Why is GameSpot's logo on drugs?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#51 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@korvus: i know, but they're suppose to be neutral. They could do a blog about this, but i just think it's a little iffy. As i said, people should be allowed to marry whoever they want. As journalists though, you shouldn't be taking sides. The site should be reporting on games, not how great a new law is. No matter what your personal opinion is

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@EliOli: But you do understand how arrogant it sounds to claim to be the owner of the truth, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@The_Last_Ride: From what I heard, other gaming sites are doing the same. I don't disagree that gaming sites should be primarily about games, but that GS staff feels strongly about gay rights isn't anything new and I feel that a new logo (that as far as i know is only staying for a few days) is a lot less disruptive than if they all of a sudden decided to stop making gaming related articles and started making articles celebrating the new law.

Ultimately I don't really feel strongly one way or another...I'm just a user who has the "power" to clean spam, and I don't consider myself to be affiliated to GS in any way. If they ever do something I am really against I'll just stop logging in...it's not that I've never had a beef with their articles, but I like a bunch of people in OT, so I stay to help and chat =)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#54  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

Seems weird how people are getting upset about a colorful logo, rather than the fact the front page is shill central.

Even as as I type this out a video produced in association with Activision has been put up.

Different priority's I guess, personally I think it's fabulous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911
deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#55 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911
Member since 2008 • 493 Posts

@korvus: Yes I do. It was the reason that Jesus was crucified and most of the apostles and prophets were killed. Love was the reason that Jesus went to the cross and it was love that motivated the apostles and prophets. That didn't change the fact that most people rejected their message and hated them for sharing the truth in love. The farther we move as a society away from truth, the more people who speak the truth will be hated. Another way this affects us all as I had already said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@EliOli: But not everybody shares your truth...I'm not a religious person but I respect your right to live your life according to your religion of choice and it would be impolite of me to say something like "your religion is wrong" or "God doesn't exist" even if those were my views, so don't you think it's impolite to say that your truth trumps other people's way of life and saying "Your marriage isn't real because my faith says so"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

It's really not a matter of impolite or not impolite. There is no your truth or my truth. There is only truth. It is what it is my friend. We are all going to have to stand before God one day and give an account. We are all sinners and cannot stand before Him in our own righteousness. This was the reason Jesus came. He was the only person ever to have lived a sinless life. God's standard is perfection and we all fall short of that. We must repent of our sins and give our lives to Jesus Christ in order to be saved. There is no sin that is exempt from this need for repentance.

So... While Christian may be accused of hate and/or bigotry against those practicing the sin of homosexuality. It is actually the opposite that is true. To exclude those that practice this sin from the gospel message would be practicing hate or bigotry on the part of a Christian. Christianity is inclusive, not exclusive. God loves all of humanity, including those practicing homosexuality. It is not His will that any should perish.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@EliOli said:

@korvus: Homosexual marriage does not affect me at all because it does not exist. Our country abandoning truth does affect us all however. I've already mentioned some ways in which we are seeing it already. The Bible does not teach us to abandon truth. It actually teaches us to speak the truth. According to scripture those that practice the sin of homosexuality will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. Neither will those that approve of those that do.

I understand your intentions are good in supporting so called "SSM". Please understand mine as well. Knowing what I know, it would not be love on my part to support, accept, condone, whatever words you might want to use, this wholesale abandonment of truth, because the consequences are dire for those that follow this deceptive ideology. I do not hate anyone. I do not think that I am better than anyone. I am not seeking to deprive anyone of any rights. I am merely going to speak the truth because eternity is at stake here. It would be hate on my part to withhold the truth from those that need to hear it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#62 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@EliOli said:

@korvus: Homosexual marriage does not affect me at all because it does not exist. Our country abandoning truth does affect us all however. I've already mentioned some ways in which we are seeing it already. The Bible does not teach us to abandon truth. It actually teaches us to speak the truth. According to scripture those that practice the sin of homosexuality will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. Neither will those that approve of those that do.

I understand your intentions are good in supporting so called "SSM". Please understand mine as well. Knowing what I know, it would not be love on my part to support, accept, condone, whatever words you might want to use, this wholesale abandonment of truth, because the consequences are dire for those that follow this deceptive ideology. I do not hate anyone. I do not think that I am better than anyone. I am not seeking to deprive anyone of any rights. I am merely going to speak the truth because eternity is at stake here. It would be hate on my part to withhold the truth from those that need to hear it.

What you stated isn't even agreed upon by Christians. In fact, there are a number of Christian denominations who support this decision and advocated for the right to be granted legislatively.

I understand the notion that there can be but one truth, but how can you be sure enough in your own convictions that you would legally deny others rights based only on those convictions? Surely you understand that certain Muslim sects would like to do the same to you according to their own understanding of the truth, correct? Would that be acceptable? Or would that be unacceptable because their worldview is "wrong"? Who wins out, and how do we make such decisions?

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

Gamespot's having anal sex.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#65 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@EliOli said:

@korvus: Yes I do. It was the reason that Jesus was crucified and most of the apostles and prophets were killed. Love was the reason that Jesus went to the cross and it was love that motivated the apostles and prophets. That didn't change the fact that most people rejected their message and hated them for sharing the truth in love. The farther we move as a society away from truth, the more people who speak the truth will be hated. Another way this affects us all as I had already said.

*straight love
Between a man and twelve other men
Beautiful :')

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Legalization of gay marriage is the result of the extreme 'acceptance' movement. No matter how bizarre something is that someone does, accepting it proves you are tolerant and open minded to other people.

For example, in the past a man who carried on a relationship with a lifesize doll was said to need help. Now, in the age of 'acceptance', if having a relationship with a lifesize doll makes him happy, thats all that matters. Knock yourself out.

The sad part is, a REAL friend would try to get the guy help. He would not let someone practice a bizarre, destructive lifestyle and pat him on the back.

Even sadder all this does is confuse children and teach them that they can choose to have a male or a female as a sexual partner. Or that there is no benefit to having a mom and a dad, that two moms or two dads does the job as well as a mother and a father. Of course a selfish homosexual couple is unlikely to think of any of these scenarios.

The biggest lie in all of this is that accepting gay marriages or relationships is some modern, enlightened thinking. 2000 years ago Rome accepted homosexual relationships with open arms, and we see how they turned out. Their morals collapsed first, then their society. History repeats itself all the time my friends.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#68 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's in celebration of the United States making Marriage Equality a national law.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Well this thread turned into what wouldn't have been excepted at first eventually. Well done guys!

@uninspiredcup: Oh my God! This is really... desperate for Gamespot. Tbh I no longer come to GS for news on video games but seeing this make me wonder if Gamespot has turned into a marketing medium for AAA games instead of being a game website for gamers. The decadence.

@gwynnblade said:

Gamespot's having

In the holy month? How could it?

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@Iszdope said:

@DarthaPerkinjan: You're not my friend.

A real friend isnt afraid to tell someone when they've gone wayward. Its just many are afraid to do it because even though its the right thing to do, its also the hardest.

My brother hates my guts because I always correct him when he goes too far astray. I mean, he REALLY hates me. But I never once told him anything without the motivation behind it being my love for him, and wanting a better life for him. Some people dont like being told their course of action is wrong, that their lifestyle is destructive, etc. Michael Jackson is a good example of someone like that. He cut off any who dared question his bizarre lifestyle. The result? It got him killed. He had a yes man doctor who gave him anything he wanted despite knowing it was unsafe. That is the fate some may face.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@alim298 said:

@gwynnblade said:

Gamespot's having

Gamespot apostasized roughly the day some american cops joined this site.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@gwynnblade said:
@alim298 said:
@gwynnblade said:

Gamespot's having

Gamespot apostasized roughly the day some american cops joined this site.

Haha. What you wrote there... That's gold!

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Seems weird how people are getting upset about a colorful logo, rather than the fact the front page is shill central.

Even as as I type this out a video produced in association with Activision has been put up.

Different priority's I guess, personally I think it's fabulous.

That is hilarious. I don't come to GameSpot for anything but the forum anyway. Seems like I am justified in that decision.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@mattbbpl: Actually is is agreed upon by all Christians. Claiming the title Christian does not make one a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. Those that claim the title but do not follow Christ are not really Christian regardless of what they are calling themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@EliOli said:

@mattbbpl: Actually is is agreed upon by all Christians. Claiming the title Christian does not make one a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. Those that claim the title but do not follow Christ are not really Christian regardless of what they are calling themselves.

"No true Scotsman" aside, that's a dangerous claim. Are you absolutely sure you are following every rule in the Book? Because if you're not, it can be said that you are not truly following Christ either, and therefore, by your own definition, are not really Christian.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@korvus:

Mat 7:15-23 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. “You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? “Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. “A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.“Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Hi Korvus Dangerous maybe, but this is not my claim. It is what Jesus taught. And Christianity is not about following rules. It is about following Christ.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@EliOli said:

@korvus:

Mat 7:15-23 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. “You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? “Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. “A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.“Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Hi Korvus Dangerous maybe, but this is not my claim. It is what Jesus taught. And Christianity is not about following rules. It is about following Christ.

lol'd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@EliOli said:

@korvus:

I agree, but in that case who can tell whether someone is following Christ or not? If it's not about following rules then whoever believes they are following Christ is doing so, since there's no way to measure "following".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#80 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@The_Last_Ride:

Lol what, CNN NBC FOX are all terribly biased. Journalism being neutral??? LMAO.

You're kinda proving my point, there's a problem

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@korvus: i know, but they're suppose to be neutral. They could do a blog about this, but i just think it's a little iffy. As i said, people should be allowed to marry whoever they want. As journalists though, you shouldn't be taking sides. The site should be reporting on games, not how great a new law is. No matter what your personal opinion is

They haven't reported on the law. All they did was change the logo.

They aren't political journalists so why does it matter if their political views are biased (this is assuming that gay rights is even a political issue rather than a human one)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@korvus: This is what we have the scriptures for my friend. It's all right there. In essence though, a person who has truly accepted Jesus Christ becomes a new creation. They are not the same person they were before. Prior to my giving my life to Christ, I was into drinking, drugs, sex, etc... My life was a mess. I gave my life to Jesus and I am a different person.

Using the analogy of fruit as Jesus did, my life now bears the fruit of a Christian. A peach tree is not striving to bear peaches. It can't help itself. It will bear peaches because it is a peach tree. It is not trying to follow the rules of a peach tree in bearing peaches. It is something that comes about naturally.

So though the Bible does show us what type fruit Christians should be bearing, it is not a matter of rules. It is more a guide of being able to identify fruit. Using the bible as a guide, we can see what kind of fruit a tree is bearing and are able to identify what kind of tree it is.

I'm sure you have heard Christians say something like. "Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship." What they mean by that is that what Christians do, is done out of a love relationship with God. E.g. We have a couple of young people living with us that had been kicked out of their house by their parents. We did not take them in because we were trying to follow religious rules. We took them in from a genuine desire to help them. A person that is religious might have done the same thing, motivated by a desire to follow their religious teachings. For us it is a matter of love, not religion.

Criggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Criggie
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

Its a game website ..non-political...put it back to the way it was...not cool

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#84  Edited By BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan:

@EliOli:

good trolling but ya'll went too far, the thickness is just not believable

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mattbbpl
@EliOli said:

Please show me where Jesus affirmed the acts of discriminating against homosexuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@mattbbpl: There is nothing in scripture that justifies discrimination against homosexuals. The gospel message is for them as well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mattbbpl

@EliOli said:

@korvus:

As far as I can tell, you didn't actually add anything to the debate here. You simply spread FUD.

Regarding false prophets, this excerpt doesn't state who the false prophet is. Is it the person telling others not to discriminate against homosexuals, or is it the person breaking the second of the greatest commandments in order to legislatively wave their finger at their neighbors?

Of course, this is all irrelevant anyway as we live in a multi-cultural society and we shouldn't be creating legislation for no other reason than to force others to live the way our interpretation of our religion states they should live.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
@EliOli said:

@mattbbpl: There is nothing in scripture that justifies discrimination against homosexuals. The gospel message is for them as well.

What did Jesus say about homosexuality at all?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The word truth has little meaning to me. Why? Because truth has become little more than a buzzword for charlatans in an attempt to lend some credibility to their cause. There is a reason assertions that are claimed to be the truth are seldomly provided with any satisfactory evidence or argumentation for why it is the truth.

@EliOli said:

Our crime rates are declining and our technology is advancing. Outside of a few issues with the economy, the USA is in a pretty good state.

If anything, our increasingly advancing scientific knowledge is moving us closer and closer to the truth. Which also happens to be further and further from any religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@mattbbpl: Hi Matt. This might be a debate for you. For me it is a discussion. And this does state who the false prophets are. They are the ones that are not doing the will of the Father.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@Buckhannah: Jesus taught that homosexuality was a sinful practice.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mattbbpl

@EliOli said:

Where? Please point me to the verses.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Buckhannah

@EliOli: If you can assert the existence of an afterlife with no evidence, then we can dismiss the existence of an afterlife with no evidence. Telling people they will burn in hell for being exactly who they were born as is hateful, no matter how you dice it. Hell teachings as a whole are additionally incredibly damaging to young minds, having lost many nights of sleep as a child over whether or not I or some family members where going to hell forever, I can attest to that. Now of course if anyone tells me I am going to hell I just laugh in their faces as their ultimate trump card fails miserably to shut me up, but it was a tough journey undoing all that brainwashing and conditioning inflicted upon me by my well meaning but very misguided parents.

They didn't know better, but increasingly our generation does know better. Thats progress.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Buckhannah

@EliOli said:

Verse please.

If you were to read all four gospels thoroughly in search of Jesus’ teachings on homosexuality it would be a futile endeavor. Not only would you come to the end of the gospels without finding anything attributed to Jesus on the subject, you wouldn’t even find a single reference to the issue in any context.

In fact, there are only a handful of references to homosexuality in the entire Bible, but they are found in the Old Testament and Paul’s writings. (To put it in perspective, while there are only seven references to homosexuality, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of references to economic justice and the laws governing the accumulation and distribution of wealth.)

Jesus’ silence on the subject suggests that an issue which can be controversial and/or fraught with emotion these days was simply not a central issue in his lifetime 2,000 years ago in the land of Palestine. The fact that he didn’t address this issue leaves us all to ponder what he might say were he here today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@Buckhannah: Sorry for your childhood misunderstandings. I was not there to hear what your parents taught you.

The bible does not teach that people will burn in hell for being exactly who they were born as. Jesus offers the way of salvation for all. Where people spend eternity is entirely up to them. Salvation is a free gift open to all. In other words, we are all offered that same free pass. Whether we accept it or not is our own choice.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Buckhannah

@EliOli said:

@Buckhannah: Sorry for your childhood misunderstandings. I was not there to hear what your parents taught you.

The bible does not teach that people will burn in hell for being exactly who they were born as. Jesus offers the way of salvation for all. Where people spend eternity is entirely up to them. Salvation is a free gift open to all. In other words, we are all offered that same free pass. Whether we accept it or not is our own choice.

Do what Jesus says or burn in hell forever, same thing you are saying. The argument that no one is sent to hell, but chooses it, is an astoundingly bad one that has been covered thoroughly already, and has logical holes in it the size of semi-trucks. So please don't waste my time or yours rehashing old debunked debate tactics that don't work.

But yes, that is exactly what the bible teaches. You were born into "Original sin" (and of course we now know that Adam and Eve never existed and so Original Sin didn't happen rendering the entire supposed reason for Christs death moot) and you are going to hell because of it unless you follow these specific rules.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@mattbbpl: Hi Matt. You've heard the verses before. Your bearing tells me you have.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Buckhannah

@EliOli said:

@mattbbpl: Hi Matt. You've heard the verses before. Your bearing tells me you have.

No.

If you were to read all four gospels thoroughly in search of Jesus’ teachings on homosexuality it would be a futile endeavor. Not only would you come to the end of the gospels without finding anything attributed to Jesus on the subject, you wouldn’t even find a single reference to the issue in any context.

In fact, there are only a handful of references to homosexuality in the entire Bible, but they are found in the Old Testament and Paul’s writings. (To put it in perspective, while there are only seven references to homosexuality, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of references to economic justice and the laws governing the accumulation and distribution of wealth.)

Jesus’ silence on the subject suggests that an issue which can be controversial and/or fraught with emotion these days was simply not a central issue in his lifetime 2,000 years ago in the land of Palestine. The fact that he didn’t address this issue leaves us all to ponder what he might say were he here today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-5c60a3d1c2911

@Buckhannah: Actually "hell" is described differently in different places. The bible uses the phrase "outer darkness" and also describes hell in terms of fire. Essentially hell is eternal separation from God. I believe that the images the bible uses are to illustrate how great our suffering will be separated from God, not that we would feel physical pain as a fire were really burning us.

And no... I am not saying " Do what Jesus says or burn in hell forever". Jesus came to save us from the path we are already on. If you were hanging from a cliff and were going to fall to your death, you would not fault the person who came to rescue you for lowering a rope. At least I wouldn't. I'd be thankful they came to rescue me.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Buckhannah

@EliOli said:

@Buckhannah: Actually "hell" is described differently in different places. The bible uses the phrase "outer darkness" and also describes hell in terms of fire. Essentially hell is eternal separation from God. I believe that the images the bible uses are to illustrate how great our suffering will be separated from God, not that we would feel physical pain as a fire were really burning us.

And no... I am not saying " Do what Jesus says or burn in hell forever". Jesus came to save us from the path we are already on. If you were hanging from a cliff and were going to fall to your death, you would not fault the person who came to rescue you for lowering a rope. At least I wouldn't. I'd be thankful they came to rescue me.

Your example is not comparable to what the bible actually teaches. To be more accurate, Jesus would be the one to push me off the cliff, then would give conditions on whether or not he would lower the rope that I would have to agree to before he saved me. To be accurate "do what Jesus says or burn in hell forever" is exactly what you and the New Testament says, you just try to spin it to make it sound like a choice. In this case you make Jesus look like a petty thug, a greasy mafia guy in a slick suit saying "mighty nice place ya got here… would be a shame if you didn't accept my generous offer and something were to happen to it".