Good controllers to use for PC fighting games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

Despite the fact that I've been primarily a PC gamer for years now, I'm finding it difficult to use the keyboard for Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (sold on GOG), and I was wondering what controllers people tend to use for fighting games on the PC. I don't want to use an arcade pad for reasons of cost and unfamiliarity, just FYI.

So far, it looks like the Sega Saturn USB controller (6 face buttons and presumably two shoulder buttons) is a favorite. Is this impression correct, and would you recommend said controller, or another? Also, please include a URL to a reliable seller of whatever controller you recommend (Saturn controller included).

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Some games are better with a gamepad, just like some games are better with mouse and keybaord, and other are better with a wheel or a joystick. The only people that don't seem to understand this are console gamers who think everything is optimally played wiht a gamepad.

For the PC, I'd recommend an Xbox controller. If you have a wired one, that'll work. If you ahve a wireless one you cna buy a USB adapter from Amazon for $20 that supports up to 4 on one machine. Or you cna buy an Xbox controller for windows controller from Amazon ro bestbuy, what have you (but they are pricey at around $50). They feature the best compatability right out fo the box with most PC games.

Thing is, the dPad on an xbox controller kind of sucks, so you might want to try a third party variant, like the ones from Razer. They have the better Dpads.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
You could refer to the post(bottom of page) I made in this thread: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29292921/best-controller-for-pc-gamingconsole-ports If for whatever reason you must have a controller then stick with the Sega Saturn USB. Whatever you do, don't use a regular X360/PS3 controller if you want to play fighting games, they're over priced and worse than the Saturn controller in this case.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
ps3 controller is nice sega saturn controller though get to be sega and pc? get that immedietely
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zubinen
You could also consider this: http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-Street-Fighter-Tekken-FightPad/dp/B006ZTHGDO/ but at that price point you may as well get this unless you really must use a controller: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Arcade-Fighting-Joystick-Playstation-3/dp/B0015PHMFU/
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
that saturn controller does look nice, I must say,
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Despite the fact that I've been primarily a PC gamer for years now, I'm finding it difficult to use the keyboard for Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (sold on GOG), and I was wondering what controllers people tend to use for fighting games on the PC. I don't want to use an arcade pad for reasons of cost and unfamiliarity, just FYI.

So far, it looks like the Sega Saturn USB controller (6 face buttons and presumably two shoulder buttons) is a favorite. Is this impression correct, and would you recommend said controller, or another? Also, please include a URL to a reliable seller of whatever controller you recommend (Saturn controller included).

Angry_Beaver

The Saturn USB controller is, indeed, the absolute best one to use for 2D games and fighting games. Though the next best thing is the Genesis 6 button USB controller. If you can't find one for a reasonable price, then get the other. I don't know any site from which to buy except ebay and amazon.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

for Fighting Games? Get an Xbox 360 Fightstick.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Sega Saturn controller is king IMO. PS3 controller might suffice if you want more flexibility but it won't be as good for fighting games.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
where did all the sega fans come from
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Angry_Beaver

What about something from Logitech? The Sega Saturn USB controllers I'm finding on ebay and Amazon (from Gtron and Retro-Link) aren't getting reviews I'm very comfortable with. The build quality seems spotty (though better than on some off-brand Gamecube controllers I have!). Logitech has good-looking controllers that are in the DualShock line style, which of course have four face buttons. For Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, which is the only fighter I currently plan on playing on PC, there are only four primary attack functions, so such a controller might work fine. The fifth attack function could easily be relegated to a shoulder button.

Alternatively, I do happen to have one old, 6-button Genesis controller that I could buy a USB adapter for, but I have no idea how good of a condition the controller is in. I thought of said controller after seeing the same model, Sega-branded, on Amazon. It's easier to find a Sega-branded Genesis controller than a Saturn controller, it seems.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

ps3 controller is nice sega saturn controller though get to be sega and pc? get that immedietelyJigglyWiggly_

yea thats sounds like a good idea...

when i need to use a pad i use a ps3 one tho cos its all i have... works ok tho

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]ps3 controller is nice sega saturn controller though get to be sega and pc? get that immedietelyundeadgoon

yea thats sounds like a good idea...

when i need to use a pad i use a ps3 one tho cos its all i have... works ok tho

i just like the ps3 controller for pc because it's bluetooth also great for platformers xbox 360 controller is pretty meh for that stuff
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zubinen

What about something from Logitech? The Sega Saturn USB controllers I'm finding on ebay and Amazon (from Gtron and Retro-Link) aren't getting reviews I'm very comfortable with. The build quality seems spotty (though better than on some off-brand Gamecube controllers I have!). Logitech has good-looking controllers that are in the DualShock line style, which of course have four face buttons. For Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, which is the only fighter I currently plan on playing on PC, there are only four primary attack functions, so such a controller might work fine. The fifth attack function could easily be relegated to a shoulder button.

Alternatively, I do happen to have one old, 6-button Genesis controller that I could buy a USB adapter for, but I have no idea how good of a condition the controller is in. I thought of said controller after seeing the same model, Sega-branded, on Amazon. It's easier to find a Sega-branded Genesis controller than a Saturn controller, it seems.

Angry_Beaver
I have two Sega Saturn usb controllers I bought from Amazon, I bought a second just because it's so cheap but both are still in the same condition as when I got them, I really don't think the build quality is an issue unless you're slamming your controller everywhere which apparently is something a lot of people do, the shape and size of the Sega Saturn controller is ideal for fighting games, if you must have dual analog then use this: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ Also if you like fighting games I highly recommend Blazblue for PC, it's more of an enthusiast game akin to Street Fighter 3rd Strike and it has cross platform play, pick it up especially if you see it on one of those GFWL sales.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Angry_Beaver

Oh, I definitely want BlazBlue. I frequently watched my roommate in my college dorm play it on his PS3, and it looked like great fun. The only reason I haven't considered it so far is that it uses GFWL. I have plenty of games on Steam, but I'm thinking of trying to wean myself off of games with DRM as much as possible. Still, BlazBlue is... very... tempting....

Which Saturn pads would you endorse that are cheaper than the lowest-priced arcade stick you'd be willing to endorse? As long as I'm not buying absolute crap, I think I'll opt for something really cheap, until I figure out if the fighting genre is for me. I don't care to sink much money into something I'll only use for a brief period of time, after all.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zubinen

Oh, I definitely want BlazBlue. I frequently watched my roommate in my college dorm play it on his PS3, and it looked like great fun. The only reason I haven't considered it so far is that it uses GFWL. I have plenty of games on Steam, but I'm thinking of trying to wean myself off of games with DRM as much as possible. Still, BlazBlue is... very... tempting....

Which Saturn pads would you endorse that are cheaper than the lowest-priced arcade stick you'd be willing to endorse? As long as I'm not buying absolute crap, I think I'll opt for something really cheap, until I figure out if the fighting genre is for me. I don't care to sink much money into something I'll only use for a brief period of time, after all.

Angry_Beaver
GFWL in this case is what facilitates the cross platform play for BlazBlue, the value gained from cross platform play for a fighting game is far greater than the value lost from it using GFWL even for the most extreme anti-drm folks. Also Street Fighter IV, arguably the best 2D fighting game to date, uses GFWL but that doesn't stop it from running well on PC on max settings while looking much prettier than the console version. Anyway this is the controller I'd recommend, as long as you don't toss it around and bang it on your table, etc. you'll have a good time with it: http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Saturn-Classic-Controller-White-Pc/dp/B002BFIPAY
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Angry_Beaver

I'll definitely try out that Saturn pad! If I have a good time with Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, I'll probably go ahead and get BlazBlue, and then maybe try an arcade stick. Many thanks for all the recommendations, Zubinen! :)

Thanks to everyone else, as well!

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

For fighting games, a good joystick can be pricy, but I think the PS3 controller is the best choice when it comes to fighting games thanks to the aligned analog sticks and responsive D-pad. An Xbox 360 controller can also be used, but the D-Pad is horse crap so you'll have to be someone who is a genie with analog sticks when some moves require specific directional inputs. The triggers make it better for shooters then the PS3 controller if you feel like kicking back and using it for a shooting game, but with fighting games I'd say either a joystick or PS3 controller are your best bets.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zubinen

For fighting games, a good joystick can be pricy, but I think the PS3 controller is the best choice when it comes to fighting games thanks to the aligned analog sticks and responsive D-pad. An Xbox 360 controller can also be used, but the D-Pad is horse crap so you'll have to be someone who is a genie with analog sticks when some moves require specific directional inputs. The triggers make it better for shooters then the PS3 controller if you feel like kicking back and using it for a shooting game, but with fighting games I'd say either a joystick or PS3 controller are your best bets.

SPYDER0416
Anything without 6 face buttons is a no go for fighting games.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Zubinen

Anything without 6 face buttons is a no go for fighting games.

I mentioned joysticks, but I should have clarified I specifically meant arcade fighting sticks.

That said, they are pretty pricey so a decent controller can do wonders.

norolim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 norolim
Member since 2005 • 133 Posts

I heard this one is pretty good:

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Angry_Beaver

Ok, I'm thinking I'll probably go back on what I said earlier and get a stick for the sake of longevity and starting off "right". I can't afford much, but what I'm thinking about now is getting that $30-$40 Mayflash stick you linked to in this thread, Zubinen, and modding it later, probably with Sanwa parts, when its parts fail or get bad enough. Does this sound like a good plan?

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zubinen

Ok, I'm thinking I'll probably go back on what I said earlier and get a stick for the sake of longevity and starting off "right". I can't afford much, but what I'm thinking about now is getting that $30-$40 Mayflash stick you linked to in this thread, Zubinen, and modding it later, probably with Sanwa parts, when its parts fail or get bad enough. Does this sound like a good plan?

Angry_Beaver
Yes, if you're serious about fighting games get the Mayaflash stick, it can be fully modded with Sanwa parts in the future and it's what I used previously on my PS3(since my Mad Catz TE stick only worked with PC/X360), within a day or two of using it you'll easily experience the difference, the precision of movement opens a new door in your brain :)
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Angry_Beaver

Just ordered the Mayflash stick and, hopefully not naively, BlazBlue for PC. Now I'm reading that there were lots of bugs in the PC port and that Arc System Works wants to "forget the port ever happened" because of that and the PC sales numbers. Does anyone here know anything about the bugginess of the BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger PC port? I'm a little concerned.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zubinen

Just ordered the Mayflash stick and, hopefully not naively, BlazBlue for PC. Now I'm reading that there were lots of bugs in the PC port and that Arc System Works wants to "forget the port ever happened" because of that and the PC sales numbers. Does anyone here know anything about the bugginess of the BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger PC port? I'm a little concerned.

Angry_Beaver
The game runs fine for me, I've had more issues with Team Fortress 2 constantly displaying the message "HL2.exe has stopped working". Feel free to post how things go with the Mayaflash stick, I'd prefer it for just about any game with 2D movement. Also feel free to check this out: http://mamedev.org/
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Angry_Beaver

What I'm getting from the MAME site is that it's only legitimately for the old games that the site has legally downloadable ROMs of. Is that correct?

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zubinen

What I'm getting from the MAME site is that it's only legitimately for the old games that the site has legally downloadable ROMs of. Is that correct?

Angry_Beaver
Alternatively do a web search for "MAME roms".
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

Zubinen

wow ur so lucky i deleted a quote of ur old post
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zubinen
[QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

JigglyWiggly_

wow ur so lucky i deleted a quote of ur old post

It's not like I'm linking anything directly, plus these are extremely old games.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Mad Catz arcade joystick is pretty bad ass. Check out this site: http://streetfighter.gameshark.com/
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Angry_Beaver

The Mayflash stick and BlazBlue were just delivered! smile.gif I'm not sure how good this stick is, though. How wobbly should it be, you think? This is the first time I've used a stick for fighting games, but I'm thinking it would probably be easier to do double-taps in the same direction with a d-pad than with this stick, anyway -- not sure about sticks in general. I'm a bit worried about not being able to consistently or quickly do air dashes and running/ground dashing.

On a slightly less important note, is there any particular button-mapping configuration you would recommend? For example, "map the 360's A button onto the stick's 1 button".

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zubinen

The Mayflash stick and BlazBlue were just delivered! smile.gif I'm not sure how good this stick is, though. How wobbly should it be, you think? This is the first time I've used a stick for fighting games, but I'm thinking it would probably be easier to do double-taps in the same direction with a d-pad than with this stick, anyway -- not sure about sticks in general. I'm a bit worried about not being able to consistently or quickly do air dashes and running/ground dashing.

On a slightly less important note, is there any particular button-mapping configuration you would recommend? For example, "map the 360's A button onto the stick's 1 button".

Angry_Beaver
You can set it up as you like but the most intuitive(and certainly sufficient) layout is probably 1->A, 2-> B, 3->RT, 4->LT, 5->X, 6->Y, 7->RB, 8->LB. Expect it to take some practice, what is lost in ease of use is gained in precision of movement. I personally like to hold my stick like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTSY-mgUqE&t=16s