This topic is locked from further discussion.

ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ardent163
Member since 2005 • 407 Posts

I was just checking up on Starcraft 2's pricing and the non-collector's edition is 59.99. That seems to be the going rate now for all new video games, regardless of platform. I'm in a shock a little at the supply and demand that's happening here, but not too much. I was just wondering what everyone here at gamespot thought about the current going rate of pc games and what they foresee in the future as far as pricing goes?

lol let's see, 59.99 + 39.99 + 39.99 = 139.99, then with the current tax in my area, that's like $146.19 for the entire non-collector's edition starcraft 2 game. The entire starcraft 1 game was like 79.99 which was 49.99 + 29.99 base prices for the original and brood war expansion

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I will never, repeat never, pay $60 for a PC game. The industry standard is still $50 but some companies enjoy gouging their loyal fan-base. Kind of humorous, actually.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I think $60 is a bit much. Though, if a game is very good, I may be willing to pay that price.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
SC2 is probably the only game I would pay $60 for, and with Blizzards track record for releasing SC, I won't pay $60 again for another decade and a half.
ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ardent163

I agree as far as buying starcraft 2 goes, there're other games out there, like dominions 3, which have a price tag of 69.99.:| Still not sure what to make of the situation, if you can even call it that.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
I will pay the same price as consoles games on my pc, which utilizes an open format hence games should be cheaper, when hell freezes over.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
I will pay the same price as consoles games on my pc, which utilizes an open format hence games should be cheaper, when hell freezes over.BDK-Soft
an open format is NOT the only thing that determines price. for example, there is demand. if you had said starcraft2 was not worth your 60 USD it would have made perfect sense to me. saying that it SHOULD be cheaper than consoles games because it utilizes an open format, without acknowledging other factors that determine the price is not entirely correct
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I will never, repeat never, pay $60 for a PC game. The industry standard is still $50 but some companies enjoy gouging their loyal fan-base. Kind of humorous, actually.

-wildflower-

The fact that millions of people will be playing these $60 games is not humorous.

It will become the standard soon.

Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

Diablo II was originally $60 also, and another one of Blizzard's games from a while ago, so it's nothing they haven't done before. I would only pay 60 for a game that I knew would have hundreds of hours of replayability that I would enjoy, and that's definitely not SC2. Diablo III, however...yes.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Games with loyal fanbases will profit, every other game will suffer (No, I won't pay $60 for non-Starcraft/Diablo games).
ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ardent163

Diablo II was originally $60 also, and another one of Blizzard's games from a while ago, so it's nothing they haven't done before. I would only pay 60 for a game that I knew would have hundreds of hours of replayability that I would enjoy, and that's definitely not SC2. Diablo III, however...yes.

Esoteric

I didn't know that was what Diablo II originally cost :| That really adds perspective to this whole supply and demand situation. With games like Dominions 3 though, which are like $69 at base price, I'm wondering also, what kind of standard pc game pricing we'll be seeing. Maybe 40 years from now we'll be paying for our pc games with information as the going currency :|, assuming we're still using computers in 40 years, in generally the same way we do right now.

Melee_Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Melee_Penguin
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

I will not pay more than the market standard for a game. PC Games are standard at $50.

I rent most of my console games through Gamefly, which costs me $298.44 a year. The wife and I save a boat load using that service with the amount of games that we play.

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
It's 60 + 40 + 40 = $140. The expansions will be priced as expansions. Also, Wings of Liberty is the length of the entire StarCraft campaign. They're both 30 missions in length. StarCraft 2 might be even longer since it has optional missions you can go on to gain money for things like new units/buildings and upgrades. StarCraft 2 and its two expansions will be 90 missions in length. So you can think of it as getting two expansions instead of one (StarCraft + Brood War).
ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ardent163

It's 60 + 40 + 40 = $140. The expansions will be priced as expansions. Also, Wings of Liberty is the length of the entire StarCraft campaign. They're both 30 missions in length. StarCraft 2 might be even longer since it has optional missions you can go on to gain money for things like new units/buildings and upgrades. StarCraft 2 and its two expansions will be 90 missions in length. So you can think of it as getting two expansions instead of one (StarCraft + Brood War).Einhanderkiller

Weird, where in the world did I see the pricing of 59.99 as a base price for all three :| thanks for the info.

Melee_Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Melee_Penguin
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

It's 60 + 40 + 40 = $140. The expansions will be priced as expansions.Einhanderkiller

The standard market rate for PC expansions is less than $40, you're already being price gouged.

Also, Wings of Liberty is the length of the entire StarCraft campaign. They're both 30 missions in length. StarCraft 2 might be even longer since it has optional missions you can go on to gain money for things like new units/buildings and upgrades. StarCraft 2 and its two expansions will be 90 missions in length. So you can think of it as getting two expansions instead of one (StarCraft + Brood War).Einhanderkiller

GTA IV was $50 it's expansions were priced as expansions and has more missions than Starcraft.

You can attempt to justify the price whichever way that you'd like to, but you're paying an upcharge for no good reason

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

It isn't anything new really, as blizzard charged $60 for Warcraft 3 when it came out in 02. And when looking at the whole picture Blizzard isn't actually gouging their fanbase, seeing as WoW was only $50, while it's expansions were only $40.

I can understand concern over what may be pointing to a change in the industry, but I just don't see it happening when taking these factors into consideration.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
I would rather pay $60 for a great game than pay $50 for a mediocre one.......
ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ardent163

It isn't anything new really, as blizzard charged $60 for Warcraft 3 when it came out in 02. And when looking at the whole picture Blizzard isn't actually gouging their fanbase, seeing as WoW was only $50, while it's expansions were only $40.

I can understand concern over what may be pointing to a change in the industry, but I just don't see it happening when taking these factors into consideration.

Roris0A

It's just starcraft that I"m mentioning because I'm planning to get it tommorow, orrr later today, since it's 1 in the morning.

I couldn't help but think about the future of pricing standards for pc gaming after doing the calculations for purchasing the entire starcraft 2 game. There's still games like Dominions 3, I like that game alot, which are quite high in price compared to standard pc game pricing at the present time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I would rather pay $60 for a great game than pay $50 for a mediocre one.......Mafiree

exactly. it ain't cheap making the kind of games like Starcraft II. 7 years of development...

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Raymundo_Manuel

The fact that millions of people will be playing these $60 games is not humorous.

It will become the standard soon.

Really? I think it's hilarious that Activison/blizzard/Ubisoft/EA fans are being ripped-off with over inflated prices and nickel-and-dime DLC. I'm not going to pay it so it affects me very little if at all. If there's a game I want that's priced above the industry standard I can gladly wait a few months for the eventual and inevitable price drop. I don't feel the urge to have the newest shiny object the day it's released.

Heck, I still haven't bought the expansion pack for Dragon Age (a game I actually thought was pretty ok) because it was priced $10 more than the standard expansion pack. $40 for an expansion pack? Uhm, no thanks. I'll get it eventually but I'm in no hurry.

So, by all means, let these greedy corporations continue to gouge and attempt monetize everything (paying for user made content now? hahah!) and eventually people will get fed up and things will change or they won't get fed up and I'll find a new hobby. I honestly don't care anymore. This industry and the games it's producing are, with a few exceptions, a shadow of what they once were anyhow. It won't be that big of a loss.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roris0A

[QUOTE="Roris0A"]

ardent163

It's just starcraft that I"m mentioning because I'm planning to get it tommorow, orrr later today, since it's 1 in the morning. I couldn't help but think about the future of pricing standards for pc gaming after doing the calculations for purchasing the entire starcraft 2 game. There's still games like Dominions 3, I like that game alot, which are quite high in price compared to standard pc game pricing at the present time.

Ah, well those prices are the same in my area too. But look at it this way: All three games will be as big as the original campaign, plus they will be spaced apart knowing how long blizzard takes to develop their games. Also you can skip any campaign that you don't want.

While its much more expensive as a whole,in the end you end getting more and you have more choices as a consumer. The only valid complaint that still remains is that fact that things aren't in one nice little package like they were, as it's your money. But don't say you don't have any choices in what to buy.

Personally I felt the same way about things in the beginning, but now it's simply: More = better. :)

ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ardent163

Ah, well those prices are the same in my area too. But look at it this way: All three games will be as big as the original campaign, plus they will be spaced apart knowing how long blizzard takes to develop their games. Also you can skip any campaign that you don't want.

While its much more expensive as a whole,in the end you end getting more and you have more choices as a consumer. The only valid complaint that still remains is that fact that things aren't in one nice little package like theywere. But the thing is, you still have the choice to buy things how you want. I hope you can see things better now, as I felt the same way about things in the beginning,butnowit's simply: More = better. :)

Roris0A

Maybe that's what's changing :| The whole "nice little package" deal. I suppose now adays games are split into small manageable chunks while keeping prices consistent? lol I'm a bit confused still, but I think your messege gave me all the more perspective on future pricing standards for pc games. This probably applies to console gaming too, but that's for another topic!

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Roris0A

[QUOTE="Roris0A"]ardent163

Maybe that's what's changing :| The whole "nice little package" deal. I suppose now adays games are split into small manageable chunks while keeping prices consistent? lol I'm a bit confused still, but I think your messege gave me all the more perspective on future pricing standards for pc games. This probably applies to console gaming too, but that's for another topic!

I edited my post, I can see that there is something valid about the whole trilogy saga, but it evens out in th end. It's just a matter of choosing your perspective now.

Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts
$30 is my standard. I won't buy any game over that amount... and even then $20 is a looooooooong shot for me. Steam has made me a cheap PC gamer :P
ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ardent163

$30 is my standard. I won't buy any game over that amount... and even then $20 is a looooooooong shot for me. Steam has made me a cheap PC gamer :PCrazyKilljoy117

lol That's awesome. I used to actualy have a limit of $20, before people started disallowing the sale of used pc games in retail stores, every once in a while I'd get a game for my birthday or christmas that was new. You just got me wondering, again, about what exactly standard will mean in terms of pc gaming prices in the future.

sseth672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sseth672
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The way it is in Europe is basically, a game may come out brand-new on the PC for maybe 50 euros. If this game's multiplayer, then chances are you have to snatch it up fast so you can actually get a decent match/co-op online. If it's single-player or lacks any incentive to be played online? Just wait. In a couple of months you will see the game appear in bargain bins, or hugely discounted. Assassin's creed? I can grab it for 5 euros. Medieval II? 6 euros. Even Metro 2033 has dropped to 20 euros already.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I would rather pay $60 for a great game than pay $50 for a mediocre one.......Mafiree

Then why not pick up one of the several games released this year for $50 and under? People on this board make it like you HAVE to buy Starcraft II now. Wait for a sale or price drop but supporting the price at $60 is supporting a bad standard.

sseth672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sseth672

Then why not pick up one of the several games released this year for $50 and under? People on this board make it like you HAVE to buy Starcraft II now. Wait for a sale or price drop but supporting the price at $60 is supporting a bad standard.

Whiteblade999
Maybe they're more concerned with surviving online rather than the excessive price-tag. They need all the time they can get to survive against the Koreans and their damn 400-clicks-a-minute reflexes.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Too me it would depend on how the campaigns are since I don't do multiplayer much. I would hope the campaign is over 20 hours for each. I plan to wait on a price drop for Starcraft 2 if I buy it all, not a big fan of RTS. I'm willing to give it a chance though since the only RTS I've played is Age of Empires.
Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

I don't mind paying some more for the right reason and if it's a game I really want. A higher price might mean more money to the developer for more great games. For multiplatform games though, I will expect the PC version to be cheaper. I'm honestly surprised game prices on all platforms haven't gone up considering inflation has increased more than the prices have, and game development is more expensive than ever too. I honestly wouldn't be too adverse to paying $70 for high quality PC exclusives.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Ohhhhh noooooo 10 dollars?! What will I do without my 10 dollars! I think it's pretty freaking hilarious how stingy PC gamers are. 60 bucks for a great game and some of you won't get it because it's 10 dollars more expensive then usual? Give me a break, it's ridiculous. You can't even buy a pack of good smokes for 10 dollars.

sseth672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sseth672

Ohhhhh noooooo 10 dollars?! What will I do without my 10 dollars! I think it's pretty freaking hilarious how stingy PC gamers are. 60 bucks for a great game and some of you won't get it because it's 10 dollars more expensive then usual? Give me a break, it's ridiculous. You can't even buy a pack of good smokes for 10 dollars.

Prexxus
You're kidding me, what, do you smoke Havana cigars regularly or something? It's our money, we want to get as much as we can with as little as we can.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts
[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

You don't get it black lung, roughly a 20% markup for no apparent reason other than greed is the issue. Console games are $60 cause they have to pay greedy MS and sony, now for the PC there is no manufacturer that takes a cut. And please don't say development costs have gone up, sure maybe they have but not 10's of millions of dollars up. It's not like their company is doing bad financially either, hell I bet they lay off a bunch of SC2 devs in the next few weeks. Do not be fooled Prexxus as these mega corporations are not your friend.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

PC gamers tend to be more forgiving at the $60 price point when it's a PC exclusive made by a developer known for their top-notch quality in games.

Paying $60 for a port is what crawls under many persons skin.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Wast SC1 also priced at $60 when it came out? :? or is my memory fuzzy?
ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
i ordered mine for $55.99 :)
ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ABRed
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

lol, C&C 3 tiberium Wars is 55$ dollar here :? It is not that "recent"... That's a Rip off... oh and Modern Warfare 2 is 65$ lol... It is more expansive than the console version. I think my EBgames is f**ked up...

sseth672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sseth672

lol, C&C 3 tiberium Wars is 55$ dollar here :? It is not that "recent"... That's a Rip off... oh and Modern Warfare 2 is 65$ lol... It is more expansive than the console version. I think my EBgames is f**ked up...

ABRed
You'd be better off finding a deal online, they have to remain competitive with the rest of the global market.
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I don't think 60 dollars is too much at all..

The new map editor alone will provide me with a ridiculous amount of entertainment (from the games people make with it)

Some games are WORTH 60 dollars. I agree that it is rare. I usually buy my games on discount. This is a day one purchase for me. That is how much I respect the quality of blizzard games. Its that simple. I've been waiting since broodwar for this game. Its been a long time.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Id rather pay $50 for a great game then $60 for a great game.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#41 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Anyone here have bought a game ten years ago at $50 would be the equivalent of paying $64. I dont consider a game priced at $60 to be unreasonably high, instead paying for a game at $100 thats something else.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Amazon.com, steam sales.

There are ways of buying these games, (not used) for less than the normal retail price.. It just might take a few months.