their beyond stupid token invalid crap

https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/29628013-The-game-says-Invalid-login-token-when-I-try-to-log-in-what-is-happening-

i have never seen a gaming company do something this stupid for security, when it will do absolutely nothing

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BSC14

I'm going to get the game and I like but this is FAR from the first MMO that had a combat telegraph system....just not to the same extreme as wildstar. This is not a massive revolution in mmos from what I have seen and played...honestly imo if you're expecting something new you're going to be disappointed. It take the WoW formula to some extentand puts a spin on the combat.

I really don't see WoW haters getting into Wildstar to much but maybe I'm wrong.

Personally it reminds me a lot of vanilla WoW and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ferrari2001

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/29628013-The-game-says-Invalid-login-token-when-I-try-to-log-in-what-is-happening-

i have never seen a gaming company do something this stupid for security, when it will do absolutely nothing

Tell me about it. I tried like 10 different passwords and they kept denying them because they apparently weren't secure enough. Eventually I just randomly pounded on my keyboard with a few shifts for safe measure and it finally accepted my password. Now I just store it in a text file in my documents, (like that is somehow anymore secure then a weaker password).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@ferrari2001 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Tell me about it. I tried like 10 different passwords and they kept denying them because they apparently weren't secure enough. Eventually I just randomly pounded on my keyboard with a few shifts for safe measure and it finally accepted my password. Now I just store it in a text file in my documents, (like that is somehow anymore secure then a weaker password).

What? It took me like five seconds to make a password. I simply added a 1 to the one I always use.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Geminon

@daious said:

so i suppose that you think that literally EVERY MMO ever has generic combat then? because Wildstar's combat is probably the most active and action oriented combat of any MMO ever....

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ferrari2001

@airshocker said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

What? It took me like five seconds to make a password. I simply added a 1 to the one I always use.

I tried a variety of combinations to the one I use. Currently it contain a capital letter, several lowercase letter and some numbers. It probably didn't like it because it is a word with a capital and some numbers after it. Although I also tried my secondary password which isn't a word and with a capital and some numbers and it still didn't like it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:

I'm going to get the game and I like but this is FAR from the first MMO that had a combat telegraph system....just not to the same extreme as wildstar. This is not a massive revolution in mmos from what I have seen and played...honestly imo if you're expecting something new you're going to be disappointed. It take the WoW formula to some extentand puts a spin on the combat.

I really don't see WoW haters getting into Wildstar to much but maybe I'm wrong.

Personally it reminds me a lot of vanilla WoW and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

How do you find the time dude?

I'm seriously considering not buying ANY MMOs again cause I just don't have the necessary spare time to invest in them, and I wish I did cause most of the ones I've played are great fun.

I think the only MMO left that I would like to try is Everquest Next ...

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BSC14

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

I'm seriously considering not buying ANY MMOs again cause I just don't have the necessary spare time to invest in them, and I wish I did cause most of the ones I've played are great fun.

Well it's a long story and I'll save you from the boredom of it all. But I did not play it a lot, just enough to get a feel for it. I want it to be "newish" when I do get into it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#47 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

It doesn't suck as bad as ESO, that much is certain.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ballroompirate

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

Finding time is always a piss poor excuse, one of those things that people need to stop doing (sorry my friends do it a lot and it annoys me lol). I worked 14.5 hours 5-7 days a week while playing Rift casually, so there's no excuse for someone to say "I don't have enough time" unless you did what I did and had to work a few of those 26 hour shifts then I'd believe the whole "I don't have enough time" excuse.

You can always make time to play an MMO, of course you might not be able to play for 4-12 hours or w/e how long you wanna play, but you can still play 30 min or so like what I did with Rift.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

@Ballroompirate said:

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

Finding time is always a piss poor excuse, one of those things that people need to stop doing (sorry my friends do it a lot and it annoys me lol). I worked 14.5 hours 5-7 days a week while playing Rift casually, so there's no excuse for someone to say "I don't have enough time" unless you did what I did and had to work a few of those 26 hour shifts then I'd believe the whole "I don't have enough time" excuse.

You can always make time to play an MMO, of course you might not be able to play for 4-12 hours or w/e how long you wanna play, but you can still play 30 min or so like what I did with Rift.

Sure, cause if you can make time then everyone else must have the same life as you and surely be able to make time too right? Why even post all that?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ballroompirate

@FelipeInside said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

Sure, cause if you can make time then everyone else must have the same life as you and surely be able to make time too right? Why even post all that?

Did you even read what I said?