ghost recon: phantoms is a hidden gem...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

never heard of it until i saw a post at IGN about it. its on steam, F2P without really being P2W.... and best of all it is actually fun.

gameplay is sort of like the old rainbow 6 games where taking it slow and having tactics actually pay off. you cannot COD this game unless you wanna just die constantly. getting good cover, knowing when to move to cover, and having solid aim go a long way.

you do get credits to buy new items pretty slow.... but really, you dont need to upgrade guns constantly, and the higher tier guns arent "better"... just different. from my experience so far, you basically find the gun you perform best with, kit it out with all kinds of attachments, and then just use that. save your credits for buying grenades or new tactical vests or something...

anyhow, game seems criminally underplayed right now so i thought i would share a bit about it with folks. play if you want....or dont, and miss out on some good old fashion tactical shooting fun.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I've been playing and I like it, except for the outdated matchmaking system. Its not designed for smaller communities of players such as Australia and other countries that aren't the US or Asia. So for me the majority of matches I play will have a slight delay in the shooting, but thankfully it's tolerable.

So everything else with the game is fine and it is fun :)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Hidden gem? I doubt it, I was playing it from the beta and the game is quite fun but nothing too special, people take advantage of exploits.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Yeah I decided to try it out after getting a bit bored of BF4 and I have to say it is a great little game so far. Match making is the worst thing about it but that is about it really. The game looks nice for what it is, the hit-reg is miles beyond BF4 and makes that game look silly. It really reminds me of MGSO and I loved that game. Sure it had its flaws but it felt different to whatever else is out there. A bit like Brute Force. I just hope there are more maps and it is expanded on.

The subscription price is a bit heavy though, if it were half price of what is currently is I may be more interested but to ask 80 euros a year as their "cheapest" option just seems too much. Atleast for what there is at the moment.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cyloninside

@o0squishy0o said:

Yeah I decided to try it out after getting a bit bored of BF4 and I have to say it is a great little game so far. Match making is the worst thing about it but that is about it really. The game looks nice for what it is, the hit-reg is miles beyond BF4 and makes that game look silly. It really reminds me of MGSO and I loved that game. Sure it had its flaws but it felt different to whatever else is out there. A bit like Brute Force. I just hope there are more maps and it is expanded on.

The subscription price is a bit heavy though, if it were half price of what is currently is I may be more interested but to ask 80 euros a year as their "cheapest" option just seems too much. Atleast for what there is at the moment.

have you gotten past the training ranks? after lvl 8 a ton more maps open up. i think the game was pretty repetitive before lvl 8, but after with all the different maps i like it a lot more.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I played it when it was Ghost Recon Online and it was an ok game... the lag for me made it unplayable though (Australia), so I had to give up on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I have to disagree. Played it at PAX and at most it was a polished turd.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I played it a decent amount this week and grew to hate it. I like the general concept, but the maps play like they were designed by a blindfolded monkey and the cover mechanics are clunky as hell.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Played a little, hated the shooting mechanics and the maps were just awful. Interface a bit of a mess, just didn't seem fun which is interesting because usually F2P games have that cheap fun element early.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I played it for 4 hours according to steam and I have no interest in continue to play it.

Want to know a true gem?... Tribes Ascend, seriously one of the best FPS's around and its free not pay to win.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

All thats missing is Splitscreen ! :)

Skyriderlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skyriderlink
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts

the shooting still lack impact , i feel like shooting water guns

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I installed, played a couple of hours and uninstalled lol. The controls feel horrible to me. Especially during cover.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@o0squishy0o said:

have you gotten past the training ranks? after lvl 8 a ton more maps open up. i think the game was pretty repetitive before lvl 8, but after with all the different maps i like it a lot more.

Probably not then! Look forward to more of the maps :) The maps so far are not bad, I think design wise they are pretty solid. They are nothing special but they are certainly good solid levels.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Just played a good chuck of it....and I'm really liking it. Much better than GR:O was and I enjoyed my time with.

You need a good bunch of buddies to play though. Game is pretty tactics based and you can't really play tactics with randoms.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cyloninside

@ShadowDeathX said:

Just played a good chuck of it....and I'm really liking it. Much better than GR:O was and I enjoyed my time with.

You need a good bunch of buddies to play though. Game is pretty tactics based and you can't really play tactics with randoms.

with friends it is certainly better.... but i have found that random matches have quite a lot of people using voice chat and it is easy to organize. i dont think lack of friends playing should be a barrier to anyone enjoying this game.

as to the comments about controls.... i dunno what to tell people. movement is traditional FPS fair. go into or out of cover with spacebar... press wasd for the direction you want to pop out of.... i dont see how it could be any easier.

i think todays gamers are just used to COD controls and guns with no recoil. GR:P has significant recoil with its guns.... so basically you cannot just full auto rambo every situation. you actually have to take time to aim, and fire in bursts, or you arent going to hit squat. clearly from the posts in this thread that is too much to handle for a lot of people.

i guess its a good thing they were too young to game during the days of the original ghost recon and rainbow 6 games.... rainbow 6 vegas was not the first rainbow 6 game younguns...

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

The reviews seem to be pretty positive on this game according to steam. I might have to check this out....

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I'm surprised this many people have played the game. However I do get this feeling that the devs treated the game as JUST a free-to-play game.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I played around 15 hours of it and I assure you I was impressed and I did enjoy myself. But once I leave the beginners rank and gain access to the All Player Matchmaking part of the game, I got my A** handed to me. The players I got matched with seemed like they were veterans, with them knowing all the choke points and ambush spots. Also them having guns that I didn't even know existed real ticked me the wrong way.

Since then. I rage quited and uninstalled the game. Its real my flaw and the game is probably good if I learned the ins and outs of it.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#20 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts
@blangenakker said:

I'm surprised this many people have played the game. However I do get this feeling that the devs treated the game as JUST a free-to-play game.

Indeed they did - the Ghost Recon label is there, but its gameplay is nothing like the first few Ghost Recon games.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@Gelugon_baat said:
@blangenakker said:

Indeed they did - the Ghost Recon label is there, but its gameplay is nothing like the first few Ghost Recon games.

says the guy that wasnt even alive when the first ghost recon games were released.

ghost recon phantoms may not be exactly the same... but it does play very tactically. and the recoil/shooting mechanics are very similar.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gelugon_baat
@Geminon said:

says the guy that wasnt even alive when the first ghost recon games were released.

Yet how would you know this? Perhaps this is -yet- one of more of your presumptions about other people?

@Geminon said:

ghost recon phantoms may not be exactly the same... but it does play very tactically. and the recoil/shooting mechanics are very similar.

Where's your elaboration for "very tactically" and "very similar", really?

I, for one, know that Ghost Recon: Phantoms doesn't have gameplay where the player needs to direct AI-controlled squads around to place them in strategic positions in a map, or jump from soldier to soldier in order to possess him.

Also, since both happen to have guns and such, it would be convenient for you to mention the shooting mechanism in either game, wouldn't it? It's not like either game is the first to have such "recoil/shooting mechanics", when there are contemporaries such as Operation Flashpoint and ArmA.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Geminon

@Gelugon_baat said:
@Geminon said:

Yet how would you know this? Perhaps this is -yet- one of more of your presumptions about other people?

@Geminon said:

Where's your elaboration for "very tactically" and "very similar", really?

I, for one, know that Ghost Recon: Phantoms doesn't have gameplay where the player needs to direct AI-controlled squads around to place them in strategic positions in a map, or jump from soldier to soldier in order to possess him.

Also, since both happen to have guns and such, it would be convenient for you to mention the shooting mechanism in either game, wouldn't it? It's not like either game is the first to have such "recoil/shooting mechanics", when there are contemporaries such as Operation Flashpoint and ArmA.

gelugon, i know that reading is hard due to your reduced brain capacity, but GD man.

literally, NO WHERE in my post did i mention anything about AI controlled partners, or that GR:P had them, or anything like them. i said that the gameplay is tactical and the shooting mechanics are similar. where you got the bit about controlling AI.... i dont even.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gelugon_baat

@Geminon said:

gelugon, i know that reading is hard due to your reduced brain capacity, but GD man.

Yeah, yeah, sure - same old, same old presumptuous statements from you again.

I suppose that you have yet to realize these kinds of replies from you won't stop me from questioning your opinions and pouring doubt on them.

@Geminon said:

literally, NO WHERE in my post did i mention anything about AI controlled partners, or that GR:P had them, or anything like them. i said that the gameplay is tactical and the shooting mechanics are similar. where you got the bit about controlling AI.... i dont even.

Indeed, you didn't mention that - you also didn't mention anything else either. Like I have said, all you had are weasel words, which you have repeated without any further elaboration - again.

With that said, I doubt that you have even played the original Ghost Recon.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Geminon

@Gelugon_baat said:

@Geminon said:

Yeah, yeah, sure - same old, same old presumptuous statements from you again.

I suppose that you have yet to realize these kinds of replies from you won't stop me from questioning your opinions and pouring doubt on them.

@Geminon said:

Indeed, you didn't mention that - you also didn't mention anything else either. Like I have said, all you had are weasel words, which you have repeated without any further elaboration - again.

With that said, I doubt that you have even played the original Ghost Recon.

lol "didnt even play the original". good jokes. like i said, you probably werent even born yet soooo.... ill do you one better, i probably put hundreds of hours into Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear multiplayer when it first came out.

how buttmad are you right now, since you were wrong?

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gelugon_baat

@Geminon said:

lol "didnt even play the original". good jokes. like i said, you probably werent even born yet soooo.... ill do you one better, i probably put hundreds of hours into Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear multiplayer when it first came out.

how buttmad are you right now, since you were wrong?

Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear is not the original Ghost Recon.

Did you play the original Ghost Recon? If you can say that, then you can say that my doubts were wrong.