Ubisoft HATE for the PC gaming community (Watch Dogs E3 Mod)

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

This is very Troubling

found in the depths of the new files uncovered by modders.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Oh Ubi, my disdain for you only grows the more I learn. Will not buy...ever.

So glad I didn't buy WD on PS4 or PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

This is very Troubling

If that's legit, it's so sad that PC has become this in the eyes of developers. At least they are not all like that.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

what language is that? its been years since i have done programming so im probably way out of the loop now.

reading it is just a bit off. else what? usually else is the last condition if no other conditions are met in an if/else statement yet there are 2 here.

and wouldnt there only be one endif for an if/else block?

as i say..i have no idea what language that is. i come mostly from a java background and that was Java 6.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

More info

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Keep in mind this is likely from one programmer and not the whole team or the producers. While it's not a great comment to put in code, it might not represent the entire attitude of the company. Might be just a programmer who was a) having a bad day b) hates PC gaming or c) was trying to make a joke.

legendofzub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 legendofzub
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Can somebody explain what the if/else statement is accomplishing, and what the difference between the resulting targets are? I don't know how to interpret "This is PC only, who cares." without knowing what the code is actually doing...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

Keep in mind this is likely from one programmer and not the whole team or the producers. While it's not a great comment to put in code, it might not represent the entire attitude of the company. Might be just a programmer who was a) having a bad day b) hates PC gaming or c) was trying to make a joke.

it doesn't help that ubisoft have been very vocal about their negative views of the PC community of the years. If this was the first time we even had a hint of them not liking the PC then fine..but they at one point said that 95% of PC gamers are pirates.

I can't wait for the excuse they give for this.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

This is very Troubling

If that's legit, it's so sad that PC has become this in the eyes of developers. At least they are not all like that.

Makes a generalization...then reneges immediately

@nutcrackr said:

Yeah, it is hard to understand the context of the comment, but I am sure people will have no problem inserting their own.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Trying to charge £39.99 while putting this type of message in ma game? **** you. Just, **** you.

Srly, **** you.

Still picking up Far Cry 4!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I only have watchdogs because it came free with my video card. I have yet to install it though.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@osan0 said:

what language is that? its been years since i have done programming so im probably way out of the loop now.

reading it is just a bit off. else what? usually else is the last condition if no other conditions are met in an if/else statement yet there are 2 here.

as i say..i have no idea what language that is. i come mostly from a java background and that was Java 6.

It's c++ as far as i can tell. These are not normal if and else statements, they are conditional inclusions, that is why it seems off to you.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

The fact that all these options were locked and needed to be modded to gain access them is worse than the stupid comment.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/40bed5f8fd163b8de7df

The whole coding page where this is found.

legendofzub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By legendofzub
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts
@lawlessx said:

@nutcrackr said:

it doesn't help that ubisoft have been very vocal about their negative views of the PC community of the years. If this was the first time we even had a hint of them not liking the PC then fine..but they at one point said that 95% of PC gamers are pirates.

I can't wait for the excuse they give for this.

The thing is, that statistic may be fairly accurate, albeit deceptive. They made it seem like that's exclusive to PC gamers. I'd actually say it's even higher than 95% if you take away the PC gamer qualifier and add "of people who access the internet fairly regularly." The thing is, many if not most people don't even know they are pirating while they're doing it. Downloading games without permission from the publisher? Pirating. Downloading movies from anyone without distribution rights? Pirating. Downloading music without rights from the artist and/or publisher? Pirating. Watching copyrighted movies or listening to copyrighted music that haven't been uploaded by the owner of the copyright? Pirating. Even letting someone read your E-Book without permission from the publisher could be considered pirating.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Saw that yesterday. This is sad.

@nutcrackr said:

Actually, when I first started taking my programming classes, our teachers used to form groups and assign different tasks to those groups. Different people excelled in different fields so they used to do the thing they were best at. Although I do not remember exactly how it worked, but I do remember that in the end, the work was always checked by the group leader and often by all of the people who contributed. There's a chance it might work differently there, but I definitely think that at least some of the programmers must have seen that.

Also this: https://twitter.com/UbiTessa/status/478622295662297088

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

lmao wtf, installed the mod and game looks much better not E3 better but close enough.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint:

trying to make a big deal out of literally nothing.

some mad programmer probably stuck that in there... or someone stuck it in there for whatever reason. if you think ubisoft as an organization even knows about that one line of code in MILLIONS OF LINES OF CODE.... you are out of your mind. you act like the head of ubisoft said "YES... PUT THIS IN THERE BECAUSE F*** PC".... completely dumb.

kamatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kamatsu
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Still picking up Far Cry 4!

Well, don't expect the PC version of Far Cry 4 to be better than the console version's. Ubisoft continues to show it's hatred of PC's, and desire to ensure the PC does not outshine consoles, by confirming that the PC version of FC4 is gimped to match the consoles.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubisoft-Far-Cry-4-on-PS4-Xbox-One-Equivalent-to-PC-Ultra-High-446878.shtml

Relevant quote: "So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up. So as a console player you’re already getting by far the best version we can ship."

Console best version? Technically it shouldn't be, as even ~3 year old gaming PC's have better hardware than either console - so should be able to display/use higher textures, better AA, etc than either the XBO or PS4. So only way this can be true... is if they have forced 'parity' between each platform by gimping the PC version.

From a business perspective, I can see the interest in this - Ubisoft get a better ROI from console sales than PC sales, so by gimping the PC version they hope to encourage more console sales. This is because if PC is obviously better, then people with both console & PC will more likely choose PC version, which results in less profit for Ubisoft.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup  Online

Far Cry 2/3 looked and ran great. Now they have partnered up with nvidia, I'm hoping for TXAA like Ass Creed and Blacklist.

I seriously doubt the console version will use TXAA or the same level of texture filtering and other goodies on the pc.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

This is very Troubling

CD Projekt might be the only sane company out there.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

If that "one" programmer felt it was acceptable to say it then I am pretty sure either he/she is in a leading position, it is acceptable to the majority....or it is at least acceptable to those who matter. Either one of the three is bad.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vfibsux

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

some mad programmer probably stuck that in there... or someone stuck it in there for whatever reason. if you think ubisoft as an organization even knows about that one line of code in MILLIONS OF LINES OF CODE.... you are out of your mind. you act like the head of ubisoft said "YES... PUT THIS IN THERE BECAUSE F*** PC".... completely dumb.

Read the above....use a little critical thinking. I know your trollish mind may have trouble with that but try it without having a stroke.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cyloninside

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

Read the above....use a little critical thinking. I know your trollish mind may have trouble with that but try it without having a stroke.

rofl, you are calling me a troll and you are the one starting shit....

you are wrong. im sorry. you are making assumptions with no proof.... which means what you are saying is worth literally **** all.

im sorry you are so mad about everything vfib.. but accusations with no proof just makes you a conspiracy theorist, not a beacon of truth.

burden of proof is on the accuser.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cyloninside

@faizan_faizan said:

@nutcrackr said:

Actually, when I first started taking my programming classes, our teachers used to form groups and assign different tasks to those groups. Different people excelled in different fields so they used to do the thing they were best at. Although I do not remember exactly how it worked, but I do remember that in the end, the work was always checked by the group leader and often by all of the people who contributed. There's a chance it might work differently there, but I definitely think that at least some of the programmers must have seen that.

anyone that has ever worked in a corporate environment knows that this is just not how it actually works out there in the real world.

This is how the real world works:

underlings do the work, boss comes and asks them if it is right, they say yes, boss looks over the work briefly, boss puts his name on it and signs off.... and off it goes. boss -never- checks the work extensively.

there is absolutely no way that one person, or a small group of people could review the millions of lines of code that go into making a videogame extensively enough to catch something like this. 6 words in tens of millions of words. it doesnt happen.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@osan0 said:

that's a c++ header file

also this is news over nothing, one random developer who wrote something snarky

that also may be code that will be handled by direct x so they don't have to do special optimizations, hence "who cares"

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@faizan_faizan said:

@nutcrackr said:

anyone that has ever worked in a corporate environment knows that this is just not how it actually works out there in the real world.

This is how the real world works:

underlings do the work, boss comes and asks them if it is right, they say yes, boss looks over the work briefly, boss puts his name on it and signs off.... and off it goes. boss -never- checks the work extensively.

there is absolutely no way that one person, or a small group of people could review the millions of lines of code that go into making a videogame extensively enough to catch something like this. 6 words in tens of millions of words. it doesnt happen.

Fair enough. Your post does make sense.

awax187187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

What does DNA stand for?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

you are wrong. im sorry. you are making assumptions with no proof.... which means what you are saying is worth literally **** all.

im sorry you are so mad about everything vfib.. but accusations with no proof just makes you a conspiracy theorist, not a beacon of truth.

You are the one who came in here rofl@every poster in here for taking this for what it is so troll on cowboy. Fail ass troll.

If by troll you mean he is thinking about this the right way then ya i guess he is a troll. One programmer, lead or not, does not reflect the viewpoints of an entire company, to think so is just ignorant.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cyloninside

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

You are the one who came in here rofl@every poster in here for taking this for what it is so troll on cowboy. Fail ass troll.

actually, i came in here and pointed out EXACTLY what the most likely situation is... that this was put in there either as a joke, or by a mad employee, and there is absolutely no chance that it would be caught out of millions of lines of code. the OP is posting this acting like the CEO of ubisoft approved this being in there as a F*** you to PC gamers... there is just no chance in hell that is the case. literally no chance.

so uh... troll on yourself mad guy? the more you act like this... the more you make yourself look like the asshole around here.

what is even more disturbing is that the OP is a moderator.... and this entire thread is complete flame bait. moderators should know better than to post stuff like this.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Guys Farcry 3 and 4 and the Division are being Co-developed with Red Storm... The guys who make Tom Clancy games, rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon games.

They are a different level of developer in my opinion as their work shows, until Farcry came over to Red Storm it was a sinking ship of mediocrity and Red Storm started off with PC games and ports it very well... So you shouldn't worry about the Division or Farcry 4... But Rainbow 6 Siege you should since Red Storm is not making that one.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Guys Farcry 3 and 4 and the Division are being Co-developed with Red Storm... The guys who make Tom Clancy games, rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon games.

They are a different level of developer in my opinion as their work shows, until Farcry came over to Red Storm it was a sinking ship of mediocrity and Red Storm started off with PC games and ports it very well... So you shouldn't worry about the Division or Farcry 4... But Rainbow 6 Siege you should since Red Storm is not making that one.

I'm sorry but FC3 was also downgraded in comparison with the E3 footage years ago, albeit it was crappy co-op missions. As such, I'm not having any high expectations for FC4 and The Division - graphically and optimization wise ...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@stizzal13 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

This is very Troubling

Makes a generalization...then reneges immediately

I guess I should have put "in the eyes of SOME developers".

I beg your forgiveness oh great English Teacher...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup  Online

@Code135 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I'm sorry but FC3 was also downgraded in comparison with the E3 footage years ago, albeit it was crappy co-op missions. As such, I'm not having any high expectations for FC4 and The Division - graphically and optimization wise ...

Farcry 2/3 ran/runs 60fps on a mid end pc easily. Graphically, I doubt many people would call it bad looking.

I think your expectations are deeply misguided.

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LiquidButter
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

They probably downgraded the graphical effects because they didn't want to piss off Microsoft and Sony by having comparisons showing that the PC version was far superior to their brand new consoles.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

lol, seriously? :D

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

@Nick3306: yup looks like it. they are preprocessor directives.

looking at the bigger sample gives me a better understanding of whats going on now. classic example of context being important :P.

which kinda brings me more on topic. looking at the bigger sample of code it would seem that the programmer could be saying that they have to do all sorts of stuff for the xbox (360 maybe...referencing a xenon) and for the PC none of that stuff applies...so no need to care about it.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@osan0 said:

looking at the bigger sample gives me a better understanding of whats going on now. classic example of context being important :P.

which kinda brings me more on topic. looking at the bigger sample of code it would seem that the programmer could be saying that they have to do all sorts of stuff for the xbox (360 maybe...referencing a xenon) and for the PC none of that stuff applies...so no need to care about it.

That's what I figured too, I often write comments in code that could be misunderstood.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts
@kraken2109 said:

@osan0 said:

That's what I figured too, I often write comments in code that could be misunderstood.

Yep, plus the way it is written just makes it seem like its unimportant specifically for pc, not that they don't care about it. Although I do have to say that the fact they did downgrade graphics from E3, and the fact that it runs better with said graphics is unacceptable.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Before people soak their panties over this here's some info since I was there in the guru3d thread where all this popped up.

• This "who cares" line is likely someone at ubi poking fun at how they were forced to abandon work on the extra visuals by the heads of the company to roll the game out on consoles.
  • the "E3" tag applied to special effects was put in by the modder himself so he and anyone who edits it can tell whats what

Let's not turn stupid stuff like this into your typical whiny child gamer cries.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@wis3boi said:

Before people soak their panties over this here's some info since I was there in the guru3d thread where all this popped up.

• This "who cares" line is likely someone at ubi poking fun at how they were forced to abandon work on the extra visuals by the heads of the company to roll the game out on consoles.
  • the "E3" tag applied to special effects was put in by the modder himself so he and anyone who edits it can tell whats what

Let's not turn stupid stuff like this into your typical whiny child gamer cries.

I think as PC gamers we're getting a little too sensitive. I think the context of that code comment goes beyond's everyone's head (and is more similar to your top point rather than some random PC bashing). There's a reason why that comment is embedded in the code...it's relevant to only the programming! Just like all comments written in code. It's too easy to take that specific phrase "PC, who cares"? out of context in this scenario.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

^ couldn't you just edit your first message and added that bit in?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By vfibsux

@Nick3306 said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

If by troll you mean he is thinking about this the right way then ya i guess he is a troll. One programmer, lead or not, does not reflect the viewpoints of an entire company, to think so is just ignorant.

Who said it did? My point was if they have a culture there where they know it is okay to say things like this that is a sign of a problem. If you don't agree with that logic you are the ignorant one here. Like people have said....it also depends on the context. Everything I am saying is with the assumption it was nefarious. Whether it was or not none of us can presume to know. You cannot say it was one way when you don't really know then criticize me when I say it could be another way.....works both ways. That goes for trollface as well...who has already earned his rep and will never be taken seriously on this board except for by people who have not seen his antics...like you.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

I agree with those who are saying that this leak is being blown out of proportion.

That remark is not easy to interpret, and even if it is intended to be snarky, it is the opinion of a disgruntled programmer.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cyloninside

@vfibsux said:

@Nick3306 said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@klunt_bumskrint:

Who said it did? My point was if they have a culture there where they know it is okay to say things like this that is a sign of a problem. If you don't agree with that logic you are the ignorant one here. Like people have said....it also depends on the context. Everything I am saying is with the assumption it was nefarious. Whether it was or not none of us can presume to know. You cannot say it was one way when you don't really know then criticize me when I say it could be another way.....works both ways. That goes for trollface as well...who has already earned his rep and will never be taken seriously on this board except for by people who have not seen his antics...like you.

vfib always gets mad and rages at people that dont agree with him. he will also, as you can see, always try to deflect that he was caught being dumb and change the subject.

dont bother arguing with him.... he will just throw some insults around and say "troll" a lot. best just to ignore the "real troll" here...

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gelugon_baat
@KHAndAnime said:

I think as PC gamers we're getting a little too sensitive. I think the context of that code comment goes beyond's everyone's head (and is more similar to your top point rather than some random PC bashing). There's a reason why that comment is embedded in the code...it's relevant to only the programming! Just like all comments written in code. It's too easy to take that specific phrase "PC, who cares"? out of context in this scenario.

I agree with KHAndAnime. There has been overreaction.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

ewwww, Ubisoft games, who cares?

I don't buy their games (with very few exceptions) so I couldn't care less what their backwater programmers think.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gelugon_baat
@-wildflower- said:

ewwww, Ubisoft games, who cares?

I don't buy their games (with very few exceptions) so I couldn't care less what their backwater programmers think.

I would say here that Ubisoft is on my boycott list, but I am not prideful enough to flaunt my apathy like you had.

With that said, I find that this issue here is still significant enough to catch my attention, because it raises many questions - which I would add, no one here has reliable answers to.

(Only the programmer who put in that remark has them.)