So did EA publish a game that has been impossible to pirate? Sim City.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts

From a consumers point of view, EA screwed up with their always online DRM system. 

But from a publishers point of view, did they succeed? Only a couple of weeks after the game was released we were able to read that the game sold over one million copies. EA also said that the server issues were caused by more people playing the game than they were expecting. 

Now, weeks after the release, I still don`t see any offline cracks, mods or pirate version up on any page. 

This sounds like sucsess to me. Not that EA ever cared about making consumers happy anyway.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

They had to give away games to try and appeal to angry consumers. I don't think they succeeded.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
impossible to pirate and impossible to play?
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
Didn't someone hack the game to be played offline and to remove the city limit size?
BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
Didn't someone hack the game to be played offline and to remove the city limit size?ssvegeta555
Read so along with the offline mod, but still nothing online to download.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Didn't someone hack the game to be played offline and to remove the city limit size?ssvegeta555

I believe it had some drawbacks though like still having to connect to the servers to save and + EA has blocked it with a patch. The whole always online thing is indeed very strong DRM but it can be broken it just takes a lot longer problem longer then anyone will care for.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Yes, and since it was all over the net, they patched the files you edit to allow that and encrypted them

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Pirating games like this would help the industry in every way, or by not buying it completely. It's an action of not supporting games that belongs to the garbage bin.

But I never pirate, so I chose to not buy the game. Hell, I don't even want that garbage anyway.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Pirating games like this would help the industry in every way, or by not buying it completely. It's an action of not supporting games that belongs to the garbage bin.

But I never pirate, so I chose to not buy the game. Hell, I don't even want that garbage anyway.

Cyberdot

Pirating wouldnt help, not buying it would

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Considering their garbage DRM has very likely cost them far more sales than piracy ever would have, I can easily assume it was a stupid idea.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Diablo3 still hasn't fully been pirated yet either and thats been out much longer.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
It's also impossible for legitimate consumers to play the game because of the bugs. It's an unpolished MESS of a game.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

The only thing Simcity will be remembered for now is the textbooks exampel of a DRM disaster. It ended up exactly like predicted.

Game releases, DRM servers crap, paying customers can't pay

Couple of days later, game is cracked, and opens the floodgate for piracy.

EA can b!tch all they want about services and shoving dlc down our throat and what not through always-on DRM, but at the end of the day, it has (once again) proven to be anything but a service to anyone. Simcity still ended up being cracked, and regular people can't play it reliably. Any game irregardless of coding will always be cracked and pirated. As long as the core game files and the processing is done client side, you can't stop piracy.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It's also impossible for legitimate consumers to play the game because of the bugs. It's an unpolished MESS of a game.chrisrooR

mmm ive been able to play anytime I want to play after the first 3 days of launch

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi

Diablo3 still hasn't fully been pirated yet either and thats been out much longer.

kozzy1234

on that fiasco, at least blizzard wasn't lying when they said the servers were doing to computations for quests and loot data.  The sim city servers aren't doing jack squat

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Actually, considering that a modder was able to make the game work without being online, it's only a matter of time before there are pirate copies being distributed with that fix.

Diablo 3, on the other hand, is/has been impossible to pirate because, unlike Sim City, the servers actually  are  performing necessary game functions. That's why the handful of "cracked" copies of D3 that are floating around are based on the demo/trial copy, and only have like 10% of the game content.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Considering their garbage DRM has very likely cost them far more sales than piracy ever would have, I can easily assume it was a stupid idea.

jer_1

Also this. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
Nope, what he did was a very limited way to ruin someones city, make interstate roads in your own zone, and play for a unlimited time without a internet connection, but he couldn´t get it to save and noone else has gotten it to save the city on a local machine.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

From a consumers point of view, EA screwed up with their always online DRM system. 

But from a publishers point of view, did they succeed? Only a couple of weeks after the game was released we were able to read that the game sold over one million copies. EA also said that the server issues were caused by more people playing the game than they were expecting. 

Now, weeks after the release, I still don`t see any offline cracks, mods or pirate version up on any page. 

This sounds like sucsess to me. Not that EA ever cared about making consumers happy anyway.

BuldozerX
From a consumers POW we were fooled by a false statement by EA. EA said they created a SimCity "Singleplayer" game with multiplayer options, this is false, Simcity is a multiplayer game with singleplayer options and like any other multiplayer game it of course demand a internet connection. So its a POW question, if EA continues to claim its a single player game then yes, it looks like no one has been able to pirate the game. But then its not a singleplayer game, its a mmo.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Nah, EA published a game that pisses all over your consumer rights. It's extremely sad how people allow these corporations to rape them.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Nah, EA published a game that pisses all over your consumer rights. It's extremely sad how people allow these corporations to rape them.

Lost-to-Apathy
Out of respect for those that have actually been raped, I think your use of the word here is pretty ignorant and grossly exaggerated.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
EA published a game that caused their customers to rage out, their CEO to resign, and their stock to drop %9 in one day. Piracy should be the least of the game industry's worries at this point.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

Actually, considering that a modder was able to make the game work without being online, it's only a matter of time before there are pirate copies being distributed with that fix.

Diablo 3, on the other hand, is/has been impossible to pirate because, unlike Sim City, the servers actually  are  performing necessary game functions. That's why the handful of "cracked" copies of D3 that are floating around are based on the demo/trial copy, and only have like 10% of the game content.

the_bi99man
I won't give a pirated version to appear too long. Yeah, they may have encrypted the files that allowed this modder to make it offline, but hackers have the ability to bypass all that, that's why they are called hackers. And like you said, SimCity's servers don't actually do anything. I guess the social aspect crap, but that's all pretty much. So yeah, I'm with you on this on 100%. Maybe a month at most? I wish Maxis/EA would just give what people want, offline-mode, bigger maps etc., and I can imagine a lot of this negativy would die off, until? (and maybe even if) that happens SimCity will go down the history books as a game that ruined a perfectly working franchise.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

the_bi99man

EA patched that file after the mod was showcased, you can't alter it anymore

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="ssvegeta555"]Didn't someone hack the game to be played offline and to remove the city limit size?Gen007

I believe it had some drawbacks though like still having to connect to the servers to save and + EA has blocked it with a patch. The whole always online thing is indeed very strong DRM but it can be broken it just takes a lot longer problem longer then anyone will care for.

No it cant be broken...shut up if u have no clue at all...

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="ssvegeta555"]Didn't someone hack the game to be played offline and to remove the city limit size?rhazzy

No it cant be broken...shut up if u have no clue at all...

Yes because your the expert :roll: It can be done and such a thing has been done before but its far more complicated then the usual method that pirates use to well pirate. which is why its actually a really good form of DRM. Without going into detail it would require reverse engineering how the game communicates with the servers. There are all sorts of issues surrounding that though and like i said it wont be happening anytime soon if ever because i doubt people will care about this game that long. The real question is how long? especially when your dealing with stuff like encrytion which no doubt is being used here. The answer being long enough which is all EA cares about anyway.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

They lost far more money on servers and dealing with the fallout (like giving free games) than they would have lost from piracy

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

jer_1

This. The gaming press have been so negative against the game they EA have done more damage to the game than pirates ever could. They basically have killed the Simcity franchise and have dragged Maxis name through the mud that may just well stick this time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts
Even if EA has succeeded in significantly reducing piracy and increasing revenue, that short term gain is not worth the long term cost of consumers immense anger and lost faith in them, in Maxis, and how much of a fail this DRM is. And while I am sad to see such amazing games ultimately ruined and having to be sacrificed to realize this, I'm also in a way grateful it is happening as it's only working to prove that this terrible practice just doesn't work and isn't worth it to the damge it's doing to a company's brand name. Of course, this is EA, so they probably don't even care but others (Ubi) do. The only reason people are still supporting this sh!t is because they are beginning to wisen up as this has occurred only a handful of times. The rest are morons. So yea....the more these DRM fiascos happen, the more detrimental an impact it will have on any company that insists upon doing it, and if they're smart they will wisen up ASAP. Using this DRM may benefit in the short term, but in the end it's just not worth it.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

jer_1
Not really. Just the first week they sold 1.1 million copies. And i bet they have tons of suckers to buy useless junk from their in game store. From what i've seen people pay anything for whatever junk they dish out and big companies like EA know this and they'll milk it for everything its worth.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

If I sell you a brick for $60 it can't be downloaded by pirates either.

Caladfwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Caladfwich
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts

Considering how bad the game is overall, i doub they even want to actually hack it all too.:P

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SKaREO
There's no point pirating broken software. Pirates actually do have ethics, believe it or not. However, it would only require the removal of a couple lines of code to make SimCity 2013 a semi-functional offline game. kNoRepeatNetworkAlertSeconds : 15, kNetDownForceQuitAfterMinutes : 20,
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Always online doesn't stop piracy.. Diablo 3 is always online and it was cracked to be played offline. The new sim city is designed to be played online like an MMO. You have smaller cities that help other cities in the area. Not a game you would want to play offline because of how it was designed.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

I don't know, I haven't seen a pirated version of it yet. But I'm going to go ahead and say that any company that thinks crippling a game and making it garbage all for the sake of keeping it from being pirated is worth it can go f**k themselves.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi

Always online doesn't stop piracy.. Diablo 3 is always online and it was cracked to be played offline. The new sim city is designed to be played online like an MMO. You have smaller cities that help other cities in the area. Not a game you would want to play offline because of how it was designed.Rattlesnake_8

Not true.  Diablo 3's loot and quests are done server-side. Yes it was 'cracked' but nothing worked well or at all because someone has to actually rewrite the code.  SimCity was a pile of lies, the sevrers do nothing but hold save files.  For the very short time someone did manage to get it to work offline, it ran perfect and nothing got screwed up except save synching.  The guy modding it was about to make it fully offline and then EA patched the files he was editing to an encrypted state.  Playing simcity online is not required at all, and was a terrible move

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

SimCity was the most fun I've had with a videogame released this year. And I didn't even play it!

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

chrisrooR
Out of respect for those that have actually been raped, I think your use of the word here is pretty ignorant and grossly exaggerated.

There are multiple ways to use the word rape. It doesn't necessarily have to refer to sexual rape. DUR HUR
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

SimCity was the most fun I've had with a videogame released this year. And I didn't even play it!

QQabitmoar

Yup, gotta hand it to EA.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Always online doesn't stop piracy.. Diablo 3 is always online and it was cracked to be played offline. The new sim city is designed to be played online like an MMO. You have smaller cities that help other cities in the area. Not a game you would want to play offline because of how it was designed.Rattlesnake_8
Diablo 3 wasn't cracked and it never will be, unless somebody out there is crazy enough to develop Diablo 3 on their own (literally develop), it's not the first time you say these stupid things without having a clue.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Not impossible. Server emulation would solve it.

marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts

^ This. There's no such thing as a game that's impossible to pirate. Even WoW has emulated servers running.

DRM (even the type of DRM in Sim City) is only to slow down piracy for as long as possible during and prior to the launch of the game. 

Farxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Farxi
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

I cant undarstand what are you all so pissed about DRM.
So it demmands online connection, most of us have 24\7 connection anyways, and there is like 1% who are using modems,
who cares?! realy?! the game is fun, there are some bugs but EA is working on fixing them, they fixed many issues already,
enjoying the game, life is good, WTF people?! leave it already!

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

^ This. There's no such thing as a game that's impossible to pirate. Even WoW has emulated servers running.

DRM (even the type of DRM in Sim City) is only to slow down piracy for as long as possible during and prior to the launch of the game. 

marshbaboon
Hello friend Rattlesnake_8, WoW's servers aren't simply emulated, the "private" WoW is the work of many people programming and recreating WoW from 0 over multiple years, if it weren't for millions willing to play and some willing to pay, "private" WoW would not exist, those people deserve praise for their dedication even if what they're doing is illegal in the end, they're way above filth like the common pirates.
Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

kozzy1234

Only thing is that people don't care about D3 anymore ... Sim City is another story ...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Not worthy of pirating? Dayamn.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wis3boi

I cant undarstand what are you all so pissed about DRM.
So it demmands online connection, most of us have 24\7 connection anyways, and there is like 1% who are using modems,
who cares?! realy?! the game is fun, there are some bugs but EA is working on fixing them, they fixed many issues already,
enjoying the game, life is good, WTF people?! leave it already!

Farxi

terrible excuse

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

The people who bought it originally helps the industry. Because now they are gonna get another Origin game absolutly free =D

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
From a Developers standpoint I don't see it as a success if they reach the point where you're given a free game because their product isn't up to par when it's released. From a Consumers standpoint, We got a free game ontop of one that works well now as far as I know.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SKaREO
They were trying to prevent people from stealing their games. Their DRM scheme was so shoddy, they had to give away free games to avoid a class action lawsuit and the loss of all their customers. Looks to me like the pirates won this batle without even lifting a finger. EA literally shot themselves in the foot, again.