Yugioh vs. Magic: The Gathering

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Game__Raider
Member since 2006 • 4619 Posts

So a few weeks ago me and my friends started poker night and this one guys house. One night someone mentioned Yugioh and Magic the Gathering and they used to play when they were younger those games. I never really played them but every time now after we are done playing poker the split up and some play magic some play yugioh. I was wondering which one is more fun to play cause I was thinking about buying one of the decks so i can jump in and play sometimes instead of watching. Which did you like better?

Avatar image for deactivated-6224e9178325f
deactivated-6224e9178325f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 deactivated-6224e9178325f
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

I liked Yugioh years back

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Pokemon cards.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#4 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Yugioh is easier to play but Magic has far more strategy involved.

Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Game__Raider

I liked Yugioh years back

-Russ93

Yea I was thinking doing this because I know some of this already. i did play the GBA games when i was like 10.

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
I loved Yugioh years ago, and recently (I am pretty sure they stopped) WoTC offered two free starter decks for MTG so I have two decks of that and I am hoping to learn about the game.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts

I used to like Yu-Gi-Oh, the cards had pretty pictures. Maybe that's why I used to collect them. :P Magic never interested me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
MtG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever other card game you want to talk about.
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
MtG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever other card game you want to talk about.Jandurin
Basically this. I remember playing MtG back in 4th grade. Never played Yugi-Hoe though.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
No poll? MTG is way more fun to play than all the rest
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

MtG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever other card game you want to talk about.Jandurin

Agreed. Who is ready for the ridiculusness that is m10? Lightning bolt FTW

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Guybrush_3

I loved Yugioh years ago, and recently (I am pretty sure they stopped) WoTC offered two free starter decks for MTG so I have two decks of that and I am hoping to learn about the game.ATKisNeat

they do that every once in a while but they run out of them almost immediately every time.

marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

im 16 and play yugioh still...magic may be the original but its too hard and the monsters are weird

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

im 16 and play yugioh still...magic may be the original but its too hard and the monsters are weird

marluxia101
go, blue eyed cold dragon! go jetroid! At least Magic uses cards like Ornithopter and Colossus and Juggernaut and White/Black Knight and Bog Wraith and Zombie Master and real/cool monsters >_>
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Guybrush_3

marluxia101

How are the monsters weird? For the most part they are based on traditional western fantasy archetypes.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I played both, and MTG was by far the better game for these reasons:

1. The limitations in Yu-Gi-Oh were horrible. There were a lot of restricted cards, and now a lot of them are banned. In Magic, the only banned cards from all formats are ones that actually make you bet cards. While there are a lot of restricted cards, it's only for tournament sanctioned play, and also taking into consideration that Magic has been around for over 15 years.

2. In Yu-Gi-Oh (at least when I played) you basically needed certain cards to win, or to make you better. In Magic, you can win with a deck of all commons, even in tournaments.

3. Magic has A LOT more cards.

4. Magic has insane amounts of combos.

5. Magic is a little more involved. Yu-Gi-Oh is an easy game to pick up and an easy game to master. Magic involves a lot more, where it's a little harder to get into and to fully understand, but once you do, you'll see how much more it actually offers.

6. The MOST important of them all...Magic's art work BLOWS Yu-Gi-Oh's out of the water.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
MTG is far better. Requires more strategy and thinking your deck. There is no "must have card", while most YGO decks have recurrently used cards. MTG has many many more cards and ways to create decks and theme them: A specific kind of creature, base on slow attacks, quick kills or even deck out the opponent. YGO cant make all those things. In short, yeah, MTG is far better. Besides the artwork is FAr superior to those anime-like drawings...
AustXilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 AustXilo
Member since 2007 • 904 Posts

People actually enjoy playing Yu-Gi-Oh!? M:TG is where it's at. All bow to M:TG.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
MTG rocks
Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Game__Raider

The only thing about MTG is I have more friends that play Yugioh and the dudes with MTG don't show up often enough. So I might go for Yugioh cause more people I know play it and I don't feel like entering tourneys so MTG otherwise might be a waster than to look at the pretty pictures haha. I have looked on several different sites and google'd it but can't find pricing for decks. I know booster packs for MTG/YGO are like $3.99 for 15 cards and decks are like what maybe $20. Anyways is it better to just get like 3-4 booster packs for $16-18 dollars or is a starter deck imperative to have when starting a new game. If so which MTG/YGO deck do you all recommend to start off?

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

MTG. Its still running strong after all these years.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
Pokemon cards.xTheExploited
bingo..but i tried to get into yugioh..BUT IT WAS NOTHING LIKE THE SHOW...
TehXenoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TehXenoz
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

Magic:The Gathering is prolly a better idea to get into...its like the best card game ever, one of the original trading card games, and it still had a big fan base after more than 15 years....

I have a collection of like 10000 cards, and I'm still collecting.

The cards end up worth a lot of money too, in case you ever eant to just collect.

MTG FTW!

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Guybrush_3

The only thing about MTG is I have more friends that play Yugioh and the dudes with MTG don't show up often enough. So I might go for Yugioh cause more people I know play it and I don't feel like entering tourneys so MTG otherwise might be a waster than to look at the pretty pictures haha. I have looked on several different sites and google'd it but can't find pricing for decks. I know booster packs for MTG/YGO are like $3.99 for 15 cards and decks are like what maybe $20. Anyways is it better to just get like 3-4 booster packs for $16-18 dollars or is a starter deck imperative to have when starting a new game. If so which MTG/YGO deck do you all recommend to start off?

Game__Raider

buying and opening just a few packs is usually a waste of money for someone who doesn't have a lot of cards. The easiest way to get a deck is to one of the precon decks and buy singles to add too it. I made a really good casual deck for less than $30 like that.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Yu-Gi-Oh! FTW
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Magic the Gathering by default. It was the only card game I knew of when I was younger.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Pokemon cards.Chris_Williams
bingo..but i tried to get into yugioh..BUT IT WAS NOTHING LIKE THE SHOW...

A friend of mine told me that the rules in the show are not the same as the rules in real life. Either that or they cheat like crazy. I've played yugioh like twice ever and only seen the show a handful of times so I wouldn't really know.

FreezeBreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FreezeBreak
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I never really got into Magic.
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Magic: The Gathering. I wasn't really that good at it, but I had loads of fun playing it. I hated Yugioh though. What about Pokemon? :(:P
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
I've played both - Yugioh is more widespread so you'll find more people to play with but I enjoyed Magic The Gathering far more because there were no hidden surprises, traps and "**** you I win" cards. Yugioh was more down to luck I found...
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

WHen i was younger i used to play pokemon cards, but it started to get boring then i never touched them anymore.

I never played any other, except yugi-oh, but not the real cards, i played them on a championship game.

If the real thing was like the game, then surely, the show is not like the real thing. Its funny how in the show, they always have the right card for the right time.

I`ve seen a few friends playing magic before, but could never get into it.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

go, blue eyed cold dragon! go jetroid! At least Magic uses cards like Ornithopter and Colossus and Juggernaut and White/Black Knight and Bog Wraith and Zombie Master and real/cool monsters >_>Jandurin

If a card game doesn't let you kill your opponent with this:

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

then why even bother playing it? :P

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

yugioh is super special awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The trouble with Pokemon cards is that those who use them have a high incidence of being wedgied. Dangerous game.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Yu gi oh gets all the ladeez 8). There is nothing hotter then beating someone in a children's card game.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

Never tried MTG, I am downloading the game on xbox right now, but I was big on yugioh. I was a collector. I even earned money by selling certain cards that were either rare or to complete their deck to people. Sadly I put that money to more cards. I was obsessed. I still will buy the occasional pack but I put the obsession behind me. I am in college and a lot of people still play it. There are campus groups that do nothing but yugioh. Same thing goes for MTG and D&D. I put my vote to yugioh.

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
Yu gi oh. I've seen people play magic and I don't get it nor do I care of it. yugioh kicks ass
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

I played Yu-gi-oh and Magic when I was younger. Heck I still play Magic sometimes today.

Playing both competitively, I can say that Magic takes alot more skill and strategy and is more balanced. But it is alot more complicated and can be a bit intimidating for newcomers.

Yu-gi-oh was pretty simple (can't speak for any recent things that might of come out) and easy to understand, but lacked balance. Really didn't give me any reason to play around with certain cards as they were just strictly inferior. Most of the stuff that came out of a pack of cards was completetly unplayable besides the rare cards. It seemed to me like it was stritcly a money grab type of game. It basically was a game where the monster with the highest power wins.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Yu-Gi-Oh was awesome. As it evlved and got more cards there was a lot more strategy involved with truckloads of different decks you could assemble. I never collected them that much though, I'd usually play online or on my PSP.

Magic the Gathering, well it did interest me. There is a lot more to it than YuGiOh that's for sure. Me and my little sister got a starter pack which had 2 decks and we were able to get a WHOLE BOX of boosters for just £1 on Amazon. Sick deal. We only played it once. That was the problem with Yu-Gi-Oh too. We never had anyone to play it with. So we both stopped.

Kularic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kularic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have only ever played Yugioh and i love collecting cards and making powerful decks. I have not much experience with magic but it also sounds fun.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Yu-Gi-Oh for the pure reason in that it was much easier to pick up and play. MTG is too time-consuming. Also good luck actually knowing someone who plays it
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Guybrush_3

Yu-Gi-Oh for the pure reason in that it was much easier to pick up and play. MTG is too time-consuming. Also good luck actually knowing someone who plays itice144

There are millions of magic players... Unlike yugioh most of them are adults. (at least most competitive players are adults)

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
MTG is the bigger card game but the only card game I played was Pokemon. I used to play it with my cousin alot. I miss it in some ways.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I played Magic in high school. It was really fun...Very complex. I remember one guy who played who said he used his lunch money to buy cards...He was really good and had very good cards.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Magic the Gathering is superior to Yu-Gi-Oh, but in the end, the best card games are "Call of Cthulhu" and "Game of Thrones" from FantasyFlight. :)
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Guybrush_3

Magic the Gathering is superior to Yu-Gi-Oh, but in the end, the best card games are "Call of Cthulhu" and "Game of Thrones" from FantasyFlight. :)Lockedge

I've never played Game of Thrones but Call of Cthulhu is fantastic. You should try Assension.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]Magic the Gathering is superior to Yu-Gi-Oh, but in the end, the best card games are "Call of Cthulhu" and "Game of Thrones" from FantasyFlight. :)Guybrush_3

I've never played Game of Thrones but Call of Cthulhu is fantastic. You should try Assension.

I'm slowly working on compiling playable decks of numerous games, for whenever my friends get bored. I'm about done with GoT for the moment, so I very well might look to Ascension. :) It looks rather interesting as well :o
teck157713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 teck157713
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts

Come on?! In this generation is all about video games! Seriously I give all my cards away to my friend...Card games were refers as 10 years old kid.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Magic is definitely the bigger game, but i preferred Yugioh, it had a show and was more engaging at the age..
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
i always did like yugioh more i felt like i stood more of a chance as when you hit a certain level player in magic it is almost hopeless to even try and win. sure you can kind of say the same about yugioh but there isnt that massive unconquerable gap.