Why you don't need God to be good!

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="Ezgam3r"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"]

dont tel me "4.5 billion years of history. just the beginning

daftdog

A small dense thing exploded into a universe.

Dude, that didn't happen 4.5 billion years ago, unless you have some new theory you haven't told anyone about yet :P

Its approximately 4.5 billion years ago that we think the big bang happened

Actually, according to wikipedia, again, it's 13.7 billion or something.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 daftdog
Member since 2003 • 910 Posts

Jandurin

Dude, that didn't happen 4.5 billion years ago, unless you have some new theory you haven't told anyone about yet :P

oh, 14 billion years ago. Well, what's he asking about. What happened 4.5 billion years ago? :o Life began 3.7 billion years ago according to wikipedia :shock:

Yeah life began 3.7 billion, but the planet started about 4.5 billion years ago. Please dont use wiki to find information on science its not credited.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Yeah life began 3.7 billion, but the planet started about 4.5 billion years ago. Please dont use wiki to find information on science its not credited.

daftdog
So? It's perfectly viable for general informations.
Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts

Jandurin

oh, 14 billion years ago. Well, what's he asking about. What happened 4.5 billion years ago? :o Life began 3.7 billion years ago according to wikipedia :shock:

Well, God was cooking up a recipe for starting life on Earth and the next instruction was "Let Earth cool down and let inanimate organic and inorganic molecules sit for ~.8 billion years" :P
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
anybody with half brain should know you dont need god(just a label) to be a good person
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"]

Jandurin

So? It's perfectly viable for general informations.

I never said that but when it comes to science its important to get the information from a credited source especially if you are going to use the information in an debate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I never said that but when it comes to science its important to get the information from a credited source especially if you are going to use the information in an debate.

daftdog
If the other person won't accept it, then it's their problem unless they can disprove whatever you bring.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Everyone will have different morals on what they think is right or wrong. Depending on what you believe in or whatnot , they may change . And what is accepted as moral for a society may change over time. But a person does not need to believe in God to be a good person based on a society's standards as a whole.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"]

Jandurin

If the other person won't accept it, then it's their problem unless they can disprove whatever you bring.

Whatever dude, all am saying is that the people that write up the information in wiki are not credited or reliable.

SegaGenesisfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SegaGenesisfan
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

I hate the "well america has a lot of crime etc," arguement because you got to realise a lot of it is not from people who believe in god, more so just scum. For example we have lots of people coming from mexico, we also have a vaste melting pot, which makes it easier for race problems. We have so many religions, and different people, that it just like a cooking pot, the more you put in, the more it is going to eventually all boil.

There is also a lot of hypocrytes, also the thing with athiesm, is more likely satan is not going to tempt you that much, because he does not need to. He has you where he wants you.

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 daftdog

I hate the "well america has a lot of crime etc," arguement because you got to realise a lot of it is not from people who believe in god, more so just scum. For example we have lots of people coming from mexico, we also have a vaste melting pot, which makes it easier for race problems. We have so many religions, and different people, that it just like a cooking pot, the more you put in, the more it is going to eventually all boil.

There is also a lot of hypocrytes, also the thing with athiesm, is more likely satan is not going to tempt you that much, because he does not need to. He has you where he wants you.

SegaGenesisfan

You just totally contradicted yourself its actually quite funny :)

dsgeeno1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dsgeeno1
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts
[QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="Greatgone12"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"]

why did jesus answer many questions from obvious non beleivers in questions?

Because you can only make someone beleive when they are ready to beleive/want to beleive.

In other words they have to convince themselves, simply telling them wont cut it.

Yes you can be good without "beleiving" in god. not "without god". Who really defines good?

why do people find it absurd to beleive in god, and fine to beleive in science, cos lets face it were not all scientists that have tested and "proved" these "THEORIES

daftdog

:|

Scientific theories have inherently been tested and "proved."

My point exactly, you beleive they have been proved (keep in mind i'm not saying science is fake)

But you havent seen the results, you never designed the tests, you havent seen the proof, and in many cases you do not extensively understand the implications. How many times has scieonce called something true only until its been proven otherwise ( for instance it was beleived the world was flat and that flying was impossible nevermind space exploration)). You in other words beleive what your told without feeling the need to question or check for yourself ( This is faith)

so why is faith in relegion so obsurd?

We do question and check the results hence why we constantly discover new theories that dont match other peoples theories. Why do you put science down so much it has revolutionsed this planet, if it wasn't for science we would all be still living in mud huts hunting for wild animals. What has religion done?

daftdog how do you beleive you came to be?

I don't think you realise what a big question that is, you want me to narrate 4.5 billion years of history through to you? It could take me like 3 days just to give you the short story LOL!

You see this is what confirms to me you have no idea about the scientific side of the story. You say beginging as if it just happened, in science the begining lasted nearly 650 million years. The planet did'nt just appear over night with water, trees and grass evrywhere it was a process of millions of years! If you knew the scientific side you would know that what you are asking is a bit broad. This is the differrence between religious and non religious people i know all about religion and its history, because i bothered to hear both sides, religious people only care about their side.

doesnt evrything have a beginning? or does your scientific theory begin in the middle? i " only care about my side"? How when i'm asking you what your beleif is? I wasnt putting science down either, ( I like science, was my favorite class) just proving a point that your belef in science is not much different from my beleif in god.

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="Greatgone12"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"]

Because you can only make someone beleive when they are ready to beleive/want to beleive.

In other words they have to convince themselves, simply telling them wont cut it.

Yes you can be good without "beleiving" in god. not "without god". Who really defines good?

why do people find it absurd to beleive in god, and fine to beleive in science, cos lets face it were not all scientists that have tested and "proved" these "THEORIES

dsgeeno1

My point exactly, you beleive they have been proved (keep in mind i'm not saying science is fake)

But you havent seen the results, you never designed the tests, you havent seen the proof, and in many cases you do not extensively understand the implications. How many times has scieonce called something true only until its been proven otherwise ( for instance it was beleived the world was flat and that flying was impossible nevermind space exploration)). You in other words beleive what your told without feeling the need to question or check for yourself ( This is faith)

We do question and check the results hence why we constantly discover new theories that dont match other peoples theories. Why do you put science down so much it has revolutionsed this planet, if it wasn't for science we would all be still living in mud huts hunting for wild animals. What has religion done?

I don't think you realise what a big question that is, you want me to narrate 4.5 billion years of history through to you? It could take me like 3 days just to give you the short story LOL!

You see this is what confirms to me you have no idea about the scientific side of the story. You say beginging as if it just happened, in science the begining lasted nearly 650 million years. The planet did'nt just appear over night with water, trees and grass evrywhere it was a process of millions of years! If you knew the scientific side you would know that what you are asking is a bit broad. This is the differrence between religious and non religious people i know all about religion and its history, because i bothered to hear both sides, religious people only care about their side.

doesnt evrything have a beginning? or does your scientific theory begin in the middle? i " only care about my side"? How when i'm asking you what your beleif is? I wasnt putting science down either, ( I like science, was my favorite class) just proving a point that your belef in science is not much different from my beleif in god.

Ok then fine that's what you believe good for you.

AnubisCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 AnubisCraig
Member since 2004 • 8627 Posts
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="Greatgone12"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"]

dsgeeno1

Our universe started with the Big Bang.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

[QUOTE="SegaGenesisfan"]

daftdog

I see no contradiction actually and I usually disagree with Sega's points, but for once, he actually makes some sense besides associating atheism with Satanism.

*comic*

AnubisCraig

Is this true? :lol: I found it rather funny regardless.

As for my beliefs, I don't think you need a god to have direction, but I do think that it can be problematic if you focus too much on yourself. A good person serves others.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

How so?

daftdog

Omniscience is a divine quality. ;)

How does that make us ironic?

:lol:

Nevermind.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

How so?

Theokhoth

Omniscience is a divine quality. ;)

How does that make us ironic?

:lol:

Nevermind.

I also don't see the irony. Care to enlighten me?

EDIT: Ooooh!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Well considering morality is not inherent to religion then it should be obvious that people don't need God to be good.
Zephgaldarien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Zephgaldarien
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts

This all depends on your definition of being "good." If being "good" means not robbing or murdering, then the fear of jail time or execution might stop you. If being "good" means no cussing or sex before marriage, that is something that only the fear of God will keep you from doing, the Holy Spirit convicts you of sin. So what is your definition of being "good" here?

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts
[QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"][QUOTE="Greatgone12"][QUOTE="dsgeeno1"]

AnubisCraig

Our universe started with the Big Bang.

Big Bang THEORY...

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#71 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take that into consideration when I perform my next robbery.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Big Bang THEORY...LikeHaterade

Just like the theory of gravity, atomic theory, the theory of evolution, the theory of quantum mechanics, the omega point theory, etc. A "theory" in science is the best explanation based on what observable evidence has been discovered and can improve given new and better evidence... it isn't a "guess" and is the furthest thing from it. In science, a "hypothesis" is a "guess" and as a scientist you always come up with hypotheses with the intention of finding evidence to make it into a theory.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

I am good because of religion, but not because I'm afraid of going to hell, but just because I have felt the love of God and I know how powerful it is so now I want to share it with the world. I don't do immoral things not because I'm afraid of the concequences, but rather because I know there is a better way to live my life. I understand that sin is its own punishment and so I am not stupid enough to sin.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Funky_Llama

Big Bang THEORY...

LikeHaterade

Jesus H Christ, I'm going to kill the next person who does that.

MFaraz_Hayat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MFaraz_Hayat
Member since 2006 • 1794 Posts
[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

Big Bang THEORY...

Funky_Llama

Jesus H Christ, I'm going to kill the next person who does that.

Woah Funky's on fire! Now now funky, calm down......

Or all of us will just get some roasted llama

roasted llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Or all of us will just get some roasted llama

MFaraz_Hayat
They had that on the menu in Peru. That and like guinea pigs or something really strange >_>
Strider212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Strider212
Member since 2004 • 2524 Posts
Good by whose standards?
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#78 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts

Why do people act as if evolution disproves creationism? The bible itself says a day to God is like a thousand years to man. I believe evolution was designed by God.

Anyway, on topic, sure you can be a good person without beliving in God, but you'll still die with your soul never reunited with God and suffer eternally. Religious debates never go anywhere and even though I could address every single question and debate, it's pretty much a waste of time, so I won't be coming back to the thread in case anyone responds. Especially since I would probably just end up getting modded by a biased moderator. It happened the last time I actually debated in a religious thread. I typed a long, drawn out post and got modded for the reason of "posting solely to annoy" even though my post was on topic and well worded. It's pretty frustrating to type all that and have it wiped by someone just because they disagree and want to silence you. Anyway, just wanted to get the truth out there about the topic. See ya! ;)

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I do not do good works so that I obtain a reward in heaven or because I fear punishment from God. I do what is morally right so that God can be glorified and his name lifted up. I do not know how moral I would be as a person if I did not do it all for that reason but I guarantee you I would not have as high of a moral standard for myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
I do not know how moral I would be as a person if I did not do it all for that reason.mindstorm
But, you can assume you wouldn't go around stealing from stores and kicking old ladies on the shin, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
A theist can beleive in God and be good without fearing God or the afterlife. And of course we don't need God to be good, i think we just need God.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I do not know how moral I would be as a person if I did not do it all for that reason.Jandurin
But, you can assume you wouldn't go around stealing from stores and kicking old ladies on the shin, right?

I'd imagine I wouldn't but I suppose I'll never know. Some things I refrain from doing only because of God however. Why would I quit looking at porn for example? Or why would I decide to not drink alcohol (not saying it's morally wrong to drink, I've just decided it's not something for me).

SegaGenesisfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SegaGenesisfan
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
[QUOTE="SegaGenesisfan"]

daftdog

No, I didnt, I am just sayying that america may have more crime, because there is more factors that can lead to crime, lots of bad influences, then there are hypocrytes (poeple who say they believe in god, but dont follow), and lastly my comment about athiest seeming more "moral." Well if you where satan and your trying to get people into hell, all it takes is one sin, all athiest from Sweden have probably done one thing to violate gods rule (that is all it takes). Well so to get to heaven and be forgivened, you need to believe in god Now if your satan and there is people who dont believe god exist, well they are already on their way to the path of destruction, he already has you how he wants you, plus for all we knew satan purposely does not tempt athiest as much. Overall though a true christian is going to have a better sense of right and wrong, so maybe athiest over in Sweden don't do as many physical crimes, they are still commiting crimes against god.

You just totally misintrepreted me its actually quite funny, I knew you would do that:)

Strider212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Strider212
Member since 2004 • 2524 Posts
I ask again, good by whose standards?
Avatar image for orangeturtle472
OrangeTurtle472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85 OrangeTurtle472
Member since 2007 • 2636 Posts
You, my friend, are VERY incorrect. I really need all of you to stop thinking that God is always there to punish you and put you in "Hell". If God was not here, humanity would not be nearly as civilized and educated as they are now. God and the prophets that were sent to educate us taugh us how to be civilized, educated people. You may not think of it, but humanity from a historical time were taught by the prophets to be good, and these messages have been passed down for generations unto us, and we have been raised from the base of history, which is what God intended. Human beings have been given the power of intellect to act with free will and be civilized, virtuous people. If we did not recieve this gift, and were not educated to use it, we would take the ways of the animal. Animals live for their own needs: eat, sleep, reproduce, etc. They can not be civilized and use their minds for the betterment of the world. We have recieved the ability to do this through God's messages, which have been provided through the many manifestations through history. Education consists of human, material, and spiritual education. If we do not use these together, we will take the ways of an animal. And don't think that some of you do not use spiritual education, because you all do. Every time you show love, respect, comassion, etc. for one another, you are using your spirituality. Without God and the messages sent to us to become civilized, we could not achieve this level of education and civilization. I rest my case.
esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Novakain"]I love how that a quote is treated as an indisputable fact or something. duncancameron23

I love how you guys treat God as a fact, different strokes for different folks i guess.

And just leave it at that and stop trying to convince people.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Funky_Llama

You, my friend, are VERY incorrect. I really need all of you to stop thinking that God is always there to punish you and put you in "Hell". If God was not here, humanity would not be nearly as civilized and educated as they are now. God and the prophets that were sent to educate us taugh us how to be civilized, educated people. You may not think of it, but humanity from a historical time were taught by the prophets to be good, and these messages have been passed down for generations unto us, and we have been raised from the base of history, which is what God intended. Human beings have been given the power of intellect to act with free will and be civilized, virtuous people. If we did not recieve this gift, and were not educated to use it, we would take the ways of the animal. Animals live for their own needs: eat, sleep, reproduce, etc. They can not be civilized and use their minds for the betterment of the world. We have recieved the ability to do this through God's messages, which have been provided through the many manifestations through history. Education consists of human, material, and spiritual education. If we do not use these together, we will take the ways of an animal. And don't think that some of you do not use spiritual education, because you all do. Every time you show love, respect, comassion, etc. for one another, you are using your spirituality. Without God and the messages sent to us to become civilized, we could not achieve this level of education and civilization. I rest my case.amirbrandon

You 'rest your case'? Dude, you didn't prove anything! All you did was blindly assert. Also... if without religion people 'take the ways of the animal', why haven't I done so?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Funky_Llama

I ask again, good by whose standards?Strider212

I think objective morality is being assumed.

Avatar image for orangeturtle472
OrangeTurtle472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 OrangeTurtle472
Member since 2007 • 2636 Posts

[QUOTE="amirbrandon"]You, my friend, are VERY incorrect. I really need all of you to stop thinking that God is always there to punish you and put you in "Hell". If God was not here, humanity would not be nearly as civilized and educated as they are now. God and the prophets that were sent to educate us taugh us how to be civilized, educated people. You may not think of it, but humanity from a historical time were taught by the prophets to be good, and these messages have been passed down for generations unto us, and we have been raised from the base of history, which is what God intended. Human beings have been given the power of intellect to act with free will and be civilized, virtuous people. If we did not recieve this gift, and were not educated to use it, we would take the ways of the animal. Animals live for their own needs: eat, sleep, reproduce, etc. They can not be civilized and use their minds for the betterment of the world. We have recieved the ability to do this through God's messages, which have been provided through the many manifestations through history. Education consists of human, material, and spiritual education. If we do not use these together, we will take the ways of an animal. And don't think that some of you do not use spiritual education, because you all do. Every time you show love, respect, comassion, etc. for one another, you are using your spirituality. Without God and the messages sent to us to become civilized, we could not achieve this level of education and civilization. I rest my case.Funky_Llama

You 'rest your case'? Dude, you didn't prove anything! All you did was blindly assert. Also... if without religion people 'take the ways of the animal', why haven't I done so?

Yes, you do not follow religion, but you use its principles in your life. You have been raised to be a civilized person through the teachings of religion throughout history. you may not believe so, but this is where our ability to use our intellect and become civilized came from.