Why Spanking High-School Students Is Dangerous

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

This seems wrong.

http://www.livescience.com/23496-spanking-high-school-students-texas-policy.html

In a seemingly counterintuitive move, a Texas school district has changed its policies to allow opposite-gender faculty to paddle students after a controversy regarding two high-school girls being paddled by a male vice principal.

The Texas controversy began after two parents in Springtown, Texas, complained that their daughters had been paddled by male faculty hard enough to leave welts and bruises.

On Monday night (Sept. 24), the school district responded to the controversy by altering their policy to allow opposite-sex faculty to spank students. Texas is one of the 19 states where school corporal punishment is still legal, according to the nonprofit Center for Effective Discipline. In 2005-2006, the most recent school year data is available, about 1 percent of Texas students were physically punished, according to the Center's data. That year, Mississippi schools engaged in the most corporal punishment compared with the other 18 states, with 7.5 percent of students getting paddled.

Effects of spanking

Because it would be unethical to randomly assign kids to lives where they are either spanked or not spanked the experimental method researchers turn to correlational studies to look for links between spanking and behavior. They find that spanking is linked with aggression, delinquency, mental health problems and difficulties in parent-child relationships. There are even studies suggesting that spanking lowers intelligence, but those findings are uncertain as researchers don't yet understand what drives the link, said Elizabeth Gershoff, a professor of human development and family sciences at the University of Texas, Austin.

The correlations hold even after controlling for factors such as socioeconomic status or how aggressive a child is to start with. Critics often argue that already-aggressive children get spanked more, Gershoff told LIveScience.

"That's definitely true, but it doesn't explain the whole story," she said. "Even when you put that into the equation, [spanking] still predicts an increase in aggression. In no case does spanking make kids less aggressive."

The aggression-spanking link is likely a result of learned behavior, social scientists say. When kids see their parents using violence, they can reach the conclusion that hitting is sometimes okay.

"They come to think of using physical force or violence as an acceptable way to get what they want," said Jennifer Lansford, a researcher at Duke University's Center for Child and Family Policy. "Then they are more likely, in the future, to themselves use physical force."

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Oh Texas, you crazy state.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I can' t say I' m surprised to learn about this. The USA can be a great place to live (well... compared to where I live) but sadly they can' t escape from crap. Crap is all over the place.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#4 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

In a seemingly counterintuitive move, a Texas school district has changed its policies to allow opposite-gender faculty to paddle students

tenaka2

I would've LOVED this policy in High School.

awwwwwwww yeeeeeeeah

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

In a seemingly counterintuitive move, a Texas school district has changed its policies to allow opposite-gender faculty to paddle students

THE_DRUGGIE

awwwwwwww yeeeeeeeah

Is there something wrong with giving 50 year old men the right to use a paddle and spank teenage girls when ever he dicides they need discipline?

THis seems very wrong to me but perhaps I just have a dirty mind.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

awwwwwwww yeeeeeeeah

Is there something wrong with giving 50 year old men the right to use a paddle and spank teenage girls when ever he dicides they need discipline?

Oh, I was thinking of that hot math teacher.

Mrs. Liebowtiz could give me a paddlin' any day.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

I got paddled quite a bit in elementary school. However, in fifth grade while being paddled I started laughing. Mrs. Perkins said "Oh, you like it, hunh?" really sarcastically, so I said "Yeah.....sexually."

Never got paddled again.:D

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Spanking doesn't work on older kids...

Maybe kids during their elementary years but then again, it's never a good idea to spank.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

In my school the kid was more likely to turn round and put the teacher on the floor if they even tried anythin like this, besides there's somethin creepy about old men having permission to spank young teen girls whenever they feel.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

I can't believe know one thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgR0m-9FmM

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
What high schooler is actually gonna bend over and let their teacher do that? I'd run
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

High school kids get spanked? News to me.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Christ that's creepy.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

sonicare
Welcome to ass backward Texas.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

awwwwwwww yeeeeeeeah

Nah, some faculty might abuse it. Male faculty and lesbian faculty shouldn't be able to paddle the girls.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whipassmt

This seems wrong.

http://www.livescience.com/23496-spanking-high-school-students-texas-policy.html

In a seemingly counterintuitive move, a Texas school district has changed its policies to allow opposite-gender faculty to paddle students after a controversy regarding two high-school girls being paddled by a male vice principal.

The Texas controversy began after two parents in Springtown, Texas, complained that their daughters had been paddled by male faculty hard enough to leave welts and bruises.

On Monday night (Sept. 24), the school district responded to the controversy by altering their policy to allow opposite-sex faculty to spank students. Texas is one of the 19 states where school corporal punishment is still legal, according to the nonprofit Center for Effective Discipline. In 2005-2006, the most recent school year data is available, about 1 percent of Texas students were physically punished, according to the Center's data. That year, Mississippi schools engaged in the most corporal punishment compared with the other 18 states, with 7.5 percent of students getting paddled.

tenaka2

could've been worse, the vice principal could've been wearing a cowboy hat and shouting "Yeehaw" while paddling the kid.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

This seems wrong.

*copypasted livescience article*tenaka2

I'm starting to think tenaka is just a livescience spambot

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]This seems wrong.

*copypasted livescience article*Overlord93

I'm starting to think tenaka is just a livescience spambot

In my defence I also post stuff from ScienceDaily :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm in no way against corporal punishment if the offense is bad enough.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sSubZerOo

Welcome to ass backward Texas.

IIRC, Alabama does it too

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Violent actions against a weaker party ultimately end in more violence and will have adverse effects. It's the same thing over and over on pretty much every level, so it's no wonder that it's the same case for the spanking of high school students.
It seems humans are unable to draw a line between justified punishment and excessive violence, I believe that this is because humans are unable to make a objective comparison when there is personal involvement.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leviathan91

Violent actions against a weaker party ultimately end in more violence and will have adverse effects. It's the same thing over and over on pretty much every level, so it's no wonder that it's the same case for the spanking of high school students.
It seems humans are unable to draw a line between justified punishment and excessive violence, I believe that this is because humans are unable to make a objective comparison when there is personal involvement.

rastotm

From a personal experience, I have to agree. There are many other methods that don't involve violence that work better in both the short term and long term.

As for the act of spanking older teenagers, it's goddamn stupid. It's more understandable if you were to spank a 10 year old (i'd be against it still but hey, your child right?) but spanking a teen is like punching an elephant. It's not going to work at all.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10454 Posts

I got paddled quite a bit in elementary school. However, in fifth grade while being paddled I started laughing. Mrs. Perkins said "Oh, you like it, hunh?" really sarcastically, so I said "Yeah.....sexually."

br0kenrabbit

genius :D

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

LOL, Texas

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 THE_DRUGGIE

I'm in no way against corporal punishment if the offense is bad enough.

airshocker

And when the teacher doing the paddlin' is a real fox.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

Corporal punishment is still legally allowed ....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And US medias likes to claim that China has a worse human right record? China banned School corporal punishment back in 1994, though it's still happening in some schools, at least it is by law illegal.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

In my school the kid was more likely to turn round and put the teacher on the floor if they even tried anythin like this

l34052

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 leviathan91

And US medias likes to claim that China has a worse human right record? China banned School corporal punishment back in 1994, though it's still happening in some schools, at least it is by law illegal.

Ncsoftlover

First off, China does have a terrible human rights record. The US doesn't but we're not that perfect but compared to China, we're a friggen paradise.

Second, spanking isn't that bad, assuming the person spanks on the buttocks and does so without being angry. In fact, to compare legal spanking to China's numerous human rights violations is an insult.

The problem I have with spanking is that parents who do use it tend to be angrier and aggressive and they sometimes don't apply it on the butt but rather the face. I can tell you from a personal experience it doesn't work, which is why there are better alternatives. Call me a leftist, I don't care, spanking doesn't work because in the end, it creates more problems than solutions.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

This thread is dumb.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

[QUOTE="Ncsoftlover"]

leviathan91

First off, China does have a terrible human rights record. The US doesn't but we're not that perfect but compared to China, we're a friggen paradise.

Second, spanking isn't that bad, assuming the person spanks on the buttocks and does so without being angry. In fact, to compare legal spanking to China's numerous human rights violations is an insult.

The problem I have with spanking is that parents who do use it tend to be angrier and aggressive and they sometimes don't apply it on the butt but rather the face. I can tell you from a personal experience it doesn't work, which is why there are better alternatives. Call me a leftist, I don't care, spanking doesn't work because in the end, it creates more problems than solutions.

I wasn't really serious, this is almost as funny as the US legalizing homosexual activity in 2003, China did it in 1999.

In Alabama,Florida,Idaho,Kansas,Louisiana,Michigan,Missouri,Mississippi,North Carolina,Oklahoma,South Carolina,Texas,Utah, andVirginia, it was technically by law illegal for gay people to have sex until 2003.

It's not correct to say that China has a better human right record, but it's hilarious when I find things like this. It's shows in relative to other developed nations( for example, Netherlands banned school corporal punishment in 1920, and legalized same sex activity in 1811) how slow US is at these things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
I wouldn't mind if a few of my teachers slapped me around..
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Ncsoftlover
China executes 10,000 people each year via mobile execution vans. So in all honesty, go fvck yourself and your ignorant post.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 whipassmt

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="Ncsoftlover"]

Ncsoftlover

I wasn't really serious, this is almost as funny as the US legalizing homosexual activity in 2003, China did it in 1999.

In Alabama,Florida,Idaho,Kansas,Louisiana,Michigan,Missouri,Mississippi,North Carolina,Oklahoma,South Carolina,Texas,Utah, andVirginia, it was technically by law illegal for gay people to have sex until 2003.

It's not correct to say that China has a better human right record, but it's hilarious when I find things like this. It's shows in relative to other developed nations( for example, Netherlands banned school corporal punishment in 1920, and legalized same sex activity in 1811) how slow US is at these things.

At least the U.S. doesn't have any laws telling people that they could only have a certain number of kids, like China's "One Child Policy".

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
What? that still happens? I was unaware. This youth generation does need more discipline but I'm not sure on that.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
High school students go out of their way to do all types of illegal drugs, bash each others head in with all types of objects, and they consider an ass whoopin' to be dangerous? These kids already seem to have mental problems, maybe an ass-whoopin' is all they need...
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

br0kenrabbit
lol Good one.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Not even our military resorts to this.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Parents really shouldn't be spanking kids, if they are then they're bad parents. Schools spanking kids is just ludicrious. Schools spanking high school kids is f*cking retarded, and male administrators spanking high school girls is f*cking perverted.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Wow, I want to go to that school.

original.

Perhaps a hard spanking is in order.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
Oh Texas, you crazy state. l4dak47
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

I'm gonna be honest here: it really does seem like texans are trying to reverse social progress all the time.

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
do we get to sit and watch
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

regarding two high-school girls being paddled by a male vice principal.

tenaka2

Most of the porn I watch starts this way. I do love re-watching my home movies.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I don't condone spanking but I see no difference whether it's a man or a women doing the spanking. If it's by the same sex the person could very well be gay and enjoy that as well so it's impossible to judge.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

What many are failing to understand is that while Texas still allows corporal punishment in school, all that happened was a change in code due to a response from a parent whose daughter elected to be paddled instead of sitting in in-school detention for another day and missing classes.

The girl chose the punishment, yet as typical with OT, fail to understand all the facts.

Personally, the "board of education" should never have been done away with in schools. Kids nowadays would have learned long time ago, that school was a place to learn and not screw around. While I never got the paddle, I know of those who did and they didn't act up after that, at least in school and back then, if you got a paddling in school, you were pretty much guaranteed to get one more when you got home from school.

DynamiteRoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DynamiteRoll
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

Honestly, I don't think spanking works on older kids. But man would I had preferred to be spanked during high school than listen to lectures. Instead of talking my ear off for an hour about why something is bad, just spank me quick so we can both get back to business as usual. >_>

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
Spanking doesn't work with older kids. I got spanked a couple a times as a kid . But after the age of 10 my parents stopped spanking.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

And when the teacher doing the paddlin' is a real fox.

THE_DRUGGIE

Paddling is kind of wimpy. We should go straight to whipping.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

What many are failing to understand is that while Texas still allows corporal punishment in school, all that happened was a change in code due to a response from a parent whose daughter elected to be paddled instead of sitting in in-school detention for another day and missing classes.

The girl chose the punishment, yet as typical with OT, fail to understand all the facts.

Personally, the "board of education" should never have been done away with in schools. Kids nowadays would have learned long time ago, that school was a place to learn and not screw around. While I never got the paddle, I know of those who did and they didn't act up after that, at least in school and back then, if you got a paddling in school, you were pretty much guaranteed to get one more when you got home from school.

WhiteKnight77
Don't really see anyone that misunderstood the story.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

WhiteKnight77

lol Texas.. Oh Texas...