Why is it illegal to take drugs?

• 180 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts

I really don't get it. What is wrong with taking drugs? Nothing. Why are drugs illegal? I am very confused.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Joke post?

VivaKatimari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 VivaKatimari
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts

I really don't get it. What is wrong with taking drugs? Nothing. Why are drugs illegal? I am very confused.

Diablo112688

I only Believe Cannabis should be legal but the rest are just awful.

BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
cuz the govt says there bad mkay
eXdout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eXdout
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts

Because the government knows what is best for you. Silly goose!

Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Diablo112688

Joke post?

carrot-cake
No. This is serious business.
BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
[QUOTE="VivaKatimari"]

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"]

i have the right to poison myself!!!!
mark30001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 mark30001
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts
[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Joke post?

Diablo112688

pwned
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Joke post?

Diablo112688

Oh, the government knows whats bad for you so they ban it, silly!

VivaKatimari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 VivaKatimari
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts

[QUOTE="VivaKatimari"]

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"]

BayAreaX

i have the right to poison myself!!!!

You Do it's just Meth and Stuff are Addictive and some people will get really Violent for Stuff like that.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"][QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Joke post?

mark30001

pwned

I asked a question....How am I owned?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because the government feels the need to tell you which narcotics are "good" and which ones are "bad," despite some of the "bad" ones not being nearly as bad as some of the "good" ones. All drugs are "bad" in a sense, but some are worse than others. The government should have no right to tell anyone what to put in their body.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I have always wondered this myself.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

Because each drug was associated with a group of people that the government, at some point, hated. Marijuana was associated with mexicans and black jazz musicians. The first drug czar, henry anslinger or something like that, said that "marijuana makes the Negro think he's good enough for a white woman" and a whole bunch of horrible stuff like that. Also, for some reason the majority of society feels that getting high is immoral.

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
I think there just bad for society but like most i think we should have the choice.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

Because people are stupid and will do stupid things unless somebody tells them not to.

mark30001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 mark30001
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

[QUOTE="mark30001"][QUOTE="Diablo112688"] No. This is serious business.carrot-cake

Nuff said.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Drugs are addictive and once a drug user reaches the phase of addiction tha drugs affect his/her behavior greatly.

Therefore this person can be easily led to wrong behavior (agreessive behavior or even crimes).

Also drug over-dose leads to death.

Do you need more reasons?

kelinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kelinn
Member since 2004 • 1081 Posts
I think it's because that little or no narcotics control by the government generally increases the rate of crime in the state. Just a speculation though.
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Diablo112688

Drugs are addictive and once a drug user reaches the phase of addiction tha drugs affect his/her behavior greatly.

Therefore this person can be easily led to wrong behavior (agreessive behavior or even crimes).

Teenaged
\ None of those reasons are valid. Working and partaking in society causes all the same things. It should be illegal for me to work, because it greatly alters my mind, and negatively affects... it even makes me dangerous at times.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teenaged

Because the government feels the need to tell you which narcotics are "good" and which ones are "bad," despite some of the "bad" ones not being nearly as bad as some of the "good" ones. All drugs are "bad" in a sense, but some are worse than others. The government should have no right to tell anyone what to put in their body.

foxhound_fox

What?

When a drug may cause a user to flip in his head and go on a killing spree then yes I want laws to prevent people from using them.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Teenaged

Meth, for example, is one of the most addictive drugs ever made, and one of the most mind-destroying drugs at that. Drugs are illegal because we do not want a significant portion of society to be mentally unsound; you could argue that some drugs don't do this, but to argue that they all don't or that we should just let it happen "because they wanna do it" is lazy thinking and unbelievably selfish.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pis3rch
Not all drugs are addictive. Psychedelics have no real physical effects, yet if you tell someone that you've dropped acid or something they treat you like some meth addict. Technically, LSD is a "soft drug," along with psilocybin and mescaline, the psychoactive ingredients in mushrooms and cacti like peyote, while "hard drugs" like alcohol are legal, addictive, and deadly.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Diablo112688

\ None of those reasons are valid. Working and partaking in society causes all the same things. It should be illegal for me to work, because it greatly alters my mind, and negatively affects... it even makes me dangerous at times.

Not the same situations. Completely different. I dont know how you went that far to compare drugs with... working. 0_o

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

[QUOTE="mark30001"] mark30001

Nuff said.*pic*

You are making no sense at all.
No it is not "Nuff said."
Stop communicating with pictures its very annoying and it makes you look like you cannot communicate properly with words.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
I think it's because that little or no narcotics control by the government generally increases the rate of crime in the state. Just a speculation though.kelinn
How so? If narcotics were available to all, then that's a huge chunk of crime eliminated right there.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RadBooley

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

Not the same situations. Completely different. I dont know how you went that far to compare drugs with... working. 0_o

Seriously.

Drugs are chemicals that can alter brain chemistry. Sure, work might make you stressed, but you can do things to control it.

Besides, if people got addicted to work like they got addicted to drugs... I don't see the problem. :o

Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Diablo112688

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

It is not the same situation you are correct.. it is much worse.
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Diablo112688

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"]\ None of those reasons are valid. Working and partaking in society causes all the same things. It should be illegal for me to work, because it greatly alters my mind, and negatively affects... it even makes me dangerous at times. RadBooley

Seriously.

Drugs are chemicals that can alter brain chemistry. Sure, work might make you stressed, but you can do things to control it.

Besides, if people got addicted to work like they got addicted to drugs... I don't see the problem. :o

Yeah no problem there....
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"]\ None of those reasons are valid. Working and partaking in society causes all the same things. It should be illegal for me to work, because it greatly alters my mind, and negatively affects... it even makes me dangerous at times. Diablo112688

Yes drugs are much more worse. Thanks for realising that fact.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pis3rch
[QUOTE="kelinn"]I think it's because that little or no narcotics control by the government generally increases the rate of crime in the state. Just a speculation though.Bumzur
How so? If narcotics were available to all, then that's a huge chunk of crime eliminated right there.

Agreed. More people die due to the war on drugs and gang violence than from what they do on drugs (look at mexico).
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Diablo112688

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Not the same situations. Completely different. I dont know how you went that far to compare drugs with... working. 0_o

Teenaged

Clearly I did not mean that.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Bumzur"][QUOTE="kelinn"]I think it's because that little or no narcotics control by the government generally increases the rate of crime in the state. Just a speculation though.pis3rch

Agreed. More people die due to the war on drugs and gang violence than from what they do on drugs (look at mexico).

So because people cause much more harm trying to break a law, then the law should be removed....?

:roll:

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pis3rch

[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Not the same situations. Completely different. I dont know how you went that far to compare drugs with... working. 0_o

Diablo112688

Seriously.

Yeah no problem there....

Haha, its called "going postal" and not "going heroin" for a reason, work is BAD :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Diablo112688"] It is not the same situation you are correct.. it is much worse. Diablo112688

Clearly I did not mean that.

I know. You just made a vague comment and I twisted its meaning.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pis3rch

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Bumzur"] How so? If narcotics were available to all, then that's a huge chunk of crime eliminated right there.Teenaged

So because people cause much more harm trying to break a law, then the law should be removed....?

...yeah, that's basically what happened with alcohol prohibition. The law was ineffective in preventing alcohol abuse, and mob violence surged.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="pis3rch"] Agreed. More people die due to the war on drugs and gang violence than from what they do on drugs (look at mexico). pis3rch

...yeah, that's basically what happened with alcohol prohibition. The law was ineffective in preventing alcohol abuse, and mob violence surged.

When a law is not effective, it doesnt mean its not right/logical.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Its not illegal to take drugs - just illegal to take certain drugs

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

well clearly you havent seen the effects of heavy drugs on the mind. if you live alone on an island or something. go ahead. no problem. but most of us live its whats called a society. drugs arent the issue. lack of self control is. unfortunatley drugs can cause lack of self control. when youre meth addicted brother decides its a good idea to hit you in the foot with a fire poker. then you will know what i mean. when youre brother sells everything he owns (and many things he doesnt own). just to get more. then you will know. when you actually see the effects of them, then you will see why some things are illegal. drugs dont just affect the one taking them.

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RadBooley

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="pis3rch"] Agreed. More people die due to the war on drugs and gang violence than from what they do on drugs (look at mexico). pis3rch

We have laws against murder too, and people still do it. I guess the laws aren't working-- let's repeal them.

kelinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kelinn
Member since 2004 • 1081 Posts
[QUOTE="kelinn"]I think it's because that little or no narcotics control by the government generally increases the rate of crime in the state. Just a speculation though.Bumzur

Well, I'm talking about increase in other crime, such as violence, murder, theft etc. Statistics tend to show that there is often a connection between drug use and the types of crime I just mentioned.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Because people are stupid and will do stupid things unless somebody tells them not to.

RadBooley

This man is wise. :o

Mu5uk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mu5uk0
Member since 2005 • 19144 Posts

It's idiotic that narcotics are illegal yet cigarettes and alcohol are not.

The reason why narcotics are illegal is because they have extreme mind-altering effects (lcd, meth, cocaine especially) which can lead to some seriously violent behaviour.

And also, they're addictive and over a short period of time the addiction starts to show its effects, its fatal effects and as you may or may not know suicide is illegal.. but then I ask again why cigarettes and alcohol aren't illegal.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Because drugs give you the power to fly and see aliens. The government can't let that happen.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pis3rch

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]So because people cause much more harm trying to break a law, then the law should be removed....?

RadBooley

We have laws against murder too, and people still do it. I guess the laws aren't working-- let's repeal them.

Laws against murder aren't creating more murders. Laws against drug use ultimately do cause more harm then good, hence why you can still purchase booze in the US. Apparently they decided that prohibition was ineffective, illogical, and wrong.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Teenaged

Also most users here seem to view the subject as users (if they are) of non-heavy drugs. If one wants to support his use of a certain drug (may that be the least addictive) he/she shouldnt try to support all drugs altogether to support his case. Lets be rational. Not all drugs are the same and drug users themselves show with their lives how drugs are not an issue to be taken lightly.

A quote I have heard from drug addict herself is that when you are on drugs (addictive phase of course) is that "you feel empty, you feel nothing, you feel numb".

Users of non-heavy drugs should not have the misconception that all drugs make you feel "high" and happy. My father was a policeman and he has seen many cases. He has seen drug addicts literally rolling on the floor by stomachaches from not taking drugs; not taking your dose as obvious leads to great physical pain (not only psychological impact as many may think).

Idk thats my input.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Lets face it the legal status of a drug does not automatically mean that it won't be abused and have the associated negative social consequences.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

However, the major blowback with alcohol is not what we see with drugs like heroin, crystal meth and crack cocaine, for the simple reason that alcohol was previously legal and long-since socially accepted before alcohol prohibition.

To compare the then-and-now is invalid.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Theokhoth

Lets face it the legal status of a drug does not automatically mean that it won't be abused and have the associated negative social consequences.

Fandangle

This does NOT mean drugs should be given legal status and that they should be socially accepted. It is the duty of every functioning society to eliminate--not encourage--destructive behavior.

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RadBooley

[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

[QUOTE="pis3rch"] ...yeah, that's basically what happened with alcohol prohibition. The law was ineffective in preventing alcohol abuse, and mob violence surged. pis3rch

Laws against murder aren't creating more murders. Laws against drug use ultimately do cause more harm then good, hence why you can still purchase booze in the US. Apparently they decided that prohibition was ineffective, illogical, and wrong.

Laws against drug use don't encourage it either. The minute they're gone, there will likely be a huge increase in drug use.

Alcohol is too ingrained in American society, so there's no chance of getting rid of it. Sure, it causes a whole lot of problems, but it's here to stay. I don't see the logic in legalizing more drugs to compensate, though.