How many of you will get a VR Headset in the next 5 - 10 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll How many of you will get a VR Headset in the next 5 - 10 years? (51 votes)

Will get one. 39%
Highly likely will get one. 12%
Likely will get one 12%
Highly unlikely will get one 6%
Unlikely to get one. 14%
Will not get one. 18%

So, I was waiting for AMD's supposedly big announcement last month for their upcoming R9 3XX series GPU release at GDC last month but instead all I got was some VR technology coming out AMD called Liquid VR. Instead of releasing new GPUs, AMD decided to be an idiot or lazy (or both) and decided not to release their GPUs. Frankly, I have zero interest in AMD's new tech. I think AMD is wasting their time and money when they could be using that engineering resources to bring GPUs to market much faster. Why? Because I think VR's are going to be a very, very niche product. They could bring new tech later on. Certainly not now when products hasn't even hit the market. Aside, from my rant, it got me thinking. How many people will actually BUY a VR Headset withing the next 5 - 10 years. Is this technology going to be viable enough to becoming mainstream withing the next 5 - 10 years? I just think it takes away from playing games on your PC screen or having the atmosphere of playing games on the big screen with your friends over (like I have with my PC hooked up to my 60" Plasma).

So, what are you guys thoughts? How many of you will actually buy a VR headset?

• 
Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Chatch09 said:

5-10 years? Im grabbing an Oculus the moment the consumer version is released! Combine that with a DIY 6dof motion platform and Star Citizen and goodbye outside world, we had some good times lol.

could not say it in better way !

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I don't see the appeal. I'd rather have a nice monitor.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I'm preordering Valves/HTCs the second they make it available.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I am too close to my TV at the moment playing games so a VR head set will be even closer :P. Any way tried 3D glasses the other month for first time and after 15mins felt sick. Tried it twice since and never again. Think it be same for VR too. Our bodies arnt meant for it even though it does look and sound cool. If they can make things like this with out feeling sick or anything im in.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Maybe in 10 years time... I don't know. It's hard to say. I don't plan on spending more money on monitors or the like in the next few years anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

yup, likely at launch and later Down the line when a pair that is worth a damn arrives, depending on how well the initial impression of the first batch of VR headsets fare.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I already have a DK2 and I'm going to get the CV1 as soon as it comes out. The DK2 is pretty amazing, but it's not a consumer product and it shows. VR experiences and games designed for VR, however, are pretty amazing even with the development kit.

-Byshop

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Once the consumer version of the Oculus Rift is released I will buy one.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

+1

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I plan on getting the oculus the moment the retail one is out.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

@KHAndAnime said:

+1

A VR headset doesn't really replace a monitor, but it does things that a monitor cannot do. It's more of an accessory, so why not have both?

-Byshop

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@Byshop said:

@insane_metalist said:

@KHAndAnime said:

+1

A VR headset doesn't really replace a monitor, but it does things that a monitor cannot do. It's more of an accessory, so why not have both?

-Byshop

I agree

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Depends on the features and the cost, if VR is going to be the next big thing that every game dev is going to support in their games and it's going to cost about 200$ I might get one.

I also expect to view movies with it and maybe browsing in a next gen way, if you'll say that all of these things are going to happen it's 100% for me to get one.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

In 5-10 years?

Personally I don't even know what I will eat tomorrow, 5 to 10 years is a loooong time to say anything.

But if its like Sword Art Online, then I will buy one too!!! :P

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

If developers utilize it to its full potential I would care. Imagine the 4D experience.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

It's highly likely that I'll get an occulus in the next 5 - 10 years or so. But I'll wait till I have a computer that is powerful enough to handle it and I'll probably also wait for a few user reviews.

Right now though, it's kind of hard to decide how good it is - based on what few reviews I've heard.

I'm also still unsure about the whole controller and game compatibility thing - so we'll wait and see.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@Chatch09 said:

@Coseniath said:

In 5-10 years?

Personally I don't even know what I will eat tomorrow, 5 to 10 years is a loooong time to say anything.

But if its like Sword Art Online, then I will buy one too!!! :P

SAO is true VR, where your consciousness is put into the game. Still about 50 years from that type of VR probably. Gonna be awesome to be a kid in 2065 lol (although mentally, I still probably will be).

Well I read somewhere (proabably I watched it on the news) that scientists do experiments towards this type of VR (since SAO is more based on a tech that messes with your dreams while giving you the ability to wake anytime), but not for entertainment purposes, but for alternative interrogation techniques mostly.

Military as always takes all the good staff. :P

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

Who knows what VR will look like in 5-10 years...

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

I owned a Oculus Rift for a little while.

It was awful.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i will definately get a headset at some stage.

however is there agreed upon standards that will ensure all games that support VR will support VR on any headset? i hope we dont run into a blu-ray vs HD-DVD scenario. i dont want to buy a headset and then find that only some of my games work.

but yes its a very cool idea. a very old one mind but i think we now have the tech to deliver on the idea.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Because it's a lot more fun, immersive, and convenient to do things without big goggles on your face (IMO). Then instead of having to split your money between a monitor and VR unit, you can just get a really nice monitor. It'll probably be a long time before I see VR as anything other than "expensive 3d glasses". Unless I had an unwieldy VR setup with a VR treadmill and VR gun, the VR experience seems too fragmented. Seems like it would be absolutely awful for your eyesight too - I don't think I'd ever be comfortable wearing a screen that close to my face for longer than 15 minutes. Your eyes need to be regularly looking at things at varying distances otherwise you'll damage your eyesight.

And really, I'm not interested in restructuring my interest in games around a gimmicky device. There are simply no games that actually plan to take advantage of it that I find interesting. What's the point in spending a ton of money on a device that limits you to a handful of compatible games? Developers are having a hard enough time creating games that are interesting without relying on the integration of VR to spice up their games. In the majority of games released, VR doesn't feel apt.

Last, but not least - gaming is a social experience for me. I like to drink, get high, and play games with friends. VR completely negates that sort of experience.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Because it's a lot more fun, immersive, and convenient to do things without big goggles on your face (IMO). Then instead of having to split your money between a monitor and VR unit, you can just get a really nice monitor. It'll probably be a long time before I see VR as anything other than "expensive 3d glasses". Unless I had an unwieldy VR setup with a VR treadmill and VR gun, the VR experience seems too fragmented. Seems like it would be absolutely awful for your eyesight too - I don't think I'd ever be comfortable wearing a screen that close to my face for longer than 15 minutes. Your eyes need to be regularly looking at things at varying distances otherwise you'll damage your eyesight.

And really, I'm not interested in restructuring my interest in games around a gimmicky device. There are simply no games that actually plan to take advantage of it that I find interesting. What's the point in spending a ton of money on a device that limits you to a handful of compatible games? Developers are having a hard enough time creating games that are interesting without relying on the integration of VR to spice up their games. In the majority of games released, VR doesn't feel apt.

Last, but not least - gaming is a social experience for me. VR completely negates that.

Have you actually tried an Oculus?

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

No, but you don't need to try one to know the disadvantages of the concept. I know what I want from my game experience - Oculus distracts and detracts from that experience. It's nice that people itching for the immersive-glasses experience get to try it, but the concept of itself just isn't highly desirable to me. In the end, it has all the same problems that I've had with 3D-glasses. It's too focused on escapism. I'm not looking to become one with my videogames. I want to do something cool on the screen - and look over and see whoever I'm playing with react. Once you've lost the ability to do that - I feel like I'm just losing out on the fun.

And honestly the concept is so niche I doubt I'll even get to try it within 5-10 years. Unlike the internet where there are congregations of Oculus fans everywhere, every gamer I've met in person has had nothing but indifference towards the product. If it manages to become popular in 10 years, maybe I'll be able to try someone else's.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Day 1 purchase for me. Sink or swim, I'm trying it out.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

No, but you don't need to try one to know the disadvantages of the concept. I know what I want from my game experience - Oculus distracts and detracts from that experience. It's nice that people itching for the immersive-glasses experience get to try it, but the concept of itself just isn't highly desirable to me. In the end, it has all the same problems that I've had with 3D-glasses. It's too focused on escapism. I'm not looking to become one with my videogames. I want to do something cool on the screen - and look over and see whoever I'm playing with react. Once you've lost the ability to do that - I feel like I'm just losing out on the fun.

And honestly the concept is so niche I doubt I'll even get to try it within 5-10 years. Unlike the internet where there are congregations of Oculus fans everywhere, every gamer I've met in person has had nothing but indifference towards the product. If it manages to become popular in 10 years, maybe I'll be able to try someone else's.

your gamer friends must be stuck somewhere in time then, my gamer friends that i know in real life and on the internets are pretty excited, maybe you're just one of those casuals.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Will this go down the same path as 3D Monitors/Games ???

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime

@commander said:

your gamer friends must be stuck somewhere in time then, my gamer friends that i know in real life and on the internets are pretty excited, maybe you're just one of those casuals.

I don't know - maybe they just think the idea of VR is too nerdy? Or maybe they just don't care about it. My gamer friends don't really live their lives around anticipating upcoming technology, they're kind of more, you know, normal? :P I'm more into upcoming technology than any of my friends, but the Oculus just isn't on my radar at the moment. Especially when I've heard people recently who've used both the Oculus and competing VR sets and claim the Oculus is far behind.

And I don't know if it's an issue of casuality - the Oculus seems to be attracting plenty of attention from casuals with too much money looking to hype the next big fad. Some of these people are more into the idea of VR itself rather actually using VR for gaming or anything specific like that. Duncan Trussell (comedian) is the only person I've heard describe their experience with it (shitting bricks over it), and he seems fairly casual.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I won't get one now but in 5-10 years time I will seriously consider it especially if VR has displayed its true power by that time.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

Yeah, that's the impression I got from your previous post which is why I asked.

As to what you said, I'd say "yes and no". Yes, you can easily identify some of the "on paper" disadvantages of something like this without having tried it, but you cannot assess its overall worth without trying it because ultimately whether or not it's worth getting is based whether those pros outweigh the cons. Now maybe you understand yourself well enough to know that some aspects of how it works to absolutely know that no matter what advantages it might hold and no matter how innovative it is, the fact that it's (for example) wearable tech is a complete deal breaker.

However, whether you turn out to be right about your own reaction to it or not, I think you are doing yourself a disservice by making up your mind about it without ever having even tried it.

But again, it needn't be an "either/or" scenario. I have one Asus Rog Swift, two Dell u2711s, a 1080p native 3D Mitsubishi projector, -and- an Oculus Rift DK2. I use them for different games/applications depending on what fits best for the given application. The applications that tend to be best for the Oculus I find are ones that are designed for it from the ground up, or FPS titles that have play styles that lend themselves to it well.

Even if VR headsets turn out to be the next big thing, I doubt you'll find every Tribes/Counterstrike/DOTA player rushing out to replace their monitors with headsets. That's not the point, but a lot of people react to the idea of VR as though it's supposed to replace high end monitors for gaming. I don't think that's realistic. A lot of hardcore gamers scoffed at the idea of mobile gaming and browser-based gaming because they were simplistic compared to real PC games. However, that didn't stop them from becoming some of the most popular/lucrative types of gaming in the modern climate. They didn't replace the kind of games that I'm sure you and I really enjoy playing, but they became something else that expanded the landscape. Although I doubt VR will have the same degree of penetration as the crazy phenomenon that mobile gaming eventually became (since mobile gaming had the advantage of accessibility and extremely low price point for entry) I do think that this is something that will get added to the landscape and going forward more and more games will be specifically designed for the VR experience. There will be overlap (i.e. games that work well via both VR and using a monitor) but this opens the door for new types of games that don't really exist right now.

But ultimately, what I think of this technology is based on the fact that I've tried it. Frankly, it's astounding. The DK2 is rough, it's a bit heavy, the resolution is low but it's still one of the coolest things I have ever purchased for my PC and I constantly check the Oculus dev community and the curated Steam tag/group for new content.

I also base this on the people who I've strapped this onto. One of which was my father-in-law, who used to be a tech guy but is now retired, lost almost all interest in computers, and now does woodworking for a living. When I showed him my three monitor Obutto cockpit with Force Feedback steering wheel/Saitek HOTAS rig with rudder pedals, he thought it was neat and he appreciated the amount of work and effort that went into it but I could tell it's not something that he has that much personal interest in. However, I let him try the Oculus on my laptop and he was blown away. Even his wife, who was reluctant to try it because she's a bit claustrophobic, thought that it was amazing. Strapping a device to the face of someone who is claustrophobic and having them experience -less- anxiety because the simulation took place outdoors speaks volumes as to how effective the device is at what it does. I even got my god mother to try it, someone with no real interest in tech or games whatsoever. She thought it was one of the coolest things she had ever seen and she wanted to try as many demos as I could find. This is what I base my opinion of the potential this technology can have. Literally everyone I have demoed my Oculus for has been pretty blown away by it (myself included).

Now, that said, if your resources make this an "either/or" between one quality monitor and a VR headset, the monitor is the better choice because it's versatile and works with nearly everything. But, if you can get a decent monitor -and- a VR headset then at least try it before deciding whether or not it's worth the additional money. Like you said, though. Maybe the type of gaming experience that VR is capable of enhancing are the types of gaming experiences you have no interest in and never will. However, I like the full gamut of experiences from my gaming. Flight sims, racing sims, tactical/western/"j" RPGs, arcade-style games like sidescrollers/platformers/rail shooters, fighting games, bizarre indie titles, etc are all game types that I want to explore. One of the best things about PC as a platform is the versatility. Whatever VR is going to become, I want to explore that too.

-Byshop

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I think 3d-goggles are a pain to put on instead of just turning on the monitor and play. So I will most likely not buy a VR-headset.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Plan on owning at least one of the varieties. Specifically for star citizen though.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I plan to pre-order one. Whichever one might suit me, likely either Valve's or OR. I'm not sure why Razer is even working on one but it seems there will be no shortage of VR headsets. I just wonder if all VR games will be universally compatable with all of them or if they require developers code specially for each one. So compatibility with the most games will be important to me if so.

I'm also curious if non VR games can use the headset as a regular monitor? If so does nvidia 3D still work?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Same here!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator

@pimphand_gamer said:

I plan to pre-order one. Whichever one might suit me, likely either Valve's or OR. I'm not sure why Razer is even working on one but it seems there will be no shortage of VR headsets. I just wonder if all VR games will be universally compatable with all of them or if they require developers code specially for each one. So compatibility with the most games will be important to me if so.

I'm also curious if non VR games can use the headset as a regular monitor? If so does nvidia 3D still work?

Right now, I believe they each require special coding although there are some aspects of game development that are universal (like z-buffer). Each headset has its own SDK, partially because they support different features (like the Oculus Consumer Model will have its own audio SDK because it supports 3D audio as well). However, there are also "universal drivers" that you can run in the background that allow you to use even non-VR games with a VR headset. Apps like VorpX, for example.

As for using the headset as a regular monitor, this is something else that may vary my headset. The Oculus DK2 does not because it's a single screen split between two eyes, so you see half the screen with one eye and the other half with the other, both overlapping. However, there's an app called Virtual Desktop for the Oculus that lets you use the headset as multiple monitors. It's not very convenient right now because the DK2's native res is a bit low so text is hard to read, but it can create multiple floating desktops that (to you) look several feet tall. I wouldn't use it for normal work, but it makes launching VR apps easier.

As for Nvidia 3D, not really but again the generic driver apps can use features like this to approximate VR for non-VR titles. There may be some support for this in those.

-Byshop

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#38  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Looks like Occulus will cost more than $200. That means a no go for me. I would rather spend that money on a new GPU.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-rift-will-cost-more-than-200-how-much-would/1100-6427208/

Meanwhile Facebook purchase of Occulus looks to go beyond more than gaming according to Mark Zuckerberg. Makes sense, I could see it being in a wide variety of applications.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Depending which comes first (and if the consumer versions are roughly equal) I'll be grabbing the first VR set that hits the market the second I can. I'm also planning on grabbing Elite with a new HOTAS setup for that express purpose. Really excited about VR although I don't expect it will completely replace normal gaming (monitors). I look at it more like expanding my gaming, kinda like how I have a racing wheel for driving games, controllers for fighting/platforming games, etc.

On a related not if Vavle's/HTC's headset hits the market first that would be a real shame. Oculus I think really deserves the credit here but if they get beat to market I think that would be a huge mistake for them.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm definitely interested in buying a VR headset for Star Citizen & Elite although I see it as a potential gamble; who knows whether it'll make you nauseous or if you'll just end up taking it for granted after a while? I will see if I can try it out somehow before I buy.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I will probably pass on the VR for awhile... I wear glasses, and these types of setups are never comfortable for glasses wearers.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I might get the first gen VR only because I feel like it might be a collector's item 10 years from now and I might recoop what I spend

In all seriousness, I know I shouldn't buy any first gen products of anything. I am so torn.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#44 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Maybe on the second revision of VR I might buy. Right now for example games like Project Cars have shadows disabled if playing with a Rift. This is unacceptable, though understanding since VR hasn't become final yet. But if they don't fix these things ready for release then VR could just turn into another fad for a while. Using VR you shouldn't have to lose any graphical options in the game. This problem still exists with 3D Vision and 3D gaming. If I had a choice between VR with lesser graphics, or everything at Ultra on a big screen, I would choose the latter.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Moved

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I currently don't have any interest VR at the moment. From a marketing standpoint that damn thing must be a nightmare to promote.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

I'd really need to try before I buy but I've heard the experience can be pretty amazing when done correctly. I'll probably wait for 2nd gen units at least and maybe even wireless versions would be pretty sweet for moving watching in bed.