Why does society look down upon fat and/or obese people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts

I was shopping at walmart earlier today and i saw a really obese couple, riding around on these scooter things(not sure what they are called) and i noticed people looking at them, whispering to each other, immature kids/teens saying and doing gestures about them, it was kind of heart breaking. I couldn't even begin to imagine what they must of felt like, im sure they knew of their sorroundings. If i knew that everytime i went outside i would be viewed different or ridiculed, i would never leave my home.

Why do people do this? it shouldn't be something shocking anymore, these things are normal for society now aday. It would be like making fun of a person in a wheelchair, it wouldn't make sense since its something we are all used to.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
It is n't natural. I don't think it should be something people accept as who they are because it's unhealthy, plus we live in a comfortable world so having kids and passing on fat genes happens. Wall-E is sure to happen.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

they take up seat space on the train... that's my problem with them... and some get gassy in public places.

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts
I don't think they should be made fun of. However, I do think it's a tad messed up if they use the store's scooters that are meant for handicapped people, not people who really let themselves go.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.cheese_game619
This..
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.Dogswithguns
This..

I think that is a rather simplistic view, some people are a lot more prone then others to weight gain.

mr_blobby213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mr_blobby213
Member since 2010 • 727 Posts
They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.cheese_game619
Couldn't have said it better.
Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
You people might as well of been the ones at walmart.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Brutal and to the point. I concur.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Insecurity will do that.
xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

because there are entire starving populations in africa...

mr_blobby213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mr_blobby213
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzaZWH97vPs&feature=player_embedded
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

I don't look down on obese people. Why would I?

There is this mentality though, which I agree on, that these people can only blame themselves.

I remember a show that had obese people in it that straight up said that we should feel sorry for them and that they were victims and shouldn't blame themselves. Eff that, if you are an adult and fat then you can only blame yourself. For the same reason I don't feel sorry for smokers who gets cancer because of it. I don't look down on fat people, I look down on People who likens self-inflicted health problems with health problems you can't be blamed for.

There are situation when you can't blame on it themselves though. There are rare diseases or if you are a child that doesn't understand with he/she are doing. When I see a fat 5 year old I feel sorry for the kid, when it's a 25 year old man I couldn't care less.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cheese_game619

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"]They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.tenaka2

This..

I think that is a rather simplistic view, some people are a lot more prone then others to weight gain.

Whilst that is true, everyone loses weight the same way and it is very simplistic - burn more calories than you consume.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
They are the reason for famine in Africa....and everywhere else.
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JLF1MarkII

because there are entire starving populations in africa...

xXShortroundXx

And how would people eating less in the western world help that?

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JLF1MarkII

Whilst that is true, everyone loses weight the same way and it is very simplistic - burn more calories than you consume.cheese_game619

Agreed.

I have a body that puts on weight very easily unless I excercise. What do I do about this? I excercise. 25min of pilates every morning and I make sure I walk 15k steps each day. Add 30min of weightlifting 3 times a week and I'm staying fit.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

Well for one reason among thousands,

Why is it i get the same 32 kilo luggage alowance as someone who is 200 kilos?

No he used up his 32 kilos on his juggs

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

What do you expect it's Walmart? I avoid that place like the plague.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17701 Posts

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"]They are lazy. They can't control their diet. Now they need scooters to move. Too bad fatties, you brought it on yourself. They fill up our hospitals and our seats. They cost the tax payers money and why? Because they are lazy sacks of s***. Blahblahblah it's genetics and I was raised wrong wahhhh STFU and get on a treadmill. Stop eating ice cream for breakfast. Use some goddamn sense and lose some weight.tenaka2

This..

Yea a bit simplistic but still right on. Obese people are obese by and large because they are lazy, eat poorly and live a sedentary lifestyle. I always see these "1000 pound dad" shows on TV, and what do these people do the whole time? Stuff their faces. And then they cry because they can't leave the house and are prisoners. Cry me a river. Maybe if they had the discipline to eat smartly and got off their butt and worked up a sweat at the gym five days a week they wouldn't be. It takes effort to maintain a healthy weight (unless you're a teenager), and heavy people can't be bothered to put it in. As such, I have a very hard time feeling sorry for them.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

^^couldnt have said it better myself

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Being fat I can understand, being unhealthy I can understand, but when it gets to the stage were you can't walk because of it, by riding those scooters they are making things worse for themselves. If you don't want to be healthy, that's your own problem, I couldn't care less. But when it gets to the stage that you are unable to hold up your own weight (or are too lazy to), you are sacrifising your own freedom, and should be prepared to live with the consequences.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Why does society look down upon fat and/or obese people? 1) because obese people pretend to be angel 2) they actually hate sharing food to other people 3) many of them think they look beautiful in the inside-out like oprah 4) they sweat too much 5) their hand always greasy
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Because society can't look around them?
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
Because society can't look around them?Floppy_Jim
what the hell is your sig about?, and why are they all wearing sportswear tracksuits? is it in serbia or croatia? Its always been a mystery
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cheese_game619
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]Why does society look down upon fat and/or obese people? 1) because obese people pretend to be angel 2) they actually hate sharing food to other people 3) many of them think they look beautiful in the inside-out like oprah 4) they sweat too much 5) their hand always greasy

XD
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

They're like those people in the movie Wall E

They're just lazy.

Ever watch Ricky Gervais making fun of obesity ? Look that one up. Ricky Gervais on obesity.

mr_blobby213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mr_blobby213

They're like those people in the movie Wall E

They're just lazy.

Ever watch Ricky Gervais making fun of obesity ? Look that one up. Ricky Gervais on obesity.

Skarwolf

:lol: I was just thinking of watching his stand ups.

Billy Connolly also does great fat people bashing.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I don't know. I mean, I don't give a damn at people weighting about 100-120 kg, but when I see people with 200-220kg, that is stupid and they don't care. Obese people should care with themselves, if they don't care about their looks at least let them care with their health.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
You obviously don't know me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I guess because obesity is an undesirable feature.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Because society can't look around them?sonofsmeagle
what the hell is your sig about?, and why are they all wearing sportswear tracksuits? is it in serbia or croatia? Its always been a mystery

Just another day in Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnPH9u8-zs

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

They are overcrowding the planet more than the Chinese. :P

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
...seen as a character flaw (gluttony and laziness)
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

It's hard to feel sad for a slob when all they do is stuff junk food and drink soda. I remember watching a German report about an obese 6 year old called Jessica on Youtube.

The German report straight up told the viewer that it was the parents fault, for allowing her daughter to stuff herself, take her out to pizza joint and being unable to say no. Then I compared it with an American newsreport, where they said no such things (perhaps not to offend the obese part of the population) and instead told the viewer how brave Jessica was and how her mother was trying to be a good mother, by making her happy etc.

wolfbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 wolfbm
Member since 2002 • 630 Posts
Well the first part of your story is the problem kids these days aren't taught to be respectful of people and teens are mean since they think it makes them look cool to friends or makes them feel better about themselves. It seems society sees someone really fat and automatically assumes they are that way because they over eat or are lazy, while not considering that maybe the person has a medical problem such as an under active thyroid or worse. It seems it is easier to blame a person rather than practice empathy. My father-in-law is in a wheel chair being quadrapalegic for 30 years now and it is horrible how people look at him as less than human. I constantly help him out in stores and people see that and assume he is helpless but in truth he lives alone in a house he helped build,builds all kinds of cabinets and stuff,cleans his house,makes his food and drives his car. He is hardly helpless but ,like fat people, society seems to see him as less than a person.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

It's hard to feel sad for a slob when all they do is stuff junk food and drink soda. I remember watching a German report about an obese 6 year old called Jessica on Youtube. The German report straight up told the viewer that it was the parents fault, for allowing her daughter to stuff herself and take her out to pizza joint and just the mother couldn't say no. Then I compared it with a newsreport, didn't do such thing (perhaps not to offend the obese part of the population) and told the viewer how brave Jessica was and how her mother was trying to be a good mother, by making her happy etc.m25105

My cousin did this with her daughters. All they ate were pizza and junk food. So they became obese, and were made fun of at school. They also developed health issues and one had to be rushed to hospital. I saw my cousin the next day and the husband and her were ranting and raving. I thought they were upset about the daughter but no it was because the doctor basically told them off. He asked how could they do this to their daughter, it should be considered child abuse, that it was all their fault.

You should've seen them they couldn't accept it all. These people spend their lives blaming everyone else for their problems and to console themselves order another pizza.

CajunMadePunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CajunMadePunk
Member since 2011 • 7425 Posts
Cause it's not healthy to be fat and it's that person's fault for being so lazy while they stuff their face with junky unhealthy foods.
mr_blobby213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mr_blobby213
I used to have fat neighbours, they came around here everyday (from 8am to about 5pm, sometimes even 10pm) and stunk the place out, ate all the food, disrupted my parents plans for the day, annoyed everyone and even deleted my save file for Sacred while playing the computer. They even came round on Christmas (they were not invited) while the rest of my family were here and ruined it. The only reason we put up with them for so long is because my Mum felt sorry for them and didn't want to hurt their feelings. The one day my Mum did actually do something (she didn't answer the door) they started crying on the doorstep so she ended up letting their pathetic asses in. That time period was truly a nightmare.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Let's say you're in a room full of hot chicks and then a fat chick walks in. It's just like someone pooped in your milk.

play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

Not all fat/obese people are lazy etc, but most are.

the ones that dont have any glandular problems etc dont deserve pity for being mentally weak and succumbing to temptation. only contempt. Im glad society is starting to take a bias to fat people as it will only encourage them to not be fat. (again this is directed at people who just binge eat, not those who have medical problems and are fat through those)

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ColdExistence
Member since 2011 • 974 Posts
I don't pay attention to people. It's not any one of my business. The only time I'd be annoyed by fat people is if they're sitting next to me on a bus or an airplane.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shoot-first

I used to have fat neighbours, they came around here everyday (from 8am to about 5pm, sometimes even 10pm) and stunk the place out, ate all the food, disrupted my parents plans for the day, annoyed everyone and even deleted my save file for Sacred while playing the computer. They even came round on Christmas (they were not invited) while the rest of my family were here and ruined it. The only reason we put up with them for so long is because my Mum felt sorry for them and didn't want to hurt their feelings. The one day my Mum did actually do something (she didn't answer the door) they started crying on the doorstep so she ended up letting their pathetic asses in. That time period was truly a nightmare.mr_blobby213

I can understand why they are frowned upon. Especially after that type of behavior. It kind of makes you want to slap their fat around and shove twinkies down their throat while you cover their mouth with your hand and massage their throat with the other.

Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts
Because they're fat. Though I don't care, so long as I am no bothered. That goes for anyone, really.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
You people might as well of been the ones at walmart.Second_Hokage
The ones pointing and and shaking their heads in disgust? Yeah.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shoot-first

You people might as well of been the ones at walmart.Second_Hokage

You people? :|

StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
to eliminate lifestyles that are harmful to the community
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Being horizontally gifted tends to imply things about your personality to other people. Also fat people look funny as long as they're not naked.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Because they are pissed that fat people don't get cold in the winter.