Would More Lapel Cameras Bring Greater Accountibility for Police Misconduct?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would More Lapel Cameras Bring Greater Accountibility for Police Misconduct? (16 votes)

Yes. 63%
No. 6%
I Don't Know. 31%

Protest held over South Carolina shooting

The mayor announces Lapel cameras in the wake of mass protests for the shooting of the unarmed man from behind.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/04/protest-held-south-carolina-shooting-150409001642914.html

The President also announced, a while back, his request for 50,000 lapel cameras.

I look at the shooting and think "yeah, it could work. The cop has been charged after all." On the other hand, we already have lots of folks capturing footage of police using force that much of the public don't approve of (putting the diehard apologists aside), yet is sanctioned by the Supreme Court. We have the murder of Kelly Thomas in California by an officer who charged with second degree murder and then later acquitted by a jury. And as Max Blumenthal pointed out, we have these occasions where the camera equipped officer involved in the killing of an unarmed person, can't show the footage due to "camera malfunction" at the the time of the incident.

Knowing all of this, how would this massive support for lapel cameras amount to greater accountability? Again; the public already captures the footage. The current law gives police wide latitude to use deadly force. Charged police officers are not guaranteed to be convicted and then there's that occasional "malfunction"

Waste of money, I reckon...or not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/current-law-gives-police-wide-latitude-to-use-deadly-force/2014/08/28/768090c4-2d64-11e4-994d-202962a9150c_story.html

Blumenthal:

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/inside-twisted-police-department-kills-unarmed-citizens-highest-rate-country

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=12769

• 
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Yes, they've done some studies where they've tried this in california, and wrongful arrests dropped by like 40% Violence against police dropped by 60%, and trust of police went up.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Yes, they've done some studies where they've tried this in california, and wrongful arrests dropped by like 40% Violence against police dropped by 60%, and trust of police went up.

Sounds good to me, let's get er done.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I rather see more bystanders with cellphones.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You have the link?

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Me too.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I think it would.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_Live

@thebest31406 said:

Again; the public already captures the footage.

No, not even close.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Based on that, it seems like a good plan.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thebest31406

@Master_Live said:

@thebest31406 said:

No, not even close.

They don't?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

The US will be the next Russia...everybody needs cameras because some fool is bound to come out of nowhere and ram into you =P

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebest31406

I think he's referring to the study done by the police foundation; http://www.policefoundation.org/content/body-worn-camera

Well, that's one study and I don't know them well enough to discount them completely, though I'd prefer a more neutral source.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You have the link?

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Me too.

I don't see the original study but here it is second hand

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908751/New-study-reveals-use-body-cameras-halves-rate-police-force-causes-complaints-against-officers-drop-90-percent.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's not an either/or situation. You can implement both.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thebest31406
@BranKetra said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Based on that, it seems like a good plan.

It may be a good plan in terms of more cautious and mindful policing, but what about the question of accountability - bad stuff that's actually caught on tape?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By branketra

@thebest31406, I wonder what you suggest, instead.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thebest31406

@BranKetra said:

Well, I'm not against lapel cameras but it shouldn't end with lapel cameras. The Supreme Court still give cops the authority to use deadly force "if the officer reasonably believed at that moment that he or others were in imminent danger, and it doesn’t matter whether any danger actually existed." Change that law and then we're in business

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@BranKetra: Agreed. These should be mandatory to prevent police from abusing their power.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Live

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra said:

Well, I'm not against lapel cameras but it shouldn't end with lapel cameras. The Supreme Court still give cops the authority to use deadly force "if the officer reasonably believed at that moment that he or others were in imminent danger, and it doesn’t matter whether any danger actually existed." Change that law and then we're in business

Change it to what?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_Live

@thebest31406 said:

@Master_Live said:

@thebest31406 said:

No, not even close.

They don't?

No, not all of it, not even close.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

It certainly wouldn't bring less accountability so I say do it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By branketra

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra said:

That does seem to protect police officers and endanger the civilian population too much considering the results of its application.

@gamerguru100 said:

@BranKetra: Agreed. These should be mandatory to prevent police from abusing their power.

The mandatory requirement of said lapel cameras might also prevent actual violent criminals from not getting seen as they are in fact rather than how speculation can support a side without evidence. They ought to help everyone.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thebest31406

@Master_Live said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Master_Live said:

@thebest31406 said:

No, not even close.

They don't?

No, not all of it, not even close.

Should I have said "members of the public" instead, because that's what I meant.

@Master_Live said:

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra said:

Change it to what?

I guess change it to where danger is actually present; an actual threat rather than a mere belief of an imminent threat? Maybe change the "reasonableness" standard so that such a standard isn't reserved exclusively for the officer? Maybe?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thebest31406

Christ. I spelled accountability wrong and I can't even change it. How embarrassing......

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Sure

/end thread

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thebest31406

@BranKetra said:

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra said:

That does seem to protect police officers and endanger the civilian population too much considering the results of its application.

Some other considerations with regard to the cameras.

Police Body-Mounted Cameras: With Right Policies in Place, a Win For All

https://www.aclu.org/police-body-mounted-cameras-right-policies-place-win-all?redirect=technology-and-liberty/police-body-mounted-cameras-right-policies-place-win-all

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

Police officers are public officials, they act on behalf of the public so for them to be recorded or all their interactions with the public recorded at all times is not unreasonable.

For as many camera's that go up at intersections to catch speeders and red light runners, there can be more camera's with police. The amount that can be gained not only in recording events as they happen instead of relying on potentially false accounts, but also in recording situations that could be used as teaching tools for new officers in the academy is too good to not utilize.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Body cams (the same thing as lapel cams, they're just mounted differently) are a win for everybody involved. Not only will it back up my story if I ever need to explain my actions, but it will increase trust in law enforcement.

So long as people continue to not care that I sometimes bullshit with my fellow cops when I'm on patrol, or that I grab a Monster every once and awhile, or that I deign to not give a citation when a verbal warning would suffice, we'll be okay. But if our shifts are put under a microscope for trivial offenses (me giving a verbal warning instead of a citation is technically against department SOP) then you're going to wish the system was never put in place.

A system I'm comfortable with would be my body cam footage only being accessed if my actions were called into question. For instance, after I've had to discharge my firearm, or to look at how I dealt with someone during a stop.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

@airshocker said:

So long as people continue to not care that I sometimes bullshit with my fellow cops when I'm on patrol, or that I grab a Monster every once and awhile, or that I deign to not give a citation when a verbal warning would suffice, we'll be okay. But if our shifts are put under a microscope for trivial offenses (me giving a verbal warning instead of a citation is technically against department SOP) then you're going to wish the system was never put in place.

A system I'm comfortable with would be my body cam footage only being accessed if my actions were called into question. For instance, after I've had to discharge my firearm, or to look at how I dealt with someone during a stop.

I don't want to see verbal warnings go away. There are some trivial things that don't need to be enforced when you know they likely won't happen again.

I'm sure that the union that represents officers will make sure disciplinary action for not following procedures to the letter on petty things will be very loosely enforced if the body cameras become standard.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@richietickles said:

@airshocker said:

I don't want to see verbal warnings go away. There are some trivial things that don't need to be enforced when you know they likely won't happen again.

I'm sure that the union that represents officers will make sure disciplinary action for not following procedures to the letter on petty things will be very loosely enforced if the body cameras become standard.

There is such a thing as having shitty supervisors.

If we're going to implement such a system, there also needs to be a system in place to protect the guys like me who do our job knowing that we have a profound responsibility to upkeep. If there's a chance that I could get a bad report and lose my job (and my pension) because of a vindictive SO, I'm out. I can make better money going full-time with my landscaping/snow removal business. Then you guys get to pay for another dude to be trained who may or may not have such a good record as me.

I'm more than willing to wear a body cam if it will put people at ease. But if my life gets made miserable in the process, why should I care? And that's the mentality of almost every cop in this country.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

On the other hand, we already have lots of folks capturing footage of police using force that much of the public don't approve of (putting the diehard apologists aside), yet is sanctioned by the Supreme Court.

That's kind of the thing: Not all - or even most - incidents are captured on tape. By all means, people should continue to be vigilant with public cameras, but lapel cameras should help as well.

If implemented properly, such a system should be a help to honest officers also. I'm sure we can all acknowledge that officers get a fair amount of unsubstantiated claims leveled their way as well.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thebest31406

@mattbbpl said:

@thebest31406 said:

On the other hand, we already have lots of folks capturing footage of police using force that much of the public don't approve of (putting the diehard apologists aside), yet is sanctioned by the Supreme Court.

That's kind of the thing: Not all - or even most - incidents are captured on tape. By all means, people should continue to be vigilant with public cameras, but lapel cameras should help as well.

If implemented properly, such a system should be a help to honest officers also. I'm sure we can all acknowledge that officers get a fair amount of unsubstantiated claims leveled their way as well.

I think you're right when you say that the cop cams should be used along with smart phones to better keep an eye on things. Still, the announcement from Obama and the SC mayor for more cams were made in response to the grievances many members of the public have expressed over the deadly force used by cops. The mayor's announcement in particular was made in reaction to protests over a man being murdered by a cop - which is still up in the air as to whether or not he'll be convicted. It just seems as if we're experiencing more of the same shtick used by state officials; alleviate mass discontent by proposing a strategy that doesn't necessarily address the people's grievances.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Rather have batman protecting me but meh, this will have to do!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

I think you're right when you say that the cop cams should be used along with smart phones to better keep an eye on things. Still, the announcement from Obama and the SC mayor for more cams were made in response to the grievances many members of the public have expressed over the deadly force used by cops. The mayor's announcement in particular was made in reaction to protests over a man being murdered by a cop - which is still up in the air as to whether or not he'll be convicted. It just seems as if we're experiencing more of the same shtick used by state officials; alleviate mass discontent by proposing a strategy that doesn't necessarily address the people's grievances.

They more or less have to do something at this point. Less so to clean up the force (which is itself important), but more so to retain some level of confidence in the force. We're approaching a crisis of confidence in the area, and that can't be allowed to happen.

I think the call for body cams is entirely reasonable in this case, and poses the possibility of addressing both issues over time. We've certainly seen worse proposals in the past, at any rate.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Maybe, I dunno, I'd like to think so. I've little reason to believe having video of police brutality and misconduct would lead to any justice for victims, however I do think the presence of the camera does something else, and that's keep both cops and civilians in check. I've heard studies done of their use show the cops wearing them don't agitate and escalate in interactions with civilians and even civilians themselves that might agitate and escalate don't do so as well, and that this has resulted in less arrests and less complaints against police. Hey, that's a good thing. In cases where cops behave appropriately and but a narrative is out there condemning the officers actions, that officer will have a record to back up their story with. I think the use of body cameras is good for both police and civilians in the end.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Yes, and it can help build public trust by showing police officers doing their jobs correctly. There's a lot of media focusing on what they do wrong and it is building a negative perception of law enforcement. I recommend listening/reading this piece from PRI.