Would you die for your country, if it was under attack?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
No.. I am under the impression that there are trained profesionals to deal with such situations.
Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#202 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
No one ever won a war by dying for their country. They won it by making the other bastard die for his.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
In a worst comes to worst situation. it's a scary thought.
GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 GTALoco
Member since 2004 • 2945 Posts

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]NO! I will never defend my country ever. I don't even like this country anymore and want to leave ASAP!MoonMarvel
Is it because of Obama? That's a poor attitude to have. I'd still take a bullet for him or for the USA if I had to.

Why waste your life? What reason to you even think that america even deserves it? What has it done to ever have earned the honor to expect its people to die for it? And don't give me that! Liberals would cry the same if McCain won so save it.

lmao. Your posts always make give me a good chuckle.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#205 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

1. I believe in community effort and I believe its needed to have people work together to improved quality of life but to think nation states have been built on any other spine other then pure power acquisition ia uneducated and naive. So whats our job? Our job is to try and get the power brokers to do whats right now and again and try to avoid the fall out when they try to pull a fast one on us. Oh and by the way, one of the first rules of power brokering is to convince those you want to rule that its their choice and that you are doing them a favor when in fact its anything but. So why do I think its not a good idea to protect those who rule over me without a real honest choice otherwise? Becuase I know better.

2. People who lie should be held accountable. NOT the people who believed the lie. [this is restating a point from another post that I just feel is needed to say as many times as I possibily can even if its not in context]

3. Its also clear to me that you have formulated your own view on what Jefferson said which means you fully understood the context of my take on the quote and for whatever reason you decided to act like you didnt understand my take.

p.s. "my country" is a phrase that makes my hair stand on end. We dont own this country, we used to own a bit more of it (like the radio waves and TV waves) but even in the past it mostly owns us

SEANMCAD

1. Nations develop because organization is needed and it creates efficiency, the people give power to the rulers because efficiency is increased when a few people call the shots, and nations give people rights and privledges because it encourages loyalty and because the common people are the lifeblood of a nation. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. The formation of governments has little to do with the pursuit of power, because power is meaningless without civilization. Being king of yourself means nothing. The pursuit of power is a human trait, but it has its place, it is not necessarily evil, because government in general has no concept of evil, simply of logic. I'm not speaking specifically about the United States, but civilization in general. When you're a citizen of a country, you make the agreement of service for prosperity. You can criticize that system all you want, but it's responsible for all of human development and it is an engrained part of human psychology. In most countries for most of history, when a government falls out of favor with people, people change it, usually through force. The United States was built on the idea of democracy, that because such changes are inevitable, provisions should be made to change the government through a non-violent means. As the preamble of the constitution states, if government does not meet expectations it is the right of the people to "alter or abolish" it.

2. I absolutely agree that the government should be held accountable when it lies to the people. In a liberal democracy such as the Untied States, honesty and transparency in government is something that is always sought. People have every right to question when the government wants to send them off to war, but a good citizen does not disobey laws that they do not agree with; instead they seek to change or abolish those laws. As i've repeatedly stated in this thread, when you are a citizen of a country and reap the benefits of living there, it is not morally or logically acceptable to abandon the country when it's time for you to uphold your end of the bargain. No country, nor any of the advantages of government, can survive with that kind of mentality. In essence, we go back to the stone age if no one follows the law.

3. I wasn't sure how Jefferson's quote fit into your argument, and i'm still not. It's a moot point whether we own the country or it owns us. Everyone in a country has a stake in it, whether they know or approve of it or not.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#206 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
Hmmm... No. I wouldn't :D
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
No way id just go to america.
Cutekitten6_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Cutekitten6_18
Member since 2005 • 22640 Posts

I don't know. I wanna say no, but i dont know until that senario happens.

I lean towards no because one of my cousins joined the army and went to Iraq, he later got killed, it was really rough for everyone, so i wouldn't want to risk that happening to them again.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
If everyone didnt want to die for their country, armies would be much smaller, therefore not as much death.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
Depends on the situation but I would have to say most likely not for the country I currently live in (USA).
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Not sure TBH. Depends who was trying to take over really
Hadoken_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Hadoken_Kid
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

[QUOTE="Hadoken_Kid"]no I wouldnt die for a country that has treated my family and ancestors as second class citizens for close to 400 years.clayron

What is your ethnic backgrou

american
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
you've gotta fight, for your right, to paartaaaay!
red0584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#214 red0584
Member since 2008 • 4040 Posts
If it was under attack by Chimera, yeah.
XvX_Fear_XvX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#216 XvX_Fear_XvX
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts
i would leave because chances are i would try to sneak around and do a surprise attack and they would catch me and torture me with tooth picks :(
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#217 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I'm ready to go right now.

If I've got to die it might as well be with my boots on.

And to the people saying things like "I'd try to be a medic or something first", medics are one of the highest priority targets for snipers.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#218 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
I'd die defending my family
Trmpt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Trmpt
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

Depends. The SAS are pretty capable by themselves of warding off anyone else in the entire world. If, however, we were invading Canada or they were invading us I would certainly take up arms...and maybe legs.AirGuitarist87

lol......just .......lol

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#221 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Yes, I would fight and if necessary die for this land. I'm proud and very grateful for what it has given me, the opportunities it has afforded, and believe the sacrifices that those who came before and laid down need to be honored and defended. Absolutely. Something that's so much bigger than myself and represents so much deserves protection, and if it's existence was threatened I would pick up arms and fight.

EDIT: Wow, after reading all of the posts I'm suprised at how many people said no. A bit frightening actually, but I think when one gets older they fully realize how lucky they are and what they have that others don't, then they'll think differently.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#222 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Not a chance. I have my whole life to live.