Would like some input about my dilemma

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

For the past two years I have been trying to get a job as a graphic designer, but without success. Unfortunately that led me to be roughly 13.5 k in debt and my credit card max is 15k. I want to go back to school and already got accepted in a program that actually interest me more than graphic design and is currently in high demand.

The program is two years intensive, which means I cannot work at the same time. I'm going to get some government aid which they going to lend me 5k each year. There is also a paid internship after the first year which can help me a pay things back a little bit.

So my questions for you guys is should I get a crappy job spend the next year paying my debt and go back to school next year or should go back to school in September accumulate more debt but paying it back with a better more stable job. I have 10 years to pay back the government.

pros and cons of finding a crappy job

Pro: will be debt free after a year or so

Cons: will most likely make me want to kill myself even though it's temporary

My parents on my ass wondering why I'm not back at school

I have been injured for the past 4 years so the choice of jobs is very limited.

Pros of going back to school

Working towards a good career

My life has been boring lately, could make it more interesting

Cons

Will be more in debt

I might not like the program as much as I thought

Being in high demand doesn't equal getting a job right of the bat.

My injuries might be a problem for certain positions offert to me ( that remain to be seeing though)

So yeah I'm quite in a dilemma right now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

For starters, getting into all these debts is one of the worst things you can do. My advice, pay all of your debts ASAP, just get a job that pays well, look on the web, newspaper, search for a job that suits your needs. Start investing, pay of your debts cause it will effect your credit score and most likely, you'll won't get that best career you been looking for. Yes pay off all your debts before going back to Collage cause you're gonna have lots of problems later on if you do so. Collage isn't going anywhere so just find a job, save money, pay all your bills, and then you can work on going to Collage.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@davillain- said:

For starters, getting into all these debts is one of the worst things you can do. My advice, pay all of your debts ASAP, just get a job that pays well, look on the web, newspaper, search for a job that suits your needs. Start investing, pay of your debts cause it will effect your credit score and most likely, you'll won't get that best career you been looking for. Yes pay off all your debts before going back to Collage cause you're gonna have lots of problems later on if you do so. Collage isn't going anywhere so just find a job, save money, pay all your bills, and then you can work on going to Collage.

Totally agree! Our system is set up to keep people in debt and it's sad that most people aren't aware of it. Whether it's for a career or just to keep your head above water....always take care of your debt.

Your future self will thank you for it.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@davillain- said:

I second all of this.

Jobs are more rare these days and in my case i got i job i never even wanted but i don't care because it pays good.

The downside is that i don't have a collage degree but this job is safe so i dont care if i don't work what i wanted for me

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Pay off the debts. They'll build over time and haunt you for years. While you're undertaking the job(s) to pay off your debt, do some graphics design work of your own in your spare time. Build yourself a resume.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Gonna have to agree with everyone else on this one that paying off your debt first is the best course of action, that compounding interest can very easily spiral out of control if left unchecked and you could get trapped in a hole that's impossible to come out of. And don't give up on the graphic design job search in the mean time I got my BFA in Design and was able to get a job after 6 months or so of searching within a 120 mile radius.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Alright thanks for the feedback guys, it does seem like the best option. It's true that I could wait a year or even more.